Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants leaving. Advice needed

Options
  • 20-10-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi

I'm an accidental landlord as I inherited a property with tenants in situe. They are moving out and I plan to refurb. This is probably a stupid question but Im just wondering how the handover goes? I have an inventory list and they will give me the keys. Do I inspect the place with them there with me and give them their deposit back there and then or do I let them give me the keys and leave me to it and I post the deposit cheque back to them? I assume I have to ring up the electricity providers and change them into my name with a meter reading as well. Is there anything else I should be aware of or need to do?

I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's no prescribed way to take receive the property back from the tenant.

Personally, I think the inspection/inventory-check with the tenant is a good way to go. Deposit to be returned very shortly after giving yourself enough time to do a thorough check including appliances/heating/water etc. after the tenant has gone.

Iy may be a good idea to get a forwarding address just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Sasha144 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm an accidental landlord as I inherited a property with tenants in situe. They are moving out and I plan to refurb. This is probably a stupid question but Im just wondering how the handover goes? I have an inventory list and they will give me the keys. Do I inspect the place with them there with me and give them their deposit back there and then or do I let them give me the keys and leave me to it and I post the deposit cheque back to them? I assume I have to ring up the electricity providers and change them into my name with a meter reading as well. Is there anything else I should be aware of or need to do?

I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks

1. Agree a date at least a week in advance to inspect the property WITH THEM PRESENT.
    2. Before you start the inspection ask them is there anything they think may not be working - it gives them a chance to tell you about somehting without it being confrontational
    3. Operate everything -- and I do mean everything!!
    All the cooker rings/hob and the oven
    Put the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher on a short cycle to see they work.
    Check the fridge & freezer
    Run all the showers & taps
    Flush the toilets
    Switch on all lights in the rooms
    Open/close all doors to see they work properly - room doors, wardrobes, kitchen doors, presses.
    Check the shed and attic if fitted for damage/rubbish.
    4. After that look at wear and tear - you can't expect the house to be perfectbut holes punched in walls, a room badly painted, torn carpets is not fair wear and tear.
    5. Draw up a list of problems, if any, and both of ye sign it; if there aren't problems then draw up the document anyway stating that and both of you sign it.

Once that is done arrange to meet them on the day they are moving out.
    1. If there were problems a week ago & the tenant has said they'd fix them check these again and, if happy, write onto the doc you drew up last week and sign that you are happy the problems are fixed.
    2. Take all meter readings, a good idea is to take a photo of each meter and text it to the tenant there and then. You have proof of the meter reading that way.
    3. Change the utilities back into your account if it is still open or just set up a new account. This is important - otherwise the tenant is paying for your electricity usage in the house!
    4. Take back the keys from them.
    5. Return the deposit!!! THis is vital to most tenants as they need it for their next house
      Ask for their bank details so you can transfer the deposit. This gives proof of deposit return!!
      If they insist on cash get a receipt signed by both of ye, two copies - one for you, one for the tenant.
      If there are outstanding issues you can hold back some of the money BUT get a signed receipt from them before you hand back any money. Remember - without a receipt you cannot prove you returned the deposit, you could, if you follow the rule of the law, have RTB case taken against you for non return fo deposit without a bank transfer or receipt to prove deposit return

In a nutshell be fair to the tenant but protect yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I would never hand back a deposit there and then. It is only when you start to clean a property, do you discover they broke the bed base, stained the carpet with red wine, smashed a few drawers in the fridge, ripped a door off a wardrobe etc.

I think sitting on a deposit for longer than a week is taking the piss.

Also make it clear to the tenants, to start putting out waste now. I find Irish tenants, will put out half empty bins for the entire time they are there and then will have about 20 bin liners of waste to dispose of when they move out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All the above. And then change the locks.

Advertisement