Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s a good week and the CV session was too. My paces are faster than planned generally at the moment but I give myself a bit of leeway due to decent races too.

You’ll need a plan to keep yourself during the week too with a little less running ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote:
    You’ll need a plan to keep yourself during the week too with a little less running ahead of you.

Yeah, I need to figure out how to watch Netflix without the urge to snack constantly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »

Weds 3rd Apr
    Back up to Marlay for the last of the big sessions on this plan! Being a really wet and miserable evening, I almost had the park to myself and only saw one dog - the dream. 2 miles warm-up, followed by 5 x 5 mins @ CV (7.50 - 8.00 target pace), 2.5 min recoveries.
    Split paces: 7.50, 7.27, 7.33, 7.23, 7.22.
    Did them in the field in front of the big house, and I could tell when I was going too fast as I had to do just a bit more than the 1k lap. I did try stay disciplined but I suppose I also had it in the back of my mind that I can afford slightly faster given my last 10k, but these are still too fast for that I reckon. Enjoyable session though. 2 miles again to cool down.

If you’ve a 5k in the books soon, I think your current PB will be toast.
    Abandoned my hard parkrun idea for the 2k time trial as per the plan (and after the advice on the grads thread). Marlay again, and just went in time for the group warm-up. Decided to do the first 3k at moderate-ish pace so the leap in pace for the last 2k wouldn't feel so extreme. The 2k should have been run at about 6.50 pace according to the calculator, but I just couldn't hold it. I could blame the forest section with the drag but honestly I just couldn't bring myself to push that bit more. 2k total time about 8.47. C'est la vie. Think I slowed on the last straight too instead of picking it up.

That 4th k in Marlay is as mentally tough as it is physically. I stepped off the last time I “raced” Marlay. It’s an incline, the surface is rubbish and the GPS feedback isn’t positive. Hard to push yourself when you’re not racing and at the end of a tough training plan before taper.

Enjoy your “down” week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yeah, I need to figure out how to watch Netflix without the urge to snack constantly :p
    If you figure this out please do share with me :o Tesco sweet and salty popcorn is my latest guilty pleasure, even better with a bag of Maltesers thrown in on top :D

Great week again, agree with Huzzah your 5k time will be toast whenever you get around to it. That CV pace is enviable. Maybe faster than they should have been but they are pretty consistent (taking out the 1st one) and your last one was your fastest so i'd say that's all a very good sign that they were only faster because your paces may need updating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    If you figure this out please do share with me :o Tesco sweet and salty popcorn is my latest guilty pleasure, even better with a bag of Maltesers thrown in on top :D

I can't get enough of that stuff either!!!! :)

• Advertisement

If anyone with more knowledge than I happens upon this...I'm thinking ahead as is my nature, and wondered if this sounds sensible / ok.

After the 10k this weekend, I only plan on some easy miles where possible the following 2 weeks (maybe a parkrun Easter weekend) as I've a lot on in normal life :) and think the break (of sorts) would be good.

The next race I'd like to give a lash is the Women's Mini Marathon on June bank holiday weekend, that's 5 weeks on from the 2 easy weeks. I was thinking I could jump back into the last 5 weeks of the grads plan I'm just completing, but at the faster paces from my last 10k (and hopefully backed up this weekend)? That said, I also have signed up to Terenure 5 mile and Inisbofin 10k in that period...

Following this, I'm thinking of entering the Tullamore HM at end of August, which is 12 weeks later. I wouldn't mind trying one of the HM plans from Faster Road Racing, mostly out of curiosity than anything. What are peoples experiences with this plan if they've ever tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I can't help you on the Faster Road Running question.

On the races you are doing and what week of what plan to jump back into....trust your judgement. You know you're looking at 2 sessions and a longish run each week. If you race then drop a session or the long run depending on the length of the race. Races are the fun part, if painful, so no point in missing out on them.

Following this, I'm thinking of entering the Tullamore HM at end of August, which is 12 weeks later. I wouldn't mind trying one of the HM plans from Faster Road Racing, mostly out of curiosity than anything. What are peoples experiences with this plan if they've ever tried it?

Hi

I've followed the lowest mileage half plan from FRR twice. I think my log started at some point during my second spin. I found MurphD's log helpful as he had followed it as well.

It, in hindsight, might have been a bit of a jump for me and I struggled with the VO2 Max sessions - more the second time I did it than the first, for some reason, but I got through the plan both times well enough and got some decent PBs - maybe 3 minutes the first time and slightly less the second. I also managed PBs at 10 and 5k in the tune-up races that form part of the plan.

Things I liked about the plan:

1. endurance runs were a lot of fun. I loved how strong I felt during them and they gave me confidence.
    2. Two tune-up races in the cycle - most went well and I got some cheeky PBs along the way, one or two didn't.
    3. The faster finish long runs (LT finish) - these were tough but great when they worked out. Nice to tie into a parkrun if you can manage it.
    4. For me, the plan was really tough around maybe weeks 3-6 but then it got easier after that. It was nice the second time around knowing there was some respite to come.
    5. I like "book" plans because you get a decent understanding of what you're trying to achieve in each session.
    6. One or two of the long runs exceed the half distance, which I really liked.

What I didn't like:

1. VO2 Max runs but that's more about the type of runner I am than the plan itself :o I should have reduced the reps to time based given my pace at the time.
    2. It's only 4 days at the start and then it's only 5. I say "only" because it means you're doing a lot of big days when my preference is to train for 6 days but at lower distances and still achieve the same weekly mileage total. There's an 18k run at some point midweek which was mildly torturous after a long day in the office.
    3. There's only one race-pace run and it's only 3k and it's at the end and it was really difficult both times, which dented my confidence. It was for this reason that I started to use Hanson plans.

All in all, I'd probably use the plan again. I felt stronger during my Hanson goal races but maybe a better all rounder after Pfitz. That may well be down to how I chose my goal times, though.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    On the races you are doing and what week of what plan to jump back into....trust your judgement. You know you're looking at 2 sessions and a longish run each week. If you race then drop a session or the long run depending on the length of the race. Races are the fun part, if painful, so no point in missing out on them.

Thanks S. Yes, a key thing I wanted this year was more races so maybe I should enjoy doing those in that period before settling into a full plan. I might be better off to just take those week by week, depending on the race if any, and how they go.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hi

I've followed the lowest mileage half plan from FRR twice. I think my log started at some point during my second spin. I found MurphD's log helpful as he had followed it as well.

It, in hindsight, might have been a bit of a jump for me and I struggled with the VO2 Max sessions - more the second time I did it than the first, for some reason, but I got through the plan both times well enough and got some decent PBs - maybe 3 minutes the first time and slightly less the second. I also managed PBs at 10 and 5k in the tune-up races that form part of the plan.

Things I liked about the plan:

1. endurance runs were a lot of fun. I loved how strong I felt during them and they gave me confidence.
    2. Two tune-up races in the cycle - most went well and I got some cheeky PBs along the way, one or two didn't.
    3. The faster finish long runs (LT finish) - these were tough but great when they worked out. Nice to tie into a parkrun if you can manage it.
    4. For me, the plan was really tough around maybe weeks 3-6 but then it got easier after that. It was nice the second time around knowing there was some respite to come.
    5. I like "book" plans because you get a decent understanding of what you're trying to achieve in each session.
    6. One or two of the long runs exceed the half distance, which I really liked.

What I didn't like:

1. VO2 Max runs but that's more about the type of runner I am than the plan itself :o I should have reduced the reps to time based given my pace at the time.
    2. It's only 4 days at the start and then it's only 5. I say "only" because it means you're doing a lot of big days when my preference is to train for 6 days but at lower distances and still achieve the same weekly mileage total. There's an 18k run at some point midweek which was mildly torturous after a long day in the office.
    3. There's only one race-pace run and it's only 3k and it's at the end and it was really difficult both times, which dented my confidence. It was for this reason that I started to use Hanson plans.

All in all, I'd probably use the plan again. I felt stronger during my Hanson goal races but maybe a better all rounder after Pfitz. That may well be down to how I chose my goal times, though.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with it! This is so helpful. I'll certainly go to your log to read again in more detail now. Definitely a boost that you did get some PBs from it. I have the same 'concern' about dropping back to 'only' 4 days, but I hadn't thought about the impact of the week overall. Although it would suit to have less running days when I go back to tag rugby.

I like your idea of tying the faster finish long runs in with a parkrun.. certainly food for thought.

Run well tomorrow V. Hopefully the race report will include a bit about being thrilled with a shiny new PB. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FRR and Hanson are as similar as they are different - both are based on the same general principles that most approaches have evolved towards: speed, tempo and long sessions, with easy/recovery runs making up the rest. The approach around pacing is very different - Hanson is long on specific race pace, Pfitzinger (as Huzzah! notes) has hardly any HMP at all. On balance, I personally favour Hanson, although I had broadly similar results with each plan, decent PBs knocking 3-4 mins off. I think Hanson makes you stronger, slightly, but that’s very subjective. The Pfitzinger plans have a bit more variety in the run variations, but theres not much in it.

Murph_D wrote:
    FRR and Hanson are as similar as they are different - both are based on the same general principles that most approaches have evolved towards: speed, tempo and long sessions, with easy/recovery runs making up the rest. The approach around pacing is very different - Hanson is long on specific race pace, Pfitzinger (as Huzzah! notes) has hardly any HMP at all. On balance, I personally favour Hanson, although I had broadly similar results with each plan, decent PBs knocking 3-4 mins off. I think Hanson makes you stronger, slightly, but that’s very subjective. The Pfitzinger plans have a bit more variety in the run variations, but theres not much in it.

Thanks for this. I'll admit I haven't ever examined any Hanson plans. Must put that on the to-do list, but sounds like FRR is a fairly positive experience itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck tomorrow V. You've probably decided this already, but if you're not in the National 10k, I recommend starting in the 35-45 min pen. You're more than capable of going sub-45. Tomorrow will prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow V. You've put together a really excellent block of training and I really hope you knock it out of the park tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow V. You've probably decided this already, but if you're not in the National 10k, I recommend starting in the 35-45 min pen. You're more than capable of going sub-45. Tomorrow will prove it.

Thanks! Am in National 10k so orange wave I think. Had to get it changed cos I'm apparently incapable of registering correctly ! Not sure about sub 45 but thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Best of luck tomorrow V. You've put together a really excellent block of training and I really hope you knock it out of the park tomorrow.

Thanks A! Hope the hamstring is feeling better

Mon 8th Apr
    5k runmute. Not really a recovery run as there was nothing to recover from at the weekend, but kept it around that pace, 10.37/m

Tues 9th Apr
    45 mins easy, 4.3 miles @ 10.18. Didn't want to do this as a runmute in case it tired me out or something! Had done yoga at lunch also.

Weds 10th Apr
    6 x 1 mins @ Vo2. Headed up to Marlay, 2 mile w/u and cool down. Vo2 pace should be about 7.15 ish and my split paces were: 7.12, 7.05, 7.19, 6.56, 6.46 and 7.03. As I said on Strava, my legs were feeling zippy.That's my only excuse here!

Thurs 11th
    Another 45 mins easy, 4.3 miles @ 10.31/m. Still feeling good!

Fri 12th
    Cancelled my after work yoga class as my elbow was annoying me again, plus was worried it would tire me. Plenty of walking though, including picking up the race number!

Sat 13th
    2 miles easy with some strides before parkrun volunteering. Big enough crowds in Marlay. The wind was making itself known however - bummer! Took it handy then the rest of the way and tried to control the snacking :)

Sun 13th - National 10k - the goal race
    I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the very noisy wind outside. Groaned, and went back to sleep. It was still as noisy when my alarm went off. Headed over to the Phoenix Park early enough full of rather nervous energy, and reminding myself that it was going to be hard, but I have trained for that and most importantly to not give up!
    I sat in my car awhile, until the need for the facilities grew too much and jogged up towards the start area. On the way back, I met my brother D (who runs for a rival Dublin club :) ) and jogged back again with him while he got his number and discussed how the wind was being a right pain in the you-know-where. He told me not to get isolated and even if it takes some effort getting to the next group, you can recover a little when settling in with them. Words I remembered later!

Eventually grabbed my stuff from the car, including changing into the Zoom Elites (I am actually in love with a runner, its official), and met up with my clubmates for some drills. I'd purposely gotten in a couple miles beforehand as I know that's not what happens in the club warm-up, but feel like it's what I need before a race. It was cold in the shorts already :)

Met the lovely Wubble Wubble then, was nice to chat to him and again, complain about the wind, before heading to dump my bag and take off the last layer. Oh the cold! Into the Orange Wave then with the rest and saw Rossi, who ran a great PB in the end, despite his disappointment! My clubmates now think I know everyone in the running scene :)

Mile 1
    I knew we'd have the wind on our backs heading out and that I'd have to be careful not to slip into a pace I could never maintain. My goal for the first mile was to keep around 7.30 pace. Almost the same strategy as Craughwell, but thinking that with the taper I'd have more in the 2nd half due to less fatigue. I'd already decided to ignore the wind - I'd trained in a lot of wind and gotten on with it, so I had to do the same today. Just after the start line, a poor lady was already on the ground. Terrifying with everyone flying past her, but there were people helping her. Mile 1 came in at 7.31 and honest to god, I congratulated myself :)

Mile 2
    I have no idea of the road names in Phoenix Park besides Chesterfield Avenue. I don't know where we were, but I do know I enjoyed the downhills here :) I just let the effort stay the same, or so I thought, and didn't 'brake' on the down bits. My intention was to keep pace around 7.25 from here. My lace opened just over a mile in. I made the decision to ignore it and try not to trip :o I think it was somewhere along here that another lady went splat just behind me. Again, there were spectators available to help here but I kept thinking about my open lace. Saw some clubmates then and others who told me my lace was open. This was to happen a lot throughout the race :rolleyes: Anyway, mile2 came in at 7.16. Oops, I thought to myself, but nothing I could do then only hope it didn't come back to haunt me!

MIle 3
    This was a thoroughly unenjoyable mile. Uphills, into the wind or rather kind of crosswind? There was a really open patch, perhaps called the Acres?, which was just horrible. All I could think was I hope no one on my right hand side spits because it will just fly right into my face. The things I think about. Nothing I could do only try keep the effort up and one leg in front of the other. The pace was dropped a lot on my watch but I had to ignore it. Mile 3: 7.44 and 5k hit in 23.19. This was quicker than Craughwell, but I felt like my pace was slowing instead of increasing.

Mile 4
    Then we turned into a more sheltered road, but possibly more uphill? And a little badly-surfaced road I don't think I've ever run on before. Or maybe that was the mile before, who knows. All I remember is I was consciously trying to get back to at least 7.30 pace. Along here I caught a clubmate again - we'd been a bit back and forth. He's new in the club, so had no idea of his name, but suggested we work together. Mile 4: 7.32

Mile 5
    Then we caught another clubmate, T, who I would never usually be near! (in fairness, afterwards he was telling ppl seeing me come up gave him the kick up the a*se he needed!) He joined our little group, and boy was I glad to have him! By this point we were running about 7.20 pace and I felt strong enough! Wind was kind of on our backs again which helped I suppose. Mile 5 clocked at 7.21.

Mile 6
    I knew I was still in PB territory. I was feeling good although tired. T told me I've trained hard and I have this. I agreed and then got all cheesy in my head (You ARE strong. You ARE able etc etc. CRINGE but hey, whatever works). I was willing to suffer now. Turned onto whatever road it was for the last kilometre-ish and BLOODY HELL that wind was back in our faces! I could have cried but refused to look at my watch and see what was left. Told myself this was just like a hard rep from the plan, it will be over soon. Mile 6: 7.09 (seriously, wtf)

The last little bit
    T took off shouting only 200m to go V, come on!!! I couldn't though, my little legs wuldn't move any quicker but I knew I was in with a shot of sub46 as I sneaked a look at my watch. Pace here 6.40 apparently.

Chip time: 45.57
    Watch had stopped at 46.06 and I assumed I was probably just over 46 and was truly happy with that. When my sister text my chip time through (stalker) I was realllllly happy.

A fair few PBs from the club, as well as some of the 2018 grads, which was just brilliant to see. I'm honestly over the moon with this time, and how the plan has gone. Took a while for me to brave a shower though, forgot the old vaseline on the thighs, ouchies.

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes beforehand, as well as the congratulating messages Strava, you're all so lovely. I think I'll do up a review of the grads plan experience in case anyone stumbles upon it in future and it may be useful.
    Right now, I am trying to persuade some friends to join me for a PB drink :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fantastic stuff, great running!!! As I said on WW’s log any PB ran in the Phoenix Park is well earned. Get those PB beers into ya!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant V. Glad you did your report so quickly after seeing Strava. Fair play to you. That was a great race.

• Advertisement

That's a brilliant shiny new PB! :D That was a really well run race. Really really delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well done V - especially on ignoring your laces :eek:

This has been a great training block for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Class. That's great racing and a great report too. Well done again, much deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super stuff, hard work paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, you were all over that one. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congratulations on a great race. The last mile and a bit was very impressive. It's great to see all the hard training paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great run, and great report. Really well done in the last mile, delighted for you. Yes, Acres was awful :D

Ah, V! Brilliant. Delighted all your hard work has paid off. You've demolished your 10k time. The report reads like you really backed yourself, which is also great to see. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done V! The pb's are coming in thick and fast!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Well done V, I felt your pain on Acres myself. Great to see you again

Advertisement