Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Sun 3rd Feb
    Finished out week 4 with a long run in Seattle. Woke up early as expected with the time difference. Had planned out a route to see the space needle on my run, so naturally I went the wrong way for a while first :rolleyes: Eventually realised and headed the correct way, adding extra hills to my run, very very steep and short hills. Not the most scenic city downtown but nice to get out for that. 7 miles at 10.36/m.
    Followed by Chesecake Factory and the Superbowl :D

Total for last week: 34.2

Week 5
    Mon 4th Feb
    Woke really early again, and to 8 inches of snow!! Down to the treadmill for a recovery 5k @ ... varying paces according to watch and treadmill! Watch had 11.27/m but it didn't feel like that.

Tues 5th
    Early start again, 60 mins easy on treadmill. Watch said 5.5 miles @ 10.48/m which seems about right when compared to other 60 min runs recently.
    Long day of sitting down, networking and drinking :o

Weds 6th
    Should have been doing hillsprints but the snow and dark mornings (and streets that don't feel entirely safe) meant I wasn't going to get outside. Ended up doing an interval session on the treadmill. Warmup, 4 mins with 5% incline , 3 mins rec and repeat 4 times. Was well sweaty by the cool down. Didnt change the pace setting for the inclines as I thought that would be too much? 4 miles for the morning.
    Another full day with drinks after...

Thurs 7th
    Somebody consumed too much red wine the Weds night so didn't make the gym this morning :pac: plus we had a 7am start to meetings. Painful. Then team bowling that night. I was useless :(

Fri 8th
    Up for the 60 mins easy I should have done Thursday. 5.6 miles @ 10.36/m. Thank God for Netflix.

Sat 9th
    Another 6-8 inches of snow overnight meant the parkrun I wanted to do was cancelled. So back to the darned treadmill one last time. Session was 15 mins tempo, rec, 10 mins threshold. Set the treadmill to the appropriate paces and hoped it was accurate. It felt very hard, so really felt like a good workout at least. 6 miles for the morning, avg pace 10.04
    Off to the airport and thankfully no flight issues!

Sun 10th
    Got home about 2pm, had some food and a nap and then headed out for my 1 hour 45 mins as per the plan. 2 miles in, I had to loop back home to put in contacts! Couldn't see a thing with the rain. Off again then and ended up doing 2 hours with the route chosen. Loved it, despite the wind and rain and cold. So nice to be outdoors and feeling tiptop.

Total miles: 35.7 (if the indoor tracking can be believed)

Back to normal proceedings this week thankfully.

Great commitment, you could easily have justified taking a day off or doing a shorter run after travelling. Great week all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

What ariana said. Seriously impressive to get a full week like that in despite the travel. And mostly stuck on treadmills too!

What's Seattle like? I've always had a desire to go but haven't made it over there yet!

Thurs 7th
    Somebody consumed too much red wine the Weds night so didn't make the gym this morning :pac: plus we had a 7am start to meetings. Painful. Then team bowling that night. I was useless :(
    *shudder*

That should be illegal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote:
    Great commitment, you could easily have justified taking a day off or doing a shorter run after travelling. Great week all in.

Thanks! I was feeling strangely energetic though

eyrie wrote:
    What's Seattle like? I've always had a desire to go but haven't made it over there yet!

I found it a bit of a letdown tbh.. very grey and dull..the other side of Lake Washington is nicer, Bellevue. It's the expensive side!

I found it a bit of a letdown tbh.. very grey and dull..the other side of Lake Washington is nicer, Bellevue. It's the expensive side!
    Typical!! :rolleyes:

Mon 11th
    Recovery run 25 mins (2.4 miles), runmute directly home i.e. no taking a longer way home. Was feeling tired so no need to push things. 10.42/m avg pace.

Tues 12th
    Very easy 60 mins @ 10.51/m (5.5 miles). Tight calves in this which I will touch on later. Lovely evening for a run.

Weds 13th
    Session night. This week it was 5 x 5 mins @ CV pace (7.50 - 8.00/m) with 4 minute recoveries. I kept overcooking this, and to be honest I was still feeling fine in the last rep, but I did honestly try keep dialling it back. Paces were 7.54, 7.45, 7.46, 7.39, 7.41. With 2 mile warmups and cool downs, it ended up being a decent midweek distance of 9 miles.

Thurs 14th
    Another very easy hour. Have been breaking in another pair of the older Pegasus (34s) and had them too tight resulting in some painful feelings in my foot. Once I stopped to loosen them, they felt a good bit better but I am wondering if feet can change...? Anyway, runmute of 5.6 miles @ 10.44/m avg.

Fri 15th
    Rest day.

Sat 16th
    Another session, 3 x 8 minutes @ threshold (8.12 - 8.24). This felt too easy. Yes, the effort was up but it didn't feel like too much work, even in the last rep which I slightly overcooked. (8.12, 8.13, 8.03). Almost would have done another set only for time constraints. 15 mins either side, bringing it to 7 miles for the morning.
    I'm hoping its because I've gotten some pace back already with this plan?

Sun 17th
    Long run of just over 10 miles, 10.29/m avg pace. Pacing all over the shop thanks to the wind. Did it in the evening as I really felt I needed a lie in. I was down in my parents and my mother decided to wake me this morning anyway asking if I wasn't going for a run?! :rolleyes: I've set my bar too high :p

Total miles: 40.2. Highest since before DCM.

Back to the tight calves. Felt them most runs and I need to be a bit better about home stretching. I've been forced into a break from yoga and pilates thanks to a banjaxed arm (tennis elbow AND a ganglion cyst :( ) so I think the lack of that is already showing in my calves and hamstrings. Could be worse though - at least I can still run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thurs 14th
    Another very easy hour. Have been breaking in another pair of the older Pegasus (34s) and had them too tight resulting in some painful feelings in my foot. Once I stopped to loosen them, they felt a good bit better but I am wondering if feet can change...? Anyway, runmute of 5.6 miles @ 10.44/m avg.

Funny, I'd the same thought on Saturday. My feet were so painful at the start of my run that I wondered if it was time to reconsider my trusted ASICS GTs. Tightening the laces solved it for me though.
    Sat 16th
    Another session, 3 x 8 minutes @ threshold (8.12 - 8.24). This felt too easy. Yes, the effort was up but it didn't feel like too much work, even in the last rep which I slightly overcooked. (8.12, 8.13, 8.03). Almost would have done another set only for time constraints. 15 mins either side, bringing it to 7 miles for the morning.

You've a race coming up, I think? No harm to see if need to vary your paces a wee bit.

Total miles: 40.2. Highest since before DCM.

Nice week. Hope the arm recovers pronto!

Huzzah! wrote:
    You've a race coming up, I think? No harm to see if need to vary your paces a wee bit.

Yeah a local 5k on March 3rd. Already have my excuses ready cos part of it is on the bog, just hoping it's not too xc-like or I'll be hating it! But kinda impatient now to try a race...hopefully a good sign

Definitely sounds like it! Which is not surprising given that your paces were quicker before, so it looks like you're getting comfortably back to that now. And more! :D
    Back to the tight calves. Felt them most runs and I need to be a bit better about home stretching.
    I really notice it now whenever I get slack with the stretching/yoga. Can't believe the days when I literally never stretched and was fine! :eek:

Mon 18th
    25 mins recovery, 2.5 miles @ 10.48/m

Tues 19th
    Very easy hour. 5.5 miles @ 10.53/m

Weds 20th
    Session: 10 x 90 seconds @ Vo2 (7.12 - 24), 2 min recoveries plus 2 mile w/u & 2.5 cool down
    Split paces: 7.13, 7.10, 7.25, 7.10, 7.17, 7.09, 7.15, 7.22, 7.11, 7.09.

Thurs 21st
    Very easy hour. 5.6 miles @ 10.45/m

Fri 22nd: rest day (at a wedding)

Sat 23rd
    Skipped the tempo, too dehydrated after the wedding. Very easy hour, 5.5 miles @ 10.48/m

Sun 24th
    1 hour 45 easy, including up the hills to Ticknock. 9.5 miles @ 11.08 average.

Total: 37.6. Nothing crazy to report this week really. Ticking along, halfway through the plan now.

Half-way already :eek:

Another solid week, well done.

Will you taper a bit for the 5k?

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    Will you taper a bit for the 5k?

No, as it's not the main race I'm targeting. Obviously I won't do the Saturday session (race is Sunday), but will do a few easy miles.

Nicely done on the VO2 max session. Can't believe you're halfway through already! You've been doing great training, it'll definitely stand to you this weekend.

Mon 25th:
    25 mins recovery runmute. 2.3 miles @ 10.52/m.
    Managed to pick another head cold, 3rd this year. Not sure what's going on with that.

Tues 26th:
    Very easy hour runmute. 5.6 miles @ 10.47/m. An evening made for running weather-wise.

Weds 27th:
    Session night. This week it was 5 x 3 mins at AP (7.30 - 7.40) with 3 min recoveries.
    Split paces: 7.37, 7.34, 7.10, 7.06, 7.37. Lost concentration in the middle two and kept speeding up, which obviously added to the feeling of "this is hard" that I had. Otherwise, was fairly happy getting it done. Shoulder felt a bit sore after physio that day (tennis elbow related, but apparently all coming from tight shoulders, it was the worst appointment ever. I didn't know what rotator cuffs were before, but I certainly do now :( )
    Total miles for the evening 7.5.

Thurs 28th:
    Another easy runmute rounded up to 6 miles, 10.41/m.
    Finished Feb with 147.6 miles.

Fri 1st March:
    Rest day. Was off work to perform some godmotherly duties at a Confirmation down west :)

Sat 2nd:
    Rather than the session, I did another easy hour (due to the race on Sunday). Was still in my parent's house, so tried out the new walking path around the new GAA pitches in the town. Was handy in case of rain cos it's only a few mins from home. Really enjoyable run, was a nice surface to the path and was distracted by the laughter of the underage training going on. Nice to see them having fun while doing their drills. 5.7 miles @ 10.19/m (little on the fast side).

Sun 3rd:
    I had signed up for a local 5k race thanks to a friend tagging me on the event on FB a few times :) It was advertised as being through the bog, so I really wasn't sure just how "boggy" it would be. Given the rain the last few days, I knew that patch would be nicely soft now.
    Headed over in good time to get a couple of warm-up miles in and got chatting to a man who warned me to forget any time on this course, as the bog section was too hard. Fair enough! Also the weather conditions were rotten enough.
    Once we started, I switched my watch to the clock face, as I only wanted to go by effort. We took out hard, but it felt reasonably manageable, and if we were to slow down a couple of kms in, then I was ok with getting a hard first mile in. I reckon it was about 2kms in when we turned into the forest section, with its long, damp grass (but definitely bog underneath). I lost a few places here (to men) and had definitely slowed but told myself to keep the effort up. About 500m on, the surface turned to pure soft (horrible) bog :( There were also a fair few twist and turns, and my ankles were sinking into it! My breathing was fairly deep now, but I just kept telling myself to keep the head down and we'll surely be out of this soon as my watch beeped for a second mile!
    The course then turned onto a more gravely path for another section, until the 5k'rs (there was also a 10k) turned right into another bit of boggy section, before eventually hitting a road again. I passed a young lad (prob no more than 13) along here, and this started a back and forth as he seemed determined not to let a woman beat him :) We both came to a halt when we hit upon a t-junction with no signs, but a girl behind shouted right, so right we went. Just then, my watch beeped for a 3rd mile, but I knew we were nowhere near the finish! Got fairly annoyed as I was hurting now, and also, I had entered a 5k! But again, just kept up with the young lad and was fairly confident I was hitting a decent pace again on the road. Eventually we spotted the finish line just beyond a lovely hilly canal bridge, and this is where my young friend left me for dead :)
    Saw that it was 27 mins something crossing the line, which had me very disappointed as I felt my effort was high, but then when I stopped the watch I saw the distance as 3.56 miles so that left me feeling slightly better.

Thanks to it being a small GAA fundraising affair, I was 2nd lady home and got 20 euro for my troubles :)

Did another couple of miles cool down waiting for my Dad to finish the 10k. Was a bit worried about him getting around the boggy parts but he was fine, and absolutely loved it.

So not a day or course for a PB, but I was really happy with how it went. It's the type of course I might easily have given up entirely on. Looking at Strava, the 5k mark is about 24.40 which I'd be fairly happy with on a tough course like this if measured correctly.

Total miles for the week: 34.8

Let's hope the snow doesn't eff up our running this week, eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice going today V. I did wonder alright why your pace randomly dropped off on Strava about 3/4 of the way through!
    We both came to a halt when we hit upon a t-junction with no signs, but a girl behind shouted right, so right we went

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congrats on the podium, conditions sounded very testing.

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Nice going today V. I did wonder alright why your pace randomly dropped off on Strava about 3/4 of the way through!

I actually think that's a different point where the ground was so bad everyone stopped completely to get through...fairly sure I automatically paused my watch when we didn't know which way to go.

Problem with this race is I'm still not sure what I can realistically target in the 10k in 3 weeks time. Oh well.

Very well done V. Super running in really tough conditions. It must have felt amazing to get a podium finish and prize! What's the 10k course like? Sub 48 perhaps :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Very well done V. Super running in really tough conditions. It must have felt amazing to get a podium finish and prize! What's the 10k course like? Sub 48 perhaps :)

It's the Craughwell 10k so don't think it's too tough? Normal enough, few drags / hills etc.

I'll aim for a PB now when I think about it, so yeah hopefully sub 48 (current is 47.38). Nothing to lose.

It's the Craughwell 10k so don't think it's too tough? Normal enough, few drags / hills etc.

I'll aim for a PB now when I think about it, so yeah hopefully sub 48 (current is 47.38). Nothing to lose.

I've done the 10m there and it's a nice route, not flat but definitely fair, as you say a few drags/hills but no more than you'd expect. I think you've done it too though haven't you? Lovely spot, there was a great buzz about the place last year anyhow, it was such a beautiful day which helped - were you manning a water table last year or did i dream that? You're well on for a PB, no bother to you, your training's been great and you have cracking speed. Will more of your family be racing?

Yep, I was a water station helper last year! It was fun :) My brother and his family are very involved in the club there.
    I think 2 of my brothers are doing the 10m, 1 sis and 1 sis-in-law in the 10k as well as myself, and possibly my Dad as you literally never know what he will decide!

• Advertisement

Haha wow it's a real family affair so! It'll be great fun for you all, i love the sound of that, just class :) I'd love to be doing it myself this year but it doesn't suit :(

Oof that sounds like one hell of a course! :eek: Testing to say the least. That's bound to stand to you.
    Congratulations on the podium spot, what a result!

Loved that report. The course sounds wicked. Well done again on the podium finish. Looking forward to seeing how you go at the 10k.

Mon 4th
    3 mile recovery home. Can't remember much about this but looks a bit on the fast side for recovery @ 10.36/m.

Tues 5th
    60 mins easy. 5.6 miles @ 10.40/m.

Weds 6th
    Usually session day, but had after work plans for a cuppa and a chat with a gal I haven't seen in months, so we talked longer than expected and I decided to leave the session until the next morning.

Thurs 7th
    2 mile warm-up, 8 x 2 mins @ CV pace which is 7.50 - 8.00 window.
    Split paces: 7.51, 7.56, 7.49, 7.39, 7.32, 7.30, 7.39, 7.29
    Felt slow to wake up for the first few as usual, then had wind on my back for no.4, the rest were too fast cos the legs had woken up. Felt good on this.

7.2 miles for the morning incl the cool down.
    Got far too many comments on Strava about the early start on this; there are a lot of people who get up earlier than this most morning! (including my eldest bro who felt very hard done by :pac: )

Fri 8th
    Had gone out Thurs night for a colleague's leaving drinks, really didn't think it would be late but apparently we were having too much fun. Hence, the planned easy run before work on Friday didn't happen and I'd to head down the country that evening so no time later when I felt less delicate! One missed run :o

Sat 9th
    Being down in a rather lovely hotel in Wexford, I had obviously searched what parkruns were close enough and Johnstown seemed to be the winner. Told my pals my plan the night before and one of the girls decided she'd come along for her first ever parkrun! :)

This parkrun is currently on Wexford racecourse, which means it's very open to any wind...
    Did a mile warm-up and very quickly realised the far side of the track was going to be interesting with a strong wind and a lovely little incline.
    Lined up beside my slightly nervous friend and when we set off I very quickly realised I was a bit far down the group. Sped to get past people and suddenly made the decision not to run tempo pace as planned, but to run fast enough the side where the wind was on my back, and then let the pace drop the headwind side! Managed this nicely enough on the 1st lap, with mile 1 lapping at 8.02. Around here I realised there were only a few women ahead of me so I decided to play a game of catch. Continued the fast / easier tactic on lap 2 but when I got to the incline, it suddenly seemed more like a small hill and a massive gust of wind had us all almost stopped dead on it! It must have looked comical :D Mile 2 lapped at 8.06 and I caught who I thought was the 2nd place woman. Into the 3rd lap and I glanced at my watch on the nice side of the course, 6.55! Yeah there was a strong wind behind me but it really didn't feel like there was that much effort but I eased off a bit anyway. Coming up to the now-mountain for the last time, I realised the "woman" I thought was the 1st place woman was in fact a teenage boy :o Caught him and upped the effort slightly to try finish strong. Lapped my friend who was enjoying herself thank god. For the finish you leave the course and head under the stand. Mile 3 lapped 7.34 . Caught a man just before the finish and passed him... felt kinda bad as its not a race but I couldn't help myself.

Finish time 24.49 ( I think; someone had dropped the tokens so they were having a bit of a nightmare recording times via writing down barcodes!) Hardly spectacular but given the wind and that I never felt like I was pushing much, I'm quite pleased with it. Nice to be 1st female finisher too :)

Cool down involved heading back out on the course to find my friend and get her home. She was delighted with herself, had never ran 5km before but walked the hilly bit which is totally fair! Love introducing people to parkrun :)

Sun 10th
    Headed out this afternoon for my long run, and knew I'd add 15 minutes after missing one run this week, which I don't think was too reckless. I was very luck to get a 2 hour window with zero rain and a fair bit of sunshine. It's still very windy but I really really enjoyed this run. Ran from home up to Marlay and then said I'd see how I'd manage a bit of Kilmashogue lane on my own. I told myself I'd just go to the postbox we use as a marker in the club, but when I got to the postbox I decided to keep going to the next marker. Got to the next marker and decided I may as well keep going to the car park now :) Delighted with myself! 30 seconds there to catch my breath and headed back to Marlay and then home.
    11.5 miles @ 10.27/m.

Total miles: 32.6. A bit lower than usual due to the missed run, but I'm not much bothered by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm liking these podium finishes! Well done.

juke wrote:
    I'm liking these podium finishes! Well done.

parkrun isn't a race though ;)
    How did you enjoy your volunteering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

parkrun isn't a race though ;)
    :p
    How did you enjoy your volunteering?

Loved it! Such a positive way to spend the morning.

Woop, congrats on the first place finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ooh that’s nice to be first female. Very well done.

• Advertisement

Well done on the first finisher spot. I nearly stalkedjoined you at parkrun on Saturday morning to get my session done, but when I heard the wind, I knew it would be form of torture.

Hope Monart lived up to expectations!

Advertisement