Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck V! Pacing or racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a great time in Inisbofin, V!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Best of luck V! Pacing or racing?

Still undecided! Will see how the weather is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have a ball V....it sounds like an amazing run or race whichever you decide to do.m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Run/race well and enjoy V. Should be lovely out there if the weather we've had all week holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Enjoy the race tomorrow, the scenery looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Enjoy the pacing/running/racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Have fun at the BBQ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have a great time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Enjoy it V!!!! :)

Mon 13th
    4 miles @ 10.27/m in beautiful sunshine. Calves were feeling tight enough after Terenure, and I stopped to stretch them against a pole about a mile in.

Tues 14th
    An hour-ish easy before work. The calves were tight again so I headed uphill to the Goat to stretch them out. 5.5 miles @ 10.18/m.

Weds 15th
    Up again for a run before work but this time attempting a CV session. I was using my newer paces from GIR so I didn't fancy doing 4 or 5 mins at that pace, and said I'd do the 7x3 mins session from one of the weeks on the grads plan. Lord. It was rough. In fairness, I was going too fast for some of them so in the end only did 5. My own fault really. Pace should have been 7.15 - 7.25, and my splits were: 7.13, 7.16, 7.12, 7.07 and 7.29. Did a longer cool down to make up the hour running planned.

Thurs 16th
    Rest day, and was travelling to Offaly to break the journey west for myself. Seeing as I was going to be home for the night, I'd booked my friend who is a physio for a rub on the old calves. She gave out to me for not using my foam roller enough on them.. or on my hamstrings... or on my quads... or for not doing my exercises for my tennis elbow...:o we had good chats otherwise though :p

Fri 17th
    Handy few miles around home before heading to Inishbofin. 4 miles @ 10.11/m.
    A few drinks were had on the island when we arrived but we managed to restrain ourselves for the most part...did some nice walking about the place too.

Sat 18th
    Inishbofin 10k
    First off, what a beautiful island. I absolutely fell head over heels for the place within minutes of arriving on Friday. It was a privilege to run in such a gorgeous place, honestly.

I'd eventually decided to just run my own race and see how it went, but my intention was to start off gentle enough. I knew it was definitely hilly from the walks on Friday.
    HOWEVER there was a woman on the start line with a dog off lead which kept running about the place and under people's legs, so when we were set off, my only option was to run quite fast away from the dog and its owner who couldn't have been bothered keeping her dog close. So annoying.
    Anyway, into the first turn which brought us up our first lonnnng hill, there were 2 ladies a bit in front of me and a few lads well up ahead. I settled into a sensible pace for the hill and when I caught up with the 2 women, I hung behind them for a bit before realising I was definitely able to pass them and up the pace for the remainder of the hill. I was reasonably sure I was now the first woman. Hit Mile 1 at the top of this hill in 8.09.

I decided my tactic would be to run the uphills at a very kind-to-myself pace, and hit the flats and downhills hard. Hence why Mile 2, which was mostly downhill, was then 7.26 :D For most of this mile, one of the half marathoners was behind me and I was constantly expecting him to catch me. I was also expecting Wubble Wubble to catch me at some point on his 3rd lap of the HM :)

The start of Mile 3 was along road in front of a lovely beach and some really cute cottages. For once I was actually noticing my surroundings! Unfortunately this mile was also one long uphill, with one awful section going to be repeated in the second shorter lap :o . The HMer caught me along here. Clocked this at 8.04, and was through 5k in about 24.40 I think. I was happy to get to halfway as usual and felt pretty good leading into the second half.

Mile 4 brought us back around to the pier and the start line. I was passing some of the half marathoners now too. It was pretty hot actually, I should definitely mention that hardship too :p Did this in 7.56 before heading into the long starting hill again.

This was not the most pleasant mile. I was very hot and feeling the hills by now, and my easy pace up the hills had slowed a lot more! I was just dying to get to the turnoff for home by now. 8.57 for this mile :o

Finally took some water at the start of the 6th mile (there were plenty of water stations, I just wouldn't usually use them in a 10k), gulped a little and poured the rest over my head. Instantly felt better and told myself to finish this race in a way I'd be happy with. I knew there was a good chunk of downhill once we got past some horrible uphill and I made the most of it. Mile 6 was 7.23 :D

The finish was a bit cruel, being uphill to the community centre! Got myself up it anyway despite the best efforts of a man on a bike cutting across in front of me just before the finish line :rolleyes: finish time: 49.29

As it wasn't chip timed, they were noting numbers only and the clock time, so actually no one was sure if I was the 1st or 2nd woman right afterwards. BUT I found out for sure at the BBQ later that evening that I was indeed the 1st woman!! I was thrilled if I'm honest.
    I know it was only a small race and if that was a race in Dublin or any big town, I wouldn't have a hope of winning anything. But I was pleased with my effort levels and how I ran it. So I will enjoy this feeling :pac: And possibly bring the plaque to work to put on my desk :P

My friend ran a great 10k also, and we're already planning our return next year :)

Was great to have the running chats with WW after the race and at the bbq, he ran a great HM on a course that included those dreadful hills FOUR TIMES.

I'd definitely recommend it as an event which doubles as a lovely weekend away. Very well organised, and one of the friendliest crowds I've ever come across, as well as being in aid of a lovely and worthwhile cause.

Sun 19th
    Back to Dublin after a stop off for Mammy-dinner and a nap, and was dying to stretch the legs. 6m @ 10.08.

33 miles for the week. Happy out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Physios do that.
    Congrats on your time and place. :D
    Neady of this parish of will be happy with another 'if in doubt go west/west is best' conversion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Really well done on the run and the win! You sell the event well. I might look at fitting it in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Congrats on your win V. Great race report. Sounds like a lovely if hilly place to run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

^ What S said, you've got me keen to try it now! Great reason for a weekend away somewhere nice.
    Congratulations again on the win! You're damn right to enjoy it :P You'll have to give us a commentary of your office conversations this week when people pass your desk and spot the bling :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! Great to get a podium position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats again! A podium finish is something to savour :)

Shall I book the bus for us all next year? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super V, a great run and well deserved podium! Well done you!

eyrie wrote:
    You'll have to give us a commentary of your office conversations this week when people pass your desk and spot the bling

"What time did you do, 29 mins or so?"

One colleague thinks I'm Olympic standard now obviously!
    Huzzah! wrote:
    Shall I book the bus for us all next year?

Maybe I should organise a chartered trip!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic! Great to get a podium position!

Ah come on, a podium position.. she won it! :D

Well done ReeReeG, more smilies than a box of smarties :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    "What time did you do, 29 mins or so?"

One colleague thinks I'm Olympic standard now obviously!
    Well, you start showing up to the office with trophies after the weekend and it's a slippery slope you know ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Maybe I should organise a chartered trip!!

You're gonna need a bigger boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Huge well done on the win, and 4th place overall I believe, great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

33 miles for the week. Happy out.

And so you should be! Well done V!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congratulations on the win, great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Wow, I knew you had a podium finish but didn’t realise you won the race. Brilliant running, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That is brilliant. First place - woohoo! Must be such a nice feeling. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Amazing, First Female. That is absolutely fantastic, delighted for you. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats on the win! Super run.

Advertisement