Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sun 29th Sept
    Landed about midday, and just went to the hotel gym to do the physio exercises.

Mon 30th Sept
    There is a lovely park nearby, which doesn't allow doggie-woggies, so I headed there for a 5k. The weather was strangely sunny for Seattle, and I loved the run. Wasn't watching the pace and I'll need to start copping on again about that, averaged 9.40/m.

Tues 1st Oct
    Just the physio exercises.

Weds 2nd Oct
    We had a 6am flight down to Long Beach, but then were free about 3.30 onwards there. Made the most of being there to have a run around the marina with a colleague. She doesn't run much, which was probably a good thing as it kept me doing a shorter distance and slower too! 2.3m @ 10.46/m.

Thurs 3rd Oct
    Back to Seattle. Got the exercises in.

Fri 4th Oct
    Just about managed the exercises after team-building at go-karting. Happy to report I was not the worst at all! It is tiring and sore though, especially when some people treated it like bumping cars :D my hip was feeling stiff from it.

Sat 5th Oct
    Stuck to my plans for Renton parkrun, but the easiest way to get there was to jog up and back there, meaning I was doing a lot more mileage than I maybe should? 2.5 miles there, 10.24 average, my hip was giving out a little to start.

Lovely flat parkrun, very friendly crew. It's not a very big parkrun; there were 37 total there yesterday. They had quite a few visitors from overseas also - UK, Wales, New Zealand, Germany and of course Ireland :D
    Finished it in about 25.20, it felt pretty hard too! But the fitness will come back eventually.
    Jogged back to the hotel, 10.11. Was feeling the higher mileage by the time I reached the hotel, but very happy to report there was ZERO giving out from my calves. I was just tired, naturally enough.

Had plans to meet a couple of colleagues for a walk around one of the several trails in the area. We just walked an hour which was plenty after my morning.

Total: 14 miles for the week.

I'm going to stick to a walk in the park this evening I think, don't think there would be anything to be gained from another run this week.

Next week, I'll try get out a couple more times at least before I fly home Friday morning, won't be home in time for parkrun unfortunately!

Planning on hitting up an outlet now when the shops open :) Helllloooooo new running gear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to see your progress. An international runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to see you running again. Happy Shopping.

Mon 7th
    5k @ 10.15/m. Another sunny afternoon in Renton. Legs were feeling it from the weekend still. Followed by the physio exercises.

Tues 8th
    Nothing. Was a long day of training followed by a team dinner.

Weds 9th
    5km @ 10.09/m. So much for slowing it down to appropriate paces. Legs were feeling good though, followed it up again with the physio exercises. Was lucky to get back into my hotel room considering I'd put my work ID into my pocket instead of the keycard :pac:

Thurs 10th
    Another long day of training, and had to pack that night. I came home with more than I travelled over with - the outlets in Seattle are too good! Picked up a pair of Pegasus 33s (loved my old pair) for $50, as well as a couple of Underarmour sports bras for $20 each, and a few winter running tops. I won't mention the non-running purchases :rolleyes:

Fri 11th
    One last 5km around the park beside the hotel, 10.28/m. Slightly more responsible pacing and it felt nice to be doing a run before breakfast. Followed again by the exercises.
    I really liked that park for running, not just because of the views and the no-dogs rule, but everyone in it, walkers and runners said hello with a big smile! Such a friendly spot!

Sat 12th
    Got home about 1pm, and had no intention to run! Afternoon nap followed by Strictly and pizza :D

Sun 13th
    Had mentioned to a clubmate I might join them for a few miles on their LR, but when I woke and heard the rain, that idea went swiftly out the window! Waited until late afternoon to head up to Marlay. Unfortunately so did most South Dublin dog-walkers. It was too stressful to be enjoyable, so I finished at 4 miles. I actually told off a couple who had 2 dogs running around off-lead. It does seem a bit mean-spirited of me, but I don't know why my enjoyment of the park should be ruined by people who can't follow the rules, especially when there is a dog park for that purpose located within the park. Sigh. Average pace 10.16. Right calf was a little tight as I was finishing, but seems ok now.

Total miles 13.4

I'm at the physio again this week. I'd be hoping I'm coming to the end of the repeat visits (thank god my health insurance is decent). I've gotten into the habit of doing the exercises after my runs so I wonder if I keep those up and slowly get back into running at a sensible level will I be ok? I'll mention this to the physio anyway.

Getting excited to support everyone at DCM :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Decent week V.

It’s not that I don’t like dogs, I just don’t bloody trust them.
    I had to stop on my run today until an owner copped on I was behind him (I coughed loudly several times) as I couldn’t run around his dog as he had the leash so far released- zero awareness of others using the footpath.

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote:
    It’s not that I don’t like dogs, I just don’t bloody trust them. I had to stop on my run today until an owner copped on I was behind him (I coughed loudly several times) as I couldn’t run around his dog as he had the leash so far released- zero awareness of others using the footpath.

And it's not that I don't like dogs either, I just think they're all out to kill me! :D
    Those extendable leads are awful.

Great to see you running away and having a good week. With you and F about the dogs. I don’t mind them but don’t know what they are going to do and those bloody leads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm petrified of dogs and it's such a curse tbh, i run mostly on rural roads and they are the bane of my life, i plan my routes around where i know there are no dogs that can come out and i'm still on edge going passed the houses where there are dogs even if i know they can't/don't usually come out :( I know it's ridiculous but if i was a mile from home and i had to run 10 miles in the opposite direction to avoid an unexpected dog standing in the middle of the road in front of me i would.

Anyhow, great to see you back at it. Hope it's good news from Physio this week.

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm petrified of dogs and it's such a curse tbh, i run mostly on rural roads and they are the bane of my life, i plan my routes around where i know there are no dogs that can come out and i'm still on edge going passed the houses where there are dogs even if i know they can't/don't usually come out :( I know it's ridiculous but if i was a mile from home and i had to run 10 miles in the opposite direction to avoid an unexpected dog standing in the middle of the road in front of me i would.

Anyhow, great to see you back at it. Hope it's good news from Physio this week.

Yeah I have a proper phobia myself, running has helped it a lot in that I'm much better around dogs on short leads. It's definitely one of the things I like about running in Dublin though; they don't come running out of gardens! If you notice any of my long runs when I'm in Offaly, they tend to be on one out-and-back route as it's a busy main road! I know the dogs will all be locked up for fear of getting knocked down by a car and hence I am safe :)

Fairly bad week running-wise which is partly down to sore legs after physio treatment, and greatly down to utter laziness.

Mon 14th
    Nuffink. The back tyre of my bike went flat while I was away so had to use the dreaded public transport :)

Tues 15th
    Runmute. 3.5m @ 10.29/m average. My calves started to hurt the way they used to, but when I could run through it, which was extremely annoying and worrying. Stopped at traffic lights about a mile in, and when I got going again, I concentrated on lifting from the hips and they were fine for the rest of the journey. Made sure to do my exercises that night.

Weds 16th
    Physio appointment was supposed to be on this day, but had to reschedule due to work. Think I did the bare minimum of the exercises.

Thurs 17th
    Back at the physio. Mentioned the return of the pain on Tues, despite there having been very little giving out from the calves while I was away, but the physio put it down to the backpack. With that on my back, I was restricting my movement even more. So, no more of the backpacked runmutes for now. Got some dry needling done on the calves and they were VERY tender for the next couple of days.
    I don't have a repeat appointment, and I should only stick to the 5ks for now (really it was 20 mins but I've pushed to 5ks.. tis fine), but I finally asked about the classes they do there. Turns out they have physio-led S&C classes. I've signed up for a month to see how it goes, and the idea is they can keep an eye on how I'm doing and we'll start to increase my running again going by that.

Fri 18th
    Nothing.

Sat 19th
    Decided to try out a different parkrun en route to Offaly, Naas racecourse. Had text my dad during the week to let him know, so he joined me there :) 2.5 laps, pretty flat. I started off about 8.30/8.40 pace which felt very tough at the beginning (and I regretted the mountain of M&Ms the night before :rolleyes:) but I eventually settled into it and even managed to finish feeling pretty strong. Nice parkrun and a nice crowd :)

Sun 20th
    I had intended on heading out for 5k but then... just didn't. Oops.

Total 6.6 miles . Incredible stuff, if you lose the decimal.

Onwards! Not getting into a base plan until I have the go ahead to do longer than 5k at a time. But I will increase the number of 5ks! I did the first S&C class this morning, and will do at least one more this week. Plan is to do 4 x 5ks this week also, and finally run 2 days in a row.

I'll be at Milltown for DCM. I toyed with trying to get to somewhere else as well, but just couldn't figure it as I'd end up missing some of the novices. At least in one spot, we'll hopefully see most people! And then an easy hop onto the Luas to head to McGrattan's :)

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Fairly bad week running-wise which is partly down to sore legs after physio treatment, and greatly down to utter laziness.

Mon 14th
    Nuffink. The back tyre of my bike went flat while I was away so had to use the dreaded public transport :)

Tues 15th
    Runmute. 3.5m @ 10.29/m average. My calves started to hurt the way they used to, but when I could run through it, which was extremely annoying and worrying. Stopped at traffic lights about a mile in, and when I got going again, I concentrated on lifting from the hips and they were fine for the rest of the journey. Made sure to do my exercises that night.

Weds 16th
    Physio appointment was supposed to be on this day, but had to reschedule due to work. Think I did the bare minimum of the exercises.

Thurs 17th
    Back at the physio. Mentioned the return of the pain on Tues, despite there having been very little giving out from the calves while I was away, but the physio put it down to the backpack. With that on my back, I was restricting my movement even more. So, no more of the backpacked runmutes for now. Got some dry needling done on the calves and they were VERY tender for the next couple of days.
    I don't have a repeat appointment, and I should only stick to the 5ks for now (really it was 20 mins but I've pushed to 5ks.. tis fine), but I finally asked about the classes they do there. Turns out they have physio-led S&C classes. I've signed up for a month to see how it goes, and the idea is they can keep an eye on how I'm doing and we'll start to increase my running again going by that.

Fri 18th
    Nothing.

Sat 19th
    Decided to try out a different parkrun en route to Offaly, Naas racecourse. Had text my dad during the week to let him know, so he joined me there :) 2.5 laps, pretty flat. I started off about 8.30/8.40 pace which felt very tough at the beginning (and I regretted the mountain of M&Ms the night before :rolleyes:) but I eventually settled into it and even managed to finish feeling pretty strong. Nice parkrun and a nice crowd :)

Sun 20th
    I had intended on heading out for 5k but then... just didn't. Oops.

Total 6.6 miles . Incredible stuff, if you lose the decimal.

Onwards! Not getting into a base plan until I have the go ahead to do longer than 5k at a time. But I will increase the number of 5ks! I did the first S&C class this morning, and will do at least one more this week. Plan is to do 4 x 5ks this week also, and finally run 2 days in a row.

I'll be at Milltown for DCM. I toyed with trying to get to somewhere else as well, but just couldn't figure it as I'd end up missing some of the novices. At least in one spot, we'll hopefully see most people! And then an easy hop onto the Luas to head to McGrattan's :)

Sorry to hear you are in pain again. See you in Milltown and for drinks after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Crazy what an impact the backpack can have.

Looking forward to hearing how the strength classes go.

You can join me on my base building plan - 18 miles planned for the week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huh, interesting to hear that about the backpack. I'd never have known it would make a difference in that way. Hope you get the go ahead for base building soon.

No one should ever have to regret M&Ms ;)

Oct 21st - 27th

Mon 21st
    Started the S&C classes at the physio place. Was great hearing 10 mins in that we had almost finished the warm-up and I was already wrecked :pac: Nice start to the day though, and feeling positive about them. I do hate the 15 minutes conditioning however - feel close to keeling over often!
    Walked 2.4 miles home to collect my bike.

Tues 22nd
    3.3 miles @ 10.05/m avg. Felt fairly good.

Weds 23rd
    Cycled in to the S&C class. Cycled home.

Thurs 24th
    3.4m @ 10.13/m avg. Honestly, felt so good on this run. Really wanted to keep going but did not as I am trying to be a sensible human.

Fri 25th
    Cycled into S&C again. Dropped the info that my run felt great the night before but the physio didn't take the bait :(

Sat 26th
    I had signed up for my first ever pacer experience at parkrun. 31 mins. It's a very good set up as the night before we got emails with advice on where we should be at with each km marker, especially useful when you lose GPS so much in the forest parts. It was a truly rewarding experience, and I'll definitely try do it as much as I can. Just when I thought parkrun couldn't get any better :D

Sun 27th
    Headed out for another 3.3m @ 10.22/m. First time running 2 days in a row since August! It was grand. Nice to see how the weather was for everyone running DCM also.

I went down to Milltown in time to see all the leaders coming through. At that point, Clohisey was about 10-15 metres ahead of Scullion and they were a fair bit behind the lead groups. Mad how it ended, wouldn't have expected that.
    The first brother through had done his longest prep run the Sunday before DCM, which is fairly unorthodox, and hence I was not shocked that he was in a heap by Milltown :) Second brother had the misfortune of a calf popping at 30k so he wasn't in great shape either coming by. Still, I would kill for their times!!
    It was a wonderful afternoon however, with Huzzah!, juke and Strawberry Swan cheering on everyone we could spot from here, and all the runners in general. We were spotted by a few we didn't know thanks to the sign, so well done whoever ye were! Delighted to see how the novices got on, some had very tough days but put the heads down and made it through. Inspiring stuff.

Total miles: 13.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice patience being shown here - you're going well at being a sensible human :pac:

I loved your strava story of the mother and daughter thanking you for helping them to their PB.

I love pacing Parkrun too. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Glad you enjoyed the pacing. Fair play to you on your work with the Novices Graduates, you did a wonderful job :D

Mon 28th Oct
    After the excitement of the day before, I got out in the afternoon for 5k before the darkness set in! Avg pace 10.13/m.

Tues 29th
    S&C class.

Weds 30th
    3.3m @ 10.13/m avg again.

Thurs 31st
    S&C class in the morning, and cycled in and out to work. As soon as I got home, I headed out for an intended 5k and didn't bother change into more cushioned runners. Left calf started at me about a mile in so I cut off sooner to just do 2 miles. It eased off quickly after getting home, and I'm pretty sure the very flat runners were the culprit. Annoying.

Fri 1st Nov
    Agonising day waiting for the DCM email!! Eventually came through and I registered immediately. Cannot. Wait.
    Celebrated at Cher then :cool:

Sat 2nd
    Up to Marlay for parkrun, ran it with one of the women from the club who's planning on doing Limerick marathon in May. Ended up with a progression run, avg pace 9.18/m. Nothing from the calves thankfully.

Sun 3rd
    3 miles in Offaly @ 10.07/m avg.

Total: 14.6 miles.

I'm away again this week, but thankfully it's a holiday this time :) Hoping to get a few more 5ks in some warm weather! I'm signed up for Run the Line short course on the 16th, hopefully I'll be able to trot a bit of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a great holiday :)

Pitiful week in terms of running...

Gatecrashed some friends' winter sun-holiday in Terenife, but did manage to get to the S&C class on Monday morning before the flight later that day.

Headed out for 5k on the Weds morning and discovered just how bloody hilly the place is. Nice to be in shorts and a vest for running though :)
    Then I managed to get a cold, I think from the fan in the room and possibly also the alcohol. I didn't see the point in pushing more runs with that and when I'm not actually training for something. But I did get out again on Saturday for another 5km, even hillier than the first. Took a few breaks to catch my breath on the hills but actually enjoyed it.

I checked in with the physio who said I can start going a bit beyond the 5k, but will have a proper chat with him this week hopefully. I am thinking RTL this weekend might be a bit silly, although the calves were ok on the hills in Tenerife.

I also booked the Cambridge Half Marathon for March 2020. I visited Cambridge last year, and for some reason got it into my head I'd like to run there so had registered for priority entry at some point as the HM sells out pretty quickly. I got the email at lunchtime one of the days on holiday and had it booked before I knew it :)
    So I guess the rough plan is to base build for the next while, into HM training by the New Year, maybe some 5k/10k stuff in Spring and Summer, and then DCM training.

• Advertisement

It's brilliant to see you planning ahead! You've been very patient. Your rough plan for next year is eerily similar to my own (same distances, albeit different locations) so i'll be look forward to following your training and racing as you progress. Best of luck with it, you deserve a good run at it now (excuse the pun :P).

Pitiful week in terms of running...

Gatecrashed some friends' winter sun-holiday in Terenife, but did manage to get to the S&C class on Monday morning before the flight later that day.

Headed out for 5k on the Weds morning and discovered just how bloody hilly the place is. Nice to be in shorts and a vest for running though :)
    Then I managed to get a cold, I think from the fan in the room and possibly also the alcohol. I didn't see the point in pushing more runs with
    I also booked the Cambridge Half Marathon for March 2020. I visited Cambridge last year, and for some reason got it into my head I'd like to run there so had registered for priority entry at some point as the HM sells out pretty quickly. I got the email at lunchtime one of the days on holiday and had it booked before I knew it :)
    So I guess the rough plan is to base build for the next while, into HM training by the New Year, maybe some 5k/10k stuff in Spring and Summer, and then DCM training.

Tough luck in Tenerife V, the same thing happened to me in Lanzarote a couple of years back. Really frustrating :rolleyes:

I reckon you're going to be the Cambridge HM trailblazer. I'm not aware of anyone I know ever having run it. You're due a break, so fingers crossed the training (and race of course) goes well :)

ariana` wrote: »
    It's brilliant to see you planning ahead! You've been very patient. Your rough plan for next year is eerily similar to my own (same distances, albeit different locations) so i'll be look forward to following your training and racing as you progress. Best of luck with it, you deserve a good run at it now (excuse the pun :P).

Well I did rob that idea for the year off Swashbuckler's post on Lazare's log :pac:
    I'd hopefully do the Craughwell 10 towards the end of March too, sure maybe you'll find yourself at it too :)

Well I did rob that idea for the year off Swashbuckler's post on Lazare's log :pac:
    I'd hopefully do the Craughwell 10 towards the end of March too, sure maybe you'll find yourself at it too :)

I'll definitely be keeping it in mind! I didn't manage any 10 mile this year which was disappointing, it's a super distance and when the half training is done its a shame not to capitalise on it ;)

The plan for this week was to try get 3 hours total running.

Mon 11th
    Headed out for 45 mins. 4.6m @ 10.00/m. Need to concentrate on slowing more me thinks.

Tues 12th
    Cycled into S&C class. 45 min class. They've changed up the program for the month and it felt harder! I do feel like some progress is being made though. Cycle home from work also.
    Friends were stuck for a girl for a tag match so I went along to be nice :pac: They'd no subs so played the full 40 mins and while sprinting felt odd at first, it was great! No bother from the calves so all good.

Weds 13th
    30ish mins run in the rain, 3.4m @ 10.05/m.

Thurs 13th
    Another S&C class, 45 mins. Work drinks that night.

Fri 14th
    Had planned to do another 45 min run, but I was really tired heading home from work and decided to add a couple of pre-parkrun miles the next morning instead.

Sat 15th
    I went to the parkrun in Offaly, did the couple miles beforehand - good lord the cold!!! 10.04/m avg for those. Legs were feeling heavy from the S&C I think for the parkrun, but I was happy enough with the steady effort. 3.1m @ 8.16/m avg.

Sun 16th
    Allowed myself a lie-in :) and also thought it might be warmer by afternoon for a run. I had the great idea to come back to Dublin via the Phoenix Park and do an hour there. 6m @ 10.16/m avg. I really enjoyed this run and felt really good.

Total miles for the week: 19.2 miles, and total time was 3 hours 9 minutes.

Goal for next week is 3.5 hours :)

The plan for this week was to try get 3 hours total running.

Mon 11th
    Headed out for 45 mins. 4.6m @ 10.00/m. Need to concentrate on slowing more me thinks.

Tues 12th
    Cycled into S&C class. 45 min class. They've changed up the program for the month and it felt harder! I do feel like some progress is being made though. Cycle home from work also.
    Friends were stuck for a girl for a tag match so I went along to be nice :pac: They'd no subs so played the full 40 mins and while sprinting felt odd at first, it was great! No bother from the calves so all good.

Weds 13th
    30ish mins run in the rain, 3.4m @ 10.05/m.

Thurs 13th
    Another S&C class, 45 mins. Work drinks that night.

Fri 14th
    Had planned to do another 45 min run, but I was really tired heading home from work and decided to add a couple of pre-parkrun miles the next morning instead.

Sat 15th
    I went to the parkrun in Offaly, did the couple miles beforehand - good lord the cold!!! 10.04/m avg for those. Legs were feeling heavy from the S&C I think for the parkrun, but I was happy enough with the steady effort. 3.1m @ 8.16/m avg.

Sun 16th
    Allowed myself a lie-in :) and also thought it might be warmer by afternoon for a run. I had the great idea to come back to Dublin via the Phoenix Park and do an hour there. 6m @ 10.16/m avg. I really enjoyed this run and felt really good.

Total miles for the week: 19.2 miles, and total time was 3 hours 9 minutes.

Goal for next week is 3.5 hours :)

Well done you! I've no doubt you'll manage the extra 30 minutes 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yay!

Mon 18th
    Started the week off with a cycle to S&C class, cycle home and a 25 min recovery run. 2.3m @ 10.56/m.

Tues 19th
    50 mins easy with some strides thrown into the middle bit. 4.7m @ 10.49/m. Didn't find it hard to slow down, in fact I would say I'd have struggled to go any faster overall. I was a little perplexed by this, but I reckon there is going to be some getting used the S&C effects and increasing the mileage.

Weds 20th
    Total rest day. Fabulous.

Thurs 21st
    Another cycle to S&C class, and cycle home. Had a short window to get a run in before a couple of appointments, so did 35 mins. 3.4 @ 10.18/m.

Fri 22nd
    I knew I wouldn't get a parkrun in at the weekend, so headed out at lunchtime (advantage of a working from home day) for 45 mins and threw in 5 mins tempo. Overall average of 9.59/m, with the tempo bit starting out at 9.00/m but somehow ending up at 8.00/m. I have no idea where my tempo should be at the moment but was thinking comfortably hard was a decent gauge.

Sat 23rd
    No runs, but actually a lot of walking.

Sun 24th
    Planned to do an hour, but that would have left me at 5.75 miles or something, so of course I continued on to 6 miles. 10.39/m average, 64 minutes.

Total miles: 21
    Total time: 3 hours 41 minutes.

This week, the goal is 4 hours.

I found it hard to motivate myself to get out this week which was weird. I'm guessing it's the weather. I honestly can't remember a November as wet as this in all the time I've lived in Dublin. Proper grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I found it hard to motivate myself to get out this week which was weird. I'm guessing it's the weather. I honestly can't remember a November as wet as this in all the time I've lived in Dublin. Proper grim.

Very grim weather, I had semi planned to do a 20 min recovery run last night until I looked out and it was lashing again. It would have been my 4th run in a row in those conditions so had glass of wine and watched crap TV instead:cool:

• Advertisement

Very grim weather, I had semi planned to do a 20 min recovery run last night until I looked out and it was lashing again. It would have been my 4th run in a row in those conditions so had glass of wine and watched crap TV instead:cool:

Great decision. Fond of a bit of crap TV myself, hooked on I'm A Celeb :pac:

Advertisement