Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sorry to hear this .Sort out those niggles and look after yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Tues 27th Aug
    Plan: 5m recovery
    Actual: Had booked for pilates so did a nice easy jog to and from there, total 4.3 miles. 11.43/m over, 12.39/m home. Kept the HR in the 130s.

Weds 28th
    Plan: 4m recovery
    Actual: 3m (10.48/m) over to watch tag (had told the team I wouldn't be playing). I did end up playing last 5 mins as our girls were wrecked, but it was fairly slowed down by that stage. 1m home, 10.52/m.

Thurs 29th
    Rest

Fri 30th
    Plan: 3m plus strides
    Actual: 2.7 including 4x100m strides. Avg pace 10.42/m.

The week leading up had been mixed in terms of confidence levels, but by Friday I was feeling pretty good and positive. I’d broken down the possible plans and none of them seemed crazy or unrealistic.
    I drove down to Offaly Friday night and got to bed in reasonable time. Up for 8am, had some overnight oats with banana and a slice of bread, and on the road for 8.45am with my takeaway cup of tea. I stuck on the Greatest Showman soundtrack to sing along for the drive over – I was positively GIDDY.

Traffic was fine around Tullamore so I arrived in plenty of time to collect my number and t-shirt, use the facilities a couple of times and get my warm-up and drills done. I was keeping an eye out for a few of the 2019 novices, but didn’t spot any of them unfortunately. Finally, 10.45 arrived and we were brought around to the starting point. I felt really calm waiting for the start, and positioned myself near the 1.45 pacers even though I knew I’d be keeping an eye on the pace myself.

Miles 1-3 [8.06, 7.52, 8.01]
    I was happy to not hit 8 min pace for the first mile, but rather just above it to ensure not setting off too hard. It was a narrow start but I quickly got myself up to about 8.05 pace. I realized the 1.45 pacers must have dropped back a bit before the start, so I was ahead of them but hardly mattered when I was running my own race. About half a mile in, I noticed I felt like I was “working” a little, clicked to HR screen and saw 173 which seemed a little high so soon, but told myself to ignore as I was likely just settling into this pace. Pace crept up a bit in mile 2 frequently and I kept having to pull myself back, which seemed promising. However, close to the end of mile 2 my right calf started making itself known. This was odd to me at first, as it was always the left calf causing me issues the last while. Then again, I had focused on the left a lot so then wondered if I’d left myself unbalanced the other way? Told myself it might ease out, and to keep the head down. Into mile 3 and it was quite sore. Got to 5k at just under 25 mins, which was on target..

Miles 4-6 [8.17, 8.51, 9.27]
    Dipped a bit into mile 4 and decided to wait for the 1.45 pacers and latch on. Only stayed with them until mile 4 was done, and eased up completely. I was in pain and frustrated hugely. Why now? I could keep with pace but its one thing managing a race pace when not feeling other aches and pains, but with the head popping between the two, my positivity was well shot. Just kept trying to jog on, maybe increase pace but then the left calf joined the party. I was battling tears, mostly of frustration, by now and telling myself to ignore the “quit” voices in my head; no way was I getting another DNF. Into mile 5 and 6 and telling myself I’ll get to halfway and see what’s going on.

Miles 7-9 [12.16, 8.55, 10.21]
    I knew the next water station was at halfway, and stopped to drink the water, decided to use the portaloo and then stretched out both calves for a minute. It eased them temporarily, but when they flared up again so did my right hamstring. Presumably by now other parts of the legs were working to compensate for the stupid calves. At 8 miles I allowed myself a little walk, but forced myself to get going again fairly quickly. I was truly miserable, and my headspace was quite dark by this stage. I was thinking back to all the evenings where my left calf in particular was acting up and I thought I could run through it indefinitely. I also thought about the left shin which has been paining me on and off for months now, so much so that sometimes I have to apply cold gel to it just to allow myself to sleep in comfort. Niggles I had never properly shared with people for fear of being told to do the dreaded i.e. stop running.

Miles 10-12 [10.13, 9.53, 9.10]
    I stopped again about 10ish miles in to walk up a little hill. My left hamstring and my groin / pelvis area were now giving out too. I was in tears to be honest, not just from pain but from an emotional aspect too. A marshall came over and told me run again, “my calves” I mumbled… they’ll get stiffer he said!! So I jogged a bit, gave out a lot and he jogged with me a while. It was nice of him but also I just wanted to be left alone in my misery. To be fair, the pain was there regardless of pace so he got me back going and I ran it home, apart from another drink at a water station, and decided I’d just take all the pain of keeping a faster pace and wherever the hell the pain was by now.

Mile 13 and 0.1 [8.38, 7.09 pace]
    In all my thoughts of this race not going to plan, I never thought I’d struggle to get under 2 hours. This was the only thing pushing me on for the last mile – not that I managed it even. 2.01 finishing time.

Headed out of the stadium and queued up for the free physios. It was only a short rub but no surprises that he commented on the calves and hamstrings. Realized while I was queuing that I’d walked past the goodie bags, and they were gone by the time my rub down was done. Then I went for tea and got skipped over in that queue… one of those days! I was an emotional wreck heading home in the car.

I took my time uploading it to Strava cos I couldn’t bear the comments, and in fact, I’ve hidden the activity on there now cos even though I know people mean well, I just found them frustrating. I know that’s a bit mean-spirited of me but I just couldn’t… But thank you to everyone who checked in with me. Appreciated, I promise! I went over to the ice bath and sauna at the local swimming pool Sunday morning, and they felt good for the legs. I’ve a physio appointment booked for this evening, so will see how that goes. The legs feel sh*te today still, but dunno if that was cos I was relatively inactive yesterday and stiffened up.

I’ve obviously done a lot of thinking since Saturday morning, and if you asked me when I last had a comfortable run i.e. nothing acting up with my legs, I couldn’t tell you when that was. Which I’m not sure is a good thing. I’d just run anyway even if something felt off and hope it disappeared. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

If anyone has any thoughts on maybe some training errors that might have contributed, I’d welcome them. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm gutted for you. I can totally feel the frustration in your report. You kept going though and finished which you have to give yourself credit for.
    I've no advice I'm afraid other than get the niggles checked out. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

My initial thought is that you put too much pressure on yourself and that is leading to bad decisions with training, such as in this case with the leg or before when you had stitches.

Good luck at the physio. Off for my long run now so I will spend the next 3 hours pondering the running career of ReeReeG :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I think just put the feet up, watch some TV, and wait to see what the physio suggests.

Had not expected you were running with hidden niggles, you had been doing great this year. Hope there will be some advice on the shins as well as the calves (and hamstring).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nothing of use to add other than to ask that you let us know how you get on with the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I hadn't spotted any training "errors" anyway, I thought you'd been doing great training. I hope the physio has some answers and can help.

This one won't keep you down for long, I'd be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That was tough to read. The first mention I took note of with your left calf was after the wedding. Was that the start of it?

Got to the physio (after a fast walk that had the calves stiffening again), and he went through my running history and when I started noticing issues etc. Watched how I was standing, then how I was running and my range of motion from my hips, including how I squat and lunge. Apparently I'm quad-dominant, which means the quads and calves are doing all of the work and nothing from the hips or glutes. Hence, the state of the calves (and in fairness, the quads aren't in great shape either). This has also led to shin splints on my left leg, and possibly the startings of it on the right.

The physio explained I need to activate the right muscles so I run better and take all the pressure off the calves. Gym work / S&C is where I will get this. It's funny though, I did remark to him as we were going through the history that I noticed my feet were landing differently this last while - there was a much louder slapping sound. It probably correlates to when the calves started acting up, and more importantly a few weeks after we moved office and I was no longer doing my couple of yoga/pilates classes a week.

Anyway, he was asking me about next races etc and laughed at me when I said a HM on the 14th... I wasn't hopeful anyway. He advised to focus only on simple exercises he's given me for the next two weeks and no running. I can cycle and walk, so I'll do a bit of those for my work commute etc.

I'm happy it's all fixable, even if it won't be a quick fix. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage to the shin, but I'm going to be as good a patient now as possible. I can still volunteer at parkruns sure :)

After all that analysis etc, the physio got to work on the calves... oh dear lord. Bricks, actual bricks. I've to go back Thursday for another rub, dreading the pain already!!

• Advertisement

That was tough to read. The first mention I took note of with your left calf was after the wedding. Was that the start of it?

It was tough to write! No, it had started before that but I think I should have paid a visit to the physio at that stage (well, should have gone before, but should REALLY have listened to my body that weekend!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Got to the physio (after a fast walk that had the calves stiffening again), and he went through my running history and when I started noticing issues etc. Watched how I was standing, then how I was running and my range of motion from my hips, including how I squat and lunge. Apparently I'm quad-dominant, which means the quads and calves are doing all of the work and nothing from the hips or glutes. Hence, the state of the calves (and in fairness, the quads aren't in great shape either). This has also led to shin splints on my left leg, and possibly the startings of it on the right.

The physio explained I need to activate the right muscles so I run better and take all the pressure off the calves. Gym work / S&C is where I will get this. It's funny though, I did remark to him as we were going through the history that I noticed my feet were landing differently this last while - there was a much louder slapping sound. It probably correlates to when the calves started acting up, and more importantly a few weeks after we moved office and I was no longer doing my couple of yoga/pilates classes a week.

Anyway, he was asking me about next races etc and laughed at me when I said a HM on the 14th... I wasn't hopeful anyway. He advised to focus only on simple exercises he's given me for the next two weeks and no running. I can cycle and walk, so I'll do a bit of those for my work commute etc.

I'm happy it's all fixable, even if it won't be a quick fix. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage to the shin, but I'm going to be as good a patient now as possible. I can still volunteer at parkruns sure :)

After all that analysis etc, the physio got to work on the calves... oh dear lord. Bricks, actual bricks. I've to go back Thursday for another rub, dreading the pain already!!

Good news, at least it shouldn't take too long, touch wood. Hate any of that myself. Remember physio sessions pre: DCM 2016. ITB issues then. Ouch.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Best of luck with the physio. Sounds very fixable. Had my own calf/shin splint issues in the past. Physio and exercises worked great. If the physio brings out a golf ball to work on the calves be prepared for the tears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well glad to read about the physio and that it’s fixable. I hope you feel better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

It sounds like you got a very thorough physio there which is half the battle. Weak glutes and poor activation of the glute muscles seems to be a common enough theme among us recreational runners, my physio likes to blame this generation's mainly sedentary lifestyle, sitting is the new smoking. Best of luck with the rehab and prehab, it can only make you a better/stronger runner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The guy I've been to a few times has this 'yeah, but what else are ye doing?' sense about him. It's not that he's being a smart arse. His basic thesis is correct - movement must be more than tarmac related, otherwise the body will just yelp at some point. He's more of a triathlete and has done 1.18-1.21 in half marathons. I think as runners we've a tendency to get sucked into paces, plans, targets and the big one - mileage, mileage, mileage. I've certainly done little else most of the time and probably gotten away with it until recently. Sounds like your appointment was thorough. eyrie put me on to yoga which is definitely become a part of my toolkit in the past week or two.

Update for myself in case I need to look back on this sometime..

Did a reformer pilates class Tuesday night, trying to work harder on the exercises using the glutes and core. Continued with the physio-given exercises twice a day until a return visit Thursday morning. Apparently my side plank had improved already so yay for me. Got another rub on the calves, still like bricks and not great at all. The shin was already less tender though so that's a good thing. Got more exercises to do, some now involving weights.

Volunteered at parkrun Saturday morning, before trying a spin class. Bad idea as it turns out - I think because my glutes are still quite weak, I was doing way more from my quads which is not what was needed, and I am still in agony today!! Walking down stairs is horrible :( Although I also think I didn't have the bike set up correctly for my height as the whole thing felt quite awkward.
    Did another reformer pilates yesterday, and I definitely think these are more beneficial right now.

I'll be back at the physio on Thursday again so we'll see where I'm at.
    I am finding it hard without running though, head went to a dark enough place last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

From my experiences staying as active as possible will help prevent the mind wandering to that dark place, it’s amazing when running is taken away how much we miss it.

OOnegative wrote: »
    From my experiences staying as active as possible will help prevent the mind wandering to that dark place, it’s amazing when running is taken away how much we miss it.

Yeah I am trying to stay active alright, might finally join the gym I've been threatening to join since we moved office. I hadn't realised quite how much I depend on running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah I am trying to stay active alright, might finally join the gym I've been threatening to join since we moved office. I hadn't realised quite how much I depend on running.

Running makes you feel good about yourself, maybe not when your slogging it out on a long run or session, but the afterwards makes it all worth while. Hard when that’s taken away for a period. Joining a gym sounds like a smart idea.

• Advertisement

Last Monday evening I went to join a gym near the office, but they insisted on me having a free trial first :) Who am I to say no to something free?
    In I went Tuesday morning to try it out, but feeling like a complete fraud as I was only doing my physio-given exercises :) Went to reformer pilates again that night, and really worked hard on the exercises involving the glutes and hips. I do want to keep this class up despite the cost as I'm really enjoying it. There are worse things I could be spending money on I suppose.
    I was doing the exercises from the physio twice a day most days so I was fairly hopeful of improvements when I went back on Thursday morning.
    My calves are far less brick-like but still very, very sore when the physio is working on them so there's a bit to go yet. Naturally I asked when he thought I might be able to run and he said 2-3 weeks still... I could have cried. He also said it might not have been so long had I not finished the race a couple of weeks ago. Pff. He changed up some of the exercises (made them harder naturally) so that's me for another week.

I did consider trying to get another opinion on the no running thing. Well, to be honest I did text my friend who's a physio and she said it seemed drastic. I was thinking of attempting a 20 min easy jog yesterday, but I'd walked home from work on Friday and to be honest, my calves were tightening up from that alone. My left leg was cramping all day Saturday, I assume dehydration as I'm working hard on the exercises. So in the end I've decided to continue putting all effort into the exercises and seeing what the physio says this week. I can wait until then. I might beg him to allow a couple of short runs though :o

Anyway, lots of football watching was done this weekend, and a nice walk in Donadea with friends yesterday, despite the drizzle.

I'll be out cheering on the Novices in Phoenix Park on Saturday for the HM. My sister is also doing her first ever HM and is already super nervous so it will be nice to give her a shout or two! Hopefully will see lots of other non-Novices Boardies and of course my clubmates.
    I might even make flapjacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

You're being very patient and it'll pay off. Fingers crossed you get the go ahead to do a few short runs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm looking forward to the flapjacks already!

Nice job sticking with the exercises, and good to see a little improvement on the calves. Keep patient and it will pay off long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Patience will pay off in the end. Do you have compression socks/sleeves, might be no harm wearing them for a few hours a day as they are great for helping the calves. And if you have none they are definitely worth purchasing. Make sure you get measured and don't just buy off the shelf as the wrong size is not helpful

Younganne wrote: »
    Patience will pay off in the end. Do you have compression socks/sleeves, might be no harm wearing them for a few hours a day as they are great for helping the calves. And if you have none they are definitely worth purchasing. Make sure you get measured and don't just buy off the shelf as the wrong size is not helpful

You know I do actually have some, they were bought after Limerick marathon last year as I was getting on a long-haul a couple days later. Fairly sure I just picked up a pair rather than getting measured though, so I'll look into that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Well done, just doing “exercises” requires a lot of discipline.....did someone say flapjacks????

Hope the race goes well for your sister too.

More of the same last week with the exercises and cycling to and from work, and one reformer pilates class.

I went back to the physio Thursday and there was an improvement I am pleased to say - the skin on my calves actually moves now! :rolleyes:
    As usual, he upped the exercises once more as there is still plenty to be worked on in getting my glutes to work more, but he did allow me a 20 minute run at the weekend with strict instructions that if the calves gave out, I had to stop.

Spent Saturday morning at the DCHM supporting with Huzzah!. Any jealousy of people running evaporated watching people pass the 10m mark :D Hot day for folks. Was great to meet up with our esteemed leading mentor Mr Guappa, a couple of the 2018 mentors, 2018 grads and of course a bunch of the 2019 Novices. Such a fun morning, and great to see so many positive results and experiences.

Headed out for the 20 mins then feeling so inspired! Didn't keep an eye on the watch for pace, but just tried to move from my hips and monitor the calves. It all felt fine, and amazing to be running, although I did feel quite stiff to begin with and fairly unfit. That said, I'd happily have done another couple of miles but that would have been against the rules!

Have a few hectic weeks of work travel, but will squeeze in the physio this Friday so fingers crossed all still good, and that I'll manage to fit in the exercises between conferencing. I am probably gonna do another 20 mins jog this week on a treadmill, don't think it should be an issue... might double-check with the physio however.

Feeling positive about the progress so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You probably only had time for 20minutes between me giving you a “tour” of the Navan Road and Downton anyway! Happy to help :)

More of the same in terms of physio exercises this week. I was in Berlin for work, so had to fit them in around the conference but managed pretty well. They were setting up for the marathon already from the Monday. I definitely would love to run it sometime!
    Decided against the treadmill and only headed out again when I got back to Dublin on Thursday while getting some errands done. Still all felt good.

Back at the physio then on Friday and he was pleased that the calves are much, much looser. I'm allowed run a bit more now, but I'll need to be careful I don't jump back in too quickly! He had said keep them to 20 mins and I already broke that with parkrun yesterday (27.15). I figure that's not too bold though...

Away for work now for 2 weeks in Seattle again, but will definitely be able to get the exercises and runs in. Hoping to get to Renton parkrun next weekend too.
    Crappy timezone difference now for the mentored thread, felt bad enough I wasn't able to help out much this week but should be able to get on more these 2 weeks. Also crap timezone difference for the rugby world cup!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think eoinín and HelenAnne on here have done Renton.
    Enjoy.

Advertisement