Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mon 16th
    Tried to establish a decent routine with this working from home malarkey. Up early to do some homemade exercises for 40 mins. Worked it like the classes I was doing in town, think I did well :) Out for an easy 5k that evening for some air, a stretch and general goodness. 3.3m @ 10.22/m.

Tues 17th
    A strange St Patrick's Day. Started the day with an easy hour, 6 miles @ 9.58/m. Then spent the day indoors with my housemates with a homemade quiz, a game of The Lyrics Board (honestly a great game to play over a few drinks), some movies and beers. Could be worse sure.

Weds 18th
    Work is still quite busy, and likely to get busier depending what happens, so it was nice to get out for something of a session that evening. Did the 6 x 4 mins CV session off the grads plans. Planned pace was 7.50-8.00, and my actual paces were: 7.51, 7.49, 8.04,7.46, 7.36, 7.38. Bit fast on a few. Felt good. 7 miles total.

Thurs 19th
    The place I've doing classes have started streaming online workouts, so did the one at 11.30. 100+ squats I'd say. Grim :D
    Easy hour that evening then, 6 miles @ 10.02/m.

Fri 20th
    11.30 workout again - I'm finding it's forcing a good break from work and all the sitting. Heavy on the core :-/
    I wouldn't usually run on a Friday but honestly, the need for fresh air is high and I'm fearful there will be a day in the next while when we lose this freedom :( So I'm taking every opportunity to get a run in. It's really helping the general sense of anxiety too. 3.4m @ 10.06/m.

Sat 21st
    I'd decided I'd do a 'hard' 5k effort as a replacement for parkrun. 2 mile warm-up over to UCD, and then got set to run the 1m loop I see Jerry Kiernan's crew use! I figured I was there early enough to avoid the dogs, but sadly not. It was super windy out by the pitches, so by the 3rd lap I actually switched direction to see if it would help. It did not. 5k was approx 24 mins I'd say. 6.1 miles total, 8.52/m avg pace.
    Home for pancakes and then some extreme cleaning :D and another workout. May as well get the core strengthened anyway!
    Good news that evening when my brother's test was negative. Lucky.

Sun 22nd
    What a beautiful day out. I'd decided 90 mins was plenty for my Sunday long run, given the mileage I'd already added this week. Headed towards the canal and back through Kimmage. I spotted some groups of cyclists who apparently don't need to distance themselves :mad: but mostly everyone on the paths were giving each other plenty of space. 9 miles @ 10.08/m.
    I then drove to Offaly to chat to my parents from my car while they sat a good distance away on a bench in their front garden :) They're not letting anyone in, which makes me sad even though I know it is 100% the right thing. I think it's just because I know for them to have taken it seriously, it means they're a bit scared. Anyway, they were happy to see me and are keeping well!

Total miles: 41.1. My first 40+ week this year. All it took was a global pandemic!

My approach is going to stay the same now, each day as it happens and get out for a run every day while I can. Stay safe everyone, and happy mother's day to all the boards mammies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nice week's running V! Very disciplined with those core exercises too!!!

The start of this week feels like 3 weeks ago... lots of changes and quite an emotional week!

Mon 23rd
    Online workout mid-morning. Finding these great.
    Easy 5k in the evening and my first (and only) unpleasant encounter with a walker. I stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so I could step out on the road but as the cars passed the lady first, she stepped out and I had to move back to the inside of the path but she gave out to me for not stepping out... Apparently I should have removed myself as a problem permanently by stepping out in front of the cars? Smiled at her and said I was waiting for the cars to pass and carried on my way. It made me cross for a good 10 minutes however, especially since I spent good chunks of the run on the road / cycle lane anyway. Decided she would have had an issue with whatever I did, even in non-pandemic times. 3.1m @ 10.14/m.

Tues 24th
    Another online workout.
    Waited until 7pm to head out and the roads were much quieter, which was what I wanted after the previous evening's encounter. However, the downside is I was starving for the whole run :pac: 6.2m @ 10.02/m.
    Home in time to watch the Taoiseach's address and was surprised no further limitations yet really.

Weds 25th
    Aaaand another online workout.
    I wanted to do some sort of a session to break things up. Looked through my Garmin Connect to see what was loaded on the watch already. I spotted the 5,4,3,2,1, session from the grads plan last year which I really enjoyed, and thought "I could change that up again to make it a pyramid"... :rolleyes: yeah, it was hard...! I shall make a fancy table (hopefully) to display my efforts :pac:

Rep Time|Target Pace|Actual Pace|Recovery Time|
    5:00|08:12-08:24|08:05|5:00
    4:00|07:50-08:00|07:46|4:00
    3:00|07:30-07:40|07:32|3:00
    2:00|07:10-07:20|07:12|2:00
    1:00|06:45-06:55|06:17|4:00
    2:00|07:10-07:20|07:07|2:00
    3:00|07:30-07:40|07:30|3:00
    4:00|07:50-08:00|07:41|4:00
    5:00|08:12-08:24|08:14|5:00

I had only intended on a 2 min recovery after the 1 minute, but as I completely flogged myself I needed a 2 min standing break also :pac:
    There is a reason I am not a coach, as that was far, far harder than it looked on paper, although I really enjoyed it so there's that. 8.2 miles total for the evening.
    Best sleep of the week that night!

Thurs 26th
    Took a break from the workouts as I was shattered enough from the session the night before. 5 easy after work was done for the day, 9.56/m. Out to do my grocery shop after 9pm when the shop was nice and quiet.
    I was due to fly out to my best friend in Dubai next month, which I already knew wouldn't happen, but the flights were officially cancelled this day.

Fri 27th
    Back to the workout mid-morning.
    Easy few miles that evening before the new measures came in. 3.4m @ 10.01.
    The address that night took the wind out of my sails a bit, genuine fear creeping in. I worry for my parents who are taking it mostly seriously, but definitely are not taking the advice for all 70+ to stay indoors at all times. They're fairly sprightly and want to stay that way... My brother and his fiancee also postponed their May wedding to later in the year; she works in St Vincent's so its for the best regardless.

Sat 28th
    Up and at 'em and back to trying to stay positive! Out before 7.30am to run within 2km from home and avoid people as much as possible! Decided I'd do a little tempo in the middle of it, 2 miles came in at 8.35 and 8.17. 6 total for the morning. Back home and saw a text in the Novice group from Dealerz 3 miles into his epic 20 miler!!
    Spent the evening in tears as my best friend had her baby in Dubai; all good but it had been an anxious afternoon waiting for text updates!!

Sun 29th
    Another early start for a trot around near home. 8 miles @ avg 9.37/m. I tried to slow up but I was feeling really good so went with it?! Not sure it counts as a brief run, but I saw about 4 other people, and I was prepared to just head for home if the paths got busy. Once I keep that in mind, I think I am being responsible. 10 mins of core work when I got home.

Total miles: 40.1
    I've also now managed to run 16 days in a row which I have definitely never done before! Gonna continue to take each day I can run as a good day and something to be thankful for right now. The plan is to run before starting my work day to avoid being near people. I might have to add a post-dinner 10 min walk though as the days are a bit long when you have all the outdoor stuff done first thing!
    Stay safe and sane folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

ReeReeG wrote: »

There is a reason I am not a coach, as that was far, far harder than it looked on paper, although I really enjoyed it so there's that. 8.2 miles total for the evening.
    Best sleep of the week that night!

Most coaches are speaking from experience. We are just a further cock up or two down the line:p

Have made that mistake plenty of times on fartlek style workouts.

Mon 30th
    Run before WFH (as with all midweek runs this week), 3.4m @ 10.11/m.
    Indoor workout at lunchtime.

Tues 31st
    6.2m @ 10.40/m. Highlight of this run was meeting a couple out running, she went onto the road , he started to tuck in against the wall / hedge which would have left me in the middle until she yelled at him "GET OUT HERE" :pac: he sheepishly obeyed :D
    Another 30 mins workout at lunchtime.

162 miles for March.

Weds 1st April
    Knowing I wanted to do a mile time trial the coming Saturday, I decided to do one of the Vo2 sessions off the grads plans, 6 x 2 mins. Went with 2.30 recoveries. I'd noticed people seemed to be able to get into the sports field across from my house which is owned by a (I believe) private school in town, so I decided to investigate - there is a gap in the fence. I sneaked in myself to do the reps. Definitely harder on uneven grass, but enjoyable all the same. Not sure I'll go in again as it is trespassing in fairness. 6.5 miles total for the morning.
    30 mins workout that evening.

Thurs 2nd Apr
    6m @ 10.00/m. Nothing of note.
    Lunchtime 30 mins workout.
    Great day at work to be fair with something I've been working on for months coming to fruition, so I celebrated with a couple of glasses of prosecco :pac:

Fri 3rd Apr
    3.3m @10.15/m. Still just enjoying getting out at all. Not so amazing day at work with announcements of voluntary layoff schemes, inevitable really though.
    Evening 30 mins workout.

Sat 4th Apr
    Morning of my planned 1 mile TT. 2ish mile warm-up, with the second mile not as easy just to get a bit more ready for faster running. There's a little oval green in a housing estate about 500m up the road which I know from previous sessions is approx 400m in length so my plan was 4ish laps of that (until the watch beeped). Did a few drills and then a Garda car showed up :pac: They drove slowly so I studied my watch, and when I saw them leave the other end I got going! One lap in and I checked the watch, 6.10 pace apparently but I felt good?! Let's keep going, then the Garda car came back and followed me for a bit on my 2nd lap - possibly helped! Lots of heavy breathing now but feeling strong. Finished the 3rd lap to the sight of a woman on the green with a dog off lead so I headed down through the housing estate, pretended it was the last stretch of a track and pushed on, and hurrah a 6.05 on the watch ;) Felt like puking immediately afterwards so I think I did it right. Walked a bit to enjoy the moment and recover, before a 2 mile cool down. Had a nice old cough for a while when I got home and had to assure the housemates it wasn't the plague.

This was also doubling as my max HR check (I can't imagine it being pushed more by the end?!), was wearing my HR strap. Hopefully close enough to work off anyway.

Sun 5th
    Up at 8 to head out for a long run. Again, I was going to play it by ear and cut short if the paths got too busy but they were actually fine. Lots of pleasant hellos and smiles from runners and walkers and cyclists. Actually got chatting to a lovely older man (2m away) who runs with Sanctuary Runners from time to time and knows a few from these parts involved with same :) 10m for the morning, 9.50/m average. Hamstrings a bit tight, presumably from yesterday's efforts so will have a roll on a sliotar later :pac:

40.9 miles for the week. Slightly raging.

Last week of Lent now, have been really good with snacks etc thanks to this so I might actually extend it.. I've actually managed to lose weight the last 2 weeks (some of the weight I gained not running last Sept/Oct), so I'd hate to undo it with chocolate now!!

Before this Covid19 time, my plan was to follow a 10k plan from the Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 book, hence the HR stuff, and I think I'll just do that anyway. The idea was to be ready for Dunshaughlin 10k, but obviously can't see races going again in June. Still, I could get myself ready for a TT or at the very least just enjoy following a different plan. Nothing to lose really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great mile time ! Very well done - speedy !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on the mile TT - it’s a great time alright, and you probably did more than a mile. Lucky you didn’t have to stop in the middle for the Gardaí. :)

Woohoo a new plan with no confirmed target at the end :) The book talks about the guidelines being a combination of heart rate, perceived effort and pace. I focused on heart rate (have a Garmin strap) this week though to give me a better idea of the other two in future. Seemed to tie in reasonably ok with the paces I'd been running as easy up to now. For my own checking back later, here's my heart rate ranges, based off the max HR hit during my mile TT of 187.

Zone 1: 127 - 137
    Zone 2: 137 - 150
    Zone 3: 150 - 163
    Zone 4: 163 - 174
    Zone 5: 174 - 187

Starting the plan this week also allowed for a bit of a step back week which I think was needed right now.
    All runs done in the morning time when the paths are quieter :)

Mon Apr 6th
    Foundation run which is basically an easy run. 5 mins in Zone 1, 30 in Zone 2 and back to Zone 1 for 5 mins. This had me finish with 3.98 miles which was so annoying I reprogrammed all the runs to have an open ended finish for the rest of the week :p Found it easy to get into Zone 2, harder to stay in Zone 1. Never realised before how much my HR shoots up on hills :eek: enough to make one feel very unfit!
    40 min S&C

Tues Apr 7th
    Fast finish run. 5 mins Zone 1, 25 Zone 2 and 10 mins Zone 3. Zone 3 seemed to equate to around HMP for me. It went well, but I did a cool down in Zone 1. 5.2 miles total.
    30 mins of mobility stuff and a bit of core. Much needed mobility might I add.
    I'd signed up to the Breakthrough Cancer fundraiser where you run 2km a day for 20 days as shared by aquinn but I've decided to walk a little 2km loop in the evenings for this. Another chance to get some air after working from home, and also the app for it is appalling. Couldn't be bothered dealing with it on a run.

Weds Apr 8th
    Same run as Monday. Better at staying in the zones this time. My hips were a bit stiff from the mobility work. 4.2 miles. I tried a couple of possible loops for the 5k TT but not sure about them.
    30 mins HIIT.

Thurs Apr 9th
    Foundation run again. All good. No workout as the hips were still stiff and needed a rest. Tried out another potential route for the 5k TT and this one seems better; loop of about 1.5 miles so twice and a little bit :) has one short steep bit but you get that back ... and the paths are super quiet. We'll see! 4.2 miles again.

Fri Apr 10th
    Speed Play run: Zone 1 5 mins, Zone 2 5 mins and then 6 reps of 1 min in Zone 5, with 2 mins recovery trying to get the HR back to zone 1. I did these around a little playing field off the top of my road, only a couple of other runners about and they were only passing through. I found it hard to hit zone 5 on the first rep but it was hit much quicker / easier for the next 5 :pac: I generally only got back to Zone 1 on the recoveries with about 20 secs to go! It was a tough session, but I really enjoyed it. 4.2 miles again.
    30 mins S&C.

Sat Apr 11th
    Amazing sunny morning and surprisingly still fairly quiet when I headed out. Foundation run again but this time I could not keep the HR down at all!! I'd had 3 drinks the night before, and a fairly restless sleep so I wonder if that was it? Not entirely sure I had the strap settled on me properly though. Was practically walking for Zone 1, which did not match with the other days. 4.4 miles.
    30 min easy workout.

Sun Apr 12th
    Long run which was supposed to be Zone 1 for 1 mile, Zone 2 for 4.5 miles and back to Zone 1 for 0.5 mile. I added a bit at the end to make it 7 miles total. HR back to normal and I also had 3 drinks last night - just as a test, ya know. Felt great though in Zone 2, back to feeling fit :) 7.4 miles total.
    This was also my 30th day in a row! Fun.

Total miles: 33.8.

Happy with the week, and I have to say (at the risk of jinxing myself) my legs are feeling great these days. It's been a pleasant month in that respect.

We have at least another few weeks of this, which is only right as it seems to having a positive effect compared to what was forecast originally. I think I have a good routine going at this stage, including calls with friends and family and obviously being able to work from home is such a blessing.

Very happy to be able to have chocolate today :D

Good stuff!

Watch how you've set up your Zone 3 - not sure which book you're using, but the one I used (80/20 Running) has Z3 at 96-100% of LT HR. Z2 is 81-89%, so there's a buffer zone between Z2 and Z3 - mainly to try to maintain a better separation between 'easy' and 'moderate', and also to get you to do those moderate runs closer to LT. I see you haven't built in this buffer so you risk running the moderate runs a little easy (this would explain the Z3 equating to HM pace as you say - I'd expect it to be a bit faster than that).

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice work indeed! I have the same max hr and have used hr training for years
    To keep simple if of any use
    Z1- 120-130 recovery day after hard days
    Z2- 131-150 easy runs (most of your running) but during base training I approach 2 ways
    ---Z2 A) cap at 140 hr during base endurance training to keep the effort at lower aerobic, fat burning intensity
    ---Z2 B) 141-150 incorporating strides or hills to easy runs
    Z3 as yours but limit work in this zone as per MurphD. It's either not easy enough to develop aerobic endurance or not hard enough to develop threshold endurance. The exception being it's a sweet spot for marathon effort
    Z4 as yours for "sessions"
    Z5 speedwork

A mile TT good to find out your max hr but less useful to find your aerobic/lactate threshold

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good stuff!

Watch how you've set up your Zone 3 - not sure which book you're using, but the one I used (80/20 Running) has Z3 at 96-100% of LT HR. Z2 is 81-89%, so there's a buffer zone between Z2 and Z3 - mainly to try to maintain a better separation between 'easy' and 'moderate', and also to get you to do those moderate runs closer to LT. I see you haven't built in this buffer so you risk running the moderate runs a little easy (this would explain the Z3 equating to HM pace as you say - I'd expect it to be a bit faster than that).

Best of luck with it.

Thanks.

Yes, I used that book but the LT calculations confused me so I went with working backwards off max HR... thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to try figure out zone 3 better - slightly raging Zone 3 isn't supposed to feel as comfortable as I thought :)

Nice work indeed! I have the same max hr and have used hr training for years
    To keep simple if of any use
    Z1- 120-130 recovery day after hard days
    Z2- 131-150 easy runs (most of your running) but during base training I approach 2 ways
    ---Z2 A) cap at 140 hr during base endurance training to keep the effort at lower aerobic, fat burning intensity
    ---Z2 B) 141-150 incorporating strides or hills to easy runs
    Z3 as yours but limit work in this zone as per MurphD. It's either not easy enough to develop aerobic endurance or not hard enough to develop threshold endurance. The exception being it's a sweet spot for marathon effort
    Z4 as yours for "sessions"
    Z5 speedwork

A mile TT good to find out your max hr but less useful to find your aerobic/lactate threshold

Oh thank you, this is indeed helpful also!

Yeah I'm not going to lie, LT stuff just confuses me as it feels very science-y and that has never been a strong point with me! I found it more straightforward to try get a max HR and work from that.

Thanks.

Yes, I used that book but the LT calculations confused me so I went with working backwards off max HR... thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to try figure out zone 3 better - slightly raging Zone 3 isn't supposed to feel as comfortable as I thought :)

Ha! Know what you mean! It helps to know LT hr alright. Does MF not provide a method that doesn’t involve a test (can’t remember and my book is in Dublin!)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ha! Know what you mean! It helps to know LT jr alright. Does MF not provide a method that doesn’t involve a test (can’t remember and my book is in Dublin!)

The suggestions are a 30 minute time trial which sounds horrific, a run based on perceived effort from 1 - 6 which seems a bit vague and haphazard, or some form of a talk test. I suppose I could do a talk test within the next Zone 3 run to let me know how much I should push within that. Worth trying, and there aren't many people around in the mornings to witness me talking to myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks.

The suggestions are a 30 minute time trial which sounds horrific, a run based on perceived effort from 1 - 6 which seems a bit vague and haphazard, or some form of a talk test. I suppose I could do a talk test within the next Zone 3 run to let me know how much I should push within that. Worth trying, and there aren't many people around in the mornings to witness me talking to myself :pac:

This is why I never used one of the plans! I kind of wish he’d just gone with max HR.

I love this log, anyway, but I’ll be following along with even more interest now.

I see you’ve put in a time for the TT. Fair play and best of luck with it :)

Huzzah! wrote:
    I see you’ve put in a time for the TT. Fair play and best of luck with it

Thanks E! It'll be interesting anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Very interesting reading about the HR approach, it sounds different to any HR stuff I've tried before (which wasn't remotely detailed, unlike this). Will be keen to see how you find it. Great running the last month, and that mile TT is very enviable! You'll be well set up for when we ever get back to races, I reckon.

Mon 13th Apr
    Foundation run, little later in the morning with it being a bank holiday. I chanced shorts but eh, no, still a bit too chilly for me. I ran the loops of where I'll do the 5k time trial, draggy in parts but should be ok. There are a couple of sharp turns where I'll need to hope there's no one coming walking in the other direction :) 4.3 miles, avg pace 9.56/m, avg HR 139
    40 mins S&C

Tues 14th Apr
    Fast finish run. Up to 12 mins for zone 3. After the tips from shotgun and Murph, I pushed a bit more for this with something of a talk test i.e. talking to myself :) 160bpm seems to be the right part of the zone for me. It felt a little tougher, but still enjoyable. 5.2 miles, avg pace 9.33/m, avg HR 140.
    30 mins S&C

Weds 15th Apr
    Slightly longer foundation run (35 mins zone 2). I got into a really good rhythm for this. 5 miles, avg pace 9.58/m, avg HR 139.
    30 mins mobility and core

Thurs 16th Apr
    The shorter foundation run. I felt great on this, and my form felt really fluid or something.. One of those lovely mornings. 4 miles, avg pace 10.03/m, avg HR 140

Fri 17th Apr
    Speed play run. I headed back up to the playing fields up the road for these reps. 2 mins in zone 4, 2 mins zone 1 (after warm up in zone 1 and 2). This went really well, although I did have to hold myself back a bit in a couple of the reps! I had it in my head it was 6 reps, but actually was only 5 so it was a nice surprise when I discovered I was done :) Paces for the zone 4 reps were between 7.21 and 7.48. I passed an older man about 5 times and he gave me a big wave and a smile every time! I think it helped :D 4.5 miles total for the morning. avg HR 144.
    35 mins S&C

Sat 18th Apr
    Foundation run, and I decided to do the slightly longer one as I was finding the mileage a bit low. Stuck in earphone for this as it was drizzly and music would help lift the mood. Met a clubmate not far from home, was nice to have a wee chat and catch up. 5 miles, avg pace 10.08/m, avg HR 140
    40 mins mobility and core

Sun 19th Apr
    Long run morning. Again, I wanted more mileage than the plan so I took the long run from week 2 of the Level 3 plan.. I'm a bit tempted to just change to that level to be honest. Will study it a bit more this afternoon before deciding. Anyway, this was 8 miles total with 6.5 miles in zone 2, otherwise zone 1. Enjoyed it a lot, and ran around a lot of my 2km perimeter. Plenty of people out this morning, even though it's quite overcast, with a few not bothering to have their dogs on leads :o 8 miles, avg pace 9.52/m, avg HR 142.

Total miles: 36.2.
    37 day streak now :D I think the mobility work is helping the legs cope with the everyday running, proper stretching of the hips and quads and calves etc, as well as the upper body which can't hurt (well it does hurt at times but in a good way :p )

I won't do a Friday session this week, with the 5k TT on Sat morning. Speaking of, I'm considering changing my predicted time.. my PB is 22.40 so the 22.30 I posted does seem like a reasonable time. However, a couple of women in my club did mile TTs this week and were much the same, or slower, than mine and they run 21 min 5ks... Am I aiming too low? I'm not great at 5ks though but I also don't want to set myself up for 'giving up'. I might change it to 22.

I've decided to change to Level 3 but ended up just gradually moving across to it during the week. The week 3 of both aren't all that different anyway really.

Mon 20th
    Easy run, and I decided I'd try do it on grass as the legs were feeling the effects of all the concrete a bit, but after 10 mins or so in the sports ground across the road I'd had enough. The grass was very long, the ground is uneven and with the frostiness my feet got very cold! Back out on the paths to finish the run. 4 miles avg pace 10.31/m.
    20 mins HIIT session that evening.

Tues 21st
    A fast finish run, HR was a bit elevated throughout but not unexpected. Zone 3 was a bit slower for the HR as a result, 8.47 - 9.00 pace. 5.2 miles for the morning. I was feeling pretty tired also.
    35 mins S&C.

Weds 22nd
    I'd slept really poorly so decided to give myself an extra hour in bed and run in the evening. Of course, ended up being a really stressful day of work, and when I headed out I forgot the HR strap, so I just ran. Probably a little hard, avg pace 9.34/m, but it was needed.. especially when I ended up back in front of the laptop for the evening anyway. 4.5 miles.

Thurs 23rd
    Another rubbish sleep, so another "lie-in". It was a better day workwise though so a much better evening run! Back to running by HR for an easy run, still a bit slower but enjoyable run nonetheless. 5 miles, avg pace 10.07/m.
    30 mins S&C (gentler class).

Fri 24th
    Back to morning running, and skipped the planned session with the TT the next day. Easy run, HR back to normal, 4 miles avg pace 9.58/m.

Sat 25th
    Boards 5k TT - 21.56

Ok ok, so I had put 22.30 on the predictions table. But as time progressed, I asked myself why I wasn't aiming for better given the mile TT I did a few weeks back. This remained at the back of my mind all week, and I'd decided I'd set out at 7.00min pace and see how I could hang on!

I'd laid out shorts, day of Irish PBs vest top, and my Nike Zoom Elites (no Vaporflys here). Contact lenses in, race hair ready (i.e. a plaited ponytail :p) HR strap on so I'd see if max HR matched the mile TT. Out of the house about 7.30 for a 2 mile warm-up. I knew I'd push a little on the warm-up to make sure the legs are warmed up a bit better. I did a few drills then as I would for a race and got ready to start this thing.

Mile 1
    I started on a slight incline and hoped this would keep my starting pace sensible, and think that worked for the most part. Settled into 7.00 pace quickly enough and kept it there for the long stretch along bird avenue, took the corner onto my road pretty smoothly and took advantage of the slight downhill past my apartment. The last bit along here before the right turn is pretty downhill, and I'd hoped I'd have good momentum to carry me up the hill a little better - ha, fat chance. And I'd be doing that a second time! My breathing was heavy now, but forced myself to settle on the flat piece of road I was now on. 7.00 flat for mile 1. Jeez V, you're great for sticking to a plan I said to myself.

Mile 2
    About 200m into Mile 2, I hated everything. I had to resort to my tactic of telling myself to get to the halfway point. I've been reading Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor this week, and she talks A LOT about positive thinking so I rather cringely (is that word?) started to try it myself :o I won't share those thoughts! There was more of a drag on this part of the loop than I'd given it credit for but I just kept trying to push on, pace had slipped to 7.03 for the most part. I have no recollection of seeing people near me, so let's hope not? Got along Bird Avenue for the 2nd time, and definitely my best 2 mile split ever. 7.05 for mile 2.

Mile 3
    I had to tell myself not to settle for the consolation prize of a good 2 mile split. Come on now, you can collapse after one more mile (and a bit). Back to the short steep hill, get up it. I can't give up now, imagine how you feel if you break 22? Oh god, is this how 5k are supposed to feel if you're running them properly? I'm never doing this again. I looked at the watch to see half a mile to go, facing the drag before the turn on to bird avenue for the last time. I'd chosen my start point so I'd finish along this straight flat road to allow for a good push like a finishing straight in a race. It didn't work; all I could think was how f*cking long is this road!!! Eventually the countdown for the 5k workout starts and I can stop.. 21.55 on the watch but it rounded up to 21.56 :D

Hunched over my knees, gasping for breath, but I was very happy.
    I think if it was a race setting, I'd have pushed more at the end with people around me etc, but I don't know if I'd have pushed throughout? I had the same thought after the mile TT that I am a terror for telling myself I shouldn't be near such-and-such in a race, they're faster than you, hold back... whereas on my own I'm only racing myself. It's an interesting thing.
    Another thing is the mile TT gives a sub 21 5k time on Tinman. I CANNOT imagine holding a faster pace than I did yesterday (right now) so I don't know what this says about my running. I really don't think I could have gotten much more out of myself than I did yesterday.

Just about managed a cool down eventually, and home to do a bit of decent stretching.
    Wonderful morning watching the results roll on here and on Strava. I was buzzing all day from it, and it reminded my yet again of the wonderful little running community on Boards. Grateful to be part of it, and OONegative give yourself a massive pat on the back for putting it all together. Hopefully a nice few bob rolling into that charity also.

Sun 26th
    9 mile long run, with 7.5 miles in Zone 2. Fab morning, but my legs were definitely feeling yesterday's efforts! They loosened out after a bit and all was good. Avg pace 9.47/m.
    30 mins core and mobility work, followed by yummy pancakes. Loving my Sunday mornings during these times!

Total miles: 38.3. Good week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Another great week there V. You are going great guns. Well done on toughing out the end of the TT. That'd be beyond me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done great report -super running yesterday ! The things we trick ourselves with mid run !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done V. Great training going on & I'm glad to hear you decided you could try for a faster time & you pushed it by the sounds of your race report. Delighted for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great running V. That time was on the cards with your running of late, especially that 1 mile TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats V!

Brilliant achievement to crush your PB in a TT environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Super result V... delighted for you. I think you should take great confidence and belief from that performance. Great training over the last while too, very consistent.

skyblue46 wrote:
    Another great week there V. You are going great guns. Well done on toughing out the end of the TT. That'd be beyond me

I dunno, sounded like you gritted the teeth as well! I feel great these days, I'm relishing it after the gently gently approach in the latter part of last year but sure you know all too well about that.
    Bluesquare wrote:
    Well done great report -super running yesterday ! The things we trick ourselves with mid run !!

Thanks! Yeah it's a constant battle against myself, but I think it's a common human trait sadly. You did great yourself:)
    Well done V. Great training going on & I'm glad to hear you decided you could try for a faster time & you pushed it by the sounds of your race report. Delighted for you

Thanks E! Great job yourself, I can only dream of ever catching you :p
    Great running V. That time was on the cards with your running of late, especially that 1 mile TT.

Thank you! Someday I'll get out earlier in the morning than you.. or maybe not, that's way too early!

Brilliant achievement to crush your PB in a TT environment.

Cheers, but I'm not gonna count it as PB... unless I never break 22 in a race :p
    Pity you didn't feel like giving it a lash, I think you would've surprised yourself.
    Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Super result V... delighted for you. I think you should take great confidence and belief from that performance. Great training over the last while too, very consistent.

Thanks A, it's a confidence booster alright, and happy to build from this. Not that there are any races on the horizon but it's nice to know I'm getting stronger / faster all the same! Hope you get back to normal soon, I can only imagine the frustration at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great report and result V - Well deserved with all the great training you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Just amazing. I have no idea how you managed this. Not the time - I knew you were well capable of sub 22 - but to push yourself like and get it in a TT. I don't even know how that's possible!
    I've been reading Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor this week, and she talks A LOT about positive thinking so I rather cringely (is that word?) started to try it myself :o I won't share those thoughts!
    See I know you said you wouldn't share, but I'm really curious about this! Not necessarily the exact thoughts as I'm sure they're personal/private, but what sort of stuff generally does she say about it?

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Great report and result V - Well deserved with all the great training you are doing.

Thanks, nice to see you're back at it :)

eyrie wrote: »
    See I know you said you wouldn't share, but I'm really curious about this! Not necessarily the exact thoughts as I'm sure they're personal/private, but what sort of stuff generally does she say about it?

Hehh.. I probably won't explain it very well, but a large part of it is replacing the negative thoughts a positive thought. Simple? Not really, as most of us seem to be programmed to find fault with ourselves. One example is, say you're running up a hill. You're probably going to think "this is so hard. I'm so slow etc etc". Instead she says to think something as simple as "look at me running up this hill. I am getting to the top of the hill". Or those times where you're telling yourself "Don't slow down" or "Don't give up" - the "don't" implies some sort of admonition to yourself, so you can think instead "Keep on going" or "Stay at this pace". It's a habit that would take a long time to change, and I'm not sure I would be into all the other elements she talks about when it comes to writing down 5 things you're grateful for every single day.. the task itself would turn into a negative for me :pac:
    I do highly recommend the book though, fascinating to read about her career. Nice to read one by a female athlete also!

Advertisement