Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Well done on the PBs, here's to a great 2020. Many thanks for the mentoring and the flapjacks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote: »
    Fair play for seeing the good that came before the not so good, fantastic attitude. Happy new year, hope 2020 is kind to you x

Thanks, I can't really complain about the second half of the year when it was all my own doing :pac:

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    The very best of luck V with your 2020 goals

Thanks F, sure we'll see what happens!

py wrote: »
    Well done on the PBs, here's to a great 2020. Many thanks for the mentoring and the flapjacks :P

Thanks M, I must make more of them soon but maybe after the extra Christmas lbs have disappeared - they're not the healthiest flapjacks going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

All the best for 2020 - hope you smash your goals !

30th Dec to 5th Jan

Mon 30th
    Met one of my friends for a run around the local parkrun route. I feel like we've done this the past few years now... she's great for the local gossip as well so the run always flies along :pac:3.4 miles @ 9.25/m. Bit fast but probably no harm as a fat burner this time of year!!

Tues 31st
    Headed back to Dublin finally and stopped off at Marlay for 8 x 1 min hill sprints on the way :o Was a bit lazy with the warm-up and cool down (approx 1 mile each) but did the hills on grass which I definitely found harder than on concrete! Paces were: 7.29, 7.06, 7.10, 7.07, 7.13, 7.22, 7.18, 7.29. I started to walk the recoveries after about 4 reps, and considered stopping altogether after 6 but persuaded myself to do "one more" twice. Got it done anyway, that's the main thing.

Weds 1st
    For the first time in about 15 years, I was not desperately hungover on the first day of the year. Very strange feeling :D Doing a parkrun double is a much more enjoyable way to spend the day!!
    Had switched the weeks plan around so the sprints were Tues and 60 mins easy would be the 2 parkruns. Chatted around both with a clubmate, coming in just under 30 mins for both (so technically not 60 mins total but oh well).

Thurs 2nd
    Back to work but thankfully was able to just work from home, so got out in the daylight for the 60 mins easy. 5.7m @ 10.23/m.

Fri 3rd
    Back to S&C class, and it wasn't pretty. Add to that, I was the only one in the class so full focus on me :( No run.

Sat 4th
    The plan had 15 mins tempo, and 10 mins threshold. I used the Jingle Bells 5k to roughly calculate these, and decided to do it as part of parkrun over in Poppintree where my sister was doing her 100th parkrun. About 15 mins warm-up beforehand. The 1st 15 mins were 8.38, 8.44 pace (target was 8.40-50).I skipped the recovery mins, but then also did the 10 mins way too fast @ 8.05, 7.10 (target was 8.15-8.25). I rather enjoyed the stretch of the legs though. Skipped the cool down to go get tea.

Sun 5th
    Up early (for a Sunday) to get the 1 hour 45 mins done. Earphones in as I thought I might need it for the longest run in quite a while but I really enjoyed this. I've been feeling like I lost some pace-discipline as well as fitness the last few months so tried to keep that in mind and think I did pretty well. 10 miles @ 10.44/m.

Total miles: 34.9 (5 hours 52 mins)

Back in the 30+ bracket, whew. Now to stay there!!!

Jan 6th - 12th

Mon 6th
    Cycled into and from work. Was feeling fairly tired and lazy so skipped the recovery run on the plan.

Tues 7th
    Cycled into and from work again, and a morning S&C class. Made it along to club training that night, and instead of the 60 mins easy I joined the 'even miles steady' run, as work was being mental so wasn't sure how the rest of the week would pan out. The wind put paid to any keeping up the pace, but at less there was effort there. 6 miles with the steady miles at 8.25 and 8.24.

Weds 8th
    Forced myself out the door for the 60 mins easy. 6 miles at 10.44/m avg pace.

Thurs 9th
    Another cycle to and from work, and an S&C class. I made sure I got up to club training again as we had a meet & train meeting afterwards to discuss the year's schedule and plans. We had the option of 5 or 8 miles easy. As myself and a few others tried to keep up with the main faster group, we had to call it a day with 6 as we were a bit pooped! 5.5 miles @ 9.21/m avg.
    Interesting meeting afterwards too, will be a fun year ahead for the group I think.

Fri 10th
    Was travelling early to Seattle for work (cheaper to fly than on the weekend sadly) so after getting settled into the hotel, I headed down to the treadmill for 30 mins to help my post-flight tummy :rolleyes:

Sat 11th
    I'm staying downtown again but got myself a rental car this time (I was tired of almost being killed by my colleague's horrible driving the last time), so could choose which parkrun to try out. Decided to try Des Moines Creek which is close enough to the airport. Got there in good time to get in a bit of a warm-up. The plan had 3x8 mins threshold, so I did the 1st rep in my warm-up, intending to finish it out in the parkrun. However, the first half is reasonably hilly so I thought I won't hit the paces, and said I'd run the first half easyish and pick it up for the second half. It actually went better than expected though and I didn't find the 1st half as bad as I expected. 24.33 finish time - the second half is SO downhill, couldn't stop my legs even if I wanted to!
    VERY small crowd of 41 people so getting in as 1st woman wasn't too hard.
    Stuck around for a bit afterwards chatting to the volunteers, they were super welcoming. 5.3 miles for the morning.

Killed some time that afternoon going to see the new Little Women - as someone who adores the books and loved the 1994 film, I was shocked at how much I loved this one. Highly recommend!!!

Sun 12th
    The segments explorer on Strava is very useful when travelling. Saw the loop around Lake Union on it, so decided that would be my long run. Looked like it was going to rain the whole time I was out, but it never arrived. There were so many runners out on the same loop, and quite a few with little running backpacks so there must be a longer route with the lake incorporated. A few of them had their Seahawks colours on too. I felt really good this run, pace was creeping up a fair bit and I had to pull myself back. 10 miles @ 10.24/m.

Total miles: 36.1

I can't believe my luck that they're giving snow here again this week, same as when I was here this time last year which everyone informed me was not normal?! Going to look at the agenda for the week and see when I can schedule in my runs anyway, but preparing that some may need to be on the treadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enjoy the trip. Was there in 2010. Well done on being 1st woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I love running in places other than home! Enjoy and hopefully the snow will stay away!

Jan 13th - 19th
    Mon 13th
    Nothing. The snow started to arrive that afternoon.

Tues 14th
    Headed outside as downtown didn't seem too snowy (when I looked out my hotel window) and back towards Lake Union area I'd run in on Sunday. The paths were icy enough in places, but there were other runners out so I didn't feel totally insane. I will say the concentration levels were very high and I think running on slippier surfaces is not good for the feet - seemed to be subconsciously clenching my toes or something which made them crampy! 5.7 miles @ 10.36/m.

Weds 15th
    It had snowed a lot the previous evening so I'd decided to use the treadmill for a session of sorts, rather than trying to run faster on ice! I don't understand how people can use treadmills frequently... it's tough. As I couldn't seem to program my own session into it, I chose a 1:1 interval session on it - 2 mins easy, 2 mins faster on an incline. I think I did 10 reps? I was sweating a lot. The effort was high, so fair enough for a workout. Had to do. 4.2 miles according to the watch / machine.

Thurs 16th
    Had to head out to the office early so no time for a morning run, and then was flying back that afternoon.

Fri 17th
    Landed about 10am and the intention was to run that evening. However, I also ad to head into the office here in the afternoon for a few hours so I was SHATTERED when I got home. Plus, my left shin was pretty sore so I thought the sensible decision was to rest.

Sat 18th
    The 4 x 8 mins HMP session. Going off the JB5K time, my HMP is around 8.30 (ugh) at the moment so I programmed 8.25-8.40 into the watch to give a decent window. I did it before parkrun, so I could use parkrun as my cooldown and add a bit more mileage making up for the missed run during the week. HMP splits were: 8.26, 8.18, 8.14, 8.35. It was hard to get going again after the 90 seconds recovery each time because it was so cold out, my legs were stiffening up quickly. The last split was slower because I did it mostly on grass, not really down to tiredness. I actually enjoyed it, despite the dread when heading up to Marlay. Nice chatty parkrun then to finish with 9.3 miles total.

Sun 19th
    I was full of good intentions to join the club run, but somehow only woke up about 11.30 after approx 12 hours sleep!! That never happens so I'm guessing my body really needed it. Got out this afternoon for 11 miles, ran it slightly hard to be honest, just kept losing concentration, avg pace 10.09/m. Happy to have it done!

Total miles: 30.3

Busy week ahead with two conferences going on in Dublin that means networking rubbish in the evenings which leads to morning exercise being necessary.. I'm going to have to limit the wine intake! Raheny 5 mile next Sunday, I have no idea how that will go... I'm thinking of heading out at 40 min pace and seeing how it goes? PB is 37.40 but I am absolutely not near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow V!

40 mins does seem like a reasonable goal? Tinman suggests 40:30 based on your Athenry time. Hard to set time targets as you work your way back I'm sure, but sounds like you're in the right ballpark anyway.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    40 mins does seem like a reasonable goal? Tinman suggests 40:30 based on your Athenry time. Hard to set time targets as you work your way back I'm sure, but sounds like you're in the right ballpark anyway.

40.30...god that's depressing! I'm feeling very frustrated with it all this week with the shin and calf acting up again. I feel like I've done everything correctly with a slow build back and doing regular S&C so I don't know what else I can do, aside from giving up running altogether! Tempted to head for a gait analysis or something, it's a long time since I did one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    40.30...god that's depressing! I'm feeling very frustrated with it all this week with the shin and calf acting up again. I feel like I've done everything correctly with a slow build back and doing regular S&C so I don't know what else I can do, aside from giving up running altogether! Tempted to head for a gait analysis or something, it's a long time since I did one.

Sorry to read this. Definitely no harm in getting a fresh gait analysis done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to read this also. I hope you get a pleasant surprise in Raheny today, keeping everything crossed for you.

I sure am a moany Michael this week.

Jan 20th - 26th
    Mon 20th
    Hadn't been able to book my morning S&C because it was booked out - silly January :) I went in the evening instead and it's definitely harder after a day's work, although that might be mainly mental.

Tues 21st
    Out before work for the easy 60 mins. 5.6 miles @ 10.44/m/

Weds 22nd
    Was supposed to be up early again for the session, but my one or two drinks the night before turned into eh a few more and a McDonald's at 1.30am :eek: I went to bed when I got home from work!

Thurs 23rd
    Properly rested, I got up to do Wednesday's session of 8x3 mins @ CV. It went so much better than expected tbh. CV was set at 7.55-8.05/m, and the reps came in at: 8.03, 7.56, 8.06, 7.52, 7.46, 7.55, 7.49, 8.01. Actual discipline lads :pac:
    7 miles total for the morning.

Fri 24th
    S&C before work, and cycle commute.
    I could have done the 60 mins easy but had a rage-filled day at work and just wanted to relax. Probably a run would've helped, but Netflix did an ok job too.

Sat 25th
    Was down in the parents, so headed out to the local parkrun. Couple of easy miles beforehand, then tried to keep it easy for the parkrun. Failed a bit there for the 3rd mile certainly, but actually it ever felt too hard until the last dash cos I was determined to pass a man out. 5.2 miles for the morning.

Sun 26th
    Raheny 5 mile day :pac:

It's so convenient having family living near race locations! I drove to my sister's house in Raheny to park up, and where my brother was in advance of his last race in the Raheny vest :eek: Jogged... his jog pace... down to the start area with not much time to spare, dumped my layers / bag under a tree with his stuff, and wriggled into the start area.

As mentioned my target pace was 8 min miles and seeing how it would go, but intended on being a little slower for the first bit as the initial drag can be your undoing if you take it too hard. The first mile was naturally slower though with the crowds in the race, and having to weave a lot. Came in at 8.12.

Started to hate it already in Mile 2, decided running hard isn't for me and all my running in future will be fun running. Dramatic? Me?! :D Still, found myself running at the pace I wanted and there eventually was some space around me. 7.59.

Mile 3 and I just wanted to get to the halfway point! Any time it started to feel tough I looked at my watch and saw 7.4x and pulled back. eyrie came CRUISING by me somewhere here I think, looking super strong and I was sure she was on her way to a PB! 7.52 on this mile.

I was wondering where we come into St.Anne's now, as I thought it was way sooner in the race. I was tempted to ease up as I'd run 3 hard miles and wasn't that enough? Into the park, and I started to lose it a bit on the avenue. I was tired. Tried to spot people on the other side, couldn't spot eyrie which made me happy as that meant she had pushed on rightly!! Out of the park, and I'm nearly home.. 8.02

I ran up behind two guys, one was encouraging his struggling friend onwards and he had no idea his words were having the same effect on me :) I'd dipped a fair bit into the start of this mile but found myself coming back listening to him. He should be a motivator! Finally came to the 2nd last turn and I kicked on, thought to myself how I am running like this while on the last straight but knew I was under the 40 mins. Looked at my watch when I stopped it and my pace on the last straight was 5.40/mile.... I think I had too much in the tank!!! 7.44 for the last mile.

39.42 chip time... 37.40 is my PB from Raheny 2018. Soooo that's annoying but the race went better than expected despite my mental acrobatics throughout. I think I need to re-learn race hurt. I definitely was holding back at times from looking at my watch, rather than just running. And maybe... the situation isn't as dire as I thought this week :rolleyes:

The chocolate in the goodie bag helps though!

Did a cooldown with the brother who ran a great race after eventually finding him. So many people about! DSD had some day with Hiko's almost record-breaking run, and winning the Men and Women's team prizes, as well as the F40 team prize. I have to say here that certainly those women's prizes owe a certain amount of credit to the wonderful Wottle from these parts. He's doing some fine work with those people. 7.8 miles for the day... and I didn't have ANY noise from my shin or calves...

25.7 miles for the week, thanks to my missed run but let's call it a step back week.

So, with the calf stuff.. going to go get a gait analysis done, probably next weekend as I doubt I'll get anywhere during the week. I'm also inclined to think my form is quite different on the easy miles vs the faster ones as the calf complains more on those so I need to look at that? I'm going to book a physio appointment as well just to get them rubbed down and see what he says.

Well done to all on here on their races today. Some incredible and INSPIRING performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great report V, love the description of the internal monologue I think we all have when it gets tough.
    Congrats on toughing it out and running a super disciplined race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I turned off my 1hr chrome limit to read your report. It was worth it. I love this log. Got my vote for the best in the awards. Great racing all considered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done V great race & race report:)

Great report V, love the description of the internal monologue I think we all have when it gets tough.
    Congrats on toughing it out and running a super disciplined race.

Thanks, I feel like the mile splits are a bit deceptive as my pace definitely was creeping up and down a little wildly at times.

I turned off my 1hr chrome limit to read your report. It was worth it. I love this log. Got my vote for the best in the awards. Great racing all considered

Ah jaysus M are you trying to make me cry! I don't react well to compliments and those are words are too kind and too flattering :) Just tell me to run better next time :p
    But thank you :)

Well done V great race & race report:)

Cheers E! I missed your result in the mayhem of so many on my Strava feed running Raheny today and only checked it now... holy god!!!You are incredible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done ! Great report !

Well done on the run, good result given the physical stuff.
    So, with the calf stuff.. going to go get a gait analysis done, probably next weekend as I doubt I'll get anywhere during the week. I'm also inclined to think my form is quite different on the easy miles vs the faster ones as the calf complains more on those so I need to look at that? I'm going to book a physio appointment as well just to get them rubbed down and see what he says.

What part of the calf has been acting up? Edit: I ask because I've been suffering with one of my calf muscles and it's been the soleus muscle causing issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Since I got scolded on my log, I figured the compliment might bring balance to the force :cool:

Today is a new day: Do better next time! :D

The force sure was strong with Boardsies this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done, you kept on truckin' when the desire to become a fun runner was there - as if that was ever gonna happen :D You'll be back to former glory and beyond it in no time no doubt about it, that was a great run, you surpassed your target ;)

py wrote: »
    What part of the calf has been acting up? Edit: I ask because I've been suffering with one of my calf muscles and it's been the soleus muscle causing issues.

Had to google that... no, my pain tends to be in the 'meaty' (or fat!) part of my calf, so higher up than the soleus. [I feel like a farmer with that sentence :pac:]

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

I suffer similar issues with my calves, it's more to do with pelvic tilt and weak hip flexors. I find pilates has helped massively since I swapped S&C for it

Rossi7 wrote:
    I suffer similar issues with my calves, it's more to do with pelvic tilt and weak hip flexors. I find pilates has helped massively since I swapped S&C for it

You know, that's interesting. My calf issues increased after we moved office and I didn't have the pilates/yoga classes near me anymore (well , the ones I was used to, I'm sure there are more!) I do feel there are benefits to doing both however...if I had infinite funds and free time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report there V ! Much better than expected outcome, in spite of all the mental torture :D Best of luck with physio!

Had to google that... no, my pain tends to be in the 'meaty' (or fat!) part of my calf, so higher up than the soleus. [I feel like a farmer with that sentence :pac:]

Best get to the physio then :) I've picked up this book which may be of interest but will be a few weeks before I get stuck in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a great report, you've captured the familiar race torture (want to slow down/can't slow down) perfectly! And you beat your target (and the race predictors) by a decent chunk while still feeling like you had more to give. Thanks for the mention! :P
    I seriously need to go back to pilates too, ugh.

Jan 27th - Feb 2nd

Mon 27th
    Couldn't get booked into the morning S&C again, so had to go in the evening. My physio was leading it though so good to have a chat about the off and on again calf issues. He's a harder taskmaster in the class, was near dead leaving :o Cycle commute too.

Tues 28th
    Had a day trip to Shannon for work, so plenty of hours in the car, in rotten weather. I really had to force myself out the door as soon as I got back. Easy hour, 6m @ 10.15/m.

Weds 29th
    Work was really not fun this week, and Wednesday was the height of the stress. I really, really didn't want to do the session but again forced myself out. CV session with 12 x 75 secs CV, 60 secs off. I'd upped the CV slightly after Raheny on my watch, but ended up running it way too fast. Window was 7.50 - 8.00, and paces hit were between 7.15 to 7.52, and most towards the lower end.. 5.4 miles total.
    Cycle commute again.

Thurs 30th
    Cycle commute, and S&C before work. I was wrecked again, had gotten the laptop out the night before to do more work and with the early morning, I was mentally shattered. I knew I could squeeze in this run Friday morning however, so didn't mind too much.

Fri 31st
    Got the hour easy in before work, 6m @ 10.13/m. I managed to get a last minute physio appointment too for that evening.. will discuss below.
    136.6 miles for January.

Sat 1st
    Given the intense work week, or even month, I opted for a lazy morning and did the HM session in the afternoon. It was a lovely afternoon in Marlay. I decided to listen to music to distract myself from the expected hardship of the session, and chose a playlist a very camp friend of mine had made - it was the perfect choice :pac: Session was 4 x 10 mins @ HMP, 2 mins off. My HMP is around 8.25-8.35 I think, and my paces were: 8.26 & 8.33, 8.24 & 8.26, 8.21 & 8.00, 8.18 & 8.32. I was very happy with it to be honest. There were the usual thoughts of could I maintain this for a full 13.1 miles right now, but I think I could or maybe even a bit faster.. depending on the next few weeks of course. 8 miles total.

Sun 2nd
    2 hours easy long run. I got the great idea of heading to Phoenix Park for this, and delighted I did. It was a lovely morning with some sunshine even, and I ran in some areas I never have before. Plenty of runners about. I did start to feel fairly tired for the last 30 mins but I'd only had a banana en route to the park so I suspect that was part of it. 11.7 miles total @ 10.15/m.

37.4 miles total for the week.

Following the physio visit on Friday, I have a new set of exercises to try get in!
    We went through where the calf / leg seems to be weaker, or in need of more work with a few tests, of which I know none of the names :) The left is still the weaker and more problematic leg, but the right isn't exactly perfect either. I'll get to work with these for the next 4 weeks, as well as continuing the S&C classes, and re-assess then.
    As well as these, I need to do activation exercises before each run. Pretty much just some resistance band work. I did it Sat and Sun before my runs, and both went fine but as some runs were fine before, I can't say for sure that the exercises were a solution. Anywho, feeling a lot more positive now that there's something like a plan to help them even more. I asked whether a gait analysis would be any use, and he said there's enough to work on now without trying to find a quicker fix from new shoes which may only bring some short-lived relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Seems like positive news on the leg/calf front V- great to hear!

Advertisement