Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I think realistically the best I could hope to hit is just under 1.45. Which would be lovely, but after the National 10k the predictors were giving low 1.40s; I just think I've lost pace since then, or at least lacking the ability to maintain that pace.

Are you possibly being a bit hard on yourself? I think i'm correct in saying that the races you've done since the National 10k have been on tough courses AND/OR been mid-training plan with little/no taper? You've had a few results that didn't match your ability for sure but you've also put in a really good training block with the FRR plan (all those midweek endurance runs :eek:) so i wouldn't underestimate your fitness/endurance/speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote: »
    Are you possibly being a bit hard on yourself? I think i'm correct in saying that the races you've done since the National 10k have been on tough courses AND/OR been mid-training plan with little/no taper? You've had a few results that didn't match your ability for sure but you've also put in a really good training block with the FRR plan (all those midweek endurance runs :eek:) so i wouldn't underestimate your fitness/endurance/speed.

I dunno... I missed a couple weeks in this plan with the health stuff so I kind of think I need to be realistic with pushing the goal back.

I did read the bit in the book about the tune-up races again, and it did say it will be on tired non-tapered legs and to bear that in mind with the result.

I also know if I set out at say, 1.43 pace, thinking I might not be able to do this, then I'll likely not even try do it. I'd rather start from a position I feel more confident in... anyway, I have 18 days to change my mind at least 12 more times :pac:

I also know if I set out at say, 1.43 pace, thinking I might not be able to do this, then I'll likely not even try do it. I'd rather start from a position I feel more confident in... anyway, I have 18 days to change my mind at least 12 more times :pac:

I definitely agree better to start with a goal you feel confident in. At the end of the day you can pick it up if you're feeling comfortable, as we all know it's a lot more disheartening to have a big fall off in pace during a race :(

Only 12 more times :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think realistically the best I could hope to hit is just under 1.45. Which would be lovely, but after the National 10k the predictors were giving low 1.40s; I just think I've lost pace since then, or at least lacking the ability to maintain that pace.

How accurate would calculators be at predicting a HM time from a 10k though? I checked Tinman, McMillan and Jack Daniels - they all give me a 1:39 HM time based off a 44:48 10k, which I think is far too optimistic! Luckily for you I'll be the guinea pig as my HM is the week before yours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I think you might surprise yourself. You've some good long runs done recently, including progressions, so that should help with maintaining/increasing pace. Totally get what you're saying about wanting to start at a pace you feel confident at and I think I would do the exact same, but I'd say you may well find yourself picking it up as you go. It's a great race anyway, definitely one to enjoy.

• Advertisement

Bit late updating last week.

Mon 12th Aug
    Plan: GA 8 miles plus strides
    Actual: Recovery paced miles to and from a reformer pilates class. 3m @ 10.41/m and 3m @ 10.50/m. Definitely felt like this was the best option after the race the day before, as I felt stiff to start then great by the end :)
    Also cycled to and from work.

Tues 13th Aug
    Plan: GA 7 miles
    Actual: So, I deviated a fair bit this week as this was the week on the plan with the second turn-up race - which obviously I wasn't doing. I had a look at how the other weeks were structured and figured an endurance run would be fine. Ran to Marlay and back, 10m endurance from 10.36 to 8.38/m. Really pleased with this.
    And even happier arriving home to the news my sister's baby girl had been born safely :D

Weds 14th Aug
    Plan: Rest or XT
    Actual: Tag rugby as usual.

Thurs 15th Aug
    Plan: Recovery 3 miles
    Actual: 8m easyish, but with a period in the middle where I joined some clubmates for their MP section. Average pace 10.11/m.

Fri 16th Aug
    Plan: 8k-10k tuine-up race
    Actual: Wedding guest fun. A lot of time in heels, and dancing. I woke up then that night with the WORST cramp in my left calf.

Sat 17th Aug
    Plan: 10m endurance
    Actual: Rest. Between attending the day 2 bbq and a haunting crampy pain in my calf, I decided I'd push my long run to Sunday.

Sun 18th Aug
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: 12m easy. Waited until after the All-Ireland for this; got lovely sunshine at first then absolutely soaked! My calf was giving out a little at the start but was fine after 20 mins or so. Average pace 10.11/m.

Total for the week: 36.3.

The plan slightly tapers now for the HM Saturday week.

Congrats on your new niece!

Mon 19th Aug
    Actual: Rest, long drive to Cork to see the newest member of the family :)

Tues 20th Aug
    Plan: GA + speed, 6m plus strides
    Actual: 6 easy after driving back from Cork. Average pace 10.05/m. Did 4 x 150m strides to finish. Felt grand.

Weds 21st Aug
    Plan: 4m recovery
    Actual: 3.5m easy before tag rugby, average pace 10.46/m.

Thurs 22nd Aug
    Plan: Vo2 session, 9m with 2x1200m, 2x1000m, 800m @ 3-5k pace
    Actual: Got the session done but not without mental struggles as I wasn't hitting the paces! Stopped after the warm-up to check my right foot, weird pain on it but it eased off during the session itself.. planned pace was 7.00-7.15.
    1200s: 7.17, 7.13
    1000s: 7.20, 7.18
    800: 7.09
    8 miles total.

Fri 23rd Aug
    Plan: 3m recovery
    Actual: Nothing, was travelling to UK for a long weekend.

Sat 24th Aug
    Plan: 10m endurance
    Actual: I expected a lot of activities on this weekend away, so after checking with a couple of the 2018 grads, I decided I'd not do this long run in case of not getting the taper effect before next weekend. Headed to a parkrun in the Lake District area instead, intending on a little warmup and cool down and parkrun at an easy pace. Well, it was a beautiful parkrun but absolutely the toughest I've done! Mostly on grass, which was very mucky in places as it had rained all week apparently, and some beasts of hills! I noticed a lot of runners had trail shoes on. Average pace for parkrun was 9.06 so quicker than easy and also on a tough course... not the most sensible but it was fun.. I did love it. 4.4m total is all for the morning.

Then some walking and cycling (albeit on an electric assist bike :pac:) for the rest of the day. Beautiful area.

Total miles for the week: 22.2, very low.. but taper?!

Week 12 FRR HM Plan 1 aka Race Week

Sun 25th Aug
    Actual: Just a climb up to see Windermere Lake. Would have liked more walking tbh but the girls weren't so keen :rolleyes:

Mon 26th Aug
    Plan: 7m with 2m @ HMP
    Actual: Headed out late after the flight home. Average pace 9.54/m. I attempted 8min/m as my HMP, but struggled A LOT. Hoping it was after the weekend and being in a car for a lot of the day. My left calf was giving out a lot so I need to spend a lot of time on the foam roller this week, and make sure I'm hydrating correctly.

That's a fairly serious Vo2 session, you did, well done! And kudos on the park run, it sounds like you might enjoy cross country. You've done great training this past while, you really nailed the FRR plan despite your doubts mid-plan - i'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the plan in general when the dust has settled. Best of luck with the taper this week, i hope it is as madness free as possible :D

ariana` wrote: »
    That's a fairly serious Vo2 session, you did, well done! And kudos on the park run, it sounds like you might enjoy cross country. You've done great training this past while, you really nailed the FRR plan despite your doubts mid-plan - i'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the plan in general when the dust has settled. Best of luck with the taper this week, i hope it is as madness free as possible :D

Surely you've seen my hatred of cross country in this thread before :P
    Although I admit to feeling a thrill I haven't felt before whilst booting it up a hill in the meadow part of the course... maybe I'll give it one last chance this Autumn / Winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

"Brutal" is my new favourite word. I found the VO2 max session and the solitary HMP sessions to be brutal in that plan. The first time I followed the plan, I was 20 seconds outside my goal time; the second, I was well inside it, so I don't know if it told me much about what I was capable of on the day.

Best of luck tomorrow V! What are you thinking target wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck. Try not get too nervous. You've got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Full confidence in you V. Go and smash it! :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow V! What are you thinking target wise?

1.43.36 ;) joke :P

I'm intending to set out at 8 min miles and then either
    a. pick it up after 10 miles if I'm able

b. pick it up for the last mile if plan a doesn't work out
    c. if I'm really not feeling it for plan b, try the last km i.e. run 4 25 min 5ks and then a faster last km :D

All plans include a faster finish as that's what the plan has been forcing me to do with either the endurance runs or the long runs with LT finishes. I didn't execute them all perfectly, but I didn't fail entirely either so...
    I'm trying to ignore the fact that I struggled with the HMP pace on Monday's run, and that I struggled in the 10 miler (but we know that wasn't down to fitness!), and tell myself I'm well able for this. Positivity only today :cool:

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck. Try not get too nervous. You've got this.
    Full confidence in you V. Go and smash it! :)

Thanks lads. Definitely appreciate the support on here and Strava!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hope you have a great run tomorrow V. Positive thoughts sent your way. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Very best of luck V

Positivity is the way to go - you ARE well able for this. More than able. Can't wait to read all about it.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the very best for tomorrow V.

You have trained really well for it and a top time is definitely in your grasp. I look forward to hearing and reading all about it!

1.43.36 ;)

I'd be delighted to see that... you are more than capable! The plan looks good. You've got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best tomorrow V. You'll give it a right good crack. I was planning to go down and run it easy but some sage advice from a Limerick direction had me pull the plug on that idea :pac: Run well and enjoy the pain when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope you have a brilliant race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Run well tomorrow V! (and have fun!!)

Definitely got my comeuppance today for ignoring sundry niggles and aches the last while. I didn't mention many on here for fear of people telling me to take the foot off the pedal. That's not without reason, but it was beyond foolish.

S*itshow of a race for me, and the only reason I finished was because I didn't want to come on here yet again saying I quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry you did not get the race you wanted V. It’s so disappointing when you train hard for a run and it goes to sh*te on the day. Get those niggles sorted and you will be back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ah V. So sorry to read this. More so because you care about the random thoughts of a few strangers on the internet rather than listening to your body ;)

Rest, eat (hope there's a Mammy's dinner in the near future), recover and get to a physio. You will come back stronger, probably more quickly than you think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. Don't think you find a log in here without a rough day at an event, I know it's another matter when you're living and breathing it. Well done on getting over the line, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah feck. Get those niggles seen to. Hope you are ok. Big hugs.

Advertisement