Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#MeToo has caught on, good thing or bad thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

But should women have to put up with having their asses pinched?

No of course not. It shouldn't happen, and men shouldn't feel like they are entitled to do it. But (in my opinion) having ones ass pinched is not sexual assault. It's not nice, but it's not assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AnneFrank wrote: »
    they are morans let's be honest, but i wouldn't class them as abusers either

what did the Morans ever do to you?

#morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Please let me be #metoo.

I'm still waiting on someone to sexually proposition me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i agree with all this, but let's be fair, lot's of men have had their arse's pinched and bums slapped by groups of women too, the talk of sex and drooling over people in my office is all done by women !!

100% right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I dont think its a bad thing, sexual abuse is dispicable and anyone who experiences it, should speak out.

However, I wager we will need a fcuking huge bandwagon for all the attention seekers to hop on to.

The ones who make sh1t up and cheapen the experiences of the real victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Fuppin' Morans. I knew one once. He was a bit of a c*nt.

Kevin was alright.

I was just thinking to myself, if i were a victim of rape/serious sexual assault/abuse, and some attention wh0re on social media was trying to equate their ass pinching experience with mine, i'd be pretty f*cked off.

I dont think its a bad thing, sexual abuse is dispicable and anyone who experiences it, should speak out.

However, I wager we will need a fcuking huge bandwagon for all the attention seekers to hop on to.

maybe it's a 'what's wrong with me - nobody has ever abused me - am I not attractive??' type mentality...

weak people never want to be left out of anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

lawred2 wrote: »
    maybe it's a 'what's wrong with me - nobody has ever abused me - am I not attractive??' type mentality...

weak people never want to be left out of anything

rttgadkh0xsz.jpg

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    rttgadkh0xsz.jpg

oh good lord

selective withholding of sexual harassment

that's a Rubicon moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

^^^

Fcuk sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

jo2509 wrote: »
    I was just thinking to myself, if i were a victim of rape/serious sexual assault/abuse, and some attention wh0re on social media was trying to equate their ass pinching experience with mine, i'd be pretty f*cked off.

This is why I think it's dangerous. A guy pestering for a date is considered sexual harassment by some or a wolf whistle with no threatening behaviour. Yet these "victims" are putting themselves in the same league as people who were raped or blackmailed into having sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The other side is the undermining the accused right to a fair defense.

"Me too" doesn't undermine the accused in this case as people are posting that the same happened to them but not by the same predictor.

I think it's a good idea. A poster on another thread laughed when I said that one in four have suffered abuse. Problem is that most stayed quiet. This will help show non believers the extent to problem.

Crea wrote: »
    This is why I think it's dangerous. A guy pestering for a date is considered sexual harassment by some or a wolf whistle with no threatening behaviour. Yet these "victims" are putting themselves in the same league as people who were raped or blackmailed into having sex.

Well quite. Isn't there a certain journalist turned personal trainer who is sexually assaulted every time she leaves the house. Be that someone brushing up against her on the bus or a 'cheer up love' from a passing bricklayer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

One thing I don't like about the MeToo thing is that when any of the celeb women are interviewed they always make the point that what's being revealed at the moment is just "the tip of the iceberg". The implication is that most, or all, men are guilty, (or would be if they got half a chance).
    There is also the danger that some women might be jumping on the bandwagon because there might be some compo to be had somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I have no idea what #metoo is supposed to mean but I'm guessing it has something to do with that Weinsten lad who no one had heard of until about five days ago.

There was something on Twitter the other day about women boycotting the site. Apparently Rose McGowan had tweeted something which had been removed. The minority group commonly known as women were sick of being silenced on Twitter so their solution was to not post anything on Twitter for 24 hours.

I think it's all attention seeking bullshit myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'd be interested to know how many replying in this thread are men.

Because based on the majority of the posts, you'd be validating the point of #metoo entirely.

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I think it's a good idea. A poster on another thread laughed when I said that one in four have suffered abuse. Problem is that most stayed quiet. This will help show non believers the extent to problem.

No it won't. In no way will it. People jumping on a bandwagon will do the polar opposite of converting non believers.

Because based on the majority of the posts, you'd be validating the point of #metoo entirely.

Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

I have no idea what #metoo is supposed to mean but I'm guessing it has something to do with that Weinsten lad who no one had heard of until about five days ago.

There was something on Twitter the other day about women boycotting the site. Apparently Rose McGowan had tweeted something which had been removed. The minority group commonly known as women were sick of being silenced on Twitter so their solution was to not post anything on Twitter for 24 hours.

I think it's all attention seeking bullshit myself.

So you think it is attention seeking to say that we don't like being fondled on the train on the way to work or touched up in a bar or have comments made on their appearance as they do their shopping? Are we not allowed to say that even though these things may not be as big as rape, they are still degrading and humiliating. There is so many people who say well why don't women speak up when these things happen, then they do speak up and they are told they are attention seeking. How can we win? What is an acceptable way to say stop, we have had enough? What can women do to get men to listen to them?

• Advertisement

So you think it is attention seeking to say that we don't like being fondled on the train on the way to work or touched up in a bar or have comments made on their appearance as they do their shopping? Are we not allowed to say that even though these things may not be as big as rape, they are still degrading and humiliating. There is so many people who say well why don't women speak up when these things happen, then they do speak up and they are told they are attention seeking. How can we win? What is an acceptable way to say stop, we have had enough? What can women do to get men to listen to them?

I can only speak for myself, but on the (odd) occasion i have been touched up in a bar or on public transport, i have removed the offending hand and moved away. Comments on my appearance? I either ignore or tell them to f*ck off and go about my day. I don't consider it degrading or humiliating because i believe it says more about the gob****e doing it than me. I don't let it affect me. But as i said, that's just my approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It won't in a lot of cases. The point of the campaign is to highlight how many people have been subjected to assault or harassment, but for some people, it has to be about them so it's somehow read as "all men are rapists", and seeing the volume of people engaging in the campaign their first reaction isn't "that's a lot of people" but "that's a lot of lying women".

I agree the reactions actually demonstrate pretty well why this is still a conversation that we need to keep having, but #metoo will just confirm some people's belief of "all these women are obsessed with being victims and they're always all out to get poor little me, they're after me!" The lack of self awareness in that one never gets old I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It won't in a lot of cases. The point of the campaign is to highlight how many people have been subjected to assault or harassment, but for some people, it has to be about them so it's somehow read as "all men are rapists", and seeing the volume of people engaging in the campaign their first reaction isn't "that's a lot of people" but "that's a lot of lying women".

I agree the reactions actually demonstrate pretty well why this is still a conversation that we need to keep having, but #metoo will just confirm some people's belief of "all these women are obsessed with being victims and they're always all out to get poor little me, they're after me!" The lack of self awareness in that one never gets old I have to say.

Sure you can't even sexually harass a woman these days without being accused of sexual harassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

For a lot of people, it's given them the courage to speak out about their experiences of assault/harassment and to me there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If it happened to you and that's your experience, then no one can tell you not to speak about it. Some of the comments on here are completely trivializing the situations that happen to so many people.

431141.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Please explain.

The utter disbelief that what the women are saying might actually be valid.

The misinterpretation of this as accusing all men of being monsters.

The immediate need to relate this to oneself as a man, because men's experiences do not line up with women's.

The gulf in the experience is so vast, in fact, that there is a backlash, pretty much exclusively from men, who cannot fathom that there might actually be a problem.

To be clear in this, I am a man myself, and I am very conscious of how I treat women. Sexist "banter" lowers my opinion of someone immediately. It's weak. I have been sexually assaulted by women on more than one occasion, and while it was never pleasant, never once did I fear for my safety, and those were isolated incidents. From speaking with female friends of mine, those experiences, no matter how awkward they might have been, cannot compare to the constant harassment they have to put up with. The amount of dick pics I've been shown by them, for example..........fucccking hell.

The whole point of this, as far as I can tell, is to try get men to take their heads out of their arses for just a few minutes and reflect on how we can start making sure that this **** becomes less and less common. This seems to be too much for some people, unfortunately. It's quite hilarious to see men accusing women taking part of playing the victim, when that is precisely what they're doing themselves by expressing such outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Penn wrote: »
    ** A load of mad ****e **

I wish this "sexual assault/sexual harassment/rape is all about power" canard would **** off.
    It's always struck me as something people say to make them sound terribly clever indeed, but I only ever see it asserted in passing, as if it's a given and has a basis in fact.

Sometimes it is about power, but mostly it's about sex, selfishness and a lack of empathy.

There's some case to be made for the notion with regards to how people who are insecure are more likely to be assholes, and one of the routes they take is putting others down to make them seem better by comparison, but even when that's part of sexual harassment, it's still at least as much about sex and being selfish.

The #metoo thing has it's upsides and downsides.
    On one hand, people will likely come forward about the subject and be more open about their experiences. Hopefully this will trickle into society at large.

On the other hand, given the nature of social media and the fact that the most active and most visible are also the most self-centered and melodramatic, the core message could well be lost amongst those who are leaping on the hashtag to get attention over something either made up entirely or fairly inoccuous.

The fact that it's vague means that those who suffered from genuinely awful experiences will feel safe enough coming forward and not have to go into details that might be painful to air in public.
    At the same time, it means the level of seriousness with which is going to be taken will probably float somewhere towards the low end of the spectrum, because people don't know what it's about either.

Ideally people could talk about it in detail and be open about their experiences and they wouldn't feel ashamed to talk about things over which they had no control and that weren't in any way their fault, but humans are funny that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

scdublin wrote: »
    For a lot of people, it's given them the courage to speak out about their experiences of assault/harassment and to me there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If it happened to you and that's your experience, then no one can tell you not to speak about it. Some of the comments on here are completely trivializing the situations that happen to so many people.

Some of the comments here are actually really hurtful and part of the reason I did not report my sexual assault. It's the culture of "it's not a big deal, why would you ruin his life over a mistake?" and "well what did you do to encourage it?"

I was sexually assaulted by someone I thought was a close friend. It happened around the time that poor woman was completely alienated for reporting her assault in Listowel. People wouldn't serve her in the shops, but people lined up to shake his hand in the courtroom. Her assault was recorded in cctv and it was still her fault. All I had was my word against his. That was a massive factor in not reporting.

It took me years of therapy and antidepressants to move on from it. I lost friends because of something I didn't do. I spent my time at university quite seriously depressed and missed out on a lot. Nothing happened to him bar a few people no longer speaking to him - but only when I pressured them.

This hashtag is about helping people feel less alone - as well as about showing people (men in particular) that there is a problem in our society. A deeply ingrained one. It starts with thinking that slapping someone's arse is just a bit of craic, and it ends with queuing up to shake the hand of a convicted rapist.

So you know what? No. Mock all you like, but I'm not going to be quiet anymore. #MeToo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

I can only speak for myself, but on the (odd) occasion i have been touched up in a bar or on public transport, i have removed the offending hand and moved away. Comments on my appearance? I either ignore or tell them to f*ck off and go about my day. I don't consider it degrading or humiliating because i believe it says more about the gob****e doing it than me. I don't let it affect me. But as i said, that's just my approach.

But don't you wish you didn't have to remove the offending hand away? It's good for you that it doesn't bother you but it does bother some people. It bothered me to felt up most days on my home from school, it bothers me that my daughter who will be a teen in a few years time may have to experience the same thing. There is no need for it, end of. It shouldn't be a hardship for men to keep their hands to themselves.

But don't you wish you didn't have to remove the offending hand away? It's good for you that it doesn't bother you but it does bother some people. It bothered me to felt up most days on my home from school, it bothers me that my daughter who will be a teen in a few years time may have to experience the same thing. There is no need for it, end of. It shouldn't be a hardship for men to keep their hands to themselves.

Of course i do!
    I guess what i'm trying to say is that i won't allow anyone to *make* me feel humiliated, or degraded because of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

431141.PNG

This in my view is where it crosses the line. Making one advance out of interest is not harassment. Harassment is continuing to persist after being rejected.

Unless the advance referenced in this tweet was delivered in a sleazy way, it should not be regarded as harassment. Otherwise, how is any relationship supposed to start, unless we're saying that literally all relationships / sexual encounters have to begin between mutual friends or through a medium like tinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

A complete load of sh*te imo. Not buying the whole giving a avenue for people to open up about their torrid experiences. Any one who has to use such a public medium like Facebook or Twitter to open up about such personal things like being sexually abused has something seriously wrong with them and has really weird beliefs and values. In my opinions it's just attention seeking and like whoring just because clowns like Jennifer Lawrence have come out and everyone is sobbing over them. Modern people love to play the victim, love getting pity and validation through likes and emoji reactions. Like who are these clowns directing these stories to? There isn't a sane human alive that thinks sexual assault and harassment is okay, convicted sex offenders are never forgiven or given an ounce of respect. But that's feminism for ya. I read somewhere that France is trying to bring in a law where men will get on the spot fine for cat calling. Before long men won't be able to even look women in the eye and say hello such is the sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was molested by a family member as a teenager. I've been groped in shops and pubs.

I don't have a choice about getting affected by some stranger believing that he has the right to touch me without permission. I am affected by it.

No-one gets to decide what affects another person, or how they feel about something. People writing off slapping or pinching arses or lewd comments as 'a bit of craic' that women 'shouldn't let affect them' don't know what that person may have gone through in the past.

Burial. wrote: »
    Any one who has to use such a public medium like Facebook or Twitter to open up about such personal things like being sexually abused has something seriously wrong with them and has really weird beliefs and values.

Is that not an issue in itself though?

Why should people have to feel ashamed about having a **** thing done to them?

Far be it from me to deny that there aren't narcissists on social media, but surely having a public discourse about something that's happening to loads of people in order to reduce the shame and stigma associated with it is a good thing?
    There isn't a sane human alive that thinks sexual assault and harassment is okay, convicted sex offenders are never forgiven or given an ounce of respect. But that's feminism for ya. I read somewhere that France is trying to bring in a law where men will get on the spot fine for cat calling. Before long men won't be able to even look women in the eye and say hello such is the sad state of affairs.

There's no them and us thing with this.
    There isn't a clear line of separation between good people and degenerates.
    There's a sliding scale of perception of behaviours.

Some people are thick c*nts and while they can grasp that raping someone is a bad thing to do, they might just think catcalling or copping a feel 'is only a bit of craic sure'.

It's likely the ****tiest people make up a disproportionately high number of those who commit these offences, but given how prevalent it is, it still must be a fairly large number of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

The problem I have with it is how broad the phrase is. It seems to cover everything from an arse grope in a club or a "cheer up sweetheart" by a construction worker to women who have literally been raped. To me they're not in the same bracket and hashtagging in the vein that Brie Larson has - essentially because someone hit on you - detracts from the whole concept.

I don't consider myself a victim because someone has ogled my tits in a boardroom meeting or a random creep followed me down the street or tried to get my number or whatever. Do I consider those things acceptable, no, I consider that kind of behaviour indicative of a certain type of moron, but I'm not a victim because I meet morons every so often either.

kylith wrote: »
    I was molested by a family member as a teenager. I've been groped in shops and pubs.

I don't have a choice about getting affected by some stranger believing that he has the right to touch me without permission. I am affected by it.

No-one gets to decide what affects another person, or how they feel about something. People writing off slapping or pinching arses or lewd comments as 'a bit of craic' that women 'shouldn't let affect them' don't know what that person may have gone through in the past.

All of the above should be regarded as sexual assault and carry extremely serious penalties. My issue is that people blur the line between harassment and simply making an advance - harassment by definition is persistent. Asking somebody out or telling them that you find them attractive is just a standard way of opening the door to seeing if someone is interested in response - if we require people to know in advance whether they're going to be rejected or reciprocated, then by logical extension, no relationship between strangers can ever begin, ever. That in my view is ridiculous - sure, many people in relationships begin as friends or are introduced by a mutual friend, but just as many begin as random, chance encounters in which one of the people had the courage to make an approach to the other. If that is now regarded as a problem - see the TSA tweet above - then a whole pile of people I know in happy relationships wouldn't be allowed to have got together in the first place, since the initial encounter would have been classified as harassment. That, to me, is just moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

431141.PNG

:eyeroll:

Now if she said she smiled at him and he squeezed her boobs I'd see her point- but he asked her for her number; a perfectly acceptable and polite way of engaging with somebody.
    What a croc of sh!t.

anna080 wrote: »

Now if she said she smiled at him and he squeezed her boobs I'd see her point- but he asked her for her number; a perfectly acceptable and polite way of engaging with somebody.
    What a croc of sh!t.

Some people obviously feel that legitimately approaching somebody with interest should be restricted to designated chat up zones. Problem is, there are even people who regard those designated chat up zones as a no go - look at people who complain about being hit on on clubs when they just went out to hang with their friends.

As I say, it's as if being introduced by a mutual friend or matching on a dating app is now the only 100% iron clad way to avoid a chat up being perceived as unacceptable. Or being psychic and knowing in advance whether the person you like, likes you back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

the current hysteria is starting to look a bit like the "satanic abuse" panic of the early 90's. There's so much "trial by media" going on that it's becoming a bit of a free for all.

• Advertisement

A complete load of sh*te imo. Not buying the whole giving a avenue for people to open up about their torrid experiences. Any one who has to use such a public medium like Facebook or Twitter to open up about such personal things like being sexually abused has something seriously wrong with them and has really weird beliefs and values. In my opinions it's just attention seeking and like whoring just because clowns like Jennifer Lawrence have come out and everyone is sobbing over them. Modern people love to play the victim, love getting pity and validation through likes and emoji reactions. Like who are these clowns directing these stories to? There isn't a sane human alive that thinks sexual assault and harassment is okay, convicted sex offenders are never forgiven or given an ounce of respect. But that's feminism for ya. I read somewhere that France is trying to bring in a law where men will get on the spot fine for cat calling. Before long men won't be able to even look women in the eye and say hello such is the sad state of affairs.

Or maybe, maybe, knowing that lots of other people have had similar experiences can help someone who has been assaulted feel confident enough to report their assault.

Maybe, maybe, knowing that it can happen to Jennifer Lawrence and other famous women will help them feel less alone, and less like it is their fault.

So if I don't automatically believe that every single woman is telling the truth on the internet and that absolutely no woman has ever lied or exaggerated for attention I'm male cis rape culture scum. I should just take everything a woman I don't know says at face value without any evidence. Got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Or maybe, maybe, knowing that lots of other people have had similar experiences can help someone who has been assaulted feel confident enough to report their assault.

Maybe, maybe, knowing that it can happen to Jennifer Lawrence and other famous women will help them feel less alone, and less like it is their fault.

By all means report it to the shades, better now than never if you couldn't do it when it happened...but broadcasting it over Facebook and Twitter is not reporting it.

Ah here. Jennifer Lawrence had a choice, but she chose not to walk away. Someone who has been raped or is a real victim of sexual abuse had/has no choice.

anna080 wrote: »

What a croc of sh!t.

I won't say this is true of this particular situation because I wasn't there and neither was anyone likely commenting on it (maybe it came across as creepier than it sounds), but it does suggest a degree of elitism and lack of empathy on her part - "how dare this pleb speak to me", sort of thing.

It's a bit like how when people meet a celebrity and they're not all smiles and autographs and they go away thinking the celebrity is a mean-spirited ****e for the rest of their lives.

You're getting this tiny snapshot of a person who's got their own set of fears and all that going on. If you're particularly cynical and negative you're only ever going to take the interaction in the worst possible way.
    I can imagine myself the humour in the idea of a lowly drone asking an impossibly beautiful oscar-winner for their number. He mighn't have done it seriously, or to put her down. He might've just thought it was harmlessly amusing.

You could go through life fearfully and take everything the worst way and assume they're out to get you or you could do the opposite.

Of course, some people have had experiences that make it understandable why they'd have that fear.

All of the above should be regarded as sexual assault and carry extremely serious penalties. My issue is that people blur the line between harassment and simply making an advance - harassment by definition is persistent. Asking somebody out or telling them that you find them attractive is just a standard way of opening the door to seeing if someone is interested in response - if we require people to know in advance whether they're going to be rejected or reciprocated, then by logical extension, no relationship between strangers can ever begin, ever. That in my view is ridiculous - sure, many people in relationships begin as friends or are introduced by a mutual friend, but just as many begin as random, chance encounters in which one of the people had the courage to make an approach to the other. If that is now regarded as a problem - see the TSA tweet above - then a whole pile of people I know in happy relationships wouldn't be allowed to have got together in the first place, since the initial encounter would have been classified as harassment. That, to me, is just moronic.

I take the point that if you find someone attractive then you need to let them know that. However, there is the matter of how it's done: 'Hi, would you be interested in going out with me sometime?' is fine, especially if a rejection is followed by 'No problem, have a nice evening. Goodbye'. Unfortunately that is often not the case.

A simple 'no, thank you' can be met with outright hostility, demands to know why, insistence that he's a 'nice guy' who 'deserves a chance', aggression, and insults.

Similarly 'Nice tits love, give me your phone number' is not really a gentlemanly way to go about this.

That TSA tweet... would you consider just after having been frisked after having waited in line for bloody ages as an acceptable time for a staff member in the establishment to hit on you? Especially if the person being hit on is a well known actress? Did he really think she would say yes? Especially since they had not had any interaction beforehand? Is it acceptable for someone who presumably has the power to mark you for a search to ask for your phone number? What was his motivation in asking her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

So if I don't automatically believe that every single woman is telling the truth on the internet and that absolutely no woman has ever lied or exaggerated for attention I'm male cis rape culture scum. I should just take everything a woman I don't know says at face value without any evidence. Got it.

Who exactly has said that to you? But yes, please do make it all about you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

By all means report it to the shades, better now than never if you couldn't do it when it happened...but broadcasting it over Facebook and Twitter is not reporting it.

Ah here. Jennifer Lawrence had a choice, but she chose not to walk away. Someone who has been raped or is a real victim of sexual abuse had/has no choice.

Broadcasting it over facebook lets other women who have been assaulted know that they are not alone, that there are other people out there who know what they are going through and how they feel. And it lets everyone know that this is not a rare occurrence.

This happens to thousands of women every day. Should they stay quiet, like they're ashamed? Why is them saying that they've been assaulted such an issue for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Similarly 'Nice tits love, give me your phone number' is not really a gentlemanly way to go about this.

Not exactly gentlemanly but not crime of the century either. Some people need to get a sense of proportion in what they deem to be a big deal.
    That TSA tweet... would you consider just after having been frisked after having waited in line for bloody ages as an acceptable time for a staff member in the establishment to hit on you? Especially if the person being hit on is a well known actress? Did he really think she would say yes? Especially since they had not had any interaction beforehand? Is it acceptable for someone who presumably has the power to mark you for a search to ask for your phone number? What was his motivation in asking her?

He probably did it for the laugh and to say to his mates in the break room "Hey did you see who I asked for her number" but instead of taking it in the spirit it was probably intended she went and had a sh*t attack all over twitter and completely blew it out of proportion.
    Broadcasting it over facebook lets other women who have been assaulted know that they are not alone, that there are other people out there who know what they are going through and how they feel. And it lets everyone know that this is not a rare occurrence.

This happens to thousands of women every day. Should they stay quiet, like they're ashamed? Why is them saying that they've been assaulted such an issue for you?

Because it's trial by the mob and not trial by jury. If someone is accused of a serious crime then they deserve to be able to answer it in a court of law, not have their name dragged through the mud and destroyed.

Not every woman tells the truth about these things you know, just look at the cases of Craig Charles and Michael le Vell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

I believe it's there to show the level of harrassment that women go through, rather than to actually parade it around.
    Almost every woman I follow on twitter, and some men have come forward. We're so close to having gender equality, I think it's just spreading awareness about being harrassed and abused, rather than manshaming and snowflaking. I think it's a good thing. Terry Crews, the giant black lad who's always a musclebound beefcake in everything, has come forth about his own sexual harrassment and how it made him feel.

Men are doing it too, it's not just women. Men are sexually abused, while not as often or as violently as women, but women are harrassed every day. Put it this way, a comedian said this the other week:

Why don't some men go to a gay bar? They're afraid of being approached by a gay man and offered sexual congress. Imagine the thought of just going out with your friends for a nice time, having a few drinks, and some ****ing gay lad comes up and offers to ride you, or show you a nice time. You'd be ****in' outraged.
    That's what it's like every night for a woman if she goes out. Men aren't even aware of the level, and again, the hashtag is there to show people, just how wide reaching sexual abuse and sexual harrassment it.

*EDIT*
    I'm also well aware that some of the stories that come out under that hashtag are a load of bollocks, made up, or taken out f proportion or context. I had a woman on twitter say she was raped before, when the taxi man helped her in. She woke up with her top off and assumed the man had felt her up. Turned out the security cameras caught her whipping her own top off as she was led to the door and the poor taximan didnt know what to do so he ran off without charging her!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If it helps somebody broach something that they've been afraid to express, then it's fine by me.

Obviously you can be cynical and say that a lot of people do it on social media for validation or attention but surely, if you're jaundiced and cynical to that extent, you could say that about every social media utterance ever made, including contributing to message boards and going to social media to criticise other people's social media habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aside from confirming that every single woman has gotten sexually abused, what does it actually do? I doubt the abusers will care, and this won't stop them. It will allow them no to feel alone, but in the end, I don't think it'll do much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement