Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somebody in Westminister takes issue with the term "Ireland" on Wikipedia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

by the way - next time you are in doubt - refer back to the passport cover which lists both names.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland, gives the state its two official names, Éire in Irish and Ireland in English.

I just call it home :)

Of course you would your highness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

United Kingdom of Britain, Scotland and Wales, Ireland Australia India Canada New Zealand Hong Kong Zimbabwe Member of the EU and the Commonwealth

Frankly they are giving it away.

Dead right to remind us.

England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

buried wrote: »
    The people in those countries wouldn't have a clue what you were on about man. You're going out of your way to confuse them. They just know of 'Ireland'

I think it's important to clarify, specially in light of Brexit. One part of the island in the EU, the other part still in the UK and outside the EU.

...if Brexit ever happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

LordSutch wrote: »
    I live in Ireland.

Although if I was visiting England, the US, France, Germany or any other country I might well clarify Ireland by saying Southern Ireland or 'The Republic of' so they don't think I'm from Northern Ireland which has a whole different vibe and cultural identity + its in the UK & the ROI isn't.

Simples.

Same here. It's crucial to make that distinction to foreigners.

Even though most of them don't really understand/care anyway and assume that the entire island is part of the UK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

buried wrote: »
    The people in those countries wouldn't have a clue what you were on about man. You're going out of your way to confuse them. They just know of 'Ireland'

Yeah, pretty much everyone the world over knows what you mean when you say you're from Ireland.

The only people I've ever had anyone asking me what part of Ireland I'm from were English. And this is usually accompanied by some confusion on their part over which bit is ours and which bit is their's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

You can legally use the term Republic of Ireland, or Ireland to describe that part of (the island of) Ireland we all live in. One is the constitutional name, the other is the legal name description as defined in the Government of Ireland Act. 1948.

I dont particularly like Southern Ireland either, but then we are happy to use Northern Ireland to reference that part of the north of (the island of) Ireland which is part of the UK, and we often use the North to mean the same. Which leaves Donegal in a position where it is in the north ( but not the North) of ireland and Southern ( but not the south of) Ireland.

Donegal is a conspiracy to trick foreigners and doesnt really exist.

Also has some beautiful coastlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Southern Ireland makes perfect sense.

And it conjures to the imagination, somewhere warm and maybe Mediteranean:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

To try and calm this down a bit; The island is called Ireland. It is politically divided between the South, and Northern Ireland.

Our consitution describes our nation as "The Republic of Ireland, however it does not change the name of the state to the Republic of Ireland. The official name of the state is Ireland."

There's a bit of a controversy, as in the UK, and many other countries, I'm often asked am I from the south or the north, simply because they're not familiar with the history, and who can blame them, it's not taught, and we can't give outrage when someone isn't a history buff and asking us questions, or me it shows that they're at least interested in finding out more.

I don't understand the backlash. the guys in the North are happy to call it the North, and we usually call it Ireland, but people get confused. The UK, espesially the older generation, would call it, Ireland, and Southern Ireland, for the sake of internal politics.

To be smart about it, and when someone asks me "Oh, what part of Ireland are you from?" and to answer "Ireland" is a bit rude. Not everyone know's the full story, or the inherent sensitivity some people feel to it nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You can legally use the term Republic of Ireland, or Ireland to describe that part of (the island of) Ireland we all live in. One is the constitutional name, the other is the legal name description as defined in the Government of Ireland Act. 1948.

I dont particularly like Southern Ireland either, but then we are happy to use Northern Ireland to reference that part of the north of (the island of) Ireland which is part of the UK, and we often use the North to mean the same. Which leaves Donegal in a position where it is in the north ( but not the North) of ireland and Southern ( but not the south of) Ireland.

we are happy to do so because that is the correct name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Why dont we all get together later and change all the wiki pages with Northern Ireland/United Kingdom references in it to just Ireland for the craic.

Heres how the preable to the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 goes

The Republic of Ireland Act, 1948 [1]
    An Act to repeal the Executive Authority (External Relations) Act, 1936, to declare that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland, and to enable the President to exercise the executive power or any executive function of the state in or in connection with its external relations. (21 December 1948)

Until then the King had some powers ( to appoint ambassadors on the advice of the Dail etc.) - and in fact there was a 1936 act of the oireachtas which confirmed that, while otherwise reducing the power of the King and Governor general. According to wiki [2] the King was authorised (upon the formal advice of the Irish government) to appoint diplomats and consuls and to be involved in the formalities of making treaties. This existed post the 1937 constituion as well, and it wasnt until 1948 that the position of the Kind was changed. In that Act to remove the King's vestigual powers the description of the country was defined as the Republic of Ireland.

So it says the description of the State is the Republic of Ireland, but its name is Ireland. Make of that what you will.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948
    [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Authority_(External_Relations)_Act_1936

To be smart about it, and when someone asks me "Oh, what part of Ireland are you from?"

Meath.

we are happy to do so because that is the correct name.

We also use "the North" to mean the united kingdom part only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The most northerly point in Ireland is in the south.

Just saying.

We also use "the North" to mean the united kingdom part only.

speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Southern Ireland is used to distinguish the ROI (not in the UK) from Northern Ireland (part of the UK). A helpful distinction for much of the population in England who may not be aware if the distinction between the two!

No..........just no.

Never ever use the term Southern Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Ireland is Ireland.

If you're unable to grasp that, you're not worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Meath.

Then people will ask, is that the English part? Not everyone knows every county, it's not like the US.

Also There seems to be a lot of Devils Advcate and smartarsery in regarding the "The North of Ireland" or "Northern Ireland" as Offally or Cavan, or Even Wicklow.

When I'm talking to foreigners, family members and friends outside of the US , I'll always call it Ireland, and wait for them to ask, and explain what it means. The complex nature of our political history is no grounds to be an arsehole about where someone asks you where you're from. There's probobly no other country with the same kind of issues nowadays.

Imagine in 1980 when Germany was in two parts, and you asked a Berliner, "Which part of Berlin are you from?" and he answered "Berlin"
    To him he knows which part he's from, and he's probobly very loyal to his part of East Berlin, but to us it's rude and kind of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Donegal is a conspiracy to trick foreigners and doesnt really exist.

That's Leitrim you're thinking of.

Then people will ask, is that the English part? Not everyone knows every county, it's not like the US.

Neither Meath nor Ireland are in England.

If people ask you what part of one country you are from and ask what part of another country that country is in, then they are in need of education, not understanding simple geography.

Its bad enough i cant spell, but at least i know China isnt in Russia.

speak for yourself.

I am not speaking for myself. I dont do it. Plenty of people do.

I am not speaking for myself. I dont do it. Plenty of people do.

and they are as wrong as people who say southern ireland or "the south" when they mean the country of ireland.

Patww79 wrote: »

yeh, so if someone says he is going shopping in "the north", you would assume a fairly big old trip to wilds of Donegal for no obvious reason?

Heres the first ( of many) threads I could find using that description.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101564669

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I'm looking at taking a weekend break to either the Federal Republic of Germany or the Kingdom of the Netherlands. I might take in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg as well.

Neither Meath nor Ireland are in England.

If people ask you what part of one country you are from and ask what part of another country that country is in, then they are in need of education, not understanding simple geography.

Its bad enough i cant spell, but at least i know China isnt in Russia.

Once again, people are not always aware of how Ireland is composed. There's no need to be so dismissive of people asking that question, when I've been asked of it myself.

There is a part of the Island of Ireland, that is under UK or English rule, not everyone knows how it works. When I say to people in the US that I'm from Waterford, they ask is that in the south or the North. or is that un the UK part or the Independant part. Ignorance through not being told something does not always equal stupidity and intolerence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

People ask me where I'm from I say Ireland, if they follow that up with what part I say Dublin. I won't get into the north/south/Republic malarkey.

and they are as wrong as people who say southern ireland or "the south" when they mean the country of ireland.

they are in fact going shopping in the north. There is no geographical way around that fact.

but who really cares? What exaclty are people getting upset about? I mean most people on this thread didnt even know that the Republic of Ireland is a valid term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Southern Ireland is used to distinguish the ROI (not in the UK) from Northern Ireland (part of the UK). A helpful distinction for much of the population in England who may not be aware if the distinction between the two!

The most northern part of the Island is in Donegal, in Ireland.

Saying for example, Malin Head is in "Southern Ireland" sounds a bit silly when it is in fact more North than Northern Ireland.

uB7jDeL.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's not what they call it that's annoying, they could call it London-Ireland if it satisfied their own empire fantasies. What's annoying is that during the the Brexit negotiations and the rising possibility of no deal occurring, there's someone getting paid to do this.

I live here and am constantly frustrated with the absolute empire related delusion that drives Brexit. Now the UK is on the cusp of possibly reverting to WTO rules and this actually made the BBC news.

they are in fact going shopping in the north. There is no geographical way around that fact.

are we discussing this from a political perspective or a geographical one?
    but who really cares? What exaclty are people getting upset about? I mean most people on this thread didnt even know that the Republic of Ireland is a valid term.

nobody is upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oh! Have we started talking about wearing the poppy yet...?

not long now. have to go dig out my enamel one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's not what they call it that's annoying, they could call it London-Ireland if it satisfied their own empire fantasies. What's annoying is that during the the Brexit negotiations and the rising possibility of no deal occurring, there's someone getting paid to do this.

I live here and am constantly frustrated with the absolute empire related delusion that drives Brexit. Now the UK is on the cusp of possibly reverting to WTO rules and this actually made the BBC news.

Had to find a way to bring Brexit into it. Laughable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Never. I'm going to protest it by singing the rebel song, Willy McBride.

Ipso wrote: »
    Never. I'm going to protest it by singing the rebel song, Willy McBride.

Willie McBride is not a rebel song.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Willie McBride is not a rebel song.

:eek:

You mean Wolfe Tone fans are wrong!

• Advertisement

It's a traditional song and maybe the Wolfe Tones sing it, I don't listen to them. But it is about the grave of a soldier in the British Army.
    Rebel Songs usually feature ira. Or rebels.

Any time I've heard it sung by a drunken crowd they seem to think it's a rebel song, when 1916 is mentioned they really emphasise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There's a bit of a controversy, as in the UK, and many other countries, I'm often asked am I from the south or the north, simply because they're not familiar with the history, and who can blame them, it's not taught, and we can't give outrage when someone isn't a history buff and asking us questions, or me it shows that they're at least interested in finding out more.

I don't understand the backlash. the guys in the North are happy to call it the North, and we usually call it Ireland, but people get confused. The UK, espesially the older generation, would call it, Ireland, and Southern Ireland, for the sake of internal politics.

Not forgetting of course that the guys in the North are in the UK, ergo they certainly don't get confused.

Any time I've heard it sung by a drunken crowd they seem to think it's a rebel song, when 1916 is mentioned they really emphasise it.

"when you joined the great fallen of 1916" refers to the Battle of the Somme where two Imperial Colonial powers were feeding their proles into a murderous meat grinder in the name of expanding the power of their Empires. You could not get a song less Rebel.

I cannot comment on your telepathic reception of what people singing the song think. It could be on the blink.

Or. You are wrong about what Wolfe tone fans think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I like the fact that the British flag claims jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland.

If only we could return to the bosom of the benevolent, merciful empire.

• Advertisement

That quote I believe is about the Somme, rather than the rising. Lyrics are about France, No Man's Land, poppies and stuff.

People assume it's about the rising because it's a Wolfe Tones song, and has 1916 in it.

Or. You are wrong about what Wolfe tone fans think?

I may be, but like I said I always got the impression the people singing it thought it was a rebel song and it was usually in the middle of a bunch of rebel songs.
    And as Are Am Aye says it refers to the Somme, it was written by a Scot/Australian (I much prefer his other song The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, The Pogues have an excellent version) and Willie McBride could have been American, Canadian, Australian, English, Welsh or Scottish.
    I find it amazing this song is so popular butt we shy away from remembering the not so great war dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I'm looking at taking a weekend break to either the Federal Republic of Germany or the Kingdom of the Netherlands. I might take in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg as well.

What about a trip to the Constitutional Monarchy of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's as valid as going around saying you're going to visit the French Republic next week. It's a technical legal description for the nation that is officially known as Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
Advertisement