Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a very impressive week V, especially with work being so busy, and on the back of Raheny too. Nice dedication! Although, sometimes there's no harm in skipping a run if you're just too busy/wrecked! Great to hear the positive/promising news on the legs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Feb 3rd to 9th

Mon 3rd
    S&C before work, cycle commute.

Tues 4th
    Easy hour. I tend to keep running until I hit 6 miles for these now, as it's not much more. 10.12/m avg pace. Can't really remember much about this.

Weds 5th
    In an attempt to be a bit more mindful about my days, I worked from home knowing I had an evening of work calls so I could fit in my session mid-afternoon. Worked out pretty well I think. 10 / 7 / 3 mins at threshold - CV pace with 2 mins recovery. Having seen eyrie and misterpaul do this session the day before, they seemed to do the 7 mins at a pace between the two. It was only during the session I wondered if each segment should have progressed in pace from threshold to CV? Doubt it's any harm the way it was done anyway.
    10 mins threshold - target pace 8.12-23 - actual 8.09, 8.17
    7 mins - target pace 8.01-12 - actual 7.58
    3 mins CV - target pace 7.50-8.00 - actual 7.49
    6 miles total.

Thurs 6th
    6 easy, 10.12/m. Picked a different route than I've been doing, really enjoyed this run.

Fri 7th
    S&C before work, cycled in. I'd been hoping to do a few miles today and finally add back a 6th running day, but as soon as I got to the office after the strength class, I knew a migraine was incoming. I tried to ignore it and get lots of water into me and porridge etc but I was gone.. got a taxi home from work and lay in a dark room for the rest of the day. Very annoying. I do wonder if it was the class itself, maybe I was a bit dehydrated and pushed a bit much.. anyway, was grand by 8pm that night again.

Sat 8th
    Plan was 30 mins tempo, and I'd originally planned to do this pre Marlay parkrun, then run parkrun with a friend I'd persuaded to sign up finally :) Of course, Marlay got cancelled with the storm weather, so I ended up running to Bushy, did the parkrun at tempo (i'd say my tempo was only 25 mins but sure look, it will do) and jogged home again. It was a lovely morning! Tempo paces came in at 8.49, 8.23 and 8.19 so the last mile was fast but I felt quite good. 9.4 miles for the morning.

Sun 9th
    I was down in Offaly and the weather was also stinking there. I woke up to the sound of rain pelting against the windows, and then saw messages in the 2018 DCM novices group of others not too sure about running in the morning, made me feel better :pac: In the end, I headed out in the afternoon as there seemed to be a lull in the wind and rain. I wasn't sure how long I'd last, but it was pretty enjoyable running around the deserted streets! I was back near my parents and said I'd try do loops at the GAA to bring me up to the 1 hr 45 mins when the thunder and lightning started... cue a mad dash home!! So 90 mins total, 9.2 miles @ 9.45/m avg. It's faster than I've been doing my long and easy runs but I was feeling really good...

36.8 miles for the week. Happy with that.

It's also been a week of doing the extra calf exercises, and activation stuff before running and I've had almost no issues this week. There is a heaviness sometimes to the left calf but it's different to before, so I think it's a result of the exercises to strengthen it (hopefully anyway).
    Next Saturday has that interesting 4x12 mins @ HMP session...

Feb 10th - 16th

Mon 10th
    Nothing. I didn't even bring the bike home from work (where it had been all weekend) due to the wind.

Tues 11th
    Luas in to the S&C class, cycle home. Out for an easy hour's run then, 6m @ 10.35/m.

Weds 12th
    Session night, 16 x 90 seconds @ threshold with 30 seconds off. First rep I couldn't settle, but it went great after that if I do say so myself. I've a nice route for these which is mostly flat apart from a couple short and steep bits, which I always seem to have timed perfectly in the rest section! 6 miles total for the evening.

Thurs 13th
    Had evening plans so up before work for another easy 6, 10.28/m.

Fri 14th
    Cycle commute and S&C before work.

Sat 15th
    Decided to skip trying to find a non-cancelled parkrun as I think it's just easier to do the HM sessions away from them. Stuck in the earphones for a podcast or 2 and headed out not at all sure how it would go with storm Denis on the rise. I've put 8.25-8.40 as the HM pace, so 4 x 12 mins of those, and I surprised myself by managing fine [8.24 & 8.32, 8.36 & 8.12, 8.27 & 8.24, 8.24 & 8.39]. 9 miles total for the morning.

Sun 16th
    No long run :( I was at a hen on Saturday, and when I got back to Dublin yesterday I was tired, definitely dehydrated and the weather was just shocking. So instead of a long run, I binged absolute sh*te on Netflix and ordered a Chinese :o I am a bit annoyed over the no long run as I think endurance is still lacking quite a bit for me right now. That said, I've basically decided to forget any time (aside from being under 2 hours) in Cambridge and just enjoy a weekend there with friends. I do still want to keep gaining fitness obviously, but I'm not going to put myself under pressure for anything in that HM and get annoyed with myself.

27.2 miles for the week.

Work is probably gonna be a bit hectic this week, as well as some other 'stuff' going on, so forward planning will be vital with getting runs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Your binge on Netflix & Chinese sounds like the perfect substitute for a long run ;)

17th - 23rd Feb

When I thought I'd have to plan around different things for my runs this week, I hadn't factored on not being well :rolleyes:

Mon 17th
    Woke up with a sore throat but still went to S&C, not by bike though. Energy levels were fine, picked up a few drugs in the chemist which actually resolved that particular ailment.

Tues 18th
    This morning's issue when waking was weird pain in my side! We were hosting a workshop in town so I was able to Luas it in but sitting and generally moving about was quite painful. With my usual stupid logic, I still tried a run. It hurt just as much running as sitting, so why would I stop? 6 miles easy, 10.13/m.

Weds 19th - Sat 22nd
    No running or S&C. The pain got worse, was struggling to sleep, went to the GP, seems to be an a female issue, told to rest up a few days so I listened (well, for running, I still went to work). Nice bit of parkrun volunteering Saturday morning to get my fix. I didn't mind resting up too much, but should probably not medicate so much with ice-cream and chocolate.

Sun 23rd
    It was all well gone by Sat evening so I knew I'd be able for a long run today. Met up with a gang from the club in Marlay and we did a nice little route around the park, St. Enda's, Rathfarnham and Nutgrove. 11.5 miles for the morning, 10.12/m avg.
    However, I got another bloody migraine afterwards. Could feel it coming on as soon as I stopped (always get an aura before the headache part hits). I think my hormones must just be all over the place or something :confused: So an afternoon in a dark room, feeling better now if a little groggy, and sad that I wasn't able to drive to my niece's birthday party :(

So a highly impressive 17.6 miles for the week :D 2 weeks to Cambridge. I'll get around it sure.. I'm still frustrated that I'm not back to where I think I was last year, but I am enjoying my running and I probably shouldn't ask for much more than that.

• Advertisement

Feb 24th - Mar 1st

Mon 24th
    Into the S&C class before work. Slowly getting some upper body strength...very slowly :)

Tues 25th
    Only had time for 5 miles easy as opposed to a full hour. I wore the new Vomeros I'd gotten on a good deal for the first time, and honestly my legs felt great and just wanted to bound along. I'm not sure if it was the extra exercises finally paying off, or the shoes, but most likely a combo? 9.42/m avg which was a little too fast for an easy run.

Weds 26th
    Started the day with another S&C. There was a different guy than usual doing the conditioning part and holy god I thought I might pass out! Ugh. Cycle commute also.
    HM session in the evening of 2 x 20 mins @ HMP, 5 mins recovery between. I was dreading this a fair bit, and my legs were feeling heavy from the morning's class. I eventually settled into it, although was hitting faster than planned HM pace at times which I don't think I could maintain for a full 13 miles - right now anyway. I've had 8.30 as an approximate HM pace, and the 20 min reps came in at: 8.23, 8.17, 8.30 and 8.20,8.13,8.16.
    8 miles total for the evening.

Thurs 27th
    Was over to Amsterdam for work so nothing planned and nothing done!

Fri 28th
    Drove straight to Offaly from the airport after I landed (and after a really tense situation on the plane when we landed and a woman needed medical assistance... the nervous atmosphere when the assistance arrived with their face masks!! But apparently nothing to do with coronavirus thank god).
    Headed out that evening for an easy 5 miles, 10.03/m avg.

Sat 29th
    The grads plan had a parkrun as the Saturday session this week. With Storm Jorge knocking about, that wasn't going to make a parkrun on a wind farm too handy :) Still, had to try!
    Headed over to get a couple miles warm-up in beforehand, 9.44/m. I decided I'd not bother look at the watch and worry about paces, but just go by effort. Took off at what I felt was a sensible pace and attempted to tuck in behind some people as the wind was against us for the first mile or so. There were two women and a guy up ahead who I used to finish near last year, so I tried to keep them not too far ahead. Checked the watch when it buzzed for the first mile, 7.52, hmm happy with that.
    We were a bit more sheltered for the start of the 2nd mile, so I just tried to keep the effort up and pass a couple of people between me and the group I mentioned up ahead. I was feeling pretty good still to be honest. Towards the end of this mile, we turned into the wind and this particular wind turbine at this point appeared to be drumming up quite a little storm for itself! I felt like I was slowing right down. Mile 2 was 7.54. Happy with that again.
    Into the last mile and we have the wind on our backs. Time to push and hopefully feel some 5k hurt. I passed another couple of lads along here, but was getting disheartened as the group ahead were also pushing on. Glanced at my watch with about half a mile to go and laughed when I saw 7.10 pace -- clearly the wind was helping massively! I caught one of the women as we turned onto the final straight, with a lovely strong wind behind us now. I was breathing very loudly but still felt strong. I never caught the last 2 I'd wanted to, finished 5 and 2 seconds behind them, last mile 7.11 and 23.42 finish time.

Yes, I had wind help for that finish but I'd also battled that same wind at the start and in the middle-ish, so I think it balances out? I'm really happy with the effort and how strong I felt finishing. That time is also just 25 seconds off my best at that particular parkrun so that's a good thing.
    1 mile cool down to have 6 miles for the morning.

Finished Feb with 126 miles.

Sun 1st March
    I didn't get up early for a run as there may have been prosecco and wine consumed Sat night, and then I headed over to NIA to watch the Indoor Championships. I'd booked the ticket online for 7.50, talk about great value to watch some serious talent! I really enjoyed it. Got way more invested in the pole vault competition than I would ever have expected :pac:
    Headed out for my last 'long' run then, 70 mins although I ended up with about 75 due to my route. 9.58/m avg. Felt pretty good despite the drinks the night before.

32 miles for the week.

Not a huge amount of running this week as a taper for Cambridge on Sunday -- assuming it doesn't get cancelled? There's been no mention of coronavirus on their FB or the emails, but you never know I guess.
    I'm torn between 2 plans for the race itself:
    1. Conservative start of 8.50-9.00 min miles and pick it up halfway
    2. Start at the 8.30 and see what happens? I'm starting to think I'm stronger than I thought I am right now... but I do also just want to enjoy the race.
    I always do this I realise. Say I'll just run it and not care, and then I start to care as it gets closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super park run effort, well done.

All round great training block, best of luck in Cambridge.

(And FWIW i think you owe it to yourself to go with option 2 ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

It’s ok to care and be nervous....that’s a positive thing! Option 2 for me. You’ve done great since your return from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a great time in Cambridge, V!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck at the weekend V, run well!!

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    All round great training block, best of luck in Cambridge.

Dealerz2.0 wrote:
    It’s ok to care and be nervous....that’s a positive thing! Option 2 for me. You’ve done great since your return from injury.

Huzzah! wrote:
    Have a great time in Cambridge, V!

OOnegative wrote:
    Best of luck at the weekend V, run well!!

Cheers y'all :) Seems to be safe from coronavirus still anyway! I'm excited for a new race experience now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck V ! Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

best of luck, have a great weekend.

Best of luck tomorrow V! Run well :)

Very best of luck tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the best today V, give it socks!

Mar 2nd - 8th

Mon 2nd
    Cycle commute and S&C class before work.

Tues 3rd
    45 mins easy, 4.5 miles @ 10.05/m

Weds 4th
    The very popular 6 x 1 mins @ Vo2 race week session! Felt good. 6.6 miles total, avg pace 9.40/m

Thurs 5th
    S&C in the morning (it did cross my mind if I should have dropped this for the race week but only when I was halfway through the class). 45 mins easy in the evening, 4.6 miles @ 10.15/m.

Fri 6th
    Nothing, flew to London. Is Dublin airport always that quiet at 6.30 on a Friday ?!
    My one energy gel exploded in my liquids bag :-/

Sat 7th
    Met up with friends in London for Burgess parkrun, good chats and a few strides on the final stretch. 3.1m @ 9.44/m. A nice brunch and then down to Cambridge on the train to pick up my race number and buy a replacement energy gel. Checked into the hotel, and headed out for a few drinks and some food :) I was quite relaxed about the race the next day.

Sun 8th
    Cambridge Half Marathon

When I mentioned this race first, WW commented that he had never heard of anyone around these parts running it before, so I will attempt to paint a detailed picture of the event!
    I had a decent breakfast in the hotel, although possibly could have eaten more, then back up to the room to change and do some glute activation exercises. I'd forgotten my flipbelt so the gel is stored in my sports bra. I jogged down to the event start as my warm-up, approx 1 mile.

The start
    There are approx 10,000 entrants for this race, so the start is split into 12 colour-coded waves. The start area is in Midsummer Common, which is a giant green area, and well able to accommodate the numbers. I've no idea what time I put on my entry, and am somehow in the 3rd wave. Oh well, it means less waiting around anyway. There's a DJ and an MC who are getting the crowd going, and eventually they call the first 4 waves into their colour-coded areas. We're held there for about 20 mins (in my pen) while we wait to be moved to the start line. I realise I could do with a little tinkle but decide to try ignore it. While there, we get to watch the elites and 1st wave head off which was pretty cool. It was sunny but still a fair bit of a chill, and some wind. We're moved to the start area and off we go...

Miles 1-3 8.24, 8.24, 8.26
    The goal was 8.30 pace and see how I go. The ideal scenario would be picking it up in the last few miles, but I had my doubts as I really didn't think my long runs were plenty or consistent. Anyway, I settled into the pace very easily and was holding myself back quite a bit. The first 2 miles were on the wide main roads around Cambridge, but still had plenty of support around. I was running near / alongside two guys, one of whom was very chatty and excitable and seemed to be pacing the other guy. They were at my pace so I thought I may as well stick with them for a bit. I did not join in excitable guy's antics of jumping over bollards in the middle of the road however. There was a drummer band (?) in the middle of mile 2 - for some reason this kind of thing always makes me speed up so had to pull myself back. Mile 3 was along the river Cam and back towards the colleges. Lots of people out in this area too, clearly the sunshine was welcomed by the locals. I was starting to need the toilet more but missed the portaloos at the first water stop about here, and I didn't bother with any water.

Miles 4-6 8.24, 8.20, 8.26
    We're running through a park now, which eventually brings us into Trinity College. Pretty. It's a bit surreal running with so many people past these amazing buildings. There aren't any supporters in here so you really can't but notice the surroundings. The sun is annoying me now and I could do with some cloud cover. It's not unbearable but just so different to the weather we've all been training in! We leave one college, and have a brief stretch along a narrow street lined with so many people and cowbells, and into the next college then, King's College. More incredible buildings, then back onto a main road. The next mile brings us back over the river again, and past the pub I was in the night before :) I do a quick assessment of whether that has affected me and it seems to be a no! I'm coming near the hotel and where my friend will be standing out now. I'd judged what time I should be going by and told her, and have gotten it pretty spot on, but we seem to miss each other. This gets me down more than I expected and I start to complain in my head about the heat, my left hamstring starts to feel a little tight somewhere here, but really I'm ok. We're heading out of Cambridge now in the section I'd warned myself will be hard as it looked like long country roads on the map, and we were really running into the wind here. I shamelessly tucked in behind a few men in an attempt for cover. I was really in need for a loo now, and was anxiously waiting the water stop I knew was about 6 miles in. I'd seen a guy with a sign saying "Smile if you peed a little" and I didn't want to be that person :o

Mile 7-9 10.24, 8.29, 8.33
    Water station and hallelujah, portaloos. I jog over and in my rushed state take forever to get sorted. I'm slow rejoining as I get my gel out and take it. I wasn't sure if I'd need one, as I didn't train with gels but I'm glad of it. It takes a couple minutes to get back into my stride but I'm back around 8.30 and feeling ok. The hamstring tightness is gone, so maybe the stop worked out well that way. We've turned left so the wind is crossways now, and not so bad. Mile 8 brings us through a cute little village called Grantchester, nice little crowd out supporting here also. There are a lot of local Cambridge athletes running, so they're getting lots of shouts. I'm starting to feel tired now, and it's more of an effort to stay at my desired pace. I'm telling myself to just get to 9 miles... this means getting to a place called Trumpington. As I approach the 9 mile marker, I pick it up again ever so slightly and start to feel ok again.

Mile 10 - 12 8.39, 8.33, 8.58
    There's a sharp turn in Trumpington which brings us back in the direction of Cambridge, and happily means the wind is on our backs. I spot a blade runner up ahead, which is a great reminder to cop oneself on and just get it done! This is a lonnng stretch and I'm playing the get to the next mile marker game again. I'm reminding myself that this is a privilege to be able to travel and run. Into Mile 11 which I know brings me back towards the hotel, but I also know my friend will have headed towards the finish line so no point in watching out for her. There are bigger crowds here now, and I can't help but smile when people shout my name off my race number. It really does boost my spirits, even momentarily. My legs are tired now, and fairly heavy on the quads. Mile 12 is all through the narrow streets of Cambridge, with people so close either side and kids holding out their hands for high 5s! I miss a few and feel bad. I know I've slowed a lot in this mile but I'm still really enjoying myself. I also realise there hasn't been so much as a whisper from my calves this entire race!!

Mile 13 and the .1 8.24
    Finally, the last mile! I'm shattered but want to push on, but also know I can't manage that too soon. We're finishing back at the start area, but to get there they've routed it around the common first. This means you can hear the finish line commentator and the crowds for a long time before you get there yourself. While the mile markers were coming after my watch beeped for most of the race, the last couple of miles have come before my watch beeped so I'm not sure how much I have left. I know I've picked it up a bit already, before turning towards the last straight. I hear my friend cheering me on, and turn to give her a thumbs up. I stretch the legs as much as I can and catch quite a few people on this last straight. The atmosphere was incredible, so many people out cheering.

Chip time : 1.52.24.
    6 mins slower than PB, but I'm not bothered at all. I know my endurance isn't where I'd like it to be, but I can (and will) work on that. Happiest of all is the feeling that my legs are much stronger than they were for Tullamore last August. That's what's gonna let me work on the endurance and pace.

After finishing, we're ushered along from the finish line to where we get our medals, a goodie bag (in a reusable grocery bag) and out to the water being provided by what appears to be the army. There's also non-alcoholic beer. I'd arranged to meet my friend at one of the Meeting Points on the map and it's all so well set up that we're both there quickly and easily and off for lunch and a pint :D

I can't recommend this race enough to be honest. For a large race, it's very well set-up and has a super atmosphere. The course is basically flat, couple of small inclines but you have the matching downhills. The scenery is fabulous too :) With the waves set up as they are, there was little to no congestion which is fairly good for such large numbers. It was £40 for entry, so not cheap I suppose but well worth in my opinion.

Total miles for the week: 32.9
    And apologies for the very long post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great running and glad you enjoyed it V, plenty of time to get the endurance back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Super report V, you have an eye for detail!!

Congrats on a well run race and really toughing it out. Nice starting point for the year to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great race and report V

• Advertisement

Well done V :)

I'm delighted to see you have a positive race experience - it's well deserved and great to hear that the calves behaved themselves too! With the way you've approached your training recently there will be plenty more good days ahead in 2020.

Cracking report too... lots of great detail. WW will approve I'm sure!

Well done V on a great race & race report! I wish i had your eye for detail;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Mar 2nd - 8th

Sun 8th
    Cambridge Half Marathon

When I mentioned this race first, WW commented that he had never heard of anyone around these parts running it before, so I will attempt to paint a detailed picture of the event!
    There are a lot of local Cambridge athletes running, so they're getting lots of shouts. I'm starting to feel tired now, and it's more of an effort to stay at my desired pace. I'm telling myself to just get to 9 miles... this means getting to a place called Trumpington. As I approach the 9 mile marker, I pick it up again ever so slightly and start to feel ok again.

Total miles for the week: 32.9
    And apologies for the very long post :pac:

It's four months since I mentioned that :)
    You did a fine job, not just with the trailblazing, but also with your very detailed description of events :D

Trumpington....Good Lord, how frightfully posh that sounds :pac:

Also Grantchester sounds like somewhere from Roy Of The Rovers....or Viz...however I've just discovered that a TV series of the same name exists...
    No need to apologise! I enjoyed it.
    Hope the recovery is going well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done V.. that was a well run race and echoing others here, a really enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Loved your report, V, and the positivity that shines through. Delighted to hear the calves played ball. No doubt with your dedicated approach to your recovery, you'll be back to where you were in no time.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great running and glad you enjoyed it V, plenty of time to get the endurance back.

Thank you, there absolutely is :)

Super report V, you have an eye for detail!!

Congrats on a well run race and really toughing it out. Nice starting point for the year to come!

I generally don't have an eye for detail, but I made a conscious effort to notice my surroundings on Sunday! I'm going to guess that actually added to the enjoyment instead of focusing on the hardship so much :)

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Great race and report V

Cheers F. I feel lucky the race actually happened..

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well done V :)

I'm delighted to see you have a positive race experience - it's well deserved and great to hear that the calves behaved themselves too! With the way you've approached your training recently there will be plenty more good days ahead in 2020.

Cracking report too... lots of great detail. WW will approve I'm sure!

Thanks A! It really was a positive race experience, I loved it. Hopefully your own issues will get sorted soon. It's hard to be patient, I know.

Well done V on a great race & race report! I wish i had your eye for detail;)

Thanks E! And I wish I had your speed :p

It's four months since I mentioned that :)
    You did a fine job, not just with the trailblazing, but also with your very detailed description of events :D

Trumpington....Good Lord, how frightfully posh that sounds :pac:

Also Grantchester sounds like somewhere from Roy Of The Rovers....or Viz...however I've just discovered that a TV series of the same name exists...
    No need to apologise! I enjoyed it.
    Hope the recovery is going well :D

Yes, all terribly posh indeed! That TV show looks right up my street though... another for the list :D Thanks!

Well done V.. that was a well run race and echoing others here, a really enjoyable read.

Cheers D! It was a lot of rambling I think but hopefully readable rambling!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Loved your report, V, and the positivity that shines through. Delighted to hear the calves played ball. No doubt with your dedicated approach to your recovery, you'll be back to where you were in no time.

Thanks E! I've been working on my positivity to be honest, lots of sh*t going down lately with a few family members in and out of hospital so running is the much-needed release, as well as reminding myself that I am lucky to be able :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm a bit late but I'll join the others in saying i loved reading that report also! Well done and a super time even with a toilet break. I don't think any of us are going to be racing for a while so definitely plenty of time for building endurance back up to old levels and beyond, main thing is you're now injury free and can really enjoy the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Also a bit late in posting but enjoyed the report - well done - great race and a great read !

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm a bit late but I'll join the others in saying i loved reading that report also! Well done and a super time even with a toilet break. I don't think any of us are going to be racing for a while so definitely plenty of time for building endurance back up to old levels and beyond, main thing is you're now injury free and can really enjoy the process :)
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Also a bit late in posting but enjoyed the report - well done - great race and a great read !

Thank you both :) It will certainly be my last race report for a while..

• Advertisement

My routine is to update the log weekly, so I'll continue that to try keep something of my normal routine going the next week (provided we are allowed out running still).

March 9th - 15th
    Mon 9th
    Was flying back from London. Things were still fairly calm about the place.

Tues 10th
    Cycle commute and S&C before work. Legs were tired and heavy from the half but nice to get some stretches in anyway.
    Easy 5 miles that evening, 10.23/m.

Weds 11th
    Cycle commute - going home in the wind and rain was truly miserable :(
    Had plans to meet a clubmate for a run who, at the time, was still planning on a half marathon in the next month, but sure they're all cancelled now. Her planned HMP is 9 min miles, so we did a little session of those. 6 miles total, 9.13/m average.

Thurs 12th
    Risked the bus as the weather had annoyed me on the bike so much. Turned out to be the last day in the office for a while. Went for an easy hour's run that evening, 6 miles @ 10.00/m.

Fri 13th
    I always book the S&C classes maybe a week ahead, so had this one booked. Was in two minds about going, but they'd emailed the night before with all their precautions and with it being such a small setup, I said I'd go in. It was fine, and kept to single use equipment and we were wiping down the conditioning machines before and after use.. still, I'd decided this weekend I won't be going again but they've rightfully closed now. There will be online workouts, so i'll be setting up on the balcony I think!
    Stupidly raided the prosecco that night :(

Sat 14th
    Was desperately hungover. Forced myself out for a short run in the afternoon, just about managed 5k! 3.3m @ 10.03/m.
    Got woken up that night (last night) at 4am with sounds outside, looked out and there was an ambulance outside the apartment block... no idea what was happening but obviously my mind went to one thing. Not great sleep after that.

Sun 15th
    Headed out for a long run to try clear the head. 10 miles around Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan and Milltown. 9.44/m average. I didn't pay attention to the pace really, had the earphones in and just ran, would've done more only I was getting hungry!

Total miles: 30.4 miles.

It goes without saying that it's a very strange, and worrying, world right now. I'm not going near Offaly given I've been out and about so much, and while my parents are fairly healthy, they're not so young anymore. Let's hope we can keep running as I think we'll all need it for our heads.

Advertisement