Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property for pension

• 20-10-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Folks. Is it possible to purchase a property, on a mortgage, and use my employer's pension contribution towards the monthly repayments. When mortgage is paid off, which should co-incide with my retirement, the rent will be used as income in lieu of pension draw down??
    Thanks and best regards to all Boardsies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

rubber duk wrote: »
    Hi Folks. Is it possible to purchase a property, on a mortgage, and use my employer's pension contribution towards the monthly repayments. When mortgage is paid off, which should co-incide with my retirement, the rent will be used as income in lieu of pension draw down??
    Thanks and best regards to all Boardsies

Not possible the way you've said it there and you'd need an accommodating employer to be able purchase property in your pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It was possible in the recent past, but none of the banks will lend for this now. You'll need to have the full purchase price in your pension before you can get the property.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It was never possible under an employers scheme. Issues with Trustees potentially.

It was and still is possible under something like a SSAP, but it's restrictive and expensive. Some banks will still lend to the pension schemes of selected high net worth customers.

From an investment point of view it's highly questionable. All the pension assets in property - Irish property - one building. No spread or diversity there.

Advertisement