Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the PB ReeReeG! Lots of good reports and performances from this race to read this morning but this is the one that makes me want to do a 10k! Great account of the mental ups and downs you go through trying to get the best of what you have. Kudos for the controlled start and fast finish too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant race, result & report! Great reading that. You raced so well, i just love that you didn't back off the pace/effort at all. Really well done, delighted for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Enjoyed that race report, well done and congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great race report and well done again on the PB- its great to see your hard work pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant, massive congratulations. I haven't even seen your run so didn't know you were there. That's great going. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

OOnegative wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff, great running!!! As I said on WW’s log any PB ran in the Phoenix Park is well earned. Get those PB beers into ya!!

Thank you, the beers were enjoyed :)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Brilliant V. Glad you did your report so quickly after seeing Strava. Fair play to you. That was a great race.

Thanks K! Haha yeah needed to get it down before the few thoughts I had disappeared. Don't know how some people register so much in a race, let alone remember it later.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's a brilliant shiny new PB! :D That was a really well run race. Really really delighted for you.

Thanks S! It is indeed a shiny new PB, very happy with it :)

juke wrote: »
    Well done V - especially on ignoring your laces :eek:

This has been a great training block for you.

Thank you J! I was terrified of losing momentum. The funny thing is as I was tying them beforehand I honestly had the thought "I hope I'm tying these tightly enough"... I've never had laces open in a race before?! The self-sabotage is real eh :P

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Class. That's great racing and a great report too. Well done again, much deserved!

Thank you A! There was a lot of relief at the finish line :o

Wottle wrote: »
    Super stuff, hard work paying off.

Thanks D, I was feeling strong!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, you were all over that one. Well done!

Thank you :) there were moments where I wasn't but thankfully it all worked out

tbukela wrote: »
    Congratulations on a great race. The last mile and a bit was very impressive. It's great to see all the hard training paying off.

Thanks! I still don't know where that last mile came from :confused:

Singer wrote: »
    Great run, and great report. Really well done in the last mile, delighted for you. Yes, Acres was awful :D

Thanks, and well done you on your excellent PB!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ah, V! Brilliant. Delighted all your hard work has paid off. You've demolished your 10k time. The report reads like you really backed yourself, which is also great to see. Congrats!

Thanks E. Yeah, I actually did back myself. The plan is really good in that respect, especially the CV sessions I think.

coogy wrote: »
    Well done V! The pb's are coming in thick and fast!!

Thanks K! I'd say that might be the end of them for me for a while now :D

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Well done V, I felt your pain on Acres myself. Great to see you again

Thanks R, and well done again to you! Your 10k time is going to tumble even more soon I reckon.

Well done on the PB ReeReeG! Lots of good reports and performances from this race to read this morning but this is the one that makes me want to do a 10k! Great account of the mental ups and downs you go through trying to get the best of what you have. Kudos for the controlled start and fast finish too

Ah jeez that's very flattering!! thanks :) you're putting in serious training yourself, can't wait to see how it goes for you!

ariana` wrote: »
    Brilliant race, result & report! Great reading that. You raced so well, i just love that you didn't back off the pace/effort at all. Really well done, delighted for you.

Thanks E, believe me I wanted to back off plenty of times :pac:

aloooof wrote: »
    Enjoyed that race report, well done and congrats on the PB!

Thanks D!

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Great race report and well done again on the PB- its great to see your hard work pay off!

Thanks F! Hope the taper madness isn't hitting you too much yet :pac:

aquinn wrote: »
    Brilliant, massive congratulations. I haven't even seen your run so didn't know you were there. That's great going. Well done.

Thanks A! I was gonna say I'd have watched out for you if I'd known you were there but I'm not sure I'd recognise you! I always look like such a weirdo at races staring at people I think could be from on here / Strava :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Phenomenal!!!! I knew you'd go well, but just wow! Haven't been online for a few days so I'm very late catching up but I'm so, so impressed with this. You were strong throughout (on a day when that can't have been easy) and that last mile is unreal! Hope you celebrated well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done V. A great race report to read. Your positive attitude and belief in yourself shines through the report. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

fantastic running and a great report too. Congrats on the PB.
    What's next for you now?

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    fantastic running and a great report too. Congrats on the PB.
    What's next for you now?

Thanks! The plan is some (mostly) easy running for a couple weeks; I'm bridesmaid for my bestie next week so there are jobs to be done :D

Have signed up for 3 races between May and June bank hols, will play them by ear whether to have fun or race them. Still tempted to try a 800m at a Graded Meet too, even with the knowledge that I'll come last :p
    And then into a HM plan for Tullamore in August, have plans for a few races in the lead-up to that too.

Mon 15th Apr
    Easy recovery miles after the National 10k the day before. 5k @ 10.56/m. All felt good.

Tues 16th
    More easy running, 6 miles @ 10.18/m. Yoga at lunchtime.

Thurs 18th
    And yet more, although quicker, 6 miles @ 10.05/m. Wasn't paying much attention to the watch, just keeping the effort down and that's the pace that happened.

Sat 20th
    Couple of easy miles before parkrun, and then decided to give parkrun a good lash. Didn't work out at all! First mile 7.07 but I started to wheeze, which never happens. I did read the pollen count was high at the weekend so perhaps it was that. I do get a touch of hayfever in summer usually. Hung on as well as I could without letting the breathing get too loud (I was getting looks from the guy in front), and finished in 23.30 or so. They were handing out free Easter Eggs at the finish, what's not to like :D

No long run on Sunday, instead a trip to the sunny south east for my niece's christening and a really lovely family day :)

Total for the week: 20.3 (really taking this recovery thing seriously :p)

Mon 22nd Apr
    Headed out to do the Edenderry 10 mile route with my sister. She's signed up for the race in July, and it will be her first race beyond 10k. Scorcher of a morning and we had no water with us, but no harm done as we kept it good and easy. 10 miles @ 10.22/m.

Tues 23rd
    Easy 4 miles, 10.26/m. Was going to do an hour, but my foot had been sore after yesterday's long run - the sole on the outside. Didn't want to push it today, but weirdly it seems cured since this morning's run!? Fingers crossed no more soreness on it.

My updates are all out of routine, just like my running :)

Weds 24th
    Another easy 4 miles. Didn't really pay attention to the watch so it ended up as a bit of a progression run. Avg pace 10.25/m.

Thurs 25th
    Was down in Offaly again and headed out around home for an hour or so. 6.2 miles @ 9.55/m avg. Did a faster last mile for the fun of it.

Fri 26th
    Sneaked in one last run before fully getting into maid of honour duties for the weekend. Met a friend at the local parkrun course for the run and chats. She's joining the local athletics team and will 100% be quicker than me over 5k by the end of summer :rolleyes

Sat/Sun: no running but plenty of dancing :D

Mon 29th
    Back up to Dublin and headed out for a run soon after. Wasn't sure if I'd manage a long run, but really enjoyed getting out for this even if I did miss the road I wanted to turn and got temporarily lost :D 8.5 miles@9.45/m avg. A tad fast, but in this no-plan phase I'm not being a stickler (without being totally reckless).

Tues 30th
    No run. I had intended to but it was also G's anniversary and I found myself not wanting to head out. It's allowed.

I registered for IMRA last night and am going to try out my first race tonight. So listen out for reports of a woman lost in Wicklow :p (maybe I shouldn't joke about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

ReeReeG wrote: »

I registered for IMRA last night and am going to try out my first race tonight. So listen out for reports of a woman lost in Wicklow :p (maybe I shouldn't joke about that)

Enjoy the trail run this evening, they're great run, tough but fun.

I hope you were ok yesterday with the Anniversary. Mind yourself.

Good for you for trying the IMRA, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tonight. I’m sure yesterday was hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Hope tonight goes well.... please don't get lost!!!!!!

Forgot to add yesterday that I had 112 miles for April. Happy enough with that.

IMRA Downshill race

I was between doing this or the 800m Graded Meet, but asked for a vote from the 2018 novices and the IMRA won out :) It was probably a good thing as a weekend of food and drink would hardly have helped any pace on a track last night. Plus, I finally got to use my trail shoes I bought last year.

Firstly, I was so impressed with the organisation and setup of this event. Volunteers advising where to park, quick number collection (as it was my first event) and registration, and then a very prompt start time!

I ended up running with a clubmate for the whole thing, and he had told me that very quickly we'd be walking anyway as it narrows and we got stuck behind people. In fairness, I walked a lot of the uphill although I did keep trying to jog up it, fairly gets the heart rate up though. The views were incredible!!!! At one point, I glanced to my right and saw mountains and sea and just thought how lucky I am to be alive and able to do this kind of thing :)

And as for the downhills!!! They were mostly through forest with no real path and I felt like a child tearing down it :) I did say to my clubmate that it felt like we were in a movie being chased by bad guys :p It was so much fun!!! Even if slightly terrifying at times as it was a bit dark in the forest and hard to see where your foot should land.
    It was nice to run a race that didn't have me looking at my pace or thinking about PBs, and just getting on with it as best I could.

Back to the pub which they used as a base, and there was free food. What more could you want for 7 euro on a Wednesday night.
    I hope I'll get to do another one, but I've stuff on the next few Wednesdays and then soon after will be back at tag. Fingers crossed I'll manage to get another one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

The run last night sounds like it was a lot of fun V. It's good to shake things up and try something different. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Forgot to add yesterday that I had 112 miles for April. Happy enough with that.

IMRA Downshill race

I was between doing this or the 800m Graded Meet, but asked for a vote from the 2018 novices and the IMRA won out :) It was probably a good thing as a weekend of food and drink would hardly have helped any pace on a track last night. Plus, I finally got to use my trail shoes I bought last year.

Firstly, I was so impressed with the organisation and setup of this event. Volunteers advising where to park, quick number collection (as it was my first event) and registration, and then a very prompt start time!

I ended up running with a clubmate for the whole thing, and he had told me that very quickly we'd be walking anyway as it narrows and we got stuck behind people. In fairness, I walked a lot of the uphill although I did keep trying to jog up it, fairly gets the heart rate up though. The views were incredible!!!! At one point, I glanced to my right and saw mountains and sea and just thought how lucky I am to be alive and able to do this kind of thing :)

And as for the downhills!!! They were mostly through forest with no real path and I felt like a child tearing down it :) I did say to my clubmate that it felt like we were in a movie being chased by bad guys :p It was so much fun!!! Even if slightly terrifying at times as it was a bit dark in the forest and hard to see where your foot should land.
    It was nice to run a race that didn't have me looking at my pace or thinking about PBs, and just getting on with it as best I could.

Back to the pub which they used as a base, and there was free food. What more could you want for 7 euro on a Wednesday night.
    I hope I'll get to do another one, but I've stuff on the next few Wednesdays and then soon after will be back at tag. Fingers crossed I'll manage to get another one in.

Sounds like a fantastic event V!

A great reminder of just how much fun running can be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sounds absolutely brilliant V and extremely therapeutic after what was i'm sure a difficult few days for you. Well done for embracing something new, that's not always easy, no doubt it will stand to you in loads of different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fun, running, mountains, sea views & free food - all for €7 - sounds like a win win. Well done, hope it helped with the emotions of the week that's in it.

This sounds brilliant! I've been keen to try one of these for ages and you're definitely selling it. Are the legs sore today after all the downhills?

ariana` wrote: »
    Sounds absolutely brilliant V and extremely therapeutic after what was i'm sure a difficult few days for you. Well done for embracing something new, that's not always easy, no doubt it will stand to you in loads of different ways.

I actually commented last night that it was like free therapy!

eyrie wrote: »
    This sounds brilliant! I've been keen to try one of these for ages and you're definitely selling it. Are the legs sore today after all the downhills?

Not gonna lie C, ma butt hurts today! :eek: and I'm rather stiff getting out of my chair :D but it was worth it!

Not gonna lie C, ma butt hurts today! :eek: and I'm rather stiff getting out of my chair :D but it was worth it!
    :D:D

Ah sure that's always a satisfying feeling anyway, almost adds to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That sounds brilliant. Free Therapy sounds brilliant - or €7 therapy!

Thurs 2nd
    Easy hour run home. I found it very humid and probably hadn't drank enough water that day which never helps. 5.7m @ 10.24/m

Fri 3rd
    Up early for 4 easy miles before, 10.22/m. Off to the airport that evening and let's just say you can go nowhere without running into someone from on here :p

Sat 4th
    Was over in London for the long weekend visiting a friend. Last week she had said "I suppose you'll want to do a parkrun" when trying to arrange brunch plans and I said of course I do! Jogged 1.5 miles over to one I hadn't done there before, Southwark. 3.5 laps and some of each lap was on grass while there are pathworks going on. Nice parkrun, but gets a bit mad with all the lapping that happens, although I was very pleased to not get lapped myself :) I'd turned my watch to clock as I just wanted to run and not be worrying about pace etc, so I was pleasantly surprised by my time of 23.25 when I finished. I hadn't felt like I had pushed hard enough for that, was expecting maybe a minute slower. Plus there had been drinks the night before. Jogged back to my mate's house then to finish a lovely morning's running.

No run on Sunday so the week's mileage was 30.6

Hoping to get back into something of a normal routine now. I have Terenure 5 Mile next weekend. Probably going to give it a lash but I don't know if I'll manage a PB. I ran 37.38 in Raheny in Jan 2018 and looking back, I have no idea where I pulled that from! Anyway, the plan for the week up to that is mainly easy miles plus that 6x1 min Vo2 session Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Fri 3rd
    Up early for 4 easy miles before, 10.22/m. Off to the airport that evening and let's just say you can go nowhere without running into someone from on here :p.

Ah you meet the best of people in the airport! :D

Morning!

Doing Terenure, just asking for a friend like and someone to try to cling too as think the 35 pacers are out of my limit follow around.

Target if so? :D

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning!

Doing Terenure, just asking for a friend like and someone to try to cling too as think the 35 pacers are out of my limit follow around.

Target if so? :D

Hahaha I have the same issue with the pacers! The calculators tell me I "should" be going for 36.30ish. Care to join me in that attempt? My plan is a conservative starting mile (about 37ish pace) and pick it up from the 2nd mile... Of course, you might be aiming for quicker, I'm not sure??

Advertisement