Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on the PB even if it’s not what you wanted. The hay fever is a right pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hayfever - not only has it been a pain for the last week or two, I have an app that keeps telling me the pollen count is 'low today'. Tell that to my eyes, ears and nose, MF.

Well done, even if it's not what you wanted. You know it's there, though, so take that from the race, and don't dwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done on the PB even if it’s not what you wanted. The hay fever is a right pain.
    juke wrote: »
    Hayfever - not only has it been a pain for the last week or two, I have an app that keeps telling me the pollen count is 'low today'. Tell that to my eyes, ears and nose, MF.

Well done, even if it's not what you wanted. You know it's there, though, so take that from the race, and don't dwell.

Thanks ladies!
    Yeah suffering way more this year for some reason, really annoying.

Mon 17th
    Plan: 8 miles General Aerobic, plus 6x12 sec hills + 6x100m strides
    Actual: 6 miles very easy. My hamstring had been paining me since Sunday, so I wanted to be careful with it. Spent some time that night stretching out the quads, which seemed to help a lot (thanks Kellygirl). Avg pace 10.39/m

Tues 18th
    Plan: 9m endurance
    Actual: as planned. Surprised by this, I was finding it tough all the way through but managed it in the end with some internal grumbling to myself. Probably a bit too fast towards the end, and it was on a very clammy evening. Hamstring was much better but didn't quite feel 100%. Avg pace 9.28 but started at just under 10 min miles and worked up to just under 9 min miles.

Weds 19th
    Plan: Rest or XT
    Actual: Tag rugby game. We were short on girls so I had to play this, and played a lot of it. It was a fast game meaning lots of running and sprinting, but worth it for the win anyway. Knew at the end I might pay for it at Docklands 5k but c'est la vie. Cycled to and from work also.

Thurs 20th
    Plan: LT run, 8 miles with 18 mins LT, 4 mins rec, 15 mins LT.
    Actual: Docklands 5k as reported above. Total miles for the evening 6.5.

Fri 21st
    Actual: Rest.

Sat 22nd
    Plan: Progression long run - 12 miles with last 2 @ LT.
    Actual: I got the 12 miles done anyway, but not sure I did the run as intended by the planmakers. I was orginally going to run the first 10 miles at an easy pace, and just do the last 2 faster at LT pace, but after some thought Friday night I set up a run increasing pace every few miles or so to bring me towards LT pace. I struggled with this, and I'm not sure if I should have gone with the original plan. I was very tired by the time I got to LT miles, and only managed one around that pace in the end. Maybe if I'd done the 10 miles easy, I'd have had more energy for the last 2? That said, I did the run fasted and hadn't eaten enough the night before really, plus it was an unexpectedly warm morning so early on. I had to stop a few times at the water tap in Marlay park, I was that parched. Perhaps I would have been fine had I prepared better. Anyway, I was happy to get the distance in, that was my longest run in quite some time. Avg pace 9.21/m.

Sun 23rd
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: Hungover rest :pac: plus packing for my holidays :D

Total miles: 34.8

Happy enough with the week (there was a PB in fairness!). I'm away for this week now, so won't be following the plan but had allowed for this week when I started the plan early. I'm bringing the runners for some easy miles hopefully, and there might be a hike or two as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Enjoy the hols!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good report and good to meet you the other night. Congrats on an excellent result, think you were the only PB I came across on the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done on Thursday - more to come in the right circumstance I'm sure.
    Enjoy the holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the PB - pesky hay fever !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll forgive your murderous thoughts towards me for once! Well done on toughing that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Well done on the PB! It was hard won and you should take pride in that.

Also well done on getting the first LR with the LT done. I’m always surprised that it comes where it does in the plan, ie before you’ve covered the distance at a more leisurely pace. The rest will be easier.

Enjoy the holidays :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done again V, really enjoyed that warm up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh holidays, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats again on the PB. Yes, that turnaround is a bit disconcerting when you know you've still nearly 3k to go. Sorry I missed you. Have a great holiday :D

Hello. I am now a loaf of bread after a week in Italy :rolleyes:

This wasn't a proper week in terms of following the plan, my only aim was to get easy miles in where possible.

Mon 24th
    Nothing, was flying.

Tues 25th
    Got out for 4 easy miles in the morning, hot but very enjoyable. Avg pace 10.16/m. Followed by a day at the beach :cool:

Weds 26th
    Had intended on getting up for another run, but was very tired when my alarm went off, so enjoyed more sleep instead. Probably not bad as we went exploring the Aragon Castle which involved a lot more climbing than expected. Stunning views.

Thurs 27th
    Decided to run a different direction which I knew was uphill to start, but didn't realise just how uphill! Ran to the next town and back, absolutely fabulous coastline views. Had to walk some uphill on the way back when it was in the sun as it was just too much for poor little me :p 6 miles, 10.35/m avg.
    Recovered at one of the thermal parks on the island - UNREAL.

Fri 28th
    Climbed Monte Epomeo, and started further down than most it seems :rolleyes: Worth it though, again amazing views of the entire island and Sorrento, Capri and Procida.

Sat 29th
    One last run, wasn't able for more than a few miles thanks to the heat and er, a couple wines the night before. 3.4 miles, 10.32/m.

Sun 30th
    Got home about 5.30pm and rested a while before deciding to head up to Marlay for a run. I forgot it was all fenced up in parts before Longitude next weekend, but still managed to get in 9 miles comfortably enough. Could feel the climb in my glutes still but loosened out by the end. Avg pace 10.37/m

Total miles: 22.4. Low but a gals gotta holiday :P

Total miles for June: 125.4

I was trying to get a DCM entry this morning as every time I pass the finish area I get quite sad I didn't make it that far last year :( However, it would have been to just experience that and no time in mind, so maybe it's for the best I didn't get an entry. I'll stick with the original plan of no marathon this year, and next year attack it properly. I'll enjoy the cheering on and McGrattan's afterwards this year anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

There's definitely worse things I can think of than a week of Italian food :D
    Congrats on the two recent PBs. You've had an incredible run of results over the last while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Never heard of a thermal park, jealous. :cool:

Mon 1st July
    Plan: GA + speed. 8 miles, 2 reps of 5x150m strides.
    I decided to do the strides in the middle of the run as opposed to the end, not sure it makes much difference? 250m recovery between the strides and 4mins recovery between the sets as prescribed in the plan. Really tried to focus on getting the form correct. Very enjoyable and the 8 miles passed quickly. Avg pace 10.02/m.

Tues 2nd July
    Plan: GA 7 miles.
    Got this done with very little drama. Headed up to the club as I haven't been in ages and got in with the people I knew would keep it easy. A lot of freshly cut grass ahead of Longitude in Marlay which was a little troublesome but still enjoyed the chats a lot. Avg pace 10.12/m.

I had seen a few times on various logs people attempting that 30 day challenge so I signed up and started it Tues evening. Will see how long I last...

Weds 3rd July
    Tag match. Other team forfeited annoyingly but we got in a game amongst ourselves. Clammy evening. Day 2 of 30 day challenge done also.

Thurs 4th July
    Plan: GA 8 miles.
    Again, up to the club for this thanks to the US being off and a quiet day at work :cool: Many were only doing 5 miles so I planned to do the last few solo, until a much faster man in the club saw me on my own, felt bad and said he'd run with me. I warned him of my pace but when someone is chatting to you and keeping a few steps ahead, you tend to fall into their pace. And the last mile ended up too fast. Annoying, but found it hard to tell him off.. Avg pace 10.10/m. Legs felt heavy, not sure if from tag or the challenge, possibly both.
    Day 3 of 30 day challenge done.

Fri 5th July
    Rest, glorious rest and dinner and a few drinks with pals.
    Still did Day 4 of the 30 day challenge when I got home though :pac:

Sat 6th July
    Plan: GA 9 miles.
    I veered off this plan today for a couple of reasons. This week is a recovery week on the plan, hence all the easy runs, but given I'd an easy week last week and have the 5k next weekend, I didn't want to miss out on a LR with LT in it? So I decided to run to Brickfields parkrun, attempt it at LT pace (7.40-7.55 is the window I've been going for on these), and then run to the Luas to get home. This would keep total mileage ok I felt.
    Got to Brickfields with only one wrong turn (will I ever memorise a route correctly?), and had to hang about a bit for the start but got chatting to a few people. They didn't say too much at the briefing so off we went, I managed to settle into the right pace fairly quickly but could feel the quads were heavy. The 4 laps out there are a bit of a killer and by the middle of lap 3 I had backed off the LT pace. My legs were too heavy and tbh, there was no point in pushing it for a parkrun. Kept a certain amount of effort up to get myself around the last lap and a bit for 25.51 parkrun.
    Was very happy to see they had water at the finish so drank a bit of that, another little chat with folks and then jogged on to the Luas at Charlemont. I should have tied my hair into a bun or something though, literally sweat dripping onto the Luas floor :o I am gross. 10.6 miles for the morning, avg pace 9.58/m.

Hopefully will do Day 5 of the challenge later, that's the plan anyway!
    Looking forward to a rest day filled with cakes tomorrow for our 2nd annual family picnic :D

Total miles this week: 33.7. Enjoyed them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good week there
    What is the 30 day challenge? Googled it but got a pile of different challenges. Looking for one to print off and stick on the fridge door!

This one: https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/
    Not enjoying it really, but I feel it's needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Never got past day 21! Must try again sometime.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    This one: https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/
    Not enjoying it really, but I feel it's needed!
    Thanks I'll start tomorrow and mix in my physio stuff ðŸ˜

Murph_D wrote: »
    Never got past day 21! Must try again sometime.
    Don't think I ever got past day 2!

Fair play for sticking to it so far V! Can't believe the four laps of Brickfields didn't set your world on fire :cool: :p

Well it's been a week :o

Sun 7th July
    Plan: rest.
    Actual: as per plan. Family picnic, which was just lovely and we were blessed with the weather! Was late enough by the time I got back to Dublin, so skipped the 30 day challenge (had done Day 5 the Sat evening)

Mon 8th July
    Plan: 8 miles, 20 mins LT, 4 mins recovery, 16 mins LT
    Actual: As above but with a few more recoveries. If I'd read ahead last week, i wouldn't have added some LT on the Saturday run with another LT session so soon. I did it as a runmute, and had planned accordingly with just my flipbelt to carry keys and phone and keep myself light for the LT bits. It was still very hard, I was just wrecked! Stopped for a breather after about 13 mins of the LT, then finished it out. Walked the 4 mins recovery, and off I set again (this bit was uphill) and took another breather maybe 8 mins into that one. But managed to finish it out eventually and get the 8 miles in.
    Day 6 of 30 day challenge done.

Tues 9th July
    Plan: 9 endurance
    Actual: 9 easy. I didn't try pick up speed towards the end as I was still tired from night before. Not ideal, but it was also a very sticky evening so the HR was highish anyway it seemed. 10.34/m average.
    Day 7 of 30 day challenge.

Weds 10th July
    Plan: Rest or xt
    Actual: Tag rugby match in the wettest rain ever. Enjoyable though.
    Cycle commute to work.
    Day 8 of 30 day challenge.

Thurs 11th July
    Plan: GA 7 with 10x100m strides.
    Actual: a measly walk! So I had to make a trip to the doctor, which resulted in a local anaesthetic, 2 stitches on my side and a course of antibiotics :o nothing serious thankfully, but when the doctor said "any questions", you can imagine what the questions were! She said no running definitely for 48 hours, and when I asked about racing on Sunday, she gave me a very doubtful look and I said oh I'll see how I feel and she reluctantly agreed.
    Day 9 of 30 day challenge in an attempt to defy my body?

Fri 12th July
    Plan: 4 miles recovery
    Actual: Nothing as per doctor's orders. Also skipped the challenge as it was late by the time I watched Fed v Nadal and then headed to Offaly.

Sat 13th July
    Plan: 12 miles with last 3 @ LT.
    Actual: 7 miles easy. With the 5k on Sunday, I was planning on these easy miles anyway. I'd done tail walker at parkrun that morning, and decided to test how it felt to run. It was very uncomfortable for the first couple of miles, and I was way too nervous to attempt strides at first for fear of bursting my stitches, but I felt okayish then. I was still very unsure about doing the 5k though. Avg pace 10.33/m
    When I got home, and all seemed ok, I text a clubmate who is also a doctor to see what they thought. They were cautious but because of no outright no I kinda decided I'd chance it.
    Day 10 of 30 day challenge.

Sun 14th July
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: Not even half the Day of Irish PBs 5k :(
    Did a little 1mile warm-up, few drills including strides and all felt ok. Lined up for the 22 min race, and kinda knew immediately this was silly. Gave it a mile and the discomfort was big and I told myself off and dropped off the track. Its really annoying as my legs felt pretty good, but there was no point in making something that wasn't serious into something serious. Timing is crappy is all. Did an easy cool down anyway, thank god easy running is fine.

Moral of the story however: listen to your mother.

Total for the week: 28 miles. Half considered heading out for a couple just now to bring me to 30 but really what difference will that make!

So, this week has the Edenderry 10 mile. Hopefully I'll be ok. At least it's not like I'll be running "hard". Will see how midweek goes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Jeepers! Nothing wrong with your dedication anyway.
    Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Your hardcore ! Hopefully another 5k opportunity will come along shortly . Hope your healing is going ok!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Jeepers! Nothing wrong with your dedication anyway.
    Get well soon!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Your hardcore ! Hopefully another 5k opportunity will come along shortly . Hope your healing is going ok!

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I realise how stupid it was of me to try it at all. Need a heavy dose of cop-on.

Completely forgot to add how much I enjoyed the event overall yesterday. Such a great set-up and atmosphere, and it was something else to watch the super fast people in their races later on! Really impressive. My only regret being not topping up my sunscreen - scalded :eek:
    As usual, lovely to see so many people from on here again - including finally meeting Browneyes! (after many months of Strava stalking :p) Great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

At least you had the sense to pull out before you did any damage. Hope you heal quickly.

I'm scalded too! I managed to miss putting cream on two bits on the front of each arm pit and it's so sore today.
    Pity we didn't get to meet although we could have walked right past each other!

Are you doing the South Dublin 10k?

chickey2 wrote: »
    At least you had the sense to pull out before you did any damage. Hope you heal quickly.

I'm scalded too! I managed to miss putting cream on two bits on the front of each arm pit and it's so sore today.
    Pity we didn't get to meet although we could have walked right past each other!

Are you doing the South Dublin 10k?

I'm sure we did walk right past each other!

No, doing the local 10 miler instead. Well, hopefully.

Listen to your mother!
    Stitches? Yikes, you poor thing. Are they sore still? Glad you stopped and hope you're right as rain again soon. 5ks are ten a penny so not worth risking anything for, even when they come with beer at the end!

• Advertisement

How are you finding the Challenge? I'm on Day 9 and the S&C this week is really hitting the glutes. Apparently its recommended to do the exercises after a run. The split squats especially really load the glute max and quads but the stabilisers are equally loaded (glute mead and hamstring) which I find brings a heaviness to running afterwards or next day.

Advertisement