Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

10 - 16th Dec

Mon 10th
    Plan: Recovery or off
    Actual: Run home, 4 miles @ 10.31/m
    Did a yoga class at lunchtime.

Tues 11th
    Plan: 60 mins very easy
    Actual: Headed to club training for the first time in ages. Found others who only wanted to take it easy (I warned them of my very easy pace) and we had great chats! 5.4 miles @ 11.02/m

Weds 12th
    Plan: 55 min moderate
    Actual: Nothing. Did yoga at lunchtime, and my legs were feeling really tired.

Thurs 13th
    Actual: With the National Novice XC in mind, I thought I would try a little session instead of the planned run.. did a 10 min warm-up, 6x1 mins hard (supposed to be Vo2 max but I found it hard to get that effort right, was either too slow when I eased off and otherwise too hard), with 2 min recoveries and a 15 min cool down. Had been low on motivation heading out (long day in work) but settled into it about 5 mins in and quite enjoyed it.

Fri 14th
    Plan: 60 min very easy or off
    Actual: No running, but did a one hour Yoga for Sport class which was really excellent. Going to try make this a Friday habit.

Sat 15th
    Plan: 50 mins easy , last 5 @ threshold
    Actual: The less said the better.

Sun 16th
    Plan: 1 hr 45 mins easy
    Actual: 90 mins easy. I had been down the country all day at a nephew's birthday, which meant a horrifying amount of cake and sweets and chocolate. Only got back to Dublin about 8.30 but I was dying for a run, and one that I would hopefully enjoy. Headed out about 9pm and really loved every step. The paths were nice and quiet (but not lonely) and it was such a crisp night. 8.7 miles @ 10.20/m.

Total miles: 23.4. Low enough but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Nice going V. I wouldn't be hard on yourself about the mileage - at this time of year and with just coming back to it after a bit of a break I think that's good going to be honest. Delighted you had such a good run on Sunday, I love those quiet evening ones sometimes. Hope your nephew enjoyed his birthday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    Nice going V. I wouldn't be hard on yourself about the mileage - at this time of year and with just coming back to it after a bit of a break I think that's good going to be honest. Delighted you had such a good run on Sunday, I love those quiet evening ones sometimes. Hope your nephew enjoyed his birthday :)

Agree with this! December is damage limitation month for me! Just do what i can when i can with no pressure.... Fair play to you on getting out so late yesterday evening when it would have to been easier to have a lazy evening after getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fair play for getting out last night and finishing the week on a positive note after Saturday.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Fair play to you on getting out so late yesterday evening when it would have to been easier to have a lazy evening after getting home.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out last night and finishing the week on a positive note after Saturday.

Thanks guys, it was important for me to get out last night. Was at the risk of getting into something of a funk after Saturday. Not to be dramatic... but Christmas time can be hard (emotionally) tbh.

If the trail run doesn't go ahead, we should arrange a parkrun meet up or something. We can chat about cr*p movies and great books ;)

Huzzah! wrote:
    If the trail run doesn't go ahead, we should arrange a parkrun meet up or something. We can chat about cr*p movies and great books

I'd really love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I dont agree with the less said the better approach.

You went down, lined up. You had thoughts. You don’t have to share, but you can if you like. If not, that’s fine too. You wouldn’t be the first to have a bad race. Are you ok now?

Murph_D wrote: »
    I dont agree with the less said the better approach.

You went down, lined up. You had thoughts. You don’t have to share, but you can if you like. If not, that’s fine too. You wouldn’t be the first to have a bad race. Are you ok now?

I've written about bad races here before, that's not an issue. The fact is how I was feeling after Saturday wasn't so much to do with running, but more to do with the "other stuff" in life. The crappy race just brought everything out, and I was feeling quite fragile on the drive back from Navan.

I suppose with the race itself, I hadn't particularly wanted to do it in the first place but the club had wanted a team and I felt obliged. I was dressed, about to line-up, and I still considered not doing it at that moment, such was the low desire for it(plus we'd already lost people and therefore had no team). That's never a good place to start a race from.

• Advertisement

Dec 17th - 23rd

Mon 17th
    Plan: 20 mins recovery or off
    Actual: Yoga at lunchtime and no running. Class went deep on the backbends, and I felt it the next day!

Tues 18th
    Actual: 60 mins very easy. 5.6 miles @ 10:54/m. Had hoped to make it up to training, but decided I wanted to be done earlier so I could watch crappy Christmas movies with my housemates :)

Weds 19th
    Plan: 70 min progression
    Actual: Work drinks and Ash gig. Assumed it would be an early night, but apparently I was feeling reckless!

Thurs 20th
    Actual: 30 mins progression, with 5 mins warm up and 5 mins cool down. Forced myself out at lunchtime to shake off the drinks from the night before (and before I headed out for a few again that night... honestly this time of year is a marathon in itself). Progression paces were easy (10.20 range), easy moderate (9.40 range) and moderate (9.10 range). Felt good to get a bit of effort in. 3.9 miles @ avg 9.51/m

Fri 21st
    Plan: 60 mins very easy or off
    Actual: 60 mins very easy. Was working from home, but there wasn't much happening so shut up shop about 3pm, and headed out while it was still daylight. 5.6 miles @ 10:46/m.

Sat 22nd
    Plan: 50 mins easy, 4x200s @ 5k effort, full recovery of 2-3 mins
    Actual: 20 mins easy, 4x200s way too hard, parkrun easy moderate. Okay, so I just noticed the 5k effort bit now. I honestly thought to run them hard given the full recovery bit. My paces were 7.07, 6.29, 7.19, 6.59. None of which I have ever held for a 5k...:o
    I'd wanted to do parkrun as 2 of the women in the club were doing their 100th, hence the split-up 50 mins.

Sun 23rd
    Plan: 2 hours easy
    Actual: 1 hour 45 mins easy. I might have done the 2 hours if I'd gotten up earlier, but had to be back for brunch and Les Miserables :) This was a great run, felt like I could have run another half hour easily, despite having gone before eating anything at all this morning.

Total miles: 31.2. Happy, but the shin feels a little funny at times again.

This week: last week of the base plan (although I did miss a fair bit in the middle), but will be messed up with the 10k on Stephen's day. My main fear for the 10k is that my Dad could beat me, so slow do I feel :D
    I also appear to have left myself a week between this plan and into the 5k/10k one, so maybe I'll just repeat the last week of this one.

Enjoy today and good luck :)

Huzzah! wrote:
    Enjoy today and good luck

Thanks! A lot of food to be run off!

Mon 24th, Tues 25th: Nothing but lazy family time. What it's all about

Weds 26th: Fields of Athenry 10k
    My brothers have done this a lot over the years (one of them 11 years on the trot now), so I decided to sign up this year as well as persuading one of my sisters and using the race entry as a birthday present for my dad. Family day out!
    I knew I was nowhere near PB territory given November and December's diet, as well as the couple of weeks off for my shin, and the lack of any speedwork. But I also wanted to give the race a bit of a rattle to see where I'm at before heading into the grads 10k plan.

Didn't arrive early enough for a decent warm-up, just about had enough time to queue for the portaloos, and then a trot up to the start area. It started bang on time which is great, and it wasn't at all cold really. Started out with the sister, and stayed with her until about 3k in. I was trying to keep around 8 min miles and see if I could hold it, and had to tell her to slow it a couple of times as she was going faster than her best 5k pace... she got a new watch but never checks her pace! Anyway, first 5k was full of drags and little hills so I did find the going tough now and then. Was complaining to myself way too much, and had to give myself a serious talking to, remind myself my body was fine and my breathing was fine and how are you supposed to judge the next training if you don't have a proper go at this!! Once I got to halfway I was intent on finishing strong. Have to say, having my sister somewhere behind me kept me going...I need her to enter more of the same races :L Struggled through the 5th mile, presumably cos I pushed the first half a bit, but with last mile being downhill for the most part, I was able to muster up something of a strong finish.
    Passed my sis in law on the last straight to the line and made sure I smiled for her camera, being determined to have a nice race photo for once :p Noticed eldest brother was there already so must have had a good race!
    Crossed the line and some lad was puking up his turkey..
    Chip time 50.04, so was a little annoyed I didn't finish 5 seconds quicker but no harm. I've broken 50 before so it's not too sickening!

Lovely race, and a nice hat for my efforts. Eldest bro got a PB, as did my Dad...clearly they didn't eat enough on Christmas Day.

Thurs 27th: Nothing but a short walk ...for food

Fri 28th: met my friend who is getting married on New Year's eve for a lap of the local parkrun. 3.7 miles at about 9.25/m pace. Warm enough morning and good chats!

Sat 29th
    A little family excursion up to Corkagh parkrun. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the park is there. It had been drizzling all the way up, but the skies cleared just in time for the start of parkrun, and I got in a little mile warm-up.
    Like the dope that I am, I took off like someone who a)is fitter than I am and b)hadn't run a 10k race earlier in the week. Struggled to keep it up in the 2nd mile and then was heaving like someone hadn't run in a year by the 3rd mile. Just in time for Lazare coming across me as he bounded by in no distress at all!
    Finished in 25 mins on the dot, nice fast finish to the parkrun if you were in good form. I'll be back I reckon.

Sun 30th
    One last chance for a run in 2018, as I've a wedding tomorrow. Fab morning, and the 10 miles were a pleasure. Very quiet on the roads, bar a few cyclists. Finished it kinda steadyish without meaning to, but I'll be back to a bit more discipline soon enough.

Total miles: 24.2. Happy enough with that for Christmas week!

Might do a wee recap, look-forward/goals post on New Year's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Happy New Year V. Best of luck with everything in 2019. Isn't it amazing that Clondalkin has a nice park! :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Happy New Year V. Best of luck with everything in 2019. Isn't it amazing that Clondalkin has a nice park! :pac:

Cheers S and many happy returns! I didn't mean to phrase my surprise at the park like that :p

2018 review
    This time last year I was starting into the marathon training plan for Limerick. It had been a really hard and dark Christmas, and I was so glad and in need of the focus of the marathon. 12 months on, and while 2018 was a mixed bag in terms of races, I can honestly say I am proud of the little achievements I had in 2018.

During the Limerick training cycle, I got a mile PB (7.07 --> 6.49, Jan), a 5 mile PB (43.04 --> 37.39, Jan) and a half marathon PB (2.01.xx --> 1.46.54, March). I'm not sure I've ever felt as strong for a race as I did in Mullingar on St. Patrick's Day for that half marathon, and there is so much comfort in knowing what your body is capable of; a headspace I need to get back to in 2019.

The marathon itself was written about here enough in the report, but I suppose in all honesty, part of me is disappointed with the time (4.29), that's just my nature. BUT I am very proud of the achievement and the €6,600 raised for the cancer ward in St. Vincent's.

My one fear throughout marathon training was "what next?". It was such a big thing leading up to the anniversary, that all I could see past that date was a big black hole. The future really scared me, and I felt like I would have nothing once the marathon would be over with. I think this is why I found myself so drained, both physically and mentally in the couple of months after Limerick, leading to the DNF in Dunshaughlin. (It's probably also why I ended up signing up for DCM).
    Going on advice from a number of people, I took it easy running and goal-wise until after my holidays in July, and got back into a plan leading up to DCM. I wasn't always convinced I was going to bother with DCM during this cycle, and I changed my mind a good few times, although I stuck with the training plan as I actually really enjoy training for a marathon as it happens!
    Through work, I had been signed up to a 10 mile in Amsterdam, so I knew I wanted to hit that one hard before DCM and was so delighted to get that PB (1.26.xx --> 1.19.47, Sept). And even though I shouldn't be going for 5k / parkrun PBs a couple of weeks before the marathon, I was doing my 50th and decided to give it a bash and managed it (23.10 --> 22.48, Oct).

DCM was a flash of bad luck, although I sometimes wonder if there was an element of self-sabotage: I had complained many times in the days leading up that I hadn't had a bad run in weeks and worried it would happen on the day! I still have no idea why I was so unwell, but I am fairly sure I was run down in the week leading up to DCM so probably my body just rebelled. It was a massive disappointment, but I am glad I was in a good headspace by this point that it never got me down too much.

Took some time of running, and then got back into the base building plan, until my shin started acting the maggot and I took another little break, and put on too much weight :(

Two last races in 2018 were another DNF in the National Novice XC, which frankly I shouldn't even have lined up for (lesson learned), and the 10k in Athenry on Stephen's Day, which was a lovely experience and a nice race to round out the year.

I finished the year with 1365 miles, which is about 300 more than 2017, so I am thrilled with that.

2019 Goals / targets / plans

In 2017, I ran 21 races. In 2018, I ran 11. I can't help but wonder if the lack of race practice had some impact on me in terms of the DNFs, so I do intend to sign up for more this year. Given I have no marathon plans, I think this should be achievable.

Ever since I heard (hopefully correctly) that a sub-45 min 10k would get you an elite entry in the mini-marathon, I have gotten obsessed with making that my next target (never mind that I hated that race the one time I did it!). I don't know if it's achievable in 2019, but I'm happy to play the long game and chip away at my PB. The intention now is to follow the 5k/10k grads plan starting on Monday, and enter a few 5 and 10ks in the next 4 months and see what happens really.

I don't see myself doing longer than 10k races until July when the 10 mile in my hometown is on, and then probably a couple of half marathons in August / Sept.

Possible/probable races:
    NIA mile race 22nd Jan
    Raheny 5 mile (might miss it but will see)
    Craughwell 10k March
    St Patrick's 5k March
    National 10k April
    Limerick Relay marathon May (more for fun with the family than anything else)
    Inisbofin 10k May
    WMM June
    Day of Irish PBs 5k July
    Edenderry 10 mile July
    Tullamore HM August

And I don't want a single DNF this year.:rolleyes:

I will also keep an eye out for IMRA races, as well as some track meets in the summer (the lower grade ones :p).

Mileage wise, I'd like to hit 1500 in 2019, although without marathon training I'm not sure how that will go.

Think that's all I wanted to post! Happy New Year to everyone who comes to read my log; I really appreciate the interest and the advice given, as well as the time taken to impart said advice. You're a sound bunch.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    2018 review

During the Limerick training cycle, I got a mile PB (7.07 --> 6.49, Jan), a 5 mile PB (43.04 --> 37.39, Jan) and a half marathon PB (2.01.xx --> 1.46.54, March).
    was so delighted to get that PB (1.26.xx --> 1.19.47, Sept). And even though I shouldn't be going for 5k / parkrun PBs a couple of weeks before the marathon, I was doing my 50th and decided to give it a bash and managed it (23.10 --> 22.48, Oct).

You're another one who's done really well this year and I only realised how well recently when I looked back on your opening post, but to see it laid out so clearly highlights the point - a really cracking year.

BUT I am very proud of the achievement and the €6,600 raised for the cancer ward in St. Vincent's.

Amazing. Just amazing.

Think that's all I wanted to post! Happy New Year to everyone who comes to read my log; I really appreciate the interest and the advice given, as well as the time taken to impart said advice. You're a sound bunch.

Good luck with the goals. No doubt I'll see you at some of the races you listed. A very happy 2019 to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That was a great year V and so much to deal with emotionally too. Some great achievements there.

Enjoy starting the 5-10km plan. I’m having great fun with it. If you do 5 runs a week on it you should hit the average number of miles you need for 1500 I think. Most runs work out about 6 miles and then the longer run.

• Advertisement

A great year and exciting times ahead as well, lots of variety in 2019, it will definitely be interesting and hopefully fun and successful too! So many ladies flying the flag in these parts now, it's fab to see :)

It's fairly phenomenal to see it all laid out like that. You've produced some amazing times this year, I'm jealous! Not to mention the range of distances (and TWO marathons!)

That's a huge amount of money to have raised too, you're right to be proud.

Happy new year to you too :)

Thanks for the very kind comments ladies :)

Finding myself between plans this week, I just did a bit of whatever took my fancy. I had a wedding to attend on NYE (which was a 5am job), then got home in time to change, show my mother the pics and head out for night 2 :)

Weds 2nd Jan
    6 miles easy @ 10.23/m.

Thurs 3rd Jan
    5 miles easy (runmute) @ 10.25/m

Fri 4th Jan
    No running, but a fair bit of walking as well 1 hour Yoga for Sport.

Sat 5th Jan
    Up to Marlay on a shock-to-the-system frosty morning! Did a couple of easy miles before parkrun. It was immediately obvious there was a much larger crowd than usual up there! I had no plan for parkrun other than start off easy enough with the hill, and then take it up gradually as tends to happen anyway if I start a parkrun easy. Ended up a nice little progression (8.53, 8.03, 7.48 and 6.50 finish). Met up with Huzzah! and her bf afterwards for a tae and chat. Lovely morning.

As an aside, it was one of those mornings where my head and heart were full of love for parkrun. When I moved to Dublin in 2007, I never liked it and went home every weekend, never thinking it was a place where you'd get to know your neighbours. Parkrun has completely changed my mind on this; I arrive up there and instantly recognise and chat to at least 10 people and the atmosphere is always so positive (at every parkrun location).

Sun 6th Jan
    Hadn't been to club training in ages so guilt sent me up for the Sunday long run. A few of us decided to do the bottom bit of the Kilmashogue route; tough but so good for the legs. 7 miles total (had planned 8 but that was without a big hill :p) @ 10.14 which is too fast for my LSR, which really leads me to believe that I need to do this alone, or at least be prepared to fall back from the group.
    One thing from this morning though, was one of my clubmates pointed out my armswing to me. Apparently, I swing the arms side to side, which is bad for my back and shoulders (presumably adding to the tightness I struggle with in yoga). I am gonna try keep this in mind in future and get them into a back-and-forth swing.

Total miles : 24

But yaaaay I am starting a plan tomorrow! God bless routine and planning.
    Will skip the Monday run this week so I'm not straight into a 6 day week, but otherwise sticking to the plan like glue! Using the slower paces as advised...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Best of luck with the new plan!

As an aside, it was one of those mornings where my head and heart were full of love for parkrun. When I moved to Dublin in 2007, I never liked it and went home every weekend, never thinking it was a place where you'd get to know your neighbours. Parkrun has completely changed my mind on this; I arrive up there and instantly recognise and chat to at least 10 people and the atmosphere is always so positive (at every parkrun location).

Love that warm fuzzy feeling! I am kind of the opposite of you, a city girl who moved to the country but i found it equally hard to integrate in the community for the first few years. It got easier with kids in school but that's not an answer for everybody and can bring a whole other set of problems! Park run would've been such a god send for me had it been around in those years. But still now i love it, it's such a place of refuge, i love that everybody has their own goals but a common purpose. In the past year i've mostly been doing Park run at easy pace so i've got chatting during the run, it's amazing the connection you can make while running 5k.

Best of luck with the plan, no doubt you will nail it.

ariana` wrote: »
    But still now i love it, it's such a place of refuge, i love that everybody has their own goals but a common purpose. In the past year i've mostly been doing Park run at easy pace so i've got chatting during the run, it's amazing the connection you can make while running 5k.

That's exactly it! Uncomplicated goodness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Best of luck with the plan!
    Funny you should mention arm swing, its been something I’ve been conscious of lately too especially when running at pace.

Best of luck with the plan!

Thanks, but sadly have a bad cold now so the start might be a bit delayed :(

I had a wedding to attend on NYE (which was a 5am job), then got home in time to change, show my mother the pics and head out for night 2 :)
    Never mind any of the running, this is what I'm impressed by. You're hardcore!

Hope the cold goes on its way quickly :(

• Advertisement

Thanks, but sadly have a bad cold now so the start might be a bit delayed :(

Sorry to read this, get well soon.

Advertisement