Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#MeToo has caught on, good thing or bad thing ?

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Do you have any objective statistical issues with a poster saying that in their opinion a minority of.men have at least one incident of harassment?

I think he's pointing out that you don't come across as expressing your singular opinion... instead, you're stating as facts that the rest of us just have to accept as true. You're right because, well, it's you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You have to start somewhere. Start with the reports which can be submitted first, and then, we can look to creating a system to deal with the other problems.

You've decided that because some issues can't be reported or enforced, then you must avoid pushing the remainder to be entered for official records, and as statistical evidence.

Sure, this thread talks about "low level harassment" but it also covers far more about more serious harassment that women have to experience. Stands to reason to focus on that first, deal with it, and move on to the remainder later.
    Low level harassment leads to high level issues. We need to start at the bottom to change this. Women have to deal with stress from men (some men, apparently I have to make that clear every single time because gods forbid some bloke gets his feelings hurt) on an ongoing, daily, basis. Pretending it's not an issue because it's not physical assault is a shtty thing to do.

If you can instill in young men that disrespecting women is not acceptable you will likely see a drop in serious incidents when those men are of age.
    Nope. It doesn't. Because they still have not been verified. Until those claims are verified as being true, you're not going to get that much support from most men. Why? because we've seen the claims by hardline feminists for decades, and they've often (not always) been proven to be baseless.

So, do you see women as inherently liars?

So what do you want us to do? Do we go to the police constantly? There'd be queues out the door with women reporting men catcalling, men leering on the bus, men feeling their arses in shops, etc. Some women would be there a dozen times a day.

Not cleaning up dog sht is a crime. Do you report it every time you step in dog sht? Men catcalling in the street is the dogsht of our daily lives.

But you won't accept the fact that we're telling you about it now, thousands of us, because we don't have a police report to go along with our daily experiences.

We report stuff and we're hysterical and reporting trivial issues.
    We don't report it and nothing will be done because there's no statistics about something that women are literally telling you happens all the time.
    We try a middle ground on social media and we're jumping on bandwagons and making stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

kylith wrote: »
    If you can instill in young men that disrespecting women is not acceptable you will likely see a drop in serious incidents when those men are of age.

Oh give me a break.

You think it's not instilled into boys to respect women and girls over men and boys?? Well, you think wrong. It's one of the first things we are told to do and it very much is drilled into us. Constantly in society we hear men being told 'Don't speak like that to a woman' have you ever heard the opposite? If a man is seen even arguing with a woman in public it will get stares and you can be damn sure if he even raised his voice then someone would intervene and ask the woman was she okay.

We live in a largely chivalrous still, despite feminists moans about it over the years. Males disrespecting women is very much scorned upon. How high exactly do you want your pedestal to be?

Oh give me a fcuking break.

You think it's not instilled into boys to respect women and girls over men and boys?? Well, you think wrong. It's one of the first things we are told to do and it very much is drilled into us. Constantly in society we hear men being told 'Don't speak like that to a woman' have you ever heard the opposite? If a man is seen even arguing with a woman in public it will get stares and you can be damn sure if he even raised his voice then someone would intervene and ask the woman was she okay.

We live in a largely chivalrous still, despite feminists moans about it over the years. Males disrespecting women is very much scorned upon. How high exactly do you want your pedestal to be?

Well then where are this guys getting it? They're hardly picking the idea that it's ok to fondle or catcall women up off the ground, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I am retreating from this thread because I am sick of reading a post by someone recounting an experience and being met with but... insert repeated excuse here. And I can guarantee I am not the only one who has done this. I can also guarantee there are plenty of posters who have chosen not to post in this thread because of the repeated but but but...

Low level harassment leads to high level issues. We need to start at the bottom to change this.

LLMMLL already suggested/stated that it was near on impossible to follow up on the low level harassment... so It's completely illogical to start at the bottom with the areas that you believe can't be enforced.

- Register the extreme acts of harassment/abuse, form statistical proof, get the whole society behind it, and then Deal harshly with the extreme acts of harassment/abuse. Once that stain of behavior has been removed/severely limited, then turn to dealing with the lesser offenses.
    Women have to deal with stress from men (some men, apparently I have to make that clear every single time because gods forbid some bloke gets his feelings hurt) on an ongoing, daily, basis. Pretending it's not an issue because it's not physical assault is a shtty thing to do.

I didn't pretend that it's not an issue. In fact, I have suggested a logical and reasonable step towards reducing this kind of behavior. start thinking of logical, reasonable steps to reduce this behavior without alienating either gender.

We've already had that attitude for decades. Gentleman? Our mothers usually taught us not to play so rough near girls, to respect them, to consider ourselves as their protectors. Movies, literature, the media, have all reinforced this attitude that men were supposed to protect women. What happens when a ship sinks? Women and children first. There are loads upon loads of other examples of how society places the welfare of women ahead of men.

Then "women"/society told us that they didn't want our protection and that behaving like a gentleman was sexist.

And even back when we were encouraged to behave like fine young gentlemen, and protect women, there were still ignorant ****s who harassed or abused women. Relying on society or culture is no longer as effective. There's been too much movement towards idividualism, non-conformist attitudes, etc.
    So, do you see women as inherently liars?

Huh? The way your mind works is... interesting. Let me put it this way. I've known many women to lie, and many women to tell the truth. Telling a lie, exaggerating, etc are not gender based.
    So what do you want us to do? Do we go to the police constantly? There'd be queues out the door with women reporting men catcalling, men leering on the bus, men feeling their arses in shops, etc. Some women would be there a dozen times a day.

Maybe they would... if they were receiving harassment or abuse that is illegal.

And then we would be able to verify the claims, etc etc etc. Get's tiresome repeating the same thing.

Do you want change, or do you want to rant without any real change?
    Not cleaning up dog sht is a crime. Do you report it every time you step in dog sht? Men catcalling in the street is the dogsht of our daily lives.

As for dog ****, the signs and enforced fines have worked wonders in my hometown. It does happen still, but very rarely.
    But you won't accept the fact that we're telling you about it now, thousands of us, because we don't have a police report to go along with our daily experiences.

Yup. I won't accept the fact... Because "your" experiences have not been proven to be true, there is no frame of reference for time, location, or circumstances.
    We report stuff and we're hysterical and reporting trivial issues.
    We don't report it and nothing will be done because there's no statistics about something that women are literally telling you happens all the time.
    We try a middle ground on social media and we're jumping on bandwagons and making stuff up.

You said all that... not me. I have from the beginning repeated the expectation that claims need to be verified before they can be considered.

Let me put it this way. Someone goes online and says she was raped by you. They tell everybody on the internet about how you stalked her, drugged hit her, abused her, and raped her. (You're innocent. You don't even know the girl). But for whatever reason, she has decided that you are a rapist. So she goes online ranting and raving about how you abused her, building up a following on twitter, and feminists online support her calling you a monster, and demanding that you be punished.

Under your logic, your innocence would be irrelevant, because we must believe that she was raped. Because she is female.

Wouldn't you prefer that she went to the police and that the matter be properly investigated? And you're proven innocent! Yay!. But your reputation is in ruins. Thousands of people online think you're still a rapist and the law was wrong. The girl gets a slap on the wrist for making a false claim and goes back to claiming that you abused her. She writes an ebook, and makes a fortune off your misery... and you'll live the rest of your life with the reputation that you might be a rapist.

This isn't about women as a gender lying. This isn't about men as a gender lying. This is about issues that ruin peoples lives. False claims do as much damage to innocents as the punishments meted out to the guilty. False Rape claims are a fact. They happen. Same with false claims for many other crimes.

All claims should be investigated and confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well then where are this guys getting it? They're hardly picking the idea that it's ok to fondle or catcall women up off the ground, are they?
    They are not getting it because they are men, they are getting it because they are dicks.
    FFS what a crock of sh1t. If that were the case, surely then your ire is better directed at women - mothers & sisters, seeing as men have failed so fabulously to date.

I'd be inclined to point some fingers towards the US Gangsta Hip-hop/rap scene which tends to encourage such treatment of women in their lyrics, and videos/movies. :D

I'd be inclined to point some fingers towards the US Gangsta Hip-hop/rap scene which tends to encourage such treatment of women in their lyrics, and videos/movies. :D
    Carefull now! Lets keep this a gender thing, we wouldn't want to turn it into a race thing - racism is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You have to start somewhere. Start with the reports which can be submitted first, and then, we can look to creating a system to deal with the other problems.

You've decided that because some issues can't be reported or enforced, then you must avoid pushing the remainder to be entered for official records, and as statistical evidence.

No I'm saying that the issues that can't be reported/enforced can't be reported/enforced. I'm not saying anything about things that can be reported such as rape or assault.

Sure, this thread talks about "low level harassment" but it also covers far more about more serious harassment that women have to experience. Stands to reason to focus on that first, deal with it, and move on to the remainder later.

That makes zero sense to me. Why not address both simultaneously?

Nope. It doesn't. Because they still have not been verified. Until those claims are verified as being true, you're not going to get that much support from most men. Why? because we've seen the claims by hardline feminists for decades, and they've often (not always) been proven to be baseless.

Apparently, quite a lot of people in that industry knew what he was doing... for decades.

Do.you believe the vast majority of the Weinstein accusations? Because there's no proof for the vast majority of them. If you do believe them can you say why?

LLMMLL already suggested/stated that it was near on impossible to follow up on the low level harassment... so It's completely illogical to start at the bottom with the areas that you believe can't be enforced.

I said it wasn't realistic to expect a good outcome from trying to report it to police. Not that it was impossible to deal with. I believe metoo is part of changing the levels of low level harasSment

No I'm saying that the issues that can't be reported/enforced can't be reported/enforced. I'm not saying anything about things that can be reported such as rape or assault.

They can't be reported/enforced yet. And judging by the claims on this thread and on metoo there are plenty of claims of a more serious nature that could be reported.
    That makes zero sense to me. Why not address both simultaneously?

err... you've just stated that low level harassment... oh never mind. I'm done.

Zulu wrote: »
    They are not getting it because they are men, they are getting it because they are dicks.

FFS what a crock of sh1t. If that were the case, surely then your ire is better directed at women - mothers & sisters, seeing as men have failed so fabulously to date.

Well then, maybe we need to focus on peer groups. Look to changing the attitudes, as recent campaigns have been doing, that when one of your mates is being a dick you just roll your eyes, but instead tell him to stop being that guy.

[QUOTE=kylith;105047736
    The vast majority of women appear to have issues with the behaviour of men they meet. What do you, other men, propose as a solution for this? Suggestions in a clear and concise way, please?
    [/QUOTE]

Still waiting for suggestions from men on this. Anyone?

The vast majority of women appear to have issues with the behaviour of men they meet. What do you, other men, propose as a solution for this? Suggestions in a clear and concise way, please?

I'm not sure what we, as individuals, can do to improve the situation. Actual Intervention is damn risky both from a health (getting beaten up) and legal perspective.

I don't believe that individuals have much power to force social change amongst groups that refuse to conform to mainstream society.

I still believe that the best way to bring about change in the men/women who are behaving in this manner is through the application of the law, and suitable punishments.

Well, with regards to 'fondling' I don't believe that any of the idiots that fondle a woman in public thinks "it's ok" to do it and again, if they were seen doing it they would be approached. It's seriously scorned upon and would most likely get someone thrown out of club, beaten or (if in public) arrested. The other way around though and it would be laughed at. Amazes me that women in western society moan about such things in the context of it only happening them and it needing to stop given how it's so socially acceptable when it happens guys.

As for cat calling, where do they get ir from that it's 'okay'? Well, maybe they watch Loose Women.

• Advertisement

Well then, maybe we need to focus on peer groups. Look to changing the attitudes, as recent campaigns have been doing, that when one of your mates is being a dick you just roll your eyes, but instead tell him to stop being that guy.
    You assume that I don't already do that. And you are somewhat right - I don't, because I don't hand around with "that guy". When I see it within my group I'd tell that person to cop on.

The problem is that recent campaigns are aimed at ALL MEN. When only a minority of jackasses do it. So it accuses me, and blames me, even though I'm not part of the problem. It goes on to tell me I AM part of the problem to boot. And to add insult to injury, it does not speak to the jackasses that are the problem.

So it's a bull sh1t campaign that alienates a vast majority, and doesn't even address the tiny minority that is problematic.
    Explain why I'm supposed to be proffering a novel solution to a problem that you tell me exists without any tangible evidence beyond hearsay and a fashionable on-trend twitter campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh give me a fcuking break.

That's funny, because what you describe are two sides to the same coin. The notion that women should be treated with additional respect is the same attitude that feeds into showing disrespect. You say it yourself - it places women on a pedestal, it's a form of inequality.

Now, we can get into a long post about "how can respect == disrespect", but when you look at the reasons why the pedestal exist in the first place (protecting virginity & chastity, presumption of female fragility, and protecting "property"), it becomes easy to see why teaching boys to be chivalrous particularly towards the opposite sex because of their gender, leads to some to disregard the human behind the gender.
    That is, they see them as "a woman", rather than "a person", and all of the respect and dignity we afford "a person" are not assigned to the woman.

To use a simply analogy - when a man has a nice car, you respect that car. You wouldn't dream of damaging the car (out of respect), and you might pull over to let the car by.
    But you will also coo over the car, touch it, stare at it and make comments about the parts of it.

You "respect" the car as a nice object. That's OK because it's an object. But chivalry teaches young men to "respect" women as desirable objects. Not as human beings. They respect other men as humans with a mind and an opinion. They respect women as pretty objects.

That's where someone who believes themselves to be a respectful, chivalrous, "nice guy" gets confused and angry when the object of their respect doesn't react graciously to their admiration.

I addressed that in this post and I'm still waiting for a reply from you.

The problem is that recent campaigns are aimed at ALL MEN. When only a minority of jackasses do it. So it accuses me, and blames me, even though I'm not part of the problem. It goes on to tell me I AM part of the problem to boot. And to add insult to injury, it does not speak to the jackasses that are the problem.

Well, we are not yet at the stage where we can target ad campaigns on bus stops or billboards to specific people.

Explain why I'm supposed to be proffering a novel solution to a problem that you tell me exists without any tangible evidence beyond hearsay and a fashionable on-trend twitter campaign?

So ask the women in your life if you don't believe the ones here. Ask your mum or your sister if they get hassled in the street, leered at, or rubbed up against. Maybe you'll believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Well, with regards to 'fondling' I don't believe that any of the idiots that fondle a woman in public thinks "it's ok" to do it and again, if they were seen doing it they would be approached. It's seriously scorned upon and would most likely get someone thrown out of club, beaten or (if in public) arrested. The other way around though and it would be laughed at. Amazes me that women in western society moan about such things in the context of it only happening them and it needing to stop given how it's so socially acceptable when it happens guys.

As for cat calling, where do they get ir from that it's 'okay'? Well, maybe they watch Loose Women.

Who is this acceptable to?

I've seen this point mentioned over and over and over again on boards and I have yet to see any poster who I know to be female laughing at and dismissing such treatment when it happens to a man.

On the other hand, it is all too common for male posters to dismiss sexual assault against men by women as trivial, annoying-but-harmless and not worth complaining about.

So by all means be angry that sexual assault on men is frequently trivialized, but you might want to reconsider who is largely to blame for that.

• Advertisement

I addressed that in this post and I'm still waiting for a reply from you.

Apologies for missing that, and I'll respond to it more fully when I've had time to read all the links.

However you never actually answered my question, you just jumped right into whataboutery regarding things women have done to men.

seamus wrote: »
    That's funny, because what you describe are two sides to the same coin. The notion that women should be treated with additional respect is the same attitude that feeds into showing disrespect. You say it yourself - it places women on a pedestal, it's a form of inequality.

Now, we can get into a long post about "how can respect == disrespect", but when you look at the reasons why the pedestal exist in the first place (protecting virginity & chastity, presumption of female fragility, and protecting "property"), it becomes easy to see why teaching boys to be chivalrous particularly towards the opposite sex because of their gender, leads to some to disregard the human behind the gender.
    That is, they see them as "a woman", rather than "a person", and all of the respect and dignity we afford "a person" are not assigned to the woman.

To use a simply analogy - when a man has a nice car, you respect that car. You wouldn't dream of damaging the car (out of respect), and you might pull over to let the car by.
    But you will also coo over the car, touch it, stare at it and make comments about the parts of it.

You "respect" the car as a nice object. That's OK because it's an object. But chivalry teaches young men to "respect" women as desirable objects. Not as human beings. They respect other men as humans with a mind and an opinion. They respect women as pretty objects.

That's where someone who believes themselves to be a respectful, chivalrous, "nice guy" gets confused and angry when the object of their respect doesn't react graciously to their admiration.

Basically what you are expressing here is third wave feminist rhetoric (with regards to chivalry) and with all due respect, it's baloney.

Boys are brought to be respectful to females not because we can gain from manipulating them or because they are objects to be desired. We are brought up to respect women because they are physically weaker than us and for that reason it is in our tradition to treat them preferably in certain situations. That's not the pedestal I was referring to.

Apologies for missing that, and I'll respond to it more fully when I've had time to read all the links.

However you never actually answered my question, you just jumped right into whataboutery regarding things women have done to men.

Nope, that's not the point I was making in that post... look forward to your reply when you've read it.

Also, when you are citing 'sexism' as a reason for why something happens, you can't then use whataboutery as a way of retort given that crying sexism is essentially crying imbalance. How then can someone be expected to rebut an argument of imbalance when they are being told they are limited to only talking about one side of the scales?

Well, we are not yet at the stage where we can target ad campaigns on bus stops or billboards to specific people.
    That's the excuse? If so, it's pathetic. And lazy.
    Groups interested could attempt to break it down further than 50% of the global population if they cared to, if they really wanted to. But there's no appetite for that, why? Why is that?
    So ask the women in your life if you don't believe the ones here. Ask your mum or your sister if they get hassled in the street, leered at, or rubbed up against. Maybe you'll believe them.
    You assume I've never had that conversation. I have. And it has informed my opinion.

kylith, I'm curious... As individuals, what you expect men to actually do to prevent harassment of women? (Apart from speaking to our direct friends, who probably don't behave in that manner anyway.)

The men who harass women are highly unlikely to respond well to any male stranger butting in on his 'conversation' with the woman. They also rarely go anywhere alone and work in groups.

So, what is this expectation that men should be doing? (hopefully without us getting hospitalized, or arrested for assault)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

seamus wrote: »

Feminism teaches women that men are a block grouping known as "the patriarchy". What's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

professore wrote: »
    Feminism teaches women that men are a block grouping known as "the patriarchy". What's the difference?

no it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Maybe from their mammies idolising them and telling them they can do no wrong?

professore wrote: »
    Maybe from their mammies idolising them and telling them they can do no wrong?

Yeah it's not the rapists fault, it's the mother of the rapist doing something wrong :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

optogirl wrote: »
    Yeah it's not the rapists fault, it's the mother of the rapist doing something wrong :confused:

Cat-callers are rapists now?

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Cat-callers are rapists now?

sorry, fondlers was who I was referring to. And yes, maybe rapist is a bit harsh. Fondlers then. Either way, blaming their Mams seems a leap too far

They can't be reported/enforced yet. And judging by the claims on this thread and on metoo there are plenty of claims of a more serious nature that could be reported.

err... you've just stated that low level harassment... oh never mind. I'm done.

It's unlikely that a woman will ever be able to report a man who follows her down one street. For numerous reasons, both legal and practical. I can enumerate these if you want.

So low level harassment is unlikely to be solved by reporting to an authority. Im not saying it's impossible it will happen but you've probably seen the reaction in france to the proposed dining of wolf whistling.

What I'm talking about when I say dealing with low level harassment is a change in culture. And metoo has a large part to play in this. By making men aware that harassment is very common and encouraging women to speak out when it does happen.

You seem.obsessed with verifying whether these things actually happened. When you have this volume of women with the same experiences then demanding that there be some kind of verification system is churlish at best.

Can you give an idea of how (in the future) we are to verify whether a guy persisted in asking out a woman after she refused in a bookstore? Who investigates it? What level of proof is needed for.you to accept it happened? We're not even talking about prosecution here. It seems you won't believe it's an issue until a large part of these claims are independently investigated.

But we are at a stage where we can target specific groups.

Domestic violence campaigns, for example, could be targeted at both sexes which are potentially likely to engage in such behaviour, not merely one.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Who is this acceptable to?

I've seen this point mentioned over and over and over again on boards and I have yet to see any poster who I know to be female laughing at and dismissing such treatment when it happens to a man.

On the other hand, it is all too common for male posters to dismiss sexual assault against men by women as trivial, annoying-but-harmless and not worth complaining about.

So by all means be angry that sexual assault on men is frequently trivialized, but you might want to reconsider who is largely to blame for that.

Your reply is laughable. Did I say that it was women that were making it socially acceptable? No, so what's the rant about? Here's the quote again and I don't suggest for a second that women are solely responsible for making it socially acceptable:
    Amazes me that women in western society moan about such things in the context of it only happening them and it needing to stop given how it's so socially acceptable when it happens guys.

But yet your reply is essentially: DON'T BLAME WOMEN!! MEN ARE LARGELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT!!!!

So therefore you are doing precisely the thing you claimed I was doing: laying majority blame on a single gender!

I do hope the irony of that is not lost on you but I suspect it will be.

kylith, I'm curious... As individuals, what you expect men to actually do to prevent harassment of women? (Apart from speaking to our direct friends, who probably don't behave in that manner anyway.)

The men who harass women are highly unlikely to respond well to any male stranger butting in on his 'conversation' with the woman. They also rarely go anywhere alone and work in groups.

So, what is this expectation that men should be doing? (hopefully without us getting hospitalized, or arrested for assault)
    Just, what you can.

If you see one of your mates drunkenly (or not drunkenly) creeping on a girl, stop him.

If you see someone who's not one of your mates, and it is safe for you to intervene, do. Even just ask her the time, or distract him with a question or something.

If you see a guy in a pub or club groping women try point him out to the bouncers. That kind of creep operates from behind so she is unlikely to be able to give a description.

Because, believe me, if you're nervous about getting into that situation she is doubly nervous about being in it. You don't have to wade in with 'Oi, leave that woman alone'.

And first, and most importantly, believe her. If a woman tells you that she was made uncomfortable don't brush it off as a misunderstanding on her part, or that the guy is actually really nice, or that you never saw it so you can't believe it, and especially don't tell her that not all men are like that we know that. You don't even have to do anything besides saying 'It's really shtty that you were in that situation. That guy sounds like an asshole.' Most of the time that's what she needs in those low-level situations, just someone to acknowledge her feelings about the situation and not invalidate them.

Just, what you can.

If you see one of your mates .
    You promise to do the same, take the gender inequality out of it, stop ALL harassment, treat ALL harassment the same, and we're all good; we're all in agreement. :)

No?

You seem.obsessed with verifying whether these things actually happened. When you have this volume of women with the same experiences then demanding that there be some kind of verification system is churlish at best.

Obsessed? Hmm... Yup. Think of the example I used about a false rape claim. These accusations do ruin lives.

I have a close friend who was targeted for a false claim of sexual harassment in the workplace. She was investigated, and it was found that she was jealous of his position in the company. She lost her job, and he lost his reputation. He had to leave the country to get a job because even though his innocence was proven, people's tongues kept wagging.

So, yes. I am focused on claims that potentially can ruin someone's reputation/life be verified.
    Can you give an idea of how (in the future) we are to verify whether a guy persisted in asking out a woman after she refused in a bookstore? Who investigates it? What level of proof is needed for.you to accept it happened? We're not even talking about prosecution here. It seems you won't believe it's an issue until a large part of these claims are independently investigated.

You are so focused on dismissing my suggestion. You pointed out the difficulty of verifying these "lower" types of harassment, and I said to focus on the higher levels of harassment. The serious issues. Which this thread has repeatedly sought to highlight as being widespread. And in return, you dismiss that in favor of complaining about the "lower" types of harassment.

Utterly Bizarre. DO you want to change things for the better, or just have something to complain about?

You promise to do the same, take the gender inequality out of it, stop ALL harassment, treat ALL harassment the same, and we're all good; we're all in agreement. :)

No?

Yes, everyone should do it. If a person sees one of their friends or someone else acting inappropriately, or making another person uncomfortable, then they should do what they can to stop that behaviour. That way everyone will have a more comfortable life.

Yes, everyone should do it. If a person sees one of their friends or someone else acting inappropriately, or making another person uncomfortable, then they should do what they can to stop that behaviour. That way everyone will have a more comfortable life.
    ...and on that, I've no issue!

Your reply is laughable. Did I say that it was women that were making it socially acceptable? No, so what's the rant about? Here's the quote again and I don't suggest for a second that women are solely responsible for making it socially acceptable:

But yet your reply is essentially: DON'T BLAME WOMEN!! MEN ARE LARGELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT!!!!

So therefore you are doing precisely the thing you claimed I was doing: laying majority blame on a single gender!

I do hope the irony of that is not lost on you but I suspect it will be.

So why bring it up in a discussion which is focussed largely on women talking about sexual harassment? Why say:
    Amazes me that women in western society moan about such things in the context of it only happening them and it needing to stop given how it's so socially acceptable when it happens guys.

Do you think women should just shut up and put up with being harassed and sexually assaulted until men are ready and able to be as vocal about not wanting to assaulted either?

btw, I have to laugh at you calling my response a 'rant' - not everyone is as angry when they post as you appear to be...

• Advertisement

Do you think women should just shut up and put up ...
    No, not at all. Just don't be so lazy (or hateful) to blame men, or all men, or a majority of men. Thats all.

No, not at all. Just don't blame men, or all men, or a majority of men.

Who is blaming all men?

Do you really need a footnote in every single post specifying that all men are not to blame for the actions of some men?

I've noticed that it does seem to be your primary concern here, right down to digging into other posters accounts of being assaulted or harassed to get them to clarify that they were only assaulted by some of the men there, not all of the men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Cilla's quite funny in that.

No, not at all. Just don't be so lazy (or hateful) to blame men, or all men, or a majority of men. Thats all.

In fairness, Zulu, the issue with men, or rather a lot of men, is that they simply don't believe that it happens. A blinkered mentality kicks is where they can't conceive of something happening unless they see it with their own eyes, so while they might occasionally see a woman getting hassled on the bus they don't realise that that woman got hassled at the bus stop too, and in the supermarket, and at the gym, and that it happens 4 days a week, every week, for years.

Most men just don't realise how much this pervades women's lives and therefore they refuse to see what they see as an occasional 'howya darlin'' as a problem, and refuse to believe women when they say it is.
    After all, if some men are doing it, but the majority of women are experiencing it, then those few men must be a hell of an issue, yeah?
    Some men hassle women, a lot more men don't realise how much of a problem this is.

Who is blaming all men?
    Blaming "men" places the blame on all men.
    I've noticed that it does seem to be your primary concern here
    What's wrong with that? Should I shut-up and put-up with it? Is that it? I despise bigotry in all forms. Be it racism, sexism, whatever.
    right down to digging into other posters accounts of being assaulted or harassed to get them to clarify that they were only assaulted by some of the men there, not all of the men.
    Your tone and language is telling. If by "digging" you mean to say that I queried and sought clarification, you're right. That's how conversations work. Clearly you don't agree.

Challenging stuff trying to have a meaningful conversation when you can't question.

In fairness, Zulu, the issue with men, or rather a lot of men, is that they simply don't believe that it happens. A blinkered mentality ...
    In fairness kylith it comes down to experience.
    I know it happens, but I doubt it happens as much as some would have me believe. I doubt it because I walk through Dublin city centre for over 80 mins every single day. I work in an office in Dublin city centre for over 8 hours every single work day. I live and breathe this city, and I simply dont see "cat calls" or "wolf whistles" or "street sex harrasment".

It happens, I've no doubt. I believe what people tell me to an extent. But unless I'm this unique presence that silences the jerks, it's not happening around me. And that makes it very hard for me to accept its this massive societal problem (in Dublin at least).

• Advertisement

Blaming "men" places the blame on all men.

What's wrong with that? Should I shut-up and put-up with it? Is that it? I despise bigotry in all forms. Be it racism, sexism, whatever.

Your tone and language is telling. If by "digging" you mean to say that I queried and sought clarification, you're right. That's how conversations work. Clearly you don't agree.

Challenging stuff trying to have a meaningful conversation when you can't question.

You appear to have no interest in hearing about, expressing any concern about, or combatting the actual harassment women face, your only concern appears to be for any possibility of men being blamed in any way.

Your objection to bigotry and sexism seems to have a remarkably narrow focus.

edit: Good heavens, you actually still doubt that such harassment is widespread and common because you personally don't see it happen?

You appear to have no interest in hearing about
    Nope, you're just misrepresenting me, and taking from my posts what suits your agenda.

In fairness kylith it comes down to experience.
    I know it happens, but I doubt it happens as much as some would have me believe. I doubt it because I walk through Dublin city centre for over 80 mins every single day. I work in an office in Dublin city centre for over 8 hours every single work day. I live and breathe this city, and I simply dont see "cat calls" or "wolf whistles" or "street sex harrasment".

It happens, I've no doubt. I believe what people tell me to an extent. But unless I'm this unique presence that silences the jerks, it's not happening around me. And that makes it very hard for me to accept its this massive societal problem (in Dublin at least).

That's exactly my point. You don't see it, so you don't believe that it's as common as it is. And dozens of women on Boards and thousands of women worldwide saying that it happens won't sway you, because you don't see it so you don't believe it.

Nope, you're just misrepresenting me, and taking from my posts what suits your agenda.

I know nothing about you except what you choose to reveal about yourself in your posts and at a rough estimate 90% of your posts in this thread have been about whether or not all men are being blamed for the problem.

Like it or not, that does say something about where your primary concern lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's exactly my point. You don't see it, so you don't believe that it's as common as it is. And dozens of women on Boards and thousands of women worldwide saying that it happens won't sway you, because you don't see it so you don't believe it.

I would have thought Dublin and Ireland would have had a mild level of street harassment compared to other countries. A Brisbane emigrant comments on it in this 'New to the Parish' piece for the IT…
    Emma Greenbury had spent less than a month in her new home when it occurred to her that she had never experienced harassment on the streets of Dublin. Accustomed to incessant catcalls when walking through Brisbane, Greenbury had learned to keep her eyes on the pavement and block out the crude, sexually charged remarks men of all ages would shout as she made her way to work.

“It’s just an attitude that men have in Australia – that they can say things to women and won’t get in trouble because it’s the girls’ fault for wearing certain clothing. But it doesn’t even matter what you wear, I could be wearing a jumper and tracksuit pants, men always objectify you. Even my 64-year-old mother gets harassed on the street daily.

“As a woman in Australia you just learn to live with it, you get on with things. But men in Ireland treat women with such respect. I’ve never been objectified by a man here and I feel a lot more empowered now when I go back to Australia to say something.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/in-ireland-men-treat-women-with-such-respect-i-ve-never-been-objectified-here-1.3079729

Anecdotal for sure but I don't think Ireland has the same exaggerated maschismo culture that exists in other countries where cat-calling and wolf-whistling would be a more commonplace problem. I genuinely don't think the poster is trying to be blinkered about it.

That isn't to say we don't have our share of creeps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement