Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thanks everyone for the very very kind words. I've been a little embarrassed by it all, but it was also a great ego boost :)

Mon 20th
    After months of being promised a new office, we finally moved so I had a new runmute route to try out. The most direct route is now 3.4 miles. Twas grand. 10.24/m. However, one day of the new office and therefore aircon meant I had a sore throat by that evening. :o

Tues 21st
    Headed up to club training. 5 easy miles and excellent chats. 10.17/m. Sorer throat.

Weds 22nd
    Was heading to see the legend Mariah Carey in the 3 arena so headed over to Sean O'Moore park after work for some speedwork. Had planned to do a CV session again, but I had the sniffles by now so tried out a workout I saw in a thread Testoserscone had written years ago in an old alias. It's an interesting read with some different workouts listed in. Anyway, this one with the diagonals on the pitch seemed easy to follow and no need to set up a watch even, so I tried it out. Managed 12 mins of it. Was wrecked by the end but did a longer cool down to get a full hour done.
    "Singing" along with Mariah was not good for the throat :(

Thurs 23rd
    Planned rest day as was attending another gig.

Fri 24th
    Unplanned rest day - full blown head cold, felt rotten.

Took Sat and Sun off then too. I'm trying to be sensible as although I'm running the mini-marathon next Sunday, I don't care too much about it but I do want to be feeling good starting the HM plan afterwards. Volunteered at parkrun yesterday instead and did the number collection for mini marathon this afternoon in town.

A pitiful 14.7 miles for the week but it happens. Pride before fall eh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm not sure what your plan is for the WMM, V, but enjoy it and good luck :)

Huzzah! wrote:
    I'm sure what your plan is for the WMM, V, but enjoy it and good luck

Thanks E. Given the sinus issues I'll just be aiming to enjoy it! My sisters-in-law do it every year so chance for a little meetup with family etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Thanks E. Given the sinus issues I'll just be aiming to enjoy it! My sisters-in-law do it every year so chance for a little meetup with family etc :)

*not sure is what I meant :o That sounds like fun. Hope the sinuses feel better soon.

May 27th - June 2nd

Still was feeling bad in work on Monday, and then got soaked heading home from work and only felt like heading straight to bed. Stupidly headed into work Tuesday still but pretty much everyone told me to go home so I did, and stayed out sick on Weds. The cold was gone by Thursday but I was very blocked up still.. I won't go into details but fairly sure just lovely sinus issues now! Anyway, that was a full week with no running. I'd usually run through a head cold but just wasn't able for it this time.

Thurs 30th
    Headed up to Marlay to see how a run would go. Intended on 3 or 4 miles, but I was enjoying it so much I did 5. Avg pace 10.06/m. Legs felt fairly stiff.

Finished May with 119 miles.

Sat 1st June
    Went to parkrun not really sure what way I'd run it, after being sick and a day before a race which wasn't a goal race. It turned out not to matter as I appear to be worse in the morning time and really struggled to breathe during this, especially if I tried anything resembling pace. 4 miles for the morning including warm-up.

Sun 2nd June
    Women's Mini Marathon.

I ran this once before, 2012 I think, well before I joined a club and possibly did a whole 6 training runs in the lead up :). Finished about 1.08 that day so I was confident I'd get an event PB regardless of my health :p

In the start area, I got chatting to club mates and said I'd head out with them at 7.30 pace and see how I feel. There was a lot of waiting around at the start. They get you into the start areas well in advance of the start, but at least it was sunny and the atmosphere was great.

Eventually we set off and plenty tore off at serious speed as usual, so I tried to hold myself back to the planned pace. I was thirsty within 2 minutes which never happens, and I was immediately thinking I am not hydrated enough for this! Plenty of support everywhere around the first mile as you head out through Donnybrook, and mile 1 was on the target at 7.27. However, I was feeling rubbish and knew I didn't have the energy to maintain anything close to that pace for even 1 more mile and decided to drop back from my clubmates and enjoy the rest of the race. And so ends any mile-by-mile blow :)
    The heat was high, and I had to take water at every station to make sure I wouldn't faint or anything. One thing I will say about the course is its mostly flat! A few drags near UCD but nothing too bad. I enjoyed being able to cheer on people on the N11 after they'd switched back; the leaders were cruising.
    Started feeling a little weak after we got through Nutley Lane so I slowed even more. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it all a bit easier but no harm done I think. Jogged to the finish in 52 something.

No disappointment for me today as it wasn't a goal race and I know I haven't been running, or feeling well. I think the fact I've raced so much lately helps with that; I know how it feels when something is hard and I need to get on with it, but this was different. It felt hard but because I didn't feel well! Although the lack of energy was not helped by me somehow forgetting to have a dinner yesterday?! Not normal for me!

My sisters-in-law were running too, so had a lovely meet-up before and after with them and my brothers and (hyper) nieces :D I'll be back next year I reckon!

Another low mileage week of 15.3 miles.

The plan is to start the HM plan from Faster Road Racing this week. That gives me an extra week to Tullamore, which allows me some relief on my week holiday at the end of June. I'll just do that week twice. I'll be kind to myself for any "pacy" stuff in the plan this week while I'm still getting better, will do them easier than PBs recommend for now. I've started on probiotics (finally) too which will hopefully keep anything else at bay.
    Tag rugby starts back this week also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Can you link to that HM plan please? Can't seem to see it.

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Can you link to that HM plan please? Can't seem to see it.

It's from a book so I don't have a link for it I'm afraid..

Mon 3rd June
    Plan: 6 miles General Aerobic, 8 x 100m strides.
    Actual: Recovery 5 miles. Given the mini-marathon the day before, and still feeling I was only getting better, I set out to keep this easy. About 50 yards down the road I decided to switch the watch to HR which I never do, and tried to keep it in the 130s. It was very, very hard to keep it that low!! Average pace 11.24/m and the run took nothing out of me in what was a beautiful morning.

Tues 4th June
    Plan: 8 miles Endurance
    Actual: As per the plan. Found it hard at first but settled into it and it went quite well. Paces were starting out at 10 min miles down to just below 9 min miles. Average pace 9.21/m.
    This was also my first day to cycle in and out to work (in the lovely rain). Enjoyed it surprisingly. It's about 4 miles each way.

Weds 5th June
    Plan: Rest or XT
    Actual: First night back at tag rugby. It's in the grading stage so had 2 x 20 min games. Plenty of sprinting which apparently I complained about many times :pac:
    Cycled in and out to work again.

Thurs 6th June
    Plan: LT run. 7 miles with 14 mins LT, 4 mins recovery, 12 mins LT.
    Actual: As above, but with extra recoveries :o . This was horrible. I calculated LT as 7.40, but set it in my watch up to 8min/mile in case I felt rotten, which I did and struggled to hit that pace even in the 2nd LT section. I headed over to UCD for this and I'm blaming the first section going wrong when I had to stop for a dog off-lead and then struggled to get back into a rhythm. Stopped the watch a little further on for a breather, then walked the actual 4 min recovery. Stopped a few times during the 2nd section also. LT paces were 7.59, 7.40, 8.05 and 7.53.
    I felt fairly rubbish after this and a little despondent, but after thinking about it a while, I reckon the lack of speed recently made this a little harder to execute? Will see how this week's goes anyway!

Fri 7th June
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: As above. Bus to Cork :)

Sat 8th June
    Plan: 10 mile Endurance.
    Actual: Headed to Ballincollig parkrun with my sister and brother-in-law. Short 1km warm-up, and then started out parkrun easy with Linda. We were picking up pace as we went along however, and caught up with Kellygirl towards the end of the first lap :) Enjoyed the running chats with her for the second lap and checking if she found herself uncertain at times when mentoring last year :rolleyes: It's a really great thing about boards; being able to meet up with people in different parts of the country at parkruns / races! Lovely morning.
    Got to see the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh at last that evening then, and a win for Cork. Nice first ever match for my rebel nephew :P

Sun 9th June
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: I had been hoping to get out for something of a run to bring up the mileage for the week, but I was wrecked and hungry after the bus journey back to Dublin and got a rare chipper on the way home instead :eek:

Total: 23.7 (approx 7 miles lower than planned).

I was a bit annoyed I had such low mileage, but such is life sometimes and I should be able to hit all the remaining weeks ok, despite life plans. Although I do have a question about this week's plan...
    Next weekend, we have the club's timed mile again. That's Saturday morning. The plan has 11 mile endurance. I don't want to miss another long run, but I also don't want to try fit in a run next Sunday. Would it be insanity to do the long run Sat evening?? With the timed mile, we tend to do maybe a mile warm-up and cool-down (as everyone is keen to get to the food part of the morning!) so mileage is low enough at that.. interested to hear people's opinions and I will listen to all even if its not what I want to hear :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It's from a book so I don't have a link for it I'm afraid..

Hence I couldn't find it :D. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nice bit of variety in that week V :)

Just a quick thought on your runs on Saturday next....I think you could manage a very easy/recovery run on the Saturday evening but probably would keep it a few miles shorter than the 11. You'll be following up with a days recovery anyway. I'd be ready to pull the plug on it after a couple of miles if I felt that the time trial had taken a toll.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote:
    Just a quick thought on your runs on Saturday next....I think you could manage a very easy/recovery run on the Saturday evening but probably would keep it a few miles shorter than the 11. You'll be following up with a days recovery anyway. I'd be ready to pull the plug on it after a couple of miles if I felt that the time trial had taken a toll.

Thanks S. Not doing the full 11 does sound more sensible alright. I'll see how I'm feeling by the evening also.

Mon 10th
    Plan: 7 miles General Aerobic, 6x12sec hills, 6x100m strides
    Actual: 8.2 miles easy including the hills and strides. Did the hills and strides at the end not realising it would add a bit of mileage. No harm done I think. Enjoyed the hills, not the strides! Don't think I've ever actually done 6x100m strides before, maybe did them a little fast.

Tues 11th
    Plan: 8 miles endurance
    Actual: 8 miles endurance. Same as last Tuesday, felt pretty good and found it easier to dial into the slowly increasing paces. Did it before day 2 of a first aid course so I could have a few beverages that night at the Backstreet Boys :D (BEST NIGHT EVER)

Weds 12th
    Actual: Tag rugby. 2 more 20 min games (and wins!). Sprinting felt better this week.

Thurs 13th
    Plan: LT run. 8 miles with 18 mins LT, 4 mins recovery, 12 mins LT.
    Actual: 2 mile warm up (10.05, 10.16).
    18 mins LT. Target pace was 7.40-7.55. Paces hit were 7.52, 7.42, 7.49
    4 mins recovery which I walked. It was my reward for managing to do the 18 minutes without breaks or drama!
    12 mins LT. Paces hit were 7.47, 7.50
    1.9 miles cool down (9.53, 9.51)
    I was surprised that I did this ok after the disaster last week, and even the 12 mins interval felt grand after the first one. These sessions are going to be tough each week but the feeling when you complete it is nice!

Fri 14th
    Actual: Just the cycle commute to and from work.

Sat 15th
    Plan: 11 miles endurance
    Actual:
    This morning was the June Magic Mile with the club. We rented an outdoor track and were expecting rain, but got a pleasant surprise when it turned out to be a lovely sunny morning!
    My goal was to be faster than January's 6.36 time, but I wasn't sure how it would go. Each time I've done this since Jan 2017, I've managed to get quicker each trial, so the pressure was on to continue that trend. I was texting my brother last night who reminded me to believe in myself and whatever I do, don't look at the watch and run hard!!
    Short enough warm-up with some drills, and then we were split into 2 races. I was a little peeved when I was put in the slower race as the coach obviously hasn't been looking at recent race results, but maybe the annoyance served me well. I knew there were still a couple of people I could work off, so got on with it.

I tend to remember very little during most races, and it's even worse when they're so short! I saw 2 people take off very hard but let them go and quickly found the effort level that seemed right. Into the second lap, I had the "this is so hard, why I am doing this thoughts", yay. Sensed someone on my shoulder, and when I heard the name called out I was surprised at who it was cos I knew he'd beaten me well in January.
    I was breathing hard by the end of lap 2 but knew if I got myself around lap 3, I could get myself home. The 2 ahead were struggling a little and I gained on them, passing one by the end of the lap.
    As we started the final lap, the guy on my shoulder took it up about 4 gears, no exaggeration, and there was no chance of catching him! I was making a lot of noise with my breathing for the whole last lap but couldn't give in now.
    The guy who I'd passed got me back coming around the last turn and I tried to push to keep up with him but there was nothing extra left. Pushed to the line, and needed plenty of moments before I could check with my timekeeper what I'd done. Was DEElighted to hear it was 6.24! Worth the 2 hours of coughing afterwards :pac:

Enjoyed watching my clubmates in the next trial, especially an incredible sprint from one of the lads. Amazing to see the hard work people are putting paying off. We finished off the morning with treats in the Happy Pear. A real Go Team morning!

Evening:
    After a busy afternoon, I headed out for some more miles so I can have the full rest day tomorrow as per the plan. Stuck in the earphones and off I went. Everything felt grand so I did a 7 mile route, average pace 9.54/m. Started around 10.20/m for the first 4 miles, then lifted it a bit for the last few. Lovely evening for a run.

Total for the week: 34.5

Next week's LT session will be replaced with the Dockland's 5k. I'll get in a few miles warm-up, and something of a cool down to get in the mileage. I'd love a PB to be honest but let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Forgot earlier that you were planning to run Docklands :eek:

I'll be looking over my shoulder very anxiously after today. 6:24 mile would suggest a big PB coming up.... either way, hope to see you there ! Well done again.

I'll be looking over my shoulder very anxiously after today. 6:24 mile would suggest a big PB coming up.... either way, hope to see you there ! Well done again.

Ah here, I wouldn't waste the energy looking over the shoulder! I'll be well behind you, even if it was a PB. I've realised I'm not great at 5ks; long enough for the doubt to creep in but not so long that I can talk myself back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's a great mile time. Really well done. As J said it indicates a big chunk could come off your 5k time.. really impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Wow ! A super mile trial ! Good luck with the 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a super week, capped off with a great day today! Very well done on the mile, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Great stuff V! Hopefully catch up with you on Thursday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

You're going from strength to strength at every distance V, it's fantastic to see! Really super stuff in the magic mile, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic mile time, well done! Best of luck with the 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one on the club mile.
    Tues 11th
    Plan: 8 miles endurance
    Actual: 8 miles endurance. Same as last Tuesday, felt pretty good and found it easier to dial into the slowly increasing paces. Did it before day 2 of a first aid course so I could have a few beverages that night at the Backstreet Boys :D (BEST NIGHT EVER)

Get help. :pac:
    Jaysus, 1999 was a long time ago.

Get help. Jaysus, 1999 was a long time ago.

Ah but that was a great time for the old boyband pop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tonight V!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best this evening, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Run well V :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sorry, missed the mile event. Fantastic, well done V. That is some time.

Ruined then with a vegan breakfast. Yuck.

Hopefully then see you later. All the very best.

I'm starting with water station set-up and hopefully then get on the course to support/mashall.

aquinn wrote: »
    Ruined then with a vegan breakfast. Yuck.

Blunt as ever :pac:
    Hopefully see you later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Blunt Brilliant as ever :pac:
    Hopefully see you later!

Oh hi, yes that's me.

:D

Just spotted your typo

aquinn wrote:
    Just spotted your typo

Haha on the ball

• Advertisement

Seeing as I'm online, I might as well lash in a race report.

I thought a PB might be possible in this, and the comments on here made me think it even more. I'd spent some time earlier in the week putting in my mile and 10k PBs in different calendars to give myself a broad target range of 21.40 - 22.10.
    Met up with coogy for a grand old warm-up and few chats around the docklands area, before a last minute panic of where to stash my top and keycard for getting back into the office. Headed up to the start line and kept inching forward to where I thought was appropriate for my target time.

I was impressed with the race starting promptly ( I too noticed the morons people who didn't remove earphones), and managed to find room to get up to the pace I wanted pretty quickly. I settled at about 7-7.05 pace according to my watch and was pleased to find that it seemed comfortable enough. A lot of people passed me in the first 500 metres so I wasn't sure if I had started up too far. Crossed the bridge and got my head ready for the first of 3 long, long straights. I was still feeling good when I heard my name being called, cheers skyblue :)
    Not long after my watch beeped for Mile 1, 6.57... how?! I hadn't noticed my watch going into sub 7 at all but anyway, I felt fairly good still.

I really enjoyed watching the leaders coming back up the other side of the bollards, some looking like they were barely breaking a sweat, others looking like they were gonna vomit. I was starting to look for the turnaround now, and had the awful realisation that it's not even the halfway point when I do get to it :( The sharp turn did break my rhythm but I focused on getting back up to the right pace and told myself to keep at that pace now until I can't anymore. Who am I with such fighting talk :P I was getting a few looks along here as I got a little wheezy, but I was expecting that considering my hayfever has been an absolute pain in the you know where this last week. I ignored the wheezing and assumed I'd be grand. Mile 2 was 7.10. A little off goal pace but still ok.

But then just after that mile beeping, my legs started to struggle. They'd gotten heavier and weren't moving as well. Up towards the bridge and I was really finding the quads in a bad way. It was like someone had attached weights to the top of my legs. I wanted to push on and tried, but my legs just wouldn't do what i wanted them to do. Was looking at my watch losing pace, and trying to figure out likely times but couldn't concentrate on that and moving the legs at the same time. I just tried to battle on without listening to the voice saying "stop, stop". Saw skyblue again who told me only 300m left, and I am very sorry for my murderous thoughts towards you at that point S :D I hated 5ks at this stage, and was swearing off them ever again. The finish line seemed to move away from me but I made it eventually. Chip time 22.40.

My fastest parkrun before this was 22.48, while the last time I ran a chipped 5k was Sept 2017 in 23.47. So a PB either way, but being the miserable git that I am, I was fairly underwhelmed by it. I was at least hoping for low 22s, and I'm putting my annoyance down to the fact that I know I can do that time, or better.

I'd played a fairly intense tag rugby game (intense running-wise, not actually intense as its a social non-contact sport :) ) on Weds night, which involved a lot of sprinting and I really think the heaviness was as a result of that. If the race was tonight, I think I would have performed better.

Anyway, the whole event was great and well-organised. It was lovely to meet people from here again, and others for the first time (MurphD, Singer, misterpaul, laura_ac). Free food and drink is always going to go down well too!

Advertisement