Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

1st mile is fairly quick into Terenure Village, 2nf mile is fairly flat too. 3rd mile is a bit of a drag but then the 4th mile is back down into Terenure Village

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Rossi7 wrote:
    1st mile is fairly quick into Terenure Village, 2nf mile is fairly flat too. 3rd mile is a bit of a drag but then the 4th mile is back down into Terenure Village

Yeah, I remember the 1st mile being quick (and therefore easy to be my undoing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hahaha I have the same issue with the pacers! The calculators tell me I "should" be going for 36.30ish. Care to join me in that attempt? My plan is a conservative starting mile (about 37ish pace) and pick it up from the 2nd mile... Of course, you might be aiming for quicker, I'm not sure??

Yay, even if I do think all of that is outside my limit at the minute.

Sounds like a plan.

My failed attempt at sub 21 recently left me with now a predicted 37:24, which is slower than Raheny this year.

From MSB time it has me at 36:51, hmmn.

I may completely fall apart but can only try.

How do I find you now. I'll be sporting the Cru singlet.

aquinn wrote:
    How do I find you now. I'll be sporting the Cru singlet.

Well I've done nothing but eat and drink the last couple of weeks so I'm not sure I can manage it but will try.

I'll be in a DSD singlet but there are about 40 of us entered so that may not be helpful :) usually plait my ponytail though!

Well I've done nothing but eat and drink the last couple of weeks so I'm not sure I can manage it but will try.

I'll be in a DSD singlet but there are about 40 of us entered so that may not be helpful :) usually plait my ponytail though!

Great, will look for the plait. Skyblue knows us both so if he's about that'll help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

aquinn wrote: »
    Great, will look for the plait. Skyblue knows us both so if he's about that'll help.

I'll be about alright. I will try to find you and P for a warmup lap if ye fancy it? Maybe meeting up at the doors of the school at 10.15 might be a plan....

Rossi7 wrote:

Yeah, I remember the 1st mile being quick (and therefore easy to be my undoing!)
    You've to lead by example now V :angel:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll be about alright. I will try to find you and P for a warmup lap if ye fancy it? Maybe meeting up at the doors of the school at 10.15 might be a plan....

Sadly I'm not around this weekend, rugby supporting commitments in Newcastle take precedence. I've not run Terenure but really want to. The same thing happened last year as well.

Sadly I'm not around this weekend, rugby supporting commitments in Newcastle take precedence. I've not run Terenure but really want to. The same thing happened last year as well.

Ah you're going over. Enjoy, it should be a smashing game.

I know ppl getting the boat back in time for the race...where's the commitment?! :p

• Advertisement

I know ppl getting the boat back in time for the race...where's the commitment?! :p

Will you be around the registration area anytime close to 10/10.15 so I can bring you two young ladies together?

skyblue46 wrote:
    Will you be around the registration area anytime close to 10/10.15 so I can bring you two young ladies together?

Yeah I'll be over in good time, will be at the reg area by 10

Sob.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be over in good time, will be at the reg area by 10

That would be super. Thanks. I'm giving Anna a lift so will round her up and bully her Southside early so.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Despite the title of my log, I know that racing while drunk is a bad idea and likely to lead to me injuring myself and possibly others. It wouldn't do to be breaking myself and missing out on Dublin at the end of October before I've even starting my training. :)

Mon 6th
    Rest after traveling back from London.

Tues 7th
    Easy hour up in Marlay. 6.2m @ 10.05/m. A little on the fast side.

Weds 8th
    The very-common-this-week 6*1 mins @V02. Assumed I wouldn't be able to hit this at the new paces from the 10k a few weeks ago, but actually I overcooked the last 5! Eeeps. 6 miles total for the evening.

Thurs 9th
    After watching the rain lash down while at work, the day had turned to sunshine when I headed out for an easy hour. Beautiful evening. 6 miles @ 10.10/m.

Fri 10th
    Nothing, collected Terenure numbers and headed down to Offaly.

Sat 11th
    Walked Darkness into Light with my father, then back to bed for a couple of hours before parkrun with my sister. Mile warm-up and parkrun @ 8.50/m. Not really easy but we were able to chat all the way around. And I also couldn't resist sprinting against her on the last bit. I classified this as strides in my head :o

Sun 12th
    Terenure 5 Mile

Headed over early enough on my bike to meet aquinn (via skyblue) and greet my clubmates and others. I don't know if I've ever attended a race where I happened to know / recognise so many people. Did a 2 mil warm-up with aquinn and had lovely chats, including the planned race strategy... oh how that did not happen :(
    The goal was sub 37, but a slightly conservative start...

Mile 1: We lined up between the 35 and 40 minute pacers, and tried to keep the first mile to 7.30. Really, we did try. The first mile has got that fast feeling though and even watching the pace, it was hard not to keep slipping into a faster pace. 7.21 for this one.

Mile 2: This mile started soon after the sharp turn, and it was here that I lost aquinn :( I felt bad, but I hadn't actually picked up the pace as planned, was barely maintaining it in fact, so I told myself it wasn't as if I sprinted away from her :o I thought my watch would never beep for mile 2 now. We were running facing into the sun and it was killing me already. 7.30 here.

Mile 3: I kept telling myself to just get to halfway. There's something I've noticed where if I give up before halfway at all, I'm done for. But if I can get to halfway at decent effort, I can usually get myself home ok. I don't know how trustworthy this method will prove, but for now I'm sticking with it! I had slowed quite a bit here however. 7.42.

Mile 4: Just two miles to go I told myself, and did pick it up a bit for this one. I wasn't feeling in any way comfortable, but we had some shade and the sun on our backs for a lot of this mile, so I just went with it. 7.33.

Mile 5: I compared how I was feeling for this last mile compared to the last mile in the GIR and it was laughable how bad I felt. I tried a couple of times to force the legs to lift a bit more but it was short-lived both times. I was wrecked.7.39 for the last mile and 37.46 chip-time.

I just checked my Raheny 2018 result, it was 37.40 (I thought that was 2 secs better). I am a bit disappointed, but it's shown me how much the regular speed work in a plan does for you! And I've had a very crap diet this past few weeks, more alcohol than I usually would too. But the sun and the HEAT. Ugh. I got sunburnt on my shoulders and forehead too.

I am glad I didn't give up though. I wanted to several times, and I think I would have last year, but I managed to keep some effort up which I will take as a positive. I love the event (2nd time doing, so actually a course PB of about 9 minutes :pac:) although I seemed to remember nicer cakes before! Was great to see so many from DSD win prizes, we have some really strong ladies runners which is fantastic. I loved seeing so many people from on here too, its a great little community.

This week work is a bit mad so I'll be trying to get in early morning runs I think. I have the Inisbofin 10k on Saturday. Very tempted to just pace my friend who is doing her first 10k, but I'll decide closer to the time..

Well done V, similar experience myself yesterday. You stuck it out that's the main thing. It will stand to you on another day when everything goes right. 
     I'm blaming Darkness into Light and only 3 hours sleep Friday night :)

Morning!

Nothing to feel bad about V, I told you to go on and you were right to do so. Mile two just completely took all energy from my legs. I knew I couldn't maintain a pace.

Well done. Now I can just copy, paste and edit your report. Deadly. Much appreciated :D

I was much slower than Raheny I think, over a minute anyway. Shocking but sure I was just delighted to finish as really saw myself stepping off the race numerous times.

aquinn wrote:
    Well done. Now I can just copy, paste and edit your report. Deadly. Much appreciated

Haha work away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Mile two just completely took all energy from my legs. I knew I couldn't maintain a pace.

And I can just copy and paste this for mine :D

Well done again V, seeing it written out like that with your splits is really impressive to be honest. It was a brutal day for nearly everyone I talked to but you managed to keep it really solid. Also a few seconds behind your Raheny time is arguably a better run - Terenure is definitely a tougher course and then there's the heat on top of that.

If the weather keeps up like this it'll be an amazing weekend to be in Inisbofin

eyrie wrote: »

If the weather keeps up like this it'll be an amazing weekend to be in Inisbofin

Yes, another sweatfest of a race :o
    The race entry includes a barbecue so I'm looking forward to that more if I'm honest.

Was lovely to see you again yesterday, sorry the day didn't go so well. Hope the 2nd run helped somewhat..

• Advertisement

Yes, another sweatfest of a race :o
    The race entry includes a barbecue so I'm looking forward to that more if I'm honest.
    I was dreaming of a barbecue after yesterday's, so that sounds amazing.
    Was lovely to see you again yesterday
    Likewise! We'll have to coordinate another one soon. Though I've just realised the next two I had planned won't work at all for me - Bob Heffernan is next week (too soon after the horrors of yesterday :o) and I'm away for Dunshaughlin...

Likewise! We'll have to coordinate another one soon. Though I've just realised the next two I had planned won't work at all for me - Bob Heffernan is next week (too soon after the horrors of yesterday :o) and I'm away for Dunshaughlin...

Cough!

https://bhaa.ie/events/gov-services-5m-dunboyne-may-28th-2019/

Posting the correct link of course helps.

Cough!

https://bhaa.ie/events/gov-services-5m-dunboyne-may-28th-2019/

Posting the correct link of course helps.
    I never want to do another 5 mile!! But... if people are doing it... You might be tempting me! :P

Too soon? You know what they say about getting back up on the horse after a fall....;)

eyrie wrote:
    I never want to do another 5 mile!! But... if people are doing it... You might be tempting me!

I'd be tempted by this only I have the mini marathon on the Sunday later that week...

I'd be tempted by this only I have the mini marathon on the Sunday later that week...
    Oh I forgot I was considering that too, hmmm... Maybe doing the two and no sessions or anything wouldn't be bad!?
    Ha, I've just gone from swearing off races for a while to considering two in one week. Thanks Boards! :D

eyrie wrote:
    Oh I forgot I was considering that too, hmmm... Maybe doing the two and no sessions or anything wouldn't be bad!? Ha, I've just gone from swearing off races for a while to considering two in one week. Thanks Boards!

Haha I was already considering the IMRA that week too let's be honest! Signing up for races is the fun part...doing them, not so much

Signing up for races is the fun part...doing them, not so much
    Truth!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one there. :) Enjoy Inishbofin, really must get back there. Lovely part of the world. Good work on the mentoring job too. Hope they treat you well.

• Advertisement

Have fun in Inishbofin! Good luck tomorrow!

Advertisement