Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#MeToo has caught on, good thing or bad thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Another pointless social media nonsense which will be forgotten about in a few days time. Pretty much like #prayfor rubbish.

#PrayForMeToo

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

If wolf whistling was illegal though, then I wouldnt have 4 lovely children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

To be honest I think Wolf Whistling should be made a criminal offense if its in the public eye.

People might see thatcas extreme but a woman should be able to walk down the street without somebody making her feel uncomfortable

A totally precious overreaction to a completely innocuous expression.
    If someone is that traumatised over someone whistling at them maybe they should just stay indoors. The day I stop getting whistled at is the day I take offence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

To be honest I can see both sides.

Back in the boom I worked in town and right beside the office was a new apartment block being built.

There were gangs of guys and just one of me.

Weeks of whistling shouting, four times a day, when I was coming in in the morning, going out to lunch, coming back from lunch and going home in the evening. Some if it was whistling, some of it was shouting comments. Weeks of that was just too much, so they got eventually told to stop, in much more colourful and animated language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

http://www.inclusionireland.ie/sites/default/files/attach/news-item/1287/booklet.pdf

This information booklet references various sutuations of sexual sexual assault including:

It is wrong for someone to say sexual comments that make you feel uncomfortable.

Wonder Would wolf whistling fall within that definition?

Yep you could be right there.

If I were a guy I'd be very careful about whistling or passing comments. Better safe than sorry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I was sexually abused by my brother for years when I was a child and I was sexually assaulted when I was 20 and I think #metoo is a load of bollox.

• Advertisement

I'm always looking at boobs. 99% of the time they aren't even nice boobs, but I do find myself involuntarily checking them to see if they are worth it. I think it's just built into men.
    For instance I hate small boobs and end up staring at small boobs thinking where are they.
    Other lads I know would hate big boobs and would stare at big boobs saying yuck.
    It's not something men are aware of. And when women comment to.men on other women's looks it is harsh, even when they are pretending to pay compliments to.other women's looks there is a lot going on below the surface that everyone is aware of but nobody says.

It's the same with everything, claims everywhere. You can't even have a sports day on the green in case someine falls over and claims.

It may not be ideal, but I don't think anyone wants to be a sacrificial lamb and protecting yourself and your reputation is paramount.

__..__ wrote: »
    I'm always looking at boobs. 99% of the time they aren't even nice boobs, but I do find myself involuntarily checking them to see if they are worth it. I think it's just built into men.
    For instance I hate small boobs and end up staring at small boobs thinking where are they.
    Other lads I know would hate big boobs and would stare at big boobs saying yuck.
    It's not something men are aware of. And when women comment to.men on other women's looks it is harsh, even when they are pretending to pay compliments to.other women's looks there is a lot going on below the surface that everyone is aware of but nobody says.

We had a couple of those ppl in work, talk to everyone's boobs as if mesmerised by them!

One day I saw a girl walking through the Office and yer man's head was actually bouncing up and down along with her boobs. She actually just burst out laughing it was that obvious !

anewme wrote: »
    We had a couple of those ppl in work, talk to everyone's boobs as if mesmerised by them!

One day I saw a girl walking through the Office and yer man's head was actually bouncing up and down along with her boobs. She actually just burst out laughing it was that obvious !

Well I wouldn't say I was that bad now. But if their is a boob I can sneak a look at I'll sneak a look. Trickle getting caught by someone whose boobs you are only looking at in a yuck way. Ever not be able to stop looking at a big spot on the end of someone's nose. It's not like you are looking because you find it attractive. You are just looking out of reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Do people know that Ireland is a matriarchal society?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

me_irl wrote: »
    X6asGEa.jpg

Pound? My hole.

Yankee nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Is whistling at women ok???

snowflaker wrote: »

As long as it's not the wolf whistle it would seem it's ok.

• Advertisement

No, could be harassment though

could be harassment if met all three though. Its certainly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

No, could be harassment though
    'If it makes her uncomfortable, it's harassment'. That should be clear enough.

I'm laughing at the term elevator eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

atticu wrote: »
    Do people know that Ireland is a matriarchal society?

Yeah, it was run from within the Magdalene Laundries until they were closed down. Who knows where the matriarchal elite hide now to do their dirty work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

You are referencing the same UN which put Saudi Arabia in charge of women's affairs. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Yeah, it was run from within the Magdalene Laundries until they were closed down. Who knows where the matriarchal elite hide now to do their dirty work.

Come back to me when you have lived in a patriarchal society, and we can discuss things in a more informed way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Use this rule of thumb : don't say anything to a woman that you wouldn't want a big butch guy saying to you in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

What's wrong with small boobs? #smallboobs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Welcome to the world of gender fascism. And it is worse it is getting. This repellent creep Weinstein and now #metoo has hastened its break from cover and social "studies" workshops in US universities. Using genuine victims and victimhood as politic.

Last week I read of yer man David Schwimmer from Friends who was being interviewed by a woman journalist and he suggested because the hotel lobby was too loud that they go up to his room, but that he asked her if she'd like a chaperone. She described this as sensitive to her needs and all that. A chaperone FFS. Where once Suffragettes fought for women to be independent free individuals with agency uncosseted by men because of their gender, their "feminist" great granddaughters seem hellbent on going back to a Victorian notion of women as emotionally weak, delicate creatures in near constant need of protection by and from men and the world. What a crazy turnaround. Caveat to that of course is their same great granddaughters want to have their cake and eat it too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is the woman a border collie, or other breed of canine? If so, it's probably ok.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Where once Suffragettes fought for women to be independent free individuals with agency uncosseted by men because of their gender, their "feminist" great granddaughters seem hellbent on going back to a Victorian notion of women as emotionally weak, delicate creatures in near constant need of protection by and from men and the world. What a crazy turnaround. Caveat to that of course is their same great granddaughters want to have their cake and eat it too.

No, women are not going back to emotionally weak, delicate creatures, but as we have seen recently some men will attempt to push themselves on women and if they are rich and powerful enough will get away with it.

By offering a chaperone Schwimmer was both putting her mind at ease that she would not be in any danger, and covering himself from any accusations of impropriety.

Instead of wringing your hands about women 'going back to a Victorian notion' why aren't you getting bent out of shape about the fact that in the 21st century men can't be trusted to keep their hands to themselves and need a chaperone to keep an eye on them?

Seriously, why 'women are hysterical' and not 'dudes: stop fondling women!'?

kylith wrote: »

By offering a chaperone Schwimmer was both putting her mind at ease that she would not be in any danger, and covering himself from any accusations of impropriety

I immediately thought this was his intention.

No, women are not going back to emotionally weak, delicate creatures, but as we have seen recently some men will attempt to push themselves on women and if they are rich and powerful enough will get away with it.

By offering a chaperone Schwimmer was both putting her mind at ease that she would not be in any danger, and covering himself from any accusations of impropriety.

Instead of wringing your hands about women 'going back to a Victorian notion' why aren't you getting bent out of shape about the fact that in the 21st century men can't be trusted to keep their hands to themselves and need a chaperone to keep an eye on them?

Its sad when meeting a woman that you"d need a witness to cover you from accusations of impropriety.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Its sad when meeting a woman that you"d need a witness to cover you from accusations of impropriety.

It's sad when meeting a man that you need a guardian in case he attacks you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It will get to a stage soon where people will feel there is something wrong with them if they haven't been raped or sexually assaulted.

I think we are at that stage.
    One of the girls at work said today that she likes getting wolf whistles. Well I couldn't believe the attack on her by the other women . It was savage. Poor girl will never say that again I can tell you.

I think it's at least 20 years since I saw a girl being wolf whistled. Does this still happen? If so why have I never seen it?

• Advertisement

Jeez, if life is like that well then perhaps they shouldn't leave the house. This isn't Mad Max territory. What do all those women do that go to work and queue for buses, trains, trams etc.

Or that triage nurse I met yesterday on her own when I went to A & E.

atticu wrote: »

Come back to me when you have lived in a patriarchal society, and we can discuss things in a more informed way.

You lost me at patriarchal. Come back to me when you can discuss topics free of dogmatic religious add ideological belief systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think it's a good thing if for no other reason than during the week, former world and Olympic champion gymnast McKayla Maroney used it to share her story of years of sexual abuse. The man she named, Larry Nassar, is the former US team doctor who is awaiting trial after more than 140 women came forward in the last year. During his 30 year approx career he would have had access to thousands of gymnasts.

McKayla is the most recent and the most high-profile by far of any of his victims. Media have ran with the story to blacken his name further. Hopefully it will inspire more to come forward.

Seems to me that nearly every male celebrity is being accused of rape these days. Maybe they are all rapists but I seriously doubt it. It was like all the Trump rape accusations that mysteriously disappeared.

Accuse a celebrity of rape = instant cash and fame. Who cares if you destroy their lives in the process.

You now have the likes of Justin Bieber paying for sex and Ronaldo paying for children complete with contracts.

Where were all these "brave" actresses for years who looked the other way when Weinstein continued abusing women? And why are only male actors being singled out? The females knew much better what was actually going on and did nothing. They should be ashamed jumping on the bandwagon too. They should have stood up at the time.

And FOR SURE there is a lot more going on in Hollywood, like the paedophile ring Elijah Wood alluded to a few years ago is an open secret. Why don't these "brave" hypocrites expose that?

I applaud the lady that exposed Weinstein. She has true courage. These MeToo idiots? Not so much.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Jeez, if life is like that well then perhaps they shouldn't leave the house. This isn't Mad Max territory. What do all those women do that go to work and queue for buses, trains, trams etc.

Or that triage nurse I met yesterday on her own when I went to A & E.

Have you not been paying attention?

We get whistled and shouted at in the street.
    We get groped in pubs.
    We get cornered by men who will not take no for an answer, or who get aggressive when rejected.
    We have it drummed into us from the time we hit puberty: 'don't be alone with a man'
    Every man on a quiet street is a potential threat
    Every man walking behind us could be a rapist
    Men we don't know are threats
    Men we do know are even bigger threats
    The single biggest threat to women is men

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, women are not going back to emotionally weak, delicate creatures,
    I didn't say they were. I did say that's increasingly the portrayal of women.
    but as we have seen recently some men will attempt to push themselves on women and if they are rich and powerful enough will get away with it.
    Some men will, yes.
    I suspect the latter more than the former. Plus he was promoting a film about sexual assault at the time so...

More of the same polarised rhetoric that separates the genders and again I didn't make a distinction between the two. Oh and both are "Victorian" viewpoints. Indeed the idea that women are vulnerable/hysterical and men are sexually predatory are givens in any patriarchal society you care to mention, past and present. Ironic that current feminism usually parrots the same viewpoint. Though in the end with this current rhetoric it always boils down to women are always victims and it's always men's fault. And of course men's responsibility to fix things.

As for #MeToo. Anything that supports actual victims of any crime in coming forward is to be lauded. I'm wary of media and Hollywood types promoting it though. I also worry that it's all surface twitter noise and little if anything will change. As I said on my very first post when the Weinstein wanker story broke
    They[Hollywood types] also tend to be attention junkies so I expect much outrage for a time, each fighting over twitter to be the most supportive/victimised.
    Colour me Nostradamus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Welcome to the world of gender fascism. And it is worse it is getting. This repellent creep Weinstein and now #metoo has hastened its break from cover and social "studies" workshops in US universities. Using genuine victims and victimhood as politic.

Last week I read of yer man David Schwimmer from Friends who was being interviewed by a woman journalist and he suggested because the hotel lobby was too loud that they go up to his room, but that he asked her if she'd like a chaperone. She described this as sensitive to her needs and all that. A chaperone FFS. Where once Suffragettes fought for women to be independent free individuals with agency uncosseted by men because of their gender, their "feminist" great granddaughters seem hellbent on going back to a Victorian notion of women as emotionally weak, delicate creatures in near constant need of protection by and from men and the world. What a crazy turnaround. Caveat to that of course is their same great granddaughters want to have their cake and eat it too.

I presume the chaperone wasn't male as that would have doubled the "threat" but then what if the chaperone also felt threatened by him? Probably should start training dogs for this sort of thing.

And it's come from experiences.....without derailing the thread, how did that monster Weinstein get away with it for so long?

A friend has taken up coaching a kids sports team.

The legalities around it are so intricate, he said he was sorry he bothered.

Yet when he thought about it, the rules were there to protect parties.

I really don't see anything wrong with what David Schwimmer did. Good practice.

I wonder at this stage if there are any women in the Western world who don't believe all men are animals and are struggling all day not to rape every woman they see. Lately I am extremely careful putting myself in any situation where I'm alone with a woman. It is handing her a loaded gun to ruin your life with no repercussions. It's sad but it is what society has come to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume the chaperone wasn't male as that would have doubled the "threat" but then what if the chaperone also felt threatened by him? Probably should start training dogs for this sort of thing.

I imagine the chaperone was for Schwimmer's benefit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement