Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Interesting! She obviously knows a thing or two about it too. My problem is getting my brain to function at all during a real all-out race effort, so remembering particular things to say might be a challenge! :pac: Probably something that takes practice though like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Thanks, nice to see you're back at it :)

Hehh.. I probably won't explain it very well, but a large part of it is replacing the negative thoughts a positive thought. Simple? Not really, as most of us seem to be programmed to find fault with ourselves. One example is, say you're running up a hill. You're probably going to think "this is so hard. I'm so slow etc etc". Instead she says to think something as simple as "look at me running up this hill. I am getting to the top of the hill". Or those times where you're telling yourself "Don't slow down" or "Don't give up" - the "don't" implies some sort of admonition to yourself, so you can think instead "Keep on going" or "Stay at this pace". It's a habit that would take a long time to change, and I'm not sure I would be into all the other elements she talks about when it comes to writing down 5 things you're grateful for every single day.. the task itself would turn into a negative for me :pac:
    I do highly recommend the book though, fascinating to read about her career. Nice to read one by a female athlete also!

I enjoyed this book a lot. Found it less cringey than expected.

Well done on a brilliant TT. I was delighted to see your time on Saturday. You really took your time and built intelligently after your injury last year and it's great you were able to see the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Well done V. I love following your training and seeing all your hard work paying off.

Thanks for mentioning that book. I've just ordered it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done V. I love following your training and seeing all your hard work paying off.

Thanks for mentioning that book. I've just ordered it :)

Thanks ladies - I’m going to order as well - I deffo need to work on my mind set. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mon 27th Apr
    Easy run, 4.5 miles, avg pace 10.12/m, avg HR 140. Legs were definitely still feeling the 5k TT effort.
    Followed by 35 mins S&C.

Tues 28th Apr
    Tempo run - 5 mins Zone 1, 5 mins Zone 2, 15 mins Zone 3, 5 in Z2, and finish in Z1. Zone 3 was a bit slower pace than previous efforts, but I really think the weekend's effort was still in my legs. Not too bothered by that. 4 miles total.
    35 mins Pilates.

Weds 29th Apr
    Easy run again, 5 miles avg pace 10.12/m, avg HR 143.

Thurs 30th Apr
    I was supposed to be off all week but instead changed it to just Thurs and Friday, so I didn't head out first thing. Was awake early anyway so did 30 mins of core and mobility stuff in the morning, then over to UCD for some easy miles around lunchtime. It was a bit drizzly so not many people about. 5 miles, avg pace 9.53/m and avg HR 144. I needed to clear the head still so did a 30 minute HIIT session in the evening. The Level 3 plan does have the option of double runs or XT as the second activity, which is why I went for it as I'm kind of doing this anyway.

158 miles for April.

Fri 1st May
    Awake again so did an S&C session (35 mins). Out for hill reps after my weekly shopping trip - 10 x 30 seconds hills in Z5, 90 seconds recovery. I headed around to what I thought was a very quiet hilly road but I forgot it leads down to a park and there were a fair few heading down to it either by car or foot. Paces were a bit all over the place, and I had longer recovery after reps 5 and 8 due to dogs of course. Happy to get it done anyway, had been a while since I'd done some. Just 4 miles total.

Sat 2nd May
    The plan had a recovery run, but I really struggled to stay in Zone 1 although the average for the run is just about Zone 1 territory, 137. It felt fine anyway. 5 miles total, avg pace 10.29/m.
    Followed by 40 mins core and mobility.

Sun 3rd May
    Long run with a fast finish.. or "fast" :D 0.5 miles in Zone 1, 8.5 in Zone 2 and 1 mile in Zone 3. Absolutely unreal morning out there, and everyone I saw was in a happy smiley mood! The last mile started on a downhill so my pace was a bit mad, but all good anyway. 10 miles, avg pace 9.36/m, avg HR 146.

Total miles: 37.8 and 51 days on the running streak :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I just read your TT report. Congrats on a great time and PB. We must have been virtually crossing the finish line together :D

Don't dismiss a sub 21 - all it takes is a bit more training #NoHumanIsLimited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Total miles: 37.8 and 51 days on the running streak :cool:

Great to see you running consistently after injuries last year. Keep it up!

Mon 4th May
    Bank holiday Monday recovery run. 4.6 miles @ 10.25/m, avg HR 136.
    40 mins S&C.

Tues 5th May
    I got up to run in the morning, brushed my teeth, looked at my running gear and got back into bed :pac: I think it was the back-to-work blues after a few days off! Got out after work for the Tempo run. I'm not sure the HRM was right as the pace seemed to quick for Zone 3 at times, or maybe I was mostly going downhill. 5 miles total. Followed the run with 35 mins mobility and core work.

Weds 6th May
    Easy run, 5 miles @ 10.03/m, avg HR 141. Felt great.

Thurs 7th May
    Another easy run, a lot slower for the HR this morning however. There was just no zip in the legs although I didn't feel all that tired. 5 miles @ 10.27/, avg HR 141.
    30 mins HIIT in the evening.

Fri 8th May
    I did not fancy hill reps first thing in the morning, so got up before work for 40 mins S&C instead. Headed out late afternoon for the hill reps and headed back to the same spot as last week for consistency. It wasn't as busy, though still plenty of people about, but I was able to do the session without any pauses for people or dogs! I felt a lot more controlled this week, although the paces seem very varied still - but I am inclined to think that's a GPS issue as they felt quite consistent running them. I definitely hit Zone 5 for the 12 x 30 seconds anyway! I really, really struggled to keep my HR in zone 1 for the cool down however. I even stopped and let it settle but as soon as I started jogging at all, it just shot up again. Not sure if this is normal but anyway, tried to stay in Zone 2 at least. 4 miles total.

Sat 9th May
    I set the alarm early for my own Darkness into Light run. I didn't bother with the HR as this was a run just for the head / mindfulness. Beautiful morning, and lovely to see quite a few walkers / runners out in their yellow also. All with big smiles and hellos. A great feeling of community. 4.5 miles @ 9.45/m avg.
    I went back to bed but really just dozed. Ended up going for a long walk in the afternoon to enjoy the sunshine, nice to be able to do that.

Sun 10th May
    I've missed doing one giant loop for long runs so I knew I'd have to get one in as soon as the 5km limit was introduced. I ran into Grand Canal area via the Dodder - one bad incident in there with a little bulldog running after me (not on a lead) and the owner not giving a care. There was exposed water beside me and I can't swim so I felt very trapped and started screaming at her to get it away from me :o eventually she called it back but was also laughing at me, so I again screamed at her that she should have it on a lead! HR spiked quite a bit and took an age to settle.. I eventually calmed down and headed along the canal, where I got a stitch. Stopped a couple times to try settle it but it kept coming back. In through Terenure and round to the Dodder again, where I decided to be brave again and go via the parks.. not realising one area seems to be an actual dog park :rolleyes: I survived relatively unscathed here though! Once out of there, it was into the last mile which was to be Zone 3 and I was surprised I had the energy. 12 miles total, avg pace 9.45/m,avg HR 146. Home for a massive breakfast then :D
    Then an early afternoon spent trying to scrub the decking on our terrace, seems to have improved it slightly anyway, but I expect to have new aches tomorrow! Followed by an afternoon cycle, way chillier by then.

Total miles: 40.3, 58 days running streak. I think I'm going to get to 60 (just for the round number) and take a rest day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great week and fair play for the early run for Darkness into light. I got the tail end of it and there were loads of people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've definitely noticed more people out walking their dogs off lead just on normal roads lately, presumably because there's less traffic and people. Not cool anyway.
    I definitely hit Zone 5 for the 12 x 30 seconds anyway! I really, really struggled to keep my HR in zone 1 for the cool down however. I even stopped and let it settle but as soon as I started jogging at all, it just shot up again. Not sure if this is normal but anyway, tried to stay in Zone 2 at least.
    Very normal, at least in my experience! I often find after a harder effort that my HR won't stay done on the cool down and is much more easily sent shooting back up again. Lingering effort, I guess?

• Advertisement

Another week done...

Mon 11th May
    Recovery run, 4.6 miles @ 10.20/m, avg HR 136. Chillier morning than it had been but still lovely. Followed with 30 mins mobility and strength work, fairly gentle stuff but good.

Tues 12th May
    Tempo run, with 18 mins in Zone 3. Felt quite good, there was a bit of a wind that affected my pace a little but generally felt energetic. This was Day 60 and the end of the running streak :) I felt fine, but just thought I would feel really good after a rest day, and I was fearing becoming a slave to keeping the streak going!
    In the evening, I did a 35 min stability workout off the UnderArmour Running Instgram page (@uarunning). They've had pro athletes share workouts as IGTV videos so I decided to try one instead of my usual watch one while having a cup of tea on the couch :pac: Went for a stability one as I have definite balance issues at times. I really liked it and will likely do it again!

Weds 13th May
    No running! The plan has one rest day every 2 weeks so I'll stick with that now.
    I did end up doing some mobility work though, and went for a walk.

Thurs 14th May
    Easy run, 5 miles @ 9.54/m avg, and avg HR 141. Lovely morning.
    Long, long day in work again :-/

Fri 15th May
    I can't bring myself to do hill reps first thing in the morning, so I got up and did a S&C session. Got out late afternoon for the hill reps which needed to be 1 minute long this week, so I needed a different hill. Decided on up past Dundrum Town Centre, on the side of the road where I never see people walking. Had some surprise company heading up there when one of the women from the club was out on her bike :) 6 x1 minute reps, I definitely felt more controlled again this week. Practice helps I guess! Decent pace and I was hitting zone 5 at the same spot pretty much every rep, as well as reaching the same pole so good consistency. 2 min recoveries. I've noticed though that I get a pain in my right shoulder as hard efforts progress, so say in the last 2 reps today or for the last mile of the 5k TT. It's not a bad pain, more an ache I suppose. I would guess my form slips somewhere as I get tired... its suggested by some of the other novices that this is where core and upper body work comes into but I do a fair bit of that, so I dunno. 4 miles total for the session anyway.

Sat 16th May
    Not the day that was planned at the beginning of 2020 - should have been my brother's wedding and almighty family hooley :( Would have been a grand day for it too. Ah well, everyone is healthy, that's the main thing. The plan had 45 mins Zone 1, but I decided to do an hour and ended up mostly in zone 2.6 miles, vvg pace 9.49/m, avg HR 144. Followed with 40 minutes core and mobility work.

Sun 17th May
    A not very long-long run on the plan :) 5 mins Zone 1, 40 mins Zone 2 and 15 mins in Zone 3 for a fast finish. I was not near home so added another 10-15 mins cool down. 8 miles, avg pace 9.35/m, avg HR 149. I was really happy with this run, pace for zone 3 was fairly decent (for me :) ). It was as usual tough to reduce the HR for the cool down but I at least tried to keep it easy.

Total: 33.2. A nice step-back week, and am now halfway through the plan. I'm enjoying it I have to say. I wasn't sure how I'd like running by HR, but it's pretty good not to be getting hung up on trying to hit certain paces. I'm kind of thinking by the end of it, I should be able to go to the Phoenix Park and attempt a 10k TT on some route or other... and maybe have a socially distanced pacer... cough cough.. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recently started doing this for balance and stability. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_058jkJMj6/

Recently started doing this for balance and stability.

Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen that page before either! Looks like a nice little routine to add :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Even better than playing with the ball. Just stand on one leg with your eyes closed for a minute each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

A tip i once got (on my novice dcm thread way back) was to stand on one leg brushing your teeth! Gets a little balance work in twice a day (at least), multi-tasking at it's best! The graduate plan is to close your eyes - a lot tougher than it sounds :)

Even better than playing with the ball. Just stand on one leg with your eyes closed for a minute each side.

I might have to try this away from anything I could injure myself off falling :pac:

ariana` wrote: »
    A tip i once got (on my novice dcm thread way back) was to stand on one leg brushing your teeth! Gets a little balance work in twice a day (at least), multi-tasking at it's best! The graduate plan is to close your eyes - a lot tougher than it sounds :)

I definitely used to do this, but not sure I ever ended up with good balance. Can't hurt anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dentist: Your gums are healthy.
    Patient: Thanks, probably all that one leg routine. I mean, I've been working on my balance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm kind of thinking by the end of it, I should be able to go to the Phoenix Park and attempt a 10k TT on some route or other... and maybe have a socially distanced pacer... cough cough.. :pac:

I enjoy pacing - depending on your target I may be available for at least some of the route. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    I enjoy pacing - depending on your target I may be available for at least some of the route. ;)

I would absolutely love to take up that offer :D I'd be hoping to be able for sub-45 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I would absolutely love to take up that offer :D I'd be hoping to be able for sub-45 :rolleyes:

Sounds good, should be able for some of it anyway. When are we talking about?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote:
    Sounds good, should be able for some of it anyway. When are we talking about?

Following the plan, it would be the weekend of 27th/28th June. I'd really appreciate any help but not to worry if it doesn't suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Following the plan, it would be the weekend of 27th/28th June. I'd really appreciate any help but not to worry if it doesn't suit!

Following your performance in the spotlight, you'll have a large pace group with you in the park - kinda like Kipchoge in his sub2 :)

Following your performance in the spotlight, you'll have a large pace group with you in the park - kinda like Kipchoge in his sub2

Haha as long as it wouldn't end up like his 1st attempt :)

Mon 18th May
    Easy run, out before the work day. I felt a bit sluggish to start with but felt pretty good by the end of it. 5.3 miles @ 9.46/m avg, 140 avg HR.
    35 mins mobility & strength work.

Tues 19th May
    The plan is into the "Peak Phase" now, so the first of a bit of the speedier work this week. 7 reps of 2 mins in Zone 4, recovery 2 mins in Zone 1. It went pretty well, reps 6 and 7 definitely felt tougher and I was getting tired. I slipped into Zone 5 a couple of times but I don't think the pace went up! Happy enough with it though, 5 miles total for the morning.
    25 mins HIIT.

Weds 20th May
    Easy run again, 5 miles 10.14/m avg pace, 139 avg HR. Legs a bit tired from the day before. Cycled into town that evening to meet my sister in St Stephen's Green for a chat :) One of the few on a bike without a Deliveroo bag on my back :D
    Not so cool were the massive groups of people sitting outside the Barge boozing... social distancing my a$$ :(

Thurs 21st May
    And more easy running. 4.5m @ 10.08/m avg, HR 141 avg. Body felt tired and slow.
    Tried another stability workout off the UA running Instagram (30 mins).

Fri 22nd May
    Having had a midnight work call the night before, there was no way I was getting up early for a run :rolleyes: Out in the afternoon and over to UCD for the 2nd of the week's sessions, 10 x 90 seconds in Zone 5, with 2.5 mins recoveries. I naively thought this would be fine, as there are simiilar sessions in the grads plans - although I guess the prescribed pace in those maybe isn't Zone 5 - but this was really tough! The strong wind didn't help I suppose, although one rep had such a strong gale at my back that I was flying along at 6.10 pace and not even in Zone 5 :pac: I jogged the first 4 recoveries, but then had to walk at the beginning of the rest until my HR settled, and jogged maybe the last minute of the recovery sections. Happy to get it done. 6 miles total.
    30 mins S&C.

Sat 23rd May
    Recovery run, really trying harder than before to stay in Zone 1 for the whole run. As usual, the hill by the Dropping Well was my undoing. I just can't keep it down going up it, no matter how much I drop the pace! I must just walk it one day and see how the HR reacts to that. 4.5 miles, 10.23/m avg pace, 137 HR avg.

Sun 24th May
    Long run with "speed play". I was looking forward to this run all week. 1.5 miles warm-up, then 8 x 0.25 miles Zone 3, 0.75 Zone 2, and cool down. I headed up to Marlay - and I mean UP - because I wanted to check out the mile loop I'm planning to use for the TT next weekend. The first 1/4 mile rep was on a steep uphill and into the wind so the pace didn't change much, but otherwise all went well. The miles really fly along when they're broken up that way. Re the mile loop in Marlay, if there's a wind like today I'd be doing well to sustain sub 7 pace even in some parts! It was lovely to be back in there, even briefly enough, and great to see some familiar faces about the place :) 10 miles for the morning.

Total: 40.5

I enjoyed the week, despite some tired legs. I'll be ditching the Friday session this week with the mile TT on Saturday. I'm not feeling overly confident about my target but I'll try my best to give it a lash anyway.
    The other enjoyable part of the week was the opportunity in the spotlight this week :) Work was a bit stressful and the days have been long, so dipping in and out of the thread was a good reason for breaks and a distraction so thank you all :D

I didn't get a chance to contribute to your spotlight thread but i enjoyed reading it very much! It must take a lot of time over the week so thank you and fair play.

Love the sound of your long run on Sunday, definitely one to build strength.

It's possibly too soon to ask but would you recommend the plan over all? Say in comparison to Grads or other 10k plans you may have experience of?

I didn't get a chance to contribute to your spotlight thread but i enjoyed reading it very much! It must take a lot of time over the week so thank you and fair play.

Love the sound of your long run on Sunday, definitely one to build strength.

It's possibly too soon to ask but would you recommend the plan over all? Say in comparison to Grads or other 10k plans you may have experience of?

So far I'd have to say yes I'd recommend it? I've the book constantly out by my bed to dip into to remind me of the correct way to approach the different runs and sessions (but also to check the planned run, it's all laid out in a slightly convoluted way at times!). Some of the runs or weeks can be a bit repetitive, although that might be more of a reflection of the early weeks being limited to a 2km zone so all my easy runs ended up on the same route for the most part :pac: I suppose we'll see how it's worked at the end of June fingers crossed, or even on Saturday in the TT :o

Seems from some of your posts you're struggling to get into the zone with your running? Maybe trying a new plan will help!?

So far I'd have to say yes I'd recommend it? I've the book constantly out by my bed to dip into to remind me of the correct way to approach the different runs and sessions (but also to check the planned run, it's all laid out in a slightly convoluted way at times!). Some of the runs or weeks can be a bit repetitive, although that might be more of a reflection of the early weeks being limited to a 2km zone so all my easy runs ended up on the same route for the most part :pac: I suppose we'll see how it's worked at the end of June fingers crossed, or even on Saturday in the TT :o

Seems from some of your posts you're struggling to get into the zone with your running? Maybe trying a new plan will help!?

Yup the FRR base plan has got me back into some kind of structure and brought my mileage up a little but i'm definitely somewhat bored of it. It's quite repetitive and i'm struggling with multiple midweek runs of 8-9 miles now at the tail end of the plan - i think it may be more suited to someone who's general aerobic pace is a good bit faster than mine or else i'm just a lazy sod :pac:

I have the 80/20 book but i haven't followed any of the plans. I must take a look again, i remember thinking the layout is a bit convoluted alright but i don't suppose that's a reason to be put off. The ole reliable grads plans are tempting too...

Best of luck with the TT :)

Yup the FRR base plan has got me back into some kind of structure and brought my mileage up a little but i'm definitely somewhat bored of it. It's quite repetitive and i'm struggling with multiple midweek runs of 8-9 miles now at the tail end of the plan - i think it may be more suited to someone who's general aerobic pace is a good bit faster than mine or else i'm just a lazy sod :pac:

I have the 80/20 book but i haven't followed any of the plans. I must take a look again, i remember thinking the layout is a bit convoluted alright but i don't suppose that's a reason to be put off. The ole reliable grads plans are tempting too...

Best of luck with the TT :)

Yeah I found the midweek longer runs in FRR a bit of a mental battle at times, more so when you know you have it at the end of a day, generally they were fine once you got out for them. But it can be draining to have that feeling so often each week? And you are certainly not a lazy sod :D I can only imagine how much tougher it could be after a day of working AND looking after your small people!
    I'd recommend even just reading the book first if you haven't already, there's a lot of good content in it. The grads plan are super as well yeah, you wouldn't be going too far wrong with those. What kind of distance are you looking to work on? 10k?

Yeah I found the midweek longer runs in FRR a bit of a mental battle at times, more so when you know you have it at the end of a day, generally they were fine once you got out for them. But it can be draining to have that feeling so often each week? And you are certainly not a lazy sod :D I can only imagine how much tougher it could be after a day of working AND looking after your small people!
    I'd recommend even just reading the book first if you haven't already, there's a lot of good content in it. The grads plan are super as well yeah, you wouldn't be going too far wrong with those. What kind of distance are you looking to work on? 10k?

I'm tempted to spend a short stint, maybe 8-10 weeks, on 5k training with a view to doing a TT/Virtual race before the end of the Summer. It's a distance i've never trained for specifically and it might be fun! In my mind it's the easiest distance to do a TT/Virtual race. I'd use the Autumn to base build to get the distance up again ahead of racing next Spring - hopefully things will have opened up by then. That's the current train of thought but that could possibly change next week :D I'll dig out that book sounds good, thanks :)

• Advertisement

The weeks are flying by somehow! I'm looking forward to the country hopefully hitting Phase 2 in a week.

25th - 31st May
    Mon 25th
    Recovery run, 4.7 miles @ 10.20/m, avg HR 135.
    35 mins strength / movement stuff.

Tues 26th
    Speedier stuff. 8 reps of 2 mins in Zone 4, 2 mins Zone 1. Felt tough enough, and probably should walk more to get back to the recovery zone. Calves a little tight again as I've not been great with the specific exercises for them. 5.2 miles total for the morning.
    30 mins HIIT, and some proper calf stretching and foam rolling.

Weds 27th
    Easy run, HR was desperate! Probably the warmer mornings I imagine.. 4.97 miles (what was I thinking?), 10.15/m and avg HR 142.
    Headed to meet a work colleague for a bit of tennis, one of the few sports that are permitted again! Nice little activity for a sunny evening. More calf work.

Thurs 28th
    Another easy run, but felt better for this, although the legs definitely weren't feeling too zippy. 5 miles, 10.00/m and avg HR 141.
    35 mins S&C. Worked on the calves again.

Fri 29th
    Having had a super late night call Thursday night (technically early Fri morning :o) I tried to have a lie in but failed thanks to the heat! Got up and headed for a run instead of working right away anyway. I tried to keep it in Zone 1 for the most part, but added a few strides at the end. 3.7 miles, 10.25/m and avg HR 139. Calves were back to feeling good :)

Sat 30th
    TT day! Having spent way too much time the previous wondering about the route we'd chosen up in Marlay, met crisco with the intention of a couple of warm-up miles in the park only to discover it wasn't open yet even for pedestrians! We ran around the perimeter, still no open gates and were trying to think where else we could head when thankfully the gates opened! Praise the lord.
    We were well warmed up at this stage, but had decided on doing the route in opposite directions :pac: eventually decided we may as well just get it done!
    Off I took down a slight downhill apparently feeling like I was aiming for a sub 5.. I'm gonna blame reading Dubh G's log or something :pac: I was determined not to check the watch, but knew about 1/3 in that I was going slower. Just kept trying to drive the legs on, and into the playing fields where I met crisco cruising around - when he gave a shout to keep running I knew he was nowhere near the pain he should have been feeling :D I was breathing super heavy, had glanced at the watch with 0.5 to go and saw 6.10 pace on the watch but also knew I was still slowing. Coming into the last quarter mile and I know I have a little uphill although to be honest I didn't notice it much. I was just trying to keep the legs going. Up towards the big house and praying for the beeps to start on the watch, they eventually do, lower on to the grass and 6.27 on the watch.
    I definitely started too fast - looking at Garmin later it was 4.56 pace, what the hell. You'd swear I'd never run a mile before. Thanks again to the 2 boyos for organising, another fun day on the forum :D
    I do think maybe the mile I did 8 weeks ago was a tad short, which led to my now-ridiculous target but I am also now determined to run a sub 6 mile before the year is out. I don't care, I'm really going to try make it happen.
    Couple of cool down miles in the lovely Marlay. It was so nice (and unusual) to run with company again!!
    30 mins mobility stuff later.

Sun 31st
    Despite a few aperols the night before, got myself up for the long run at an ok time and that I thought wouldn't be too hot yet. Aye. I decided to run up to Blackrock and over to the seafront and head home via the canal. The run was another with the first 0.25 of 10 miles in Zone 3, otherwise supposed to run in zone 2. Early on, I'd a weird pain in my lower back but I think it was from some of the mobility work the day before and it eased out after a while thankfully.
    As the run went on, my pace dropped a lot for the same or higher HR :o Again, I take it the heat was affecting it. I'd brought no water, and 90 mins in I was absolutely parched so I stopped at a Maxol and asked the kind man for a (disposable) cup of tap water. Sound man. He asked was it hot outside, so I take I wasn't actually foamy ;) It is lovely to run in the sun, but not so much if the run is a long run. I found it pretty tough. Anyway, glad I got it done eventually. 12 miles, avg pace 9.59, avg HR 150.

Total miles 41.7
    Total for May 178

Happy enough with the week and the month I guess. Bit of a step-back on the plan again this week which I have to admit I'm happy about!

Advertisement