Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harman Kardon Invoke - Cortana speaker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

or are you burned by Windows Phone and Microsoft Band and adopting a 'wait and see' approach with new Microsoft related hardware?

this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Given that it's easy enough to get a Google Home Mini from the UK, it's quite cheap and nearly all of the features work here - I'm not sure why you'd consider this very expensive alternative that doesn't work fully here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

abelocks wrote:
    this...
    Forgot to add Zune to the Hardware disappointments list. :)
    theothernt wrote:
    Given that it's easy enough to get a Google Home Mini from the UK, it's quite cheap and nearly all of the features work here - I'm not sure why you'd consider this very expensive alternative that doesn't work fully here?
    How do you find the Google Home Mini for use in Ireland? I have an Echo Dot at home (also not supported in Ireland), but it works really well for most things.

The Invoke will also be able to use Alexa "soon" according to Amazon / Microsoft, so could extend the lifespan of the device if Microsoft do abandon it. Anyway, I'll take a look and let you know how I get on and whether it's worth it.

AVcF5xG.jpg?2

First things first, this works surprisingly well in Ireland - in some respects better than Alexa / Echo Dot. For example, you can enter specific addresses in Ireland so it can give you local weather and details of local businesses, etc.

It works great for search, directions, traffic, reminders, Skype and smart home (like Nest or Fitbit), you can still use Spotify premium or TuneIn for music.

The sound from the speaker is truly amazing, as you would expect from HK, and can really fill a room. I was at the Microsoft Store in NYC and one of these speakers at about 50-60% filled the whole public area with crystal clear tunes (I honestly thought that they just had a regular tannoy / music system in the store until I started fiddling with the Invoke and realised that I was interrupting the music for everyone :D).

The microphones are great at picking up your voice from across the room (and sometimes from the next room) and doesn't often mistake what you are asking for (except for trying to pick a station on TuneIn ... on more than one occasion I've had to yell "No, not Fox News Talk! NEWSTALK ... from Ireland")

On the downside, some features like News Headlines are very US-centric, there's no RTÉ News Now or BBC / Sky News skills like on Alexa, iHeartRadio is US-only ... and then there's the power brick (see top of the attached photo), it supports 110-240v so works grand with just a travel adaptor - but, damn, it's ugly. You'll really want to hide that if you can.

I'll keep taking it out for a spin and do a proper review. Is there anything you'd like me to try out on it?

Interesting. For $199, this device is a great speaker, but we're still trying to determine the Cortana side of things.

For Black Friday it's is down to $99, that makes it easier to recommend.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/pick-up-a-harman-kardon-invoke-for-only-99-during-microsofts-black-friday-sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement