Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#MeToo has caught on, good thing or bad thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

professore wrote: »
    I agree with you, except the part about that it's exclusively men who harass, and exclusively women who get harassed. It's more common that way, but by no means is it exclusive.

I never said that that's the case, but it is certanly the majority of cases. But yeah, it's just an example.

Note that I tried to stay gender neutral throughout the entire post, "people, person"

just used the genders as an example for the majority of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

To get back to the original point, I think #MeToo should be a good thing, but can't help feeling that there are people, particularly celebrities, who are hijacking it to play the victim Olympics and publicise themselves with it - when if they had spoken out earlier could have saved lots of fellow actresses from sexual abuse.

Another thing is just using it to bash all men, or that only women are victims of abuse. That's just plain wrong and genuine misandry.

Other than that, for people who suffered genuine sexual harassment, and/or abuse - and I am under no illusions that there are many many people in this group, including everyone in this thread who has discussed it - it is a positive thing to realise you are not alone and can finally have it acknowledged in an open forum. I have huge sympathy and support for you.

I don't think anyone in the 21st century believes otherwise apart from a few nutjobs.

To expand on the context point, I was involved in a conversation recently with a woman who is not my wife, in a group context, where we talked about boobs, her dreaming about me in a sexual way, and her shoving her breasts in my direction, that was totally non creepy and hilarious - everyone was laughing so much we were crying, including my wife.

Another night we were out and a guy gave perfectly innocuous seeming compliments to a woman in our company, but he was 1000% creepy. So it is totally dependent on context.

If we ban all conversations like the former, life will be very dull indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

So it is totally dependent on context.

You're goddamn right. I can say "creepy things" to the girls I'm good friends with and they know it's a bit of craic. I've told my girlfriends best friend she has nice tits in the company of my missus and friends when it was "appropirate". My housemate has a "banter" style of conversation with his workmates where they talk like that, but noone seems to have any offense.

Out of context I told a young women she has a great pair of tits, and would be considered harrassment or innapropriate.

Likewise with my housemate. Out of context it'd be the different.

I think it's the intent as well as the context. Why did I say it? To make her feel better, she was complaining about her body.
    If I said it to a random women, she'll think I'm after something more sinister or some alterior motives.

There's more to be said alongside motive and intent as well as context.

You're goddamn right. I can say "creepy things" to the girls I'm good friends with and they know it's a bit of craic. I've told my girlfriends best friend she has nice tits in the company of my missus and friends when it was "appropirate".

Never gone THAT far myself ... but I take your point.

• Advertisement

On the other extreme, there are people I know who would be offended if someone used the word "fart" in any context. So it really varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Monica Lewinsky tweeted this.

I know there are loads of rumours about Bill but I thought what occurred between him and Lewinsky was consensual?

Or is that Clinton promised her a promotion in return for sexual services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You're goddamn right. I can say "creepy things" to the girls I'm good friends with and they know it's a bit of craic.
    While I take your point, and agree with it, there are those out there who would adamantly cry "how do you know?"

How do you know that everyone there took it as a bit of craic? Perhaps someone there was brave-facing it, but inside felt really uncomfortable by your comments.

Has the hashtag already morphed into #regretsit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

each to their own. I do approach women on the street, in a bookstore, etc. I've had plenty of women express that they weren't interested, and I didn't go any further. No worries. Smile politely, wish them a good day, and go about my business elsewhere. Just as I've had women express their thanks for the honest compliment or women who were happy to go for a coffee with me.

The key is the manner in which the approach is done. Politeness is everything.

It's not so much a problem in Ireland where as far as I know the vast vast majority of men would not randomly approach a woman. But my sister is in the US and it's incredibly common over there. At first she found it amusing that someone would ask for her number while queueing in the bank but it gets to the stage where she just wants to get through one day without a guy cracking onto her on the subway or while she's out for a jog. I've been on the phone to her while she's out for a walk hearing her telling a guy to go away as he approaches her because she knows what's coming.

Now your behaviour probably doesn't upset anyone as it's rare in Ireland. But if it is so normal and acceptable it should be ok for more guys to do it. And then you have a situation where women would be annoyed by your behaviour because it happens to them so often. The truth is it's not really acceptable and polite in Ireland. It's just rare. And if you're walking away straight after you've no idea if she's actually upset or happy that you approached her.

Sure, that's an easy example. There's more than simply relying on body language there. There are loads of examples of how women can show they have absolutely no interest in a guy... and the guy should recognise it. I'm not disagreeing about that. But body language is still not a reliable guide.

Can you give an example where you think a woman who subsequently expressed an annoyance at being approached did not communicate it adequately in her body language. The signs are as I stated and they're universal. I've seen them many a time. It is an easy example and it's the most common one.
    So, for you, an honest compliment without any expectation of more is now creepy. Gotcha.
    If it's to a complete randomers then yes. Absolutely.

And I agree. These guys rarely withdraw. But these guys do not represent the majority. Do you genuinely believe that most men behave that way? Being rude and persisting in the face of lack of interest?
    Never said the majority of men do this. I'm a man and I don't. The question is whether it's acceptable for the men who do do this to do it. I'm saying it's not.
    Why not? I've had women do it to me. All without any expectation beyond getting to know each other. Or establishing if there is/can be interest/attraction.
    Because its creepy.
    I'm not suggesting that other men behave as I do.

Good. I'd hate to see it become common in Ireland.
    And while all these claims that men donI wonder how many of those relationships would have occured if the guy was so fearful of offending the girl simply by asking her out?
    I've been pretty clear that I'm not expecting men to never ask a woman out. I've talked about appropriate situations to do it in.
    I have no idea the connection of arranged marriages to this topic.
    The point is that just because something can occasionally result in a. Happy relationship does not mean that behaviour or tradition is a good thing In general.

• Advertisement

I know there are loads of rumours about Bill but I thought what occurred between him and Lewinsky was consensual?

It's probably unconnected. There are plenty who would have considered Monica fair game after the scandal.

Candie wrote: »
    It's probably unconnected. There are plenty who would have considered Monica fair game after the scandal.

excellent point actually

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, what are you babbling on about? Have you confused me with someone else? I'm fairly certain I know the difference between what reasonable minded folks would consider to be 'a creepy one'. Not sure you do though, as you've specifically said that approaching a woman (which would like start with a simple hello or comment) and actually striking up a conversation is 'creepy'. That's a really odd viewpoint.

As for women not being able to win, not sure really sure what you're on about. I also made no such claim that 'they liked it'. But I'm fairly certain millions of relationships would never have happened if guys (or girls) hadn't struck up a conversation with a stranger.

You do know that there are many, many women who you know.. join gyms, take up activities and a whole host of other things to meet people, including a potential partner (and guys likewise).

You seem to be pointing towards this #metoo as some kind of definitive list of how all women do NOT like to be approached. Maybe we should set up a #yesplease hashtag as an experiment to see how women (and men) DO like to be approached, so we can avoid all this nastiness in the future.

Perhaps you have mad some damaging encounters that have tainted your viewpoint, but saying that a guy (or girl) striking up a conversation with someone they don't yet know, is creepy by default.. well that's a rather depressing point of view. Are there some rules we need to make law governing social behavior when it comes to interacting with a potential new partner?

Dunno how many times I have to repeat this with how.many examples. Not all approaches are creepy. But if you're at a bus stop, maybe a few metres away from a woman, she hasn't looked at your made any inviting eye contact, you walk up to her and say hello and start chatting ignoring the non attractive men and women at the bus stop. Would you do that?

And I think youre vastly.overstating how many relationships are struck up from this method. All the ones I know were friends first, worked together (with previous flirty interactions ), internet dating, etc.

And women as far as I'm aware rarely join gyms to meet men. They'll either work out alone (in which case many would consider a random approach to be creepy) or go to classes. Sure there are more social gym stuff like CrossFit but they'd have a wide social element with men interacting with other men etc. Not just cold approaches.

I've no damaging encounters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

She tweeted #metoo?
    Unless she stated it was about Bill, I'd say it's not in relation to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Candie wrote: »

Pretty sure it is the Clinton incident. She gives talks about being the first person to be publicly shamed on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Pretty sure it is the Clinton incident. She gives talks about being the first person to be publicly shamed on the internet.

Publicly shamed is not the same as sexually assaulted and if she's referring to those that shamed her then it's still not about bill?

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It's not so much a problem in Ireland where as far as I know the vast vast majority of men would not randomly approach a woman. But my sister is in the US and it's incredibly common over there. At first she found it amusing that someone would ask for her number while queueing in the bank but it gets to the stage where she just wants to get through one day without a guy cracking onto her on the subway or while she's out for a jog. I've been on the phone to her while she's out for a walk hearing her telling a guy to go away as he approaches her because she knows what's coming.

I've spent time in a variety of states in the US, and I think it's a rather strange place. Full of extreme views and loads upon loads of minority groups/associations all believing they have the right to speak their piece/do their thing.

It's also a breeding ground for the PUA scene and seducton.alt.fast ideologies regarding dating. I wouldn't hold up the states as being a comfortable environment for dating... for men or women.
    Now your behaviour probably doesn't upset anyone as it's rare in Ireland. But if it is so normal and acceptable it should be ok for more guys to do it. And then you have a situation where women would be annoyed by your behaviour because it happens to them so often. The truth is it's not really acceptable and polite in Ireland. It's just rare. And if you're walking away straight after you've no idea if she's actually upset or happy that you approached her.

Ireland has more of the tradition that dating is done in bars & clubs with introductions from family/friends coming a close second. I never enjoyed the bar/club scene in Ireland, and I've never liked the emphasis on drinking for dating. "Want to go for a drink?" Not my thing.

My way works because I'm polite. I'm not getting angry/offended because someone refuses my attention. If I meet someone who is hostile, I walk away. Simple as that.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea I'm walking away without finding out her reaction. I'm not simply dive-bombing her with a compliment & running away blushing at my audacity. I gauge her reaction from her words. Women in Ireland are generally not shy about expressing their opinions on something.
    Can you give an example where you think a woman who subsequently expressed an annoyance at being approached did not communicate it adequately in her body language. The signs are as I stated and they're universal. I've seen them many a time. It is an easy example and it's the most common one.

Body language is often based on culture. Approach someone from a culture or background different from yours and you will get different visual cues. That problem is compounded depending on how much she has travelled, who her friends, idols, etc, are.

I'm not saying you can't see the reaction in another person. But body language alone is not an accurate guide. TBH Most women I've met are very capable of verbally saying how they feel. It's not difficult to say "i have a boyfriend" or "I'm not interested".

Granted that there are guys who are persistant and won't stop to such an answer, but the vast majority of guys will.
    If it's to a complete randomers then yes. Absolutely.

Okie dokie. As I said, different perspectives.
    Never said the majority of men do this. I'm a man and I don't. The question is whether it's acceptable for the men who do do this to do it. I'm saying it's not.

And I agree with you... however I object to the portrayal of our gender as being guilty without reinforcing that it is still a minority behaving in such a bad manner. Claiming that sexual harassment is a widespread problem without providing statistical evidence is suggesting that the majority are guilty...
    Because its creepy.

For you. For another person, it might not be. There's plenty of things that I find distasteful that other find cute or romantic. My perception is not king.

If we're going to promote the belief in individuals, then we must also accept that many people have different measures of whats acceptable and what is not. This is why we have the law. It (should) provides a clear definitive idea of what society wants.
    Good. I'd hate to see it become common in Ireland.

Whereas while I disagree with your very broad stroke belief of what is creepy, I try not to judge others behavior except when it is breaking the law.
    I've been pretty clear that I'm not expecting men to never ask a woman out. I've talked about appropriate situations to do it in.

Yup. Selected and limited venues approved by you. Can't agree. Most of the best loving couples I know (who have remained together) met randomly. Their own stories show how lucky they were, and very few of them met in the traditionally acceptable venues. (although honestly that could be a reflection of the type of friends I have. Doesn't change my perspective though.)

And I would put the bar/club scene to be far worse places for the safety of women, than approaching someone in a cafe/bookstore or even in a crowded street.
    The point is that just because something can occasionally result in a. Happy relationship does not mean that behaviour or tradition is a good thing In general.

I don't agree. We are adults. We have a legal system in place to protect both genders, although there is still a bias in favor of women in certain areas.

There is always going to be a minority that refuses to behave well... male/female/other, and I don't believe in restricting the majority because of a few twats. Social change takes time, and our society is changing regarding the rights of all genders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Let's be honest, it's kind of hard to force someone to give you a blowjob. All you got to do is clamp your jaws shut on the offending member. If Monica Lewinsky is referring to Bill Clinton with MeToo, that is ridiculous.

She was hung out to dry though. Ole Bill was quite the creep

Let's be honest, it's kind of hard to force someone to give you a blowjob. All you got to do is clamp your jaws shut on the offending member. If Monica Lewinsky is referring to Bill Clinton with MeToo, that is ridiculous.

She was hung out to dry though. Ole Bill was quite the creep

I suspect Hilary had more to say about it that ole Bill. Do we include her as being a creep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you comparing words on a screen with the face-to-face interactions I was talking about?

No-one can force you to read their posts, you can either put them on ignore or just scroll on by.

No matter how much you dislike and disagree with a person's posts, they cannot actually pop out of the screen and attack you.

The same cannot be said about a person who is standing right there in front of you.

I know that you know this perfectly well.

Yes, I treat online interactions the same way I treat offline interactions, and so when someone says something I think isn't right, I'll either dismiss it out of hand, or I'll challenge it, regardless as you say of who says it or writes it or whatever. I won't waste time with someone who's just saying or posting crap for the sake of it, and that's why I generally like I said earlier, avoid twitter, the digital equivalent of syphilis.

The part of Kylith's post you chose to highlight was putting in clear and simple terms the basic advice that women are given all the time - be wary, be watchful, don't put yourself in risky situations.
    You see versions of it all the time in this very forum, in the slightly disguised but oh so familiar form of the unlocked car analogy.

The part of kylith's post I highlighted was this -

Every man on a quiet street is a potential threat
    Every man walking behind us could be a rapist
    Men we don't know are threats
    Men we do know are even bigger threats
    The single biggest threat to women is men

That's the one and only part I called crap, because it is crap. The rest of her post I could completely understand where she was coming from. Now in terms of what passes for 'advice' given to women on here 'to protect themselves', I've also questioned that crap, because it is crap, and the motivation behind it is transparent as glass, particularly in the recent thread on George Hook's 'musings'. There's no polite way to say someone is talking shyte, when they really are talking ****e, or posting shyte, but I don't waste time with the car analogy crap coming from someone who's opinion I can already see is not for changing.

Women are expected to simultaneously be conscious of the fact that this is a dangerous world and, for example, not to expect to be able to walk down dark streets in perfect safety but at the same time, they are paranoid and unfair and mean if they are wary of men. The core message seems to be

'Life's unfair and tough, it's foolish to think you can leave your car analogy (ie body) unlocked and not have it stolen, but at the same time you ought to trust ME because I told you I'm trustworthy'

I don't fcuking trust myself most of the time so no, I wouldn't expect any woman to trust me tbh :pac: However, having said that, I do know where you're coming from, and as I've always said when that sort of 'advice' is doled out - what woman is expected to take that seriously? It's bull****, and the person saying it knows bloody well that women aren't going to take it seriously. It's a transparent attempt to shift the responsibility for the actions of the person who did wrong, onto the person they wronged.

At the same time, this is why I was questioning the idea behind statements like this -

You're asking people to challenge crap, but the crap you agree with should be allowed a free pass. I really don't work like that, my bullshít detector is gender neutral.

dudara wrote: »
    What she has posted is not cr*p as far as a lot of women are concerned. I think you would have to search extremely hard to find one woman on the planet who has not been made feel uncomfortable by a man at some stage.

That's not the part of kylith's post I was saying was crap. Of course it's not, and I completely understood where she was coming from. It's the next bit caused a wtf? moment, this -

This does not mean that all men are sex-pests or rapists - far from it - and I definitely do not subscribe to that line of thought.

I really don't know how else anyone is supposed to interpret that? How is that saying anything other than suggesting all men are sex-pests or rapists? Sorry, "potential" threat, "could" be a rapist. I'd respectfully suggest someone with that mentality should really seek professional help, because that kind of thinking just isn't normal, and it's certainly not the kind of thinking I would be encouraging in girls and young women.

It's the sort of stuff though that is encouraged on social media and a minority (thankfully) of girls and young women incorporate it into their thinking, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy - they become more anxious and so... hyper-aware, to the point where it's exhausting, mentally and physically. It's debilitating, and it affects the way they interact with the opposite sex, who are indeed their families, their friends, their co-workers, their boyfriends, their husbands... basically they do indeed come to look at every man as a potential threat to their safety and well-being, when the reality is that the kind of horror stories they read on social media are actually incredibly unlikely ever to happen to them. It's the mere thought of it though, has them in that state of mind where they believe they have to be hyper-vigilant 24/7, and it's reinforced through confirmation bias.

I do think though that men can be oblivious at times to the amount of cr*p women put up with from men. See, the rapist in a dark alleyway scenario is easier to understand. It's a clear threat situation and we all (men/women) can picture that. For me, the problem is the far more insidious type incidents.

My personal experiences aren't the worst but I bet you that they're probably far more common than the rapist scenario:

For me, I just want the men in my life to be aware that this cr*p happens. Call it out when you see it. I can deal with it, but not everyone can.

They're quite aware of it already, you don't get to be 40 years of age and not be aware of these things. Hell you learn these things from the moment you're born, it's never had to be explicitly explained to people because they learn social standards from everyone in their lives, not just their parents or their peers. Some men simply choose to disregard what they've learned throughout their lives, and they aren't going to be told any different, by anyone, either man nor woman, and they're certainly not going to listen to women on social media who are asking them to stop, thinking that a hashtag or telling of their experiences of those type of men is actually going to stop them or have them consider the repercussions of their behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

About the original topic, I don't really see how it is "dangerous" it's not like people aren't going to have some level of awareness of this stuff from personal conversations and interactions.

What I do see is that it might be a bit pointless though, for example facebook friend A is "sensitive"/drama ish, posts #metoo, Facebook friend B (who's pretty lefty) posts #metoo has privately talked about a very very serious ( non PC due to identity of aggressor) incident in their youth.
    When one looks at other posts you have no idea of the severity, I think most men will have experienced some level of sexual harassment in their youth in messy nightclubs/bars when one looks at the floods of #metoo posts is one meant to think it's more like A or B or one's own experience as a guy.

In terms of harassment/cold approaches as a guy I have not really understood how some women seem to be a magnet for this type of behaviour while others who are just as physically attractive seem to avoid it nearly completely.

I know myself I get annoyed in the fact that the whole ass pinching stuff/unwelcome physical contact stuff and aggressive come ons from older women stopped when I was slightly older and more physically imposing (ironically also better with women) but as an outside observer I often don't see why X receives lots of harassment while Y is ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yes, I treat online interactions the same way I treat offline interactions, and so when someone says something I think isn't right, I'll either dismiss it out of hand, or I'll challenge it, regardless as you say of who says it or writes it or whatever. I won't waste time with someone who's just saying or posting crap for the sake of it, and that's why I generally like I said earlier, avoid twitter, the digital equivalent of syphilis.

The part of kylith's post I highlighted was this -

That's the one and only part I called crap, because it is crap. The rest of her post I could completely understand where she was coming from. Now in terms of what passes for 'advice' given to women on here 'to protect themselves', I've also questioned that crap, because it is crap, and the motivation behind it is transparent as glass, particularly in the recent thread on George Hook's 'musings'. There's no polite way to say someone is talking shyte, when they really are talking ****e, or posting shyte, but I don't waste time with the car analogy crap coming from someone who's opinion I can already see is not for changing.

I don't fcuking trust myself most of the time so no, I wouldn't expect any woman to trust me tbh :pac: However, having said that, I do know where you're coming from, and as I've always said when that sort of 'advice' is doled out - what woman is expected to take that seriously? It's bull****, and the person saying it knows bloody well that women aren't going to take it seriously. It's a transparent attempt to shift the responsibility for the actions of the person who did wrong, onto the person they wronged.

At the same time, this is why I was questioning the idea behind statements like this -

You're asking people to challenge crap, but the crap you agree with should be allowed a free pass. I really don't work like that, my bullshít detector is gender neutral.

That's not the part of kylith's post I was saying was crap. Of course it's not, and I completely understood where she was coming from. It's the next bit caused a wtf? moment, this -

I really don't know how else anyone is supposed to interpret that? How is that saying anything other than suggesting all men are sex-pests or rapists? Sorry, "potential" threat, "could" be a rapist. I'd respectfully suggest someone with that mentality should really seek professional help, because that kind of thinking just isn't normal, and it's certainly not the kind of thinking I would be encouraging in girls and young women.

It's the sort of stuff though that is encouraged on social media and a minority (thankfully) of girls and young women incorporate it into their thinking, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy - they become more anxious and so... hyper-aware, to the point where it's exhausting, mentally and physically. It's debilitating, and it affects the way they interact with the opposite sex, who are indeed their families, their friends, their co-workers, their boyfriends, their husbands... basically they do indeed come to look at every man as a potential threat to their safety and well-being, when the reality is that the kind of horror stories they read on social media are actually incredibly unlikely ever to happen to them. It's the mere thought of it though, has them in that state of mind where they believe they have to be hyper-vigilant 24/7, and it's reinforced through confirmation bias.

They're quite aware of it already, you don't get to be 40 years of age and not be aware of these things. Hell you learn these things from the moment you're born, it's never had to be explicitly explained to people because they learn social standards from everyone in their lives, not just their parents or their peers. Some men simply choose to disregard what they've learned throughout their lives, and they aren't going to be told any different, by anyone, either man nor woman, and they're certainly not going to listen to women on social media who are asking them to stop, thinking that a hashtag or telling of their experiences of those type of men is actually going to stop them or have them consider the repercussions of their behaviour.

Jack, I'll be honest I had to read your post 4 times before I could make sense of it, and I still think you are missing the point by a large margin.

Whether such the actual risk justifies such caution, the majority of women are brought up to be very aware of their surroundings, to be aware of the importance of not being in isolated places by themselves, to be aware if someone might be following them at night and so on.

That is the common experience of most women. You can handwave it away as nonsense all you like but you will always be speaking from a position of ignorance.

That you think it's a recent phenomenon that is somehow linked to social media shows just how little you know. The first advice I got on the subject was when I was about ten, and it was from my grandmother (born 1912). She was passing on things that her own mother had told her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

The first time I recall receiving a scary level of male attention was when I was on J1 in New Jersey as an 18 year old and couldn't walk down the street without being gawked at, yelled at, whistled at, cat called and even followed. I'd have to say that America is a hotbed of activity for this and to completely generalise, a lot more sexist. Some parts are worse than others obviously, but walking through the streets of New York on your own as a woman can be bloody eye-opening.

There's cultural aspects to it too, certain ethnic communities are more susceptible to it, I even see it in London when the prolonged stares and cold approaches will most often be African or Asian men.

It certainly isn't a socially acceptable way to talk to women in Ireland, but I have to say when you live in a country where "cold approaches" are the norm and every man on the street is viewing you as a potential conquest, it gets bloody old very fast. The majority of women - especially Irish women - are not going to respond positively to that. I'd compare it to chuggers - who's ever happy to be faced with an over-enthusiastic head yelling about famine in Africa and trying to get money off you when you're trying to get from A to B? Probably 2 percent of people at a conservative guess.

And as with chuggers, it's not illegal, I wouldn't label it sexual harassment (except for the following or the ones that don't take no for an answer) but I'm always dismayed when people try to encourage it as a way of meeting women because the vast majority of women don't leave the house hoping or expecting to be picked up or to have their appearance commented upon freely and when they respond negatively to it out roll the "Irish women are beeatches" remarks and round and round we go.

I've spent time in a variety of states in the US, and I think it's a rather strange place. Full of extreme views and loads upon loads of minority groups/associations all believing they have the right to speak their piece/do their thing.

It's also a breeding ground for the PUA scene and seducton.alt.fast ideologies regarding dating. I wouldn't hold up the states as being a comfortable environment for dating... for men or women.

You seem to be avoiding my point. The dating scene in the US isn't all PUA. What annoys my sister, and I'm guessing most women , are the constant approaches. If a significant amount of men behave like you it quickly becomes a very negative environment. You're trying to find any reason why the US dating scene (which is basically many men acting in the way you act) is dysfunctional while avoiding the most obvious reason.

[/Quote]
    My way works because I'm polite. I'm not getting angry/offended because someone refuses my attention. If I meet someone who is hostile, I walk away. Simple as that.

Just because you think you're not bothering women doesn't mean you're not. My friend who was harassed if you remember the example I gave, wasn't rude to the guy, she didn't get angry and tell him to feck off. He probably thinks his behaviour was fine and had no effect on her because he wasnt abusive. She still had to leave the area to avoid him though.

I'm not saying you dive bomb. But if a woman says no thank you to you and you go "can't blame a guy for trying" and move on you've no idea if it bothered her or not. The fact that you were polite does not mean she found it a positive or neutral experience.

Body language is often based on culture. Approach someone from a culture or background different from yours and you will get different visual cues. That problem is compounded depending on how much she has travelled, who her friends, idols, etc, are.

And in what exact culture does a woman looking annoyed grimacing and not partaking in conversation mean she's receptive to advances? I'd love to know

If it's confusing to you we can say that in Irish culture it means "leave me alone you Tool"

And I agree with you... however I object to the portrayal of our gender as being guilty without reinforcing that it is still a minority behaving in such a bad manner. Claiming that sexual harassment is a widespread problem without providing statistical evidence is suggesting that the majority are guilty...

What statistical data would you be happy with. Because it would have to be based on self reporting. Have you harassed a woman it are you a woman who has been harassed. No man is going to admit he harassed and it's clear from the reaction to #metoo that you'd try to minimize women's self reported experiences.
    Yup. Selected and limited venues approved by you. Can't agree. Most of the best loving couples I know (who have remained together) met randomly. Their own stories show how lucky they were, and very few of them met in the traditionally acceptable venues. (although honestly that could be a reflection of the type of friends I have. Doesn't change my perspective though.)

And I would put the bar/club scene to be far worse places for the safety of women, than approaching someone in a cafe/bookstore or even in a crowded street.

So most of the couple's you know was a case of a man randomly approaching a woman with no prior interaction and no reason to believe she was interested? Could you give 3 short examples? Because I find that extremely hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jack, I'll be honest I had to read your post 4 times before I could make sense of it, and I still think you are missing the point by a large margin.

Whether such the actual risk justifies such caution, the majority of women are brought up to be very aware of their surroundings, to be aware of the importance of not being in isolated places by themselves, to be aware if someone might be following them at night and so on.

That is the common experience of most women. You can handwave it away as nonsense all you like but you will always be speaking from a position of ignorance.

That you think it's a recent phenomenon that is somehow linked to social media shows just how little you know. The first advice I got on the subject was when I was about ten, and it was from my grandmother (born 1912). She was passing on things that her own mother had told her.

I didn't handwave it away first of all, and second of all because women aren't generally raised in isolated bubbles by themselves away from all men, I'm certainly not speaking from a position of ignorance. I'm quite aware of what women learn too from their parents, their peers, their friends, their co-workers and so on.

Are you seriously suggesting that your mother learned this from her mother -

I know that only a vanishingly small minority of women have ever thought that of men, and thought it long before your grandmothers time too.

You seem to be avoiding my point. The dating scene in the US isn't all PUA. What annoys my sister, and I'm guessing most women , are the constant approaches. If a significant amount of men behave like you it quickly becomes a very negative environment. You're trying to find any reason why the US dating scene (which is basically many men acting in the way you act) is dysfunctional while avoiding the most obvious reason.

Nope. Not avoiding your point. TBH I didn't see your point in raising the US, and spoke about the US being stranger than, say, Europe.

You're suggesting that the constant approaches by men towards women can become annoying, and I'm sure that's true. For others, they might enjoy the attention. You're trying to paint all women as being tired of the attention they receive...

As for people behaving like me (I just love your negative perception of how I meet women), Spain and Italy have very strong cultures where women are approached anywhere. Same with my experiences in Eastern Europe and Asia. Doesn't seem to bother them much. At least, while i have been politely turned down there, I have never received any strong negative reactions.
    Just because you think you're not bothering women doesn't mean you're not.

I'm sorry but that's just funny. You can apply that reasoning to everything.
    My friend who was harassed if you remember the example I gave, wasn't rude to the guy, she didn't get angry and tell him to feck off. He probably thinks his behaviour was fine and had no effect on her because he wasnt abusive. She still had to leave the area to avoid him though.

Your example spoke of a guy who wouldn't stop pestering her though. I've already said that I leave her be if I get a rejection. Different scenario entirely.
    I'm not saying you dive bomb. But if a woman says no thank you to you and you go "can't blame a guy for trying" and move on you've no idea if it bothered her or not. The fact that you were polite does not mean she found it a positive or neutral experience.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in her head even if she accepts my advances and agrees to go for a coffee with me. Saying that you can know is the height of arrogance.

Perhaps she was annoyed by my approaching her. I still didn't harass her. If you go around always afraid that you're annoying, you'll lead a very lonely life. The only thing you can do, is make the approach, be nice (regardless of the reaction), and not behave like a dick.
    And in what exact culture does a woman looking annoyed grimacing and not partaking in conversation mean she's receptive to advances? I'd love to know

None. I didn't suggest that it was. You're pushing the angle that someone can always tell by her reaction (by using very specific examples), that body language is a perfectly simple way of knowing whats happening.

I have simply said that body language alone is not reliable.
    If it's confusing to you we can say that in Irish culture it means "leave me alone you Tool"

And hence you reinforce my point. She can say that she is not interested. And without insulting the person. Insulting someone just increases the risk of it going pear shaped.
    What statistical data would you be happy with. Because it would have to be based on self reporting. Have you harassed a woman it are you a woman who has been harassed. No man is going to admit he harassed and it's clear from the reaction to #metoo that you'd try to minimize women's self reported experiences.

Reports of claims made to the police, the number of claims verified as being true, when this harassment/abuse occured, which category of harassment/abuse it was, and where did it happen. etc.

At the moment, the metoo campaign is simply collecting unverified claims without any frame of reference for time. The claim could be something that happened 50 years ago, or five years ago. Also doesn't provide any suggestion as to whether it happened in Ireland, Africa or wherever.
    So most of the couple's you know was a case of a man randomly approaching a woman with no prior interaction and no reason to believe she was interested? Could you give 3 short examples? Because I find that extremely hard to believe.

Why would I give you examples when you've just said you won't believe me? :rolleyes:

I get it. You don't like the idea of men approaching women in the street or anywhere outside of your approved venues. Your judgment shines throughout your post above. But the issue isn't with approaching women in the street. Many women do enjoy that kind of approach, and enjoy the attention. Some do, and some don't. That's life.

The issue is with certain men behaving like a dick, being impolite, and not respecting boundaries. If a woman says she's not interested, then the guy (or girl doing the approach) should bugger off. Simple.

EDIT:
    it's clear from the reaction to #metoo that you'd try to minimize women's self reported experiences.

Where have I minimized any womans "reported" experiences? I have been consistent to asking that the claims be verified. That is not minimizing anything. I get that you don't agree with me... but seriously? Get off your imaginary moral high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The initial silence from the 'sisterhood' was truly indicitive of the feminist lobby's priorities. Bill was their man, and so what if he had 5 (alleged) affairs or was accused of sexual harassment by 3 or 4 different young women? He was pro-choice; was pro Affirmative Action and gave the feminist lobby a few more gestures, like appointing a woman to the Supreme Court and appointing women to high positions.

The 'victims' didn't matter then and don't matter now. The largest feminist organisations in America ridiculed and dismissed the women who claim they were assaulted by a powerful man.

• Advertisement

Nope. Not avoiding your point. TBH I didn't see your point in raising the US, and spoke about the US being stranger than, say, Europe.

You're suggesting that the constant approaches by men towards women can become annoying, and I'm sure that's true. For others, they might enjoy the attention. You're trying to paint all women as being tired of the attention they receive...

As for people behaving like me (I just love your negative perception of how I meet women), Spain and Italy have very strong cultures where women are approached anywhere. Same with my experiences in Eastern Europe and Asia. Doesn't seem to bother them much. At least, while i have been politely turned down there, I have never received any strong negative reactions.

My point in raising the US is that it's a society (at least in NYC) Where a significant number of men cold approach women like you do. I can't say that all women find this inappropriate. But I know my sister and her friends (who are not feminists and found it funny at first) all grew to hate this because it's constant.

Whether you think American society is weird is beside the point. They don't know if these men have strange political views (or whatever problem you have with americans). They just don't want to be constabtly cracked onto.

And I have heard extremely negative opinions from Mediterranean women on their harassment culture. I don't know about harassment in Asia at all.

I'm sorry but that's just funny. You can apply that reasoning to everything.

Exactly but you seem to be implying above that because these women don't react in an over negative way to you you can conclude it's not a major problem for them. Yet ignore tweets from the likes of brie Larson who clearly aren't happy about it. Do you think she shouted at that airport security guard? Or did she just sigh and move on leaving him thinking "well that was a neutral experience for her because she didn't get angry?"

Your example spoke of a guy who wouldn't stop pestering her though. I've already said that I leave her be if I get a rejection. Different scenario entirely.

The point I was making was not about his behaviour but that how he viewed his behaviour based on her reaction was completely flawed. She didn't shout at him or get angry and very few women will shout out you for what you do. You cannot conclude from that that it's not a negative experience for them.
    I have absolutely no idea what's going on in her head even if she accepts my advances and agrees to go for a coffee with me. Saying that you can know is the height of arrogance.

That's being completely obtuse. Of course you would conclude that a woman who agrees to go to coffee with you is not upset about your approach. Whereas a woman who rejects you and you immediately leave you can make no conclusions. Trying to turn this into a philosophical "nobody knows what anybody else is really thinking" is ridiculous.

Perhaps she was annoyed by my approaching her. I still didn't harass her. If you go around always afraid that you're annoying, you'll lead a very lonely life. The only thing you can do, is make the approach, be nice (regardless of the reaction), and not behave like a dick.

That's not the only thing you can do. You could not approach her in the first place. Can I ask what your success ratio is? What percentage of women agree to swap numbers or go to coffee?
    None. I didn't suggest that it was. You're pushing the angle that someone can always tell by her reaction (by using very specific examples), that body language is a perfectly simple way of knowing whats happening.

I have simply said that body language alone is not reliable.

It is if you get the standard reaction which is one word answers and avoiding eye contact etc.

I asked earlier but I don't think you responded. Can you give an example you've witnessed where a woman who gave one word answers and didn't engage in conversation actually was receptive?

Reports of claims made to the police, the number of claims verified as being true, when this harassment/abuse occured, which category of harassment/abuse it was, and where did it happen. etc.

But we're currently talking about whether women appreciate cold approaches. You expect a woman to go to the police about cold approaches?

Why would I give you examples when you've just said you won't believe me? :rolleyes:

So really the majority of your friends in relationships met through friends or in a bar.....

My point in raising the US is that it's a society (at least in NYC) Where a significant number of men cold approach women like you do. I can't say that all women find this inappropriate. But I know my sister and her friends (who are not feminists and found it funny at first) all grew to hate this because it's constant.

No disagreement there. New Yorkers take pride in being insulting to each other, and I didn't enjoy my time working there. I can completely sympathize with your sister for her experiences.

I'll give you an alternative example. My ex is a dancer in a club where she's constantly fending off offers from men and women. She's quite attractive with a very fit body. When she's walking down the street, she will receive loads of attention and guys/girls will approach her even while her current boyfriend is with her. She loves the attention. It reinforces her own image of being beautiful... and if someone bothers her too much, she has no problem asking another guy to intervene to help her... without having to promise anything to the guy. Or she'll flag down a cop or speak to the management in a venue. She knows her rights and won't allow anyone to abuse her. She's had bad experiences in her life but doesn't allow them to rule her or prevent her from enjoying what she likes to do. Fact is that it was my ex that encouraged me to do my first street approaches.

Your sister had the experience of not enjoying that kind of lifestyle. Thats a pity. My ex loves it. Good for her.

I'm not going to suggest that women like my ex or your sister are a majority or minority because I haven't seen any real research into this area to suggest a clear trend. Once I do I will reassess my opinions.
    Whether you think American society is weird is beside the point. They don't know if these men have strange political views (or whatever problem you have with americans). They just don't want to be constabtly cracked onto.

Agreed. They shouldn't need to be either. I'm not taking responsibility for every guy out there that approaches a girl. That's unreasonable. I can repeat that I've never had any strong negative responses to my approaches, beyond being ignored or being told they weren't interested.
    And I have heard extremely negative opinions from Mediterranean women on their harassment culture. I don't know about harassment in Asia at all.

Whereas I've heard the opposite from female friends and ex's who love the attention they receive. Perhaps because the men there are more flirty and humorous about it without this element of threat or rudeness. I'm not going to suggest that everyone feels that way. I'm sure there are plenty of women who hate being approached...Doesn't change the fact that as long as dating exists, women will be approached by men.
    Exactly but you seem to be implying above that because these women don't react in an over negative way to you you can conclude it's not a major problem for them. Yet ignore tweets from the likes of brie Larson who clearly aren't happy about it. Do you think she shouted at that airport security guard? Or did she just sigh and move on leaving him thinking "well that was a neutral experience for her because she didn't get angry?"

I don't use twitter or most social media. I tried them years ago but found most of the content to be rather superficial. Not my kind of environment.

You seem to be looking for a solid mass of people who possess no individuality. That all women hate being approached. That all women dislike the attention they receive. That all men who approach outside of approved venues/methods are creepy. Life is not like that. We are individuals with individual experiences and feelings. Some people will dislike something whereas others won't.
    The point I was making was not about his behaviour but that how he viewed his behaviour based on her reaction was completely flawed. She didn't shout at him or get angry and very few women will shout out you for what you do. You cannot conclude from that that it's not a negative experience for them.

Nope. Just as you cannot know that they didn't appreciate the attention from someone who was polite, honest, and behaved like a gentleman.
    That's being completely obtuse. Of course you would conclude that a woman who agrees to go to coffee with you is not upset about your approach. Whereas a woman who rejects you and you immediately leave you can make no conclusions. Trying to turn this into a philosophical "nobody knows what anybody else is really thinking" is ridiculous.

Or that she forgot about the encounter the second I left her viewing....? Agreeing to come have coffee with me, and meeting me for a second date is a pretty good indication that she enjoyed the attention. Agreeing to come with me for a coffee, and not meeting for a second date, suggests she wasn't attracted to me or she wasn't interested. Either way didn't harm her in the slightest.
    That's not the only thing you can do. You could not approach her in the first place.

Yup.. and since I work alone freelancing from home, prefer to have a small circle of friends, dislike bars/clubs, I can what? Accept being alone for the rest of my life? You really don't understand what being single is like in your 40s.
    Can I ask what your success ratio is? What percentage of women agree to swap numbers or go to coffee?

Hmm... Never really thought about a success rate. In the last six months? 60-70% success rate on getting them to join me for coffee or a promise of a meeting on the same day... and probably close to 80% on getting a second date. I don't rush into relationships, and I'm not seeking ONS experiences so I tend to do quite well.
    It is if you get the standard reaction which is one word answers and avoiding eye contact etc.

I'll accept you have more experience of that than I have. Usually women will tell me if they're not interested... I guess it's because I'm no threat to them.
    I asked earlier but I don't think you responded. Can you give an example you've witnessed where a woman who gave one word answers and didn't engage in conversation actually was receptive?

It's never happened to me. The closest thing to that is being completely ignored and the woman walking right past me.
    But we're currently talking about whether women appreciate cold approaches. You expect a woman to go to the police about cold approaches?

No, we're talking about harassment. You're the one trying to link a cold approach with harassment. I don't think it is, except for the manner in which the approach is made, and the objective of the person making the approach.
    So really the majority of your friends in relationships met through friends or in a bar.....

Nope. I'll give you a hint. They were all in ways you've suggested that you don't approve of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

#froglivesmatter

Yeah like I said, who cares about anyone else. Psychopaths deserve love too.

Hold on a second. A woman is a psychopath if she approaches a guy at a bus stop with romantic/sexual intent?

Please tell me that you're joking...

Hold on a second. A woman is a psychopath if she approaches a guy at a bus stop with romantic/sexual intent?

Please tell me that you're joking...

Nah I'm joking about the other poster whos basically talking about himself and how good it is for him and how it adds to his life and he ignores the fact that it may be a negative experience for the women

In fairness to you you're at last trying to convince yourself it's not a negative experience for the women. He doesn't mention them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Not at all. Go look at some of my previous posts and you might see why.

Are you in your 50’s or 60’s? Honest question.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are you in your 50’s or 60’s? Honest question.

Much much younger

No disagreement there. New Yorkers take pride in being insulting to each other, and I didn't enjoy my time working there. I can completely sympathize with your sister for her experiences.
    actually only a tiny number of the guys got abusive when rejected. It's nothing to do with that overt rudeness. She's just tired of having to politely knock back guys constantly.
    I'll give you an alternative example. My ex is a dancer in a club where she's constantly fending off offers from men and women. She's quite attractive with a very fit body. When she's walking down the street, she will receive loads of attention and guys/girls will approach her even while her current boyfriend is with her. She loves the attention. It reinforces her own image of being beautiful... and if someone bothers her too much, she has no problem asking another guy to intervene to help her... without having to promise anything to the guy. Or she'll flag down a cop or speak to the management in a venue. She knows her rights and won't allow anyone to abuse her. She's had bad experiences in her life but doesn't allow them to rule her or prevent her from enjoying what she likes to do. Fact is that it was my ex that encouraged me to do my first street approaches.
    so your ex has to frequently ask a man to deal with other men for her. Maybe she's fine with living that life but I don't think most women would be.
    Your sister had the experience of not enjoying that kind of lifestyle. Thats a pity. My ex loves it. Good for her.

I'm not going to suggest that women like my ex or your sister are a majority or minority because I haven't seen any real research into this area to suggest a clear trend. Once I do I will reassess my opinions.

Well let's be generous and say that it's 50/50. Would it not bother you that you have a 50% chance of making someone days worse?

Let's say I can non sexually compliment a co worker. Male or female. Something about how nice their new shirt was. If I felt that 50% would be made uncomfortable by that, I just wouldn't do it. Even if the other 50% would love it. I know you supposedly ignore Twitter but this whole thread is about a significant number of women posting their negative experiences online. Go take a read. You may get a better idea of how many women are enjoying your advances.
    Agreed. They shouldn't need to be either. I'm not taking responsibility for every guy out there that approaches a girl. That's unreasonable. I can repeat that I've never had any strong negative responses to my approaches, beyond being ignored or being told they weren't interested.

You don't have to take responsibility for them. You are one of them. And do you really believe a woman is going to give a strong negative reaction. They all know the minute they do the guy will. Play the "I was just being friendly card".

Whereas I've heard the opposite from female friends and ex's who love the attention they receive. Perhaps because the men there are more flirty and humorous about it without this element of threat or rudeness. I'm not going to suggest that everyone feels that way. I'm sure there are plenty of women who hate being approached...Doesn't change the fact that as long as dating exists, women will be approached by men.
    Well I'm very surprised because I've never heard the Mediterranean street come on culture being portrayed as playful and friendly. The compete opposite as a mtteR of fact.
    You seem to be looking for a solid mass of people who possess no individuality. That all women hate being approached. That all women dislike the attention they receive. That all men who approach outside of approved venues/methods are creepy. Life is not like that. We are individuals with individual experiences and feelings. Some people will dislike something whereas others won't.

Not at all. But like I said above, if I thought i was bothering a significant number of people with my behaviour I'd stop it.
    Yup.. and since I work alone freelancing from home, prefer to have a small circle of friends, dislike bars/clubs, I can what? Accept being alone for the rest of my life? You really don't understand what being single is like in your 40s.

The difference is you have a choice. The women you approach unfortunateky can't choose to not be approached.
    No, we're talking about harassment. You're the one trying to link a cold approach with harassment. I don't think it is, except for the manner in which the approach is made, and the objective of the person making the approach.

We (me and you) are clearly talking about the cold approach for multiple.posts now. It's not just me harping on about it in a vacuum. All your posts for the last few pages have been about the cold approach.

https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/italian-street-harassment/1820102

Here's one experience of the Mediterranean "friendly and playful" street culture that women love.so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RayM wrote: »
    How fucking old are you? Twelve?

Hit a nerve.
    Jaysus

• Advertisement

so your ex has to frequently ask a man to deal with other men for her. Maybe she's fine with living that life but I don't think most women would be.

It really is interesting the way you read other peoples posts. That's nothing close to what I said.
    Well let's be generous and say that it's 50/50. Would it not bother you that you have a 50% chance of making someone days worse?

Why make it generous? Keep it as I posted it.

And I can't see why I need to answer that question. Perhaps flip it around and consider it from the angle of improving her life a little by meeting someone who respects her?
    Let's say I can non sexually compliment a co worker. Male or female. Something about how nice their new shirt was. If I felt that 50% would be made uncomfortable by that, I just wouldn't do it. Even if the other 50% would love it. I know you supposedly ignore Twitter but this whole thread is about a significant number of women posting their negative experiences online. Go take a read. You may get a better idea of how many women are enjoying your advances.

Lol. These women aren't posting about me. I'm still in contact with all of the women I've dated since I returned to Ireland, and they've remained good friends. And I have read quite a number of the posts which have been reposted to forums on the internet.

"this whole thread is about a significant number of women posting their negative experiences online" without any verification of validity, when it occurred, where it occurred, etc.

You made a statement that I sought to minimize their experiences. I haven't. I've simply asked for verification. If a group of guys posted on twitter or boards about sexual abuse by female Gardai without any evidence to support their claims, they would be ignored or ridiculed as nutjobs. But if a group of women do it, then all these vague claims must be believed... If not, then you're somehow minimizing or refusing all such claims. Doesn't make sense.
    You don't have to take responsibility for them. You are one of them. And do you really believe a woman is going to give a strong negative reaction. They all know the minute they do the guy will. Play the "I was just being friendly card".

one of "them". As I said. You see blocks of people. Black and white. Nothing in-between.
    Well I'm very surprised because I've never heard the Mediterranean street come on culture being portrayed as playful and friendly. The compete opposite as a mtteR of fact.

get out and meet more people... although that might be difficult for you considering you don't know if your conversation is annoying them.
    Not at all. But like I said above, if I thought i was bothering a significant number of people with my behaviour I'd stop it.

Ahh.. all your communication is done online or through apps?

Your own logic supports the idea that any interaction you have with another person might cause them annoyance or such.
    The difference is you have a choice. The women you approach unfortunateky can't choose to not be approached.

She can easily refuse to communicate in return, continue walking, stop for a second and say she's busy... Gosh.. what a terrible existance! To have to stop long enough to reject an advance.

I guess you would like all salespeople to never speak to people... women will just love missing all those offers in shops/street because there might be a possibility that some women might be offended by the salesperson.
    We (me and you) are clearly talking about the cold approach for multiple.posts now. It's not just me harping on about it in a vacuum. All your posts for the last few pages have been about the cold approach.

Nope. Still talking about harassment of women. It's just that you have been focusing on my approaching women and your belief that most women have no desire to ever be approached outside of your approved venues or introductions.

BTW you still didn't really answer about your belief that women are psychopaths if they chat to a guy at a bus stop...

And I can't see why I need to answer that question. Perhaps flip it around and consider it from the angle of improving her life a little by meeting someone who respects her?

Really? I don't think you really respect them. You've basically said you could see how it could bother a woman to be approached. You seem aware of #metoo and that some women have posted that they're bothered by cold approaches. You se to have accepted that I know women who are annoyed at being approached even when the guy is polite. But as far as I can tell you don't give the slightest damn whether youve personally bothered a woman with your polite approach. You don't seem respectful to me at all.
    Lol. These women aren't posting about me. I'm still in contact with all of the women I've dated since I returned to Ireland, and they've remained good friends. And I have read quite a number of the posts which have been reposted to forums on the internet.

Yes they are. The example from brie Larson the guy wasn't persistent or harassing. Just like you. She was still pissed off about it.

"this whole thread is about a significant number of women posting their negative experiences online" without any verification of validity, when it occurred, where it occurred, etc.

Well maybe some of them are lieing about being cold approached. As a heavy cold approached yourself I'd think you'd be more likely to believe them.

You made a statement that I sought to minimize their experiences. I haven't. I've simply asked for verification. If a group of guys posted on twitter or boards about sexual abuse by female Gardai without any evidence to support their claims, they would be ignored or ridiculed as nutjobs. But if a group of women do it, then all these vague claims must be believed... If not, then you're somehow minimizing or refusing all such claims. Doesn't make sense.

I was talking about cold approaches which is what you and me are discussing, we never discussed any other kind of harassment. The only data available in that case is self reporting. And why I think you're minimizing their experiences is that you seem to be aware that this bother many women but don't really seem to care.
    get out and meet more people... although that might be difficult for you considering you don't know if your conversation is annoying them.
    Probably shouldn't take a dig at my social life one post after saying you worked at home and didn't have many friends ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ahh.. all your communication is done online or through apps?
    Not at all. Basically I see you as the kind of people who play music out of their phones on the bus. They don't really care if they're bothering other people as long as they're happy.
    Your own logic supports the idea that any interaction you have with another person might cause them annoyance or such.

Sure any behaviour can annoy people and I try to minimize where possible. For instance I know people don't like me dropping heavy weights in the gym so I avoid it as best I can. Some people think that being considerate of others is a good thing.
    She can easily refuse to communicate in return, continue walking, stop for a second and say she's busy... Gosh.. what a terrible existance! To have to stop long enough to reject an advance.

Well many women find it annoying and constant. So again you're minimizing their experiencEs.
    BTW you still didn't really answer about your belief that women are psychopaths if they chat to a guy at a bus stop...

I said nah which means no. Is that not clear enough that I don't think they're psychopaths. I also said I was making a joke about that PUA poster and his me me me post. Was that not clear enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What is p u a?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

anewme wrote: »
    What is p u a?

pick up artist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Hit a nerve.
    Jaysus

Just sounded like something a very fragile 12-year-old boy would say. The idea that there are "proper" and "improper" men, based on your own shallow idea of what masculinity entails.

You whine about the "constant vilification of male sexual desire", and then go on to vilify male sexual desire - implying that a man couldn't possibly express feminist views unless he was trying to ingratiate himself with women. People like you do men a far greater disservice than feminists ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

anewme wrote: »
    What is p u a?

tame_her.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Just sounded like something a very fragile 12-year-old boy would say. The idea that there are "proper" and "improper" men, based on your own shallow idea of what masculinity entails.

You whine about the "constant vilification of male sexual desire", and then go on to vilify male sexual desire - implying that a man couldn't possibly express feminist views unless he was trying to ingratiate himself with women. People like you do men a far greater disservice than feminists ever will.

You may think this attitude may get you the ride RayM.

All it will do is leave you in the friend zone for ever and ever. While they cry on your shoulder saying, why can't I find a man like you and then hand you her handbag to hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There are a lot of people on this thread who obviously live in a vacuum, with no idea of normal day to day life is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You may think this attitude may get you the ride RayM.

All it will do is leave you in the friend zone for ever and ever. While they cry on your shoulder saying, why can't I find a man like you and then hand you her handbag to hold.

That post says a lot about you, tbh. Quite the nasty individual, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

That post says a lot about you, tbh. Quite the nasty individual, aren't you?

Just trying to help you.

I'll ask all the straight women on this thread a quick question.

Would you pick a feminine guy or masculine guy as your partner?

• Advertisement
Advertisement