Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Grads 5k/10k plan: Week 1
    Jan 7th - 13th

Mon 7th
    Plan: 20 mins recovery or OFF
    Actual: OFF. Hadn't planned to run but the sniffles from Sunday had turned into a fairly bad head cold.

Tues 8th
    Plan: 60 mins very easy
    Actual: OFF. Felt pretty bad and took the sensible option of resting.

Weds 9th
    Plan: 8 x 1 min hills
    Actual: OFF. Slightly better but again not wanting to be an eejit.

Thurs 10th
    Actual: 60 mins very easy. Hurrah, finally a run. 5.4 miles @ 11.13/m.

Fri 11th
    Plan: 60 mins very or OFF
    Actual: 30ish mins very easy. Did the Friday evening yoga for sport class, and decided to jog home from it. 3.1 miles @ 11.07/m

Sat 12th
    Plan: 25 min tempo
    Actual: 26.57 min tempo :P
    Had looked up tempo pace, checked how long that would mean for a parkrun and figured 1-2 mins extra wouldn't be reckless. Popped into Castletown parkrun on my way to my parents for this. Did an easy 2 mile warmup (10.56/m) and somehow ended up in a field and had to climb over a gate. Parkrun avg pace was 8.35/m which is a little too fast (upper end of tempo range is 8.37 so not toooo bold), and then a pathetic cool down to the car park with my younger brother... need to cop on and do a proper one if I'm working parkruns into this. Discovered I'd left my car open but thankfully nothing amiss.

Sun 13th
    Plan: 1 hour 45 easy
    Actual: 10 miles easy - 1 hr 47 mins. Rounded it up to 10 miles just because. Avg pace 10.39/m.

Total: 24 miles. Hardly a stellar start to the plan, but hopefully will get stuck in now. I'm going to do the hill session this week instead of the other, think I'll get more out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Did an easy 2 mile warmup (10.56/m) and somehow ended up in a field and had to climb over a gate.

:D
    This really made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    :D
    This really made me laugh!
    Me too, brilliant! :D
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Parkrun avg pace was 8.35/m which is a little too fast (upper end of tempo range is 8.37 so not toooo bold)
    Interesting, that's slower than my tempo pace, and you're faster than me! Maybe mine should be slower... Realistically it should be now anyway given my current state of fitness! What did you base yours off?

Hope you're feeling better!

Changed my training paces to my fitness as-is i.e. the 10k I ran on St. Stephens Day. I gave that a proper bash so I think it's a fairly good indicator (ignoring the inevitable feeding the day before). It's a bit annoying to see it drop, but if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right and not half-assed.
    Probably not slowing up my very easy paces much though, as I don't want to die of boredom, need to keep SOME enjoyment in it, but that just means the faster end of the very easy range, not going fully rogue.

Ah ok, got you. I plan to do the same myself, only I don't have a recent race to go off yet. But Raheny in a week and a half will presumably see my training paces slowing :rolleyes:
    You're dead right anyway I'd say, that's the way to do it.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote:
    But Raheny in a week and a half will presumably see my training paces slowing

Wasn't it Raheny last year you were sick for the lead up and smashed it?! Although I guess a winter of being injured is different sadly

Wasn't it Raheny last year you were sick for the lead up and smashed it?! Although I guess a winter of being injured is different sadly
    I was sick the morning of the race, no problems in the lead up though. It definitely went way better than I expected given how crap I felt before it! I was fine once I started running though - the wonders of adrenaline :p
    I'd say this year will be a different story because the training just isn't there, but only one way to find out! Can't say I'm looking forward to it though. Pity you'll miss it!

Mon 14th Jan
    Plan: 20 mins recovery or off
    Actual: no running but 45 min yoga class at lunchtime

Tues 15th
    Actual: 60 mins of crap!
    Went along to club training and tried to keep to the back to do my very easy pace, but (and I feel bad being annoyed about this) people kept dropping back to me thinking I must be injured and encouraging me along so eventually I gave up keeping the pace down and holding people back ( even though I tried to tell them to keep going ahead) meaning I ended up with miles that weren't easy or steady, just junk. I was very peed off but stuck around for the 30 mins S&C afterwards so I could be pleased with some of the night.

Weds 16th
    Plan: 6 x3 min CV
    Actual: 8 x 1 min hills
    Day started well when I became an aunty for the 12th time :D may have added to the weird excitement I felt for this session! Had discovered thanks to Strava that the hill beside the dropping well pub has the 6%th gradient as recommended so I ran the long way around to there to get a decent warm up done. I loved this session. Found the 6th rep the toughest but managed to keep going for all 8, and no cheating on the 2.5 min active recoveries. Reps were: 7.30 , 7.48,7.28,7.25,7.29,7.32,7.31,7.25. The second was the slowest due to a near collision with a dog I think.
    Back the way i came for a nice cool down and 7 miles for the evening.

Thurs 17th
    Actual: 60 mins very easy. Runmute, 5.5 miles @ 10.56/m

Fri 18th
    Rest day but yoga in the evening.

Sat 19th
    Plan: 5 x 5 mins threshold
    Actual: parkrun at threshold pace. My eldest brother was running his 50th parkrun down the country so I headed down. Did a couple miles warmup and said I'd try the whole thing at threshold. Found it hard at first but settled into it then. Started slow and finished fast meaning the average was ok, but need to dial in and hold it better.

Sun 20th
    Plan: 1 hour 45 mins easy
    Actual: 1 hour 45 mins easy (avg 10.32/m). Did a bit before joining up with the club, went to fast with them but knew the hill bit up Kilmashogue would slow it down again and then tried to stay properly easy afterwards. Lovely morning despite the rain which Google promised me wouldn't be there :rolleyes:

Total miles 32.9. Pleased with the week.

Next week will be hard and work stuff means I'll be taking a leaf from Applegirls book and trying to run early! Have a mile race with the club in Tuesday evening ... I just don't want to be slower than last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a mile race with the club in Tuesday evening ... I just don't want to be slower than last year!

Oooo. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great pace on the hill session, i'm in awe :eek: Good luck with the mile race :)

• Advertisement

Congrats on the new family member! Lovely news.
    Good luck tomorrow night! I'm dying to try a mile race so will be keen to hear how you get on!

Thanks ladies!

Also meant to add an update on what I've cooked / baked from the Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow book as I know a few others purchased it also.

Turkey meatballs: my favourite from it so far, yum and dead simple to make.
    The bonk burgers are essentially the same thing only a different meat so they also will become a regular for me!
    Oven fried chicken thingy: I messed up the recipe so need to try again before I make a final decision, but I wasn't convinced.
    Cannellini soup: grand, but not overly exciting.

Peanut butter cups: I didn't like them but then I don't actually like peanut butter so maybe that's why...
    Oat cookies: yum, and quite guilt-free!!

Made a few others but these are what O remember right now!

Thanks ladies!

Also meant to add an update on what I've cooked / baked from the Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow book as I know a few others purchased it also.

Turkey meatballs: my favourite from it so far, yum and dead simple to make.
    The bonk burgers are essentially the same thing only a different meat so they also will become a regular for me!
    Oven fried chicken thingy: I messed up the recipe so need to try again before I make a final decision, but I wasn't convinced.
    Cannellini soup: grand, but not overly exciting.

Peanut butter cups: I didn't like them but then I don't actually like peanut butter so maybe that's why...
    Oat cookies: yum, and quite guilt-free!!

Made a few others but these are what O remember right now!

I got distracted by my BBC slow cooker recipe book, but I must give the meatballs and bonk burgers a go. Thanks for the review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Wow your hill paces are amazing, I always find them so tough

This week was juggled a little due to real life stuff, like work and friends :) oh and a 1 mile race!

Mon 21st
    Plan: 20 mins recovery or off
    Actual: 30ish mins recovery after work, 3.4 miles @ 10.49/m. Rainy night but nice once I got warmed up.
    Yoga class that morning before work.

Tues 22nd
    Actual: NIA Live 1 Mile race
    Twice a year, the club has a mile time trial. Usually we rent an outdoor track for the trial, but this year it was suggested to all go along to the NIA Live event one night and enter the mile race. This was a great night. One of the guys had organised a bus to bring us, so there was a bunch of giddy adults all headed over together!
    The venue was so accommodating, agreeing to put on a few races to allow the different pace groups to run without anyone feeling too slow, or without it feeling too crowded (there were over 45 of us from the club!).
    I joined the sub-7 race as last January I had run 6.49. I honestly wasn't sure if I'd be able to run that again, as I have been feeling slow lately but was determined to at least try match that time. I thought the biggest challenge would be the fact that this track is 200m as opposed to the usual outdoor 400m, and 8 laps is mentally harder than 4!
    Having gotten inspired from my incredible clubmates in the sub6.30 race, I set off at what I thought was steady but not overboard pace. I'd planned on hitting the 1st lap in 49 seconds (all I could go on as GPS doesn't work indoors!), and the clock showed 48 as I passed lap 1. I was ignoring everyone around me trying to stay focused, but I do remember a couple of guys passing me in lap 2. Coming into lap 3 was when I noticed how dry my mouth and tongue were - ah yes, indoor air. Lovely. Found it tough getting to halfway, but once I hit halfway I knew I still felt strong. I wasn't sure what pace I was going but it felt like I was putting in decent effort. In the last couple of laps, I knew one of the guys was hanging on behind me cos I could hear the others around the track shouting my name and then his right afterwards. I also knew he would wait until the last bit to try outrun given other speed sessions :P During lap 7 though, I did have the thought that I should be working harder by now...
    Into Lap 8 (and a bell ring, so professional!), and I increased the pace ever so slightly. I had another guy in my sights now, could see he had been slowing and knew I still had something left. Around the last bend, and I gave it everything I had. Passed out the guy in front of me, but was now in a sprint with the guy behind me. Fecker beat me across the line by 0.18 seconds!!!! Anyway, I had to rest against the railings before I could even check my watch. Official time was 6.36.49 . Bloody delighted. And honestly, I think I could have given a bit more but sure there's always June for that.
    Not sure if they were part of what helped, but I'd bought Nike Zoom Elites months ago after a recommendation from my brother who said they take seconds off 5k time :p Had never worn them but figured a mile race would be a good place to try them. They are lovely and light and were really comfy, no harm anyway I'd say.

Weds 23rd
    Plan: 8 x 1 min hills
    Actual: Did the 60 mins very easy before work, considering the hard mile from the night before. Was still buzzing from the race so it was easy to get up. 5.7 miles @ 10.56/m.

Thurs 24th
    Actual: Had planned to just do one session along with the race, and enjoyed the hills last week so did it as my session. Nice 2 miles-ish warm up. I had thought last week that 2.5 min recoveries were generous, so reduced it to 2:10 this week. I thought this was why it felt so much harder, but when I got home and saw my paces this time around... well, that was also an element. Reps were 7.22, 7.18, 7.37, 7.29, 7.26, 7.25, 7.17, 7.15. Felt dead at the end, no surprise.
    I did get distracted on the 3rd rep as there were men pushing a broke down car up the bottom of the hill :o
    Total miles for the evening: 7

Fri 25th
    Had considered doing 60 mins very easy before work, but I was so tired from Thursday's session, I just couldn't do it.

Sat 26th
    Ditched the session ( for this as 60 mins very easy seemed the more sensible option (hopefully this was smart?). 5.6 miles @ 10.40/m. And then off to a hen party...

Sun 27th
    Plan: 1 hr 45 mins easy
    Actual: 10 easy - 1 hr 47 mins easy
    This was done late tonight as I did some family visiting on the way back from the hen. Stuck on some tunes to get me through it, and it was actually a lovely night for it. Only thing is as soon as I got home and took off my runners, my feet felt crippled. Have worn the Pegasus 35s for 60 odd miles now, and I think it's time to call it. They just don't seem right at all. Might try find cheap 34s online, those ones were perfect.

Total miles: 33.8
    Happy with how the plan is going. Legs feeling a bit of extra pace already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Great job on the mile.

Regarding the Pegasus 34s, they'll have them in the Nike shop in Blanchardstown and you'll get them a lot cheaper than 35s.

Impressed at your long run fairly late in the evening and after a hen to boot but I'm more impressed by your super-speedy mile time. Fab!

Wottle wrote:
    Regarding the Pegasus 34s, they'll have them in the Nike shop in Blanchardstown and you'll get them a lot cheaper than 35s.

Thanks D! That's a good idea

Huzzah! wrote:
    Impressed at your long run fairly late in the evening and after a hen to boot but I'm more impressed by your super-speedy mile time. Fab!

Thanks E! Was worth the hours of coughing afterwards!

That was a huge PB on the mile race, wowsers! And that hill session too, well done speedy!

How did you find doing the long run so late - were you able to sleep after it? I'd be afraid i'd be a bit wired and not able to sleep?

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    How did you find doing the long run so late - were you able to sleep after it? I'd be afraid i'd be a bit wired and not able to sleep?

It was fine, but then I was also tired from a late night on Saturday night? I had actually struggled to sleep after the mile race, was totally wired that night.

My main fear of running so late at night is if something happened and people would be saying "What was she doing out that late?"...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

That was a great time in the 1 mile race, well done. The Nike Zoom Elites are a lovely shoe, I'm on my 3rd pair, swear by them.

That mile time! Wowzers :eek:
    Between that and the late night long run after being at a hen - well, you're made of stern stuff!

eyrie wrote:
    That mile time! Wowzers Between that and the late night long run after being at a hen - well, you're made of stern stuff!

Stubbornness runs in my family :p

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Wow well done on your mile time, fantastic! You'll beat that fecker who passed you out in the last second next time :D

Mon 28th
    Yoga at lunchtime and a recovery run home from work. 5k @ 11.15/m.

Tues 29th
    Headed out for 60 mins very easy. Job done. 5.6 miles @ 10.55/m.

Weds 30th
    Yoga at lunchtime.
    Evening session. 2 miles-ish warmup, 6 x 2 mins at Aerobic Pace, 2 miles-ish cool down. 3 min recoveries.
    Loved this session. Paces should have been in 7.30-7.40 bracket but I found my legs a bit slow in finding that pace the first two reps but got to it by the end of them , and then I was an idiot the last 4. Having been reading other training logs this week, I know that's not smart training. That said, I was surprised how easy it felt keeping that pace.
    Splits: 7.32, 7.26, 7.21, 7.15, 7.27, 7.24.
    Totally miles 7.3

Thurs 31st
    Another 60 mins very easy as a runmute. 5.6 miles @11.00/m. Weather was rotten but glad to get it done.

Finished January with 136 miles. Best start to a year I've ever had.

Fri 1st Feb
    No run but 1 hour yoga for sport after work. Really got into the hamstrings and calves which was great.

Sat 2nd
    Another session. Up early because I was due to volunteer at Marlay. Wanted to be more disciplined than Wednesday night and achieved that for the most part.
    4 x6 mins at Threshold pace which is the bracket of 8.12 - 8.24/m
    8.37 ( inaccurate as GPS issues but effort felt right), 8.14, 8.09, 8.09. 2 min recoveries and only short warmup and cool down. Total miles 5.4

Am writing this up from the airport as I'm headed to the States with work for a week, so hoping to get the long run done despite any jetlag tomorrow. Will be a challenging week to follow thr plan with my days literally planned out for me from early morning to night, but I'll certainly try my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Thank you for your service, took me till after to realise it was you that gave me the cheer, used to seeing you in running gear.

Great week. Best of luck with the work travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enjoy the running abroad. Saw your strava session earlier. Seattle should be fun.

• Advertisement

Sun 3rd Feb
    Finished out week 4 with a long run in Seattle. Woke up early as expected with the time difference. Had planned out a route to see the space needle on my run, so naturally I went the wrong way for a while first :rolleyes: Eventually realised and headed the correct way, adding extra hills to my run, very very steep and short hills. Not the most scenic city downtown but nice to get out for that. 7 miles at 10.36/m.
    Followed by Chesecake Factory and the Superbowl :D

Total for last week: 34.2

Week 5
    Mon 4th Feb
    Woke really early again, and to 8 inches of snow!! Down to the treadmill for a recovery 5k @ ... varying paces according to watch and treadmill! Watch had 11.27/m but it didn't feel like that.

Tues 5th
    Early start again, 60 mins easy on treadmill. Watch said 5.5 miles @ 10.48/m which seems about right when compared to other 60 min runs recently.
    Long day of sitting down, networking and drinking :o

Weds 6th
    Should have been doing hillsprints but the snow and dark mornings (and streets that don't feel entirely safe) meant I wasn't going to get outside. Ended up doing an interval session on the treadmill. Warmup, 4 mins with 5% incline , 3 mins rec and repeat 4 times. Was well sweaty by the cool down. Didnt change the pace setting for the inclines as I thought that would be too much? 4 miles for the morning.
    Another full day with drinks after...

Thurs 7th
    Somebody consumed too much red wine the Weds night so didn't make the gym this morning :pac: plus we had a 7am start to meetings. Painful. Then team bowling that night. I was useless :(

Fri 8th
    Up for the 60 mins easy I should have done Thursday. 5.6 miles @ 10.36/m. Thank God for Netflix.

Sat 9th
    Another 6-8 inches of snow overnight meant the parkrun I wanted to do was cancelled. So back to the darned treadmill one last time. Session was 15 mins tempo, rec, 10 mins threshold. Set the treadmill to the appropriate paces and hoped it was accurate. It felt very hard, so really felt like a good workout at least. 6 miles for the morning, avg pace 10.04
    Off to the airport and thankfully no flight issues!

Sun 10th
    Got home about 2pm, had some food and a nap and then headed out for my 1 hour 45 mins as per the plan. 2 miles in, I had to loop back home to put in contacts! Couldn't see a thing with the rain. Off again then and ended up doing 2 hours with the route chosen. Loved it, despite the wind and rain and cold. So nice to be outdoors and feeling tiptop.

Total miles: 35.7 (if the indoor tracking can be believed)

Back to normal proceedings this week thankfully.

Advertisement