Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somebody in Westminister takes issue with the term "Ireland" on Wikipedia.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Erik Shin wrote: »
    The Constitution is the official capacity...I have literally never heard anyone in our officialdom call Ireland the ROI when referring to this country

The government of Ireland act describes the country as the Republic of Ireland. That’s the description not the name.

Not that it matters for non officials even if that act described the state only as Ireland.

I wonder if Germans pre 1989 went around getting upset if people asked them if they were from East Germany or West Germany and demanded instead that they be referred to the federal republic of Germany or the German Democratic Republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The Constitution is the official capacity...I have literally never heard anyone in our officialdom call Ireland the ROI when referring to this country

You’ve never heard anyone official in Ireland say “the republic”? Yeah right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

The government of Ireland act describes the country as the Republic of Ireland.

Not that it matters for non officials even if that act described the state only as Ireland.

I wonder if Germans pre 1989 went around getting upset if people asked them if they were from East Germany or West Germany and demanded instead that they be referred to the federal republic of Germany or the German Democratic Republic

Whataboutery and incorrect... But do go on

Whataboutery and incorrect... But do go on

You’re using both whataboutery and incorrect incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

You’re using both whataboutery and incorrect incorrectly.

Oh the ironing!!

• Advertisement

Take a gawk at the top right of this official document from revenue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state#/media/File%3AEnvelope_from_Irish_Revenue_Commissioners.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We know this already, ROI is used when you need to make a distinction.
    The official constitutional name of the state is 'Ireland'. The document you posted says so.

There are distinctions for the various parts of the UK too, if you need them. i.e. England, Scotland Wales etc.

We know this already, ROI is used when you need to make a distinction.
    The official constitutional name of the state is 'Ireland'. The document you posted says so.

There are distinctions for the various parts of the UK too, if you need them. i.e. England, Scotland Wales etc.

If people knew that why are they refusing to accept English people saying “the republic”, or saying that Irish officials would never use the Republic of Ireland. Or refuse to say the Republic of Ireland themselves when asked.

Why is there any debate?

The guy I responded to was clear that he thought only Ireland was legal and officials never used the Republic of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I don't mind it being referred to as Ireland or The Republic of Ireland, but somehow Southern Ireland grates on my nerves, as does the phrase British Isles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don't mind it being referred to as Ireland or The Republic of Ireland, but somehow Southern Ireland grates on my nerves, as does the phrase British Isles

Me too, but that’s probably because no Irish person says Southern Ireland.

• Advertisement

If people knew that why are they refusing to accept English people saying “the republic”, or saying that Irish officials would never use the Republic of Ireland. Or refuse to say the Republic of Ireland themselves when asked.

Why is there any debate?

'English' people are wrong to call it ROI. Somebody from outside the country is wrong calling it ROI.
    It is 'Ireland'.
    The other entity is Northern Ireland. If you need to make a distinction that is how you do it, correctly.

None of that annoys me. I don’t like Éire used in English - which was very common for years (and was used by British officials as they didn’t want to use Ireland).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eire_(Confirmation_of_Agreements)_Act_1938

But it’s not just that history, it’s like saying Roma for Rome in English, or pronouncing Paris Paree

'English' people are wrong to call it ROI. Somebody from outside the country is wrong calling it ROI.
    It is 'Ireland'.
    The other entity is Northern Ireland. If you need to make a distinction that is how you do it, correctly.

English people are wrong but Irish officials and official documents are right to use the Republic of Ireland to avoid ambiguity.

Ok, bro.

(You can see why they are confused though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ireland, Eire, Northern Ireland, Ulster, the UK, Ireland (the island of), Southern Ireland!

Its all here . . .
    LordSutch wrote: »

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That might be because Southern Ireland was (with Northern Ireland) one of the two political entities that was created when Ireland was partitioned by the Government of Ireland Act 1920. It never actually functioned as intended and was quickly superseded by the Anglo-Irish Treaty which established the Irish Free State in its place.

However the term Southern Ireland has continued to be used in some quarters to refer to its successors, in what can only be assumed to be with a disparaging intent. Much like they use Eire or the Irish Republic too.

Of course, this ignorance isn't confined to one side as we have our own delightful cohort here that insist on referring to Northern Ireland as 'the North of Ireland'. Not to mention those that don't seem to understand the difference between Northern Ireland and Ulster either.

I just use Ireland to refer to this state, unless it makes sense to use Republic of Ireland to avoid any ambiguity of meaning. And for informal shorthand, I think that the North and the South are acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wonder who it could be? Somebody from the DUP possibly?
    I can't think of any other MPs who would even give a toss about this kind of stuff.

Many other famous Irish people had similar edits.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41690920

DUP or that labour bitter auld lemon, Kate Hoey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

seamus wrote: »
    Oddly enough, politics attracts a high proportion of people who are anal to the nth degree about political history. Coupled with civil service desk jobs where you do 20 minutes of actual work a week, leaves a lot of time to make unnecessary pedantic changes to wiki articles.

I’m a civil seevant. What part of the civil service has you working 20 mins a week. I must try transfer immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You're more likely to meet people who have never heard of Ireland than people who care about what side of the border you are from.

You're more likely to meet people who have never heard of Ireland than people who care about what side of the border you are from.

The relevance of that to this thread escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

seachto7 wrote: »
    DUP or that labour bitter auld lemon, Kate Hoey.

Westminster is a big place with lots of aides, lackeys and general work experience people hanging around. I doubt very much that it was an MP tbh. That would just be pure sf bollox talk. (And they have offices despite their hatred of the dastardly brits. Lol.) Whoever it was has done some top trolling to republicans and triggered them though. So on that front bravo I suppose...

That’s the nature of Wikipedia. That’s why I would use alternative sources for my information.

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    Westminster is a big place with lots of aides, lackeys and general work experience people hanging around. I doubt very much that it was an MP tbh. That would just be pure sf bollox talk. (And they have offices despite their hatred of the dastardly brits. Lol.) Whoever it was has done some top trolling to republicans and triggered them though. So on that front bravo I suppose...

That’s the nature of Wikipedia. That’s why I would use alternative sources for my information.

I think most republicans have the attitude, 'who would be arsed doing something like that'.
    The level of hate would have to be pretty high and deeply ingrained.

I think most republicans have the attitude, 'who would be arsed doing something like that'.
    The level of hate would have to be pretty high and deeply ingrained.

Lol. Irish republicans must be the biggest MOPEs ever born on the earth so I disagree with your post strongly but with humour.

Do I have to bring up lead Sinn Feiner Barry mcelduff from Tyrone crying over the fact that McDonald’s didn’t bring some GAA inspired burger up to good old Norn Iron.

Google it for a laugh. I certainly did.

Lol. Irish republicans must be the biggest MOPEs ever born on the earth so I disagree with your post strongly but with humour.

Do I have to bring up lead Sinn Feiner Barry mcelduff from Tyrone crying over the fact that McDonald’s didn’t bring some GAA inspired burger up to good old Norn Iron.

Google it for a laugh. I certainly did.

Ah I see, you meant over reacting in general.

I see your McDonalds and raise the Italian flag on a school causing meltdown in loyalism.

Two can play that wee game.

Still wonder what level of ingrained hate would inspire somebody in Westminster to spend time doing this.

Still wonder what level of ingrained hate would inspire somebody in Westminster to spend time doing this.

To troll republicans perhaps..... it’s a good thing they didn’t rise to the bait....... Thank god there are no republican trolls on the internet eh Francie?

Is this the first time someone has changed something on that dopey wiki to annoy others or to take the piss? That is the nature of allowing the public to edit it surely.

Grab a maccie dees Gaelic burger and forget about small stuff like this. It would be funny if it turned out if was our PM Mrs May though I admit. Gerry said he would not put it past her.......

To troll republicans perhaps..... it’s a good thing they didn’t rise to the bait....... Thank god there are no republican trolls on the internet eh Francie?

Is this the first time someone has changed something on that dopey wiki to annoy others or to take the piss? That is the nature of allowing the public to edit it surely.

Grab a maccie dees Gaelic burger and forget about small stuff like this. It would be funny if it turned out if was our PM Mrs May though I admit. Gerry said he would not put it past her.......

Oh I know why it was done, I am wondering why anyone would be arsed.

You it seems are easily amused, clearly one of the phantom Wikialterers fanbase.

Plenty of amusement on d'internet for you I suppose. Carry on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It's great fun, look at this thread as proof. :D

You it seems are easily amused, clearly one of the phantom Wikialterers fanbase.

on

“wikialterers”is that a real word? Are you wikifended by what happened. That’s such a wikisapointment.

Did someone mention trolling? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The relevance of that to this thread escapes me.

There was a lot of discussion about foreigners being confused as to what side of the border somebody was from. In my experience, they don't even know there is a border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Trolling is fairly pathetic but you seem to be amused by it. So I suppose not a total waste of time.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Trolling is fairly pathetic but you seem to be amused by it. So I suppose not a total waste of time.

‘‘tis fairly pathetic I agree. But if some of the numerous republican trolls on here are offended then I have to give myself a wry smile over it.

It’s the reaction I’m laughing at, not the troll himself btw. I’ve aleady said it was a silly and stupid action. Giving it further advertisement is equally stupid though.

‘‘tis fairly pathetic I agree. But if some of the numerous republican trolls on here are offended then I have to give myself a wry smile over it.

It’s the reaction I’m laughing at, not the troll himself btw. I’ve aleady said it was a silly and stupid action. Giving it further advertisement is equally stupid though.

I wasn't a bit annoyed personally.

Sparked a good old discussion on an ongoing confusion arising from names though.

I think you are a bit too excited about the 'blow' he/she struck for the realm though tbh. ;)

I wasn't a bit annoyed personally.

Sparked a good old discussion on an ongoing confusion arising from names though.

I think you are a bit too excited about the 'blow' he/she struck for the realm though tbh. ;)

I never mentioned any blow for anyone? The names issue? in Norn Iron We refer to tHe south, down south, the republic, the free state even the odd time. Mexico sometimes even for the laugh...

Sure we are all confident in our identity aren’t we....

I never mentioned any blow for anyone? The names issue? in Norn Iron We refer to tHe south, down south, the republic, the free state even the odd time. Mexico sometimes even for the laugh...

Sure we are all confident in our identity aren’t we....

Yep, I am anyway.

Not so sure about somebody beavering away in the bowels of Westminster though. Sounds chronically insecure to me.

Yep, I am anyway.

beavering away in the bowels of Westminster though.

Sounds chronically insecure to me.

I like your turn of phrase. Very Dickensian (Charles) actually.

Insecure??... A lot of people seem very insecure I will agree on that....

• Advertisement

I like your turn of phrase. Very Dickensian (Charles) actually.

Insecure??... A lot of people seem very insecure I will agree on that....

Yeh, like the people who wreck the joint if you mess with the fleg etc? That kinda insecurity?

Maybe the phantom Wikialterer was attempting to get that kinda reaction? Fail. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yep, I am anyway.

Not so sure about somebody beaverbrooking away in the bowels of Westminster though. Sounds chronically insecure to me.

FYP :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement