Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ha ha - I was only doing one last year too and learned so much from it that I had to do DCM and then Clonakilty just happened to be on and then it seemed a shame to not do Cork and Dublin again this year and sure Clonakilty will be on again :D I think you do Dublin ;)
    Dublin 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Dublin 2019!

You obviously never heard of FOMO...I think you'll catch it too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »

It's highly contagious around here ;)

Your training seems to have gone really well. I'm envious that 3:50 seems a comfortable target for your 1st marathon. Well done, will be following the next few weeks with interest.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    ariana` wrote: »
    It's highly contagious around here ;)

Your training seems to have gone really well. I'm envious that 3:50 seems a comfortable target for your 1st marathon. Well done, will be following the next few weeks with interest.

I just think the intensity of marathon training is so much, it would be madness to attempt 2 in a year having never even done one before. Regardless of how well training has gone...
    Thanks ariana, I hope the target isn't too ambitious though!

Also I am terrible at quoting posts neatly :dizzy:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I just think the intensity of marathon training is so much, it would be madness to attempt 2 in a year having never even done one before. Regardless of how well training has gone...
    Thanks ariana, I hope the target isn't too ambitious though!

Not at all. The second one is so much easier. It’s not all new and I found it way easier second time round. Obviously the running still has to happen but I was way more relaxed. You could keep things ticking over until the end of August and then start increasing the long runs again. The fitness will be there already. Dublin is amazing!!!

Week 16: Marathon training
    Mon 16th Apr
    Plan: Rest. Actual: 5 mile recovery run. I knew I couldn't run on Tuesday due to work travel, so I chanced a run the day after my 21 miles, but telling myself to pull the plug if it was the wrong decision. I felt wonderful though, honestly one of the nicest runs. Warm evening, gentle pace... just lovely and relaxing. Average pace 10:11/m

Tues 17th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: Long day trip to UK.

Weds 18th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6 easy. Headed up to Marlay to enjoy the sunshine on this run, took an age to get there though as everyone else seemed to have the same idea. Was a nice run in the end, and I was feeling good. Average pace 9.22/m

Thurs 19th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6 easy. Did this as a run home from work, beautiful evening for it again. Average pace 9.39/m. Also did pilates at lunchtime, where the instructor was easy on me for the first time ever due to the impending marathon! 

Fri 20th Apr: Rest day, but walked in and out from work. Yoga at lunch. Went to physio for a good rub on the legs. I'm not exaggerating when I say she went deep into the hip flexors... I screamed!

Sat 21st Apr
    Plan: 2 easy, 3@MP, 1 easy. Actual: 2 easy, 3 way faster than MP, and .5 easy. Sigh. I honestly tried to keep the pace down and held back as everyone tore off at the start, but there is just something about parkrun obviously that I can't help but push harder. Average pace was 8.10 for parkrun in the end, which is HMP. Not the end of the world I suppose. Only did a .5 cool down cos I was jogging back to meet my Dad, and sure wasn't he headed for a PB so I didn't have enough ground left to make up the full mile running with him! 31.10 for a 72 year old who only started last summer, not bad :)

Sun 22nd Apr
    Plan: 18 easy. Actual: 18 easy. What a morning for it! Did this with an assortment of people from the club, and went up the Wicklow Way again, felt better about it this time actually knowing what it was like! Average pace overall was 10.18/m, so very easy overall thanks to the hilly miles. I also have a lovely red forehead to show for it...

Total miles: 40.9 (gosh darnit)
    Aaand I'm officially into this taper I hear so much about! Not sure what I'll do with the free time (eat probably). Any tips on avoiding typical taper pitfalls will be extremely welcome :)

Wow, I’m impressed at your Dad. That’s amazing.

Taper pitfalls - Hmmmmm - just keep remembering the hard work is done and enjoy not having to do long long runs!

Spend your time researching carb loading and coming up with recipes which at any other point in your training would be bad for you! :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Welcome to Taper Town! I've no advice. I'm the worst taperer ever.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Welcome to Taper Town! I've no advice. I'm the worst taperer ever.
    I love the honesty!

Week 17: Marathon Training.... one week to go
    Mon 23rd Apr: Rest day.

Tues 24th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6 easy, avg pace 9.32/m. Felt good, little tired but nothing I wouldn't expect.

Weds 25th Apr: Rest day, with yoga at lunchtime. 

Thurs 26th Apr
    Plan: 5 steady. Actual: 5 semi-steady? Avg pace 9.08/m. Not bothered much by this, kinda chose to go the social route of chatting to a clubmate rather than pushing that tiny bit more. Pilates at lunchtime also.

Fri 27th Apr: Rest day.

Sat 28th Apr
    Plan: 2 easy, 4@MP, 1 easy. Actual: Not the plan! Did 3 easy, then attempted to go MP but kept misjudging the effort. So I just decided to scrap that after 2 miles, and finish with one cool down mile. Avg pace overall 9.19/m.

Sun 29th Apr
    Plan: 12 easy. Actual: 12 easy (maybe slightly fast at times). Average pace 9.16/m, but to be honest I needed to just run if only to clear my head.

Total miles: 29.3, which seems so low now. 
    Can't believe I am into the last week i.e. this time next week I'll have completed a bloody marathon. Tomorrow is my late boyfriend's 1st anniversary (the reason I am running this marathon) and to be honest my emotions are all over the place. Next week is going to be hard, and emotional, and god knows what really, but I've raised almost 5,500 euro for a cancer ward so I will be finishing that marathon no matter what. I have my goal time of 3.50 but if it gets too tough, I don't care saying that goal will be thrown away (or until another day). The focus of this training has helped me through some very tough months, so I should at the very least be thankful for that.
    Possibly a bit of an overshare above but writing things out has always helped me.

I had no idea. Sorry for your loss. That's an amazing effort on the fundraising, well done. You deserve the day to go well.

I’m sorry to read that. You have done an amazing job fund raising! You will do brilliantly next week. The weather is looking good. Warmer than we are used to but hopefully not too warm. Enjoy the last week of taper. Will be excited to see how you do!

I’m so sorry to hear that. You’re such an incredibly strong person to go through that. Look at how much you’ve raised. If you’d like to share a link to your fundraising page here or by PM, I’d like to contribute.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's inspirational how you have turned something so negative into a positive for you personally to get you through an extremely difficult time and for all the people who will be helped by the funds you've raised. Your boyfriend would be very proud of you and you should be very proud of yourself too, whatever time you finish in x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this ReeReeG. Thinking of you today xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and at the same time full of admiration for what you have achieved during what must have been an incredibly difficult year.

I'd also like to contribute to your fundraising so please do post or PM a link.

I hope you have a great race.

Are marathon nightmares something associated with taper madness I wonder... ?!

Are marathon nightmares something associated with taper madness I wonder... ?!

I think so - all very normal. How are the nerves? Are you all set?

• Advertisement

I'm way more nervous than I expected to be! The weather forecast has put the frighteners on me too

I'm way more nervous than I expected to be! The weather forecast has put the frighteners on me too

Hopefully won’t be as warm as predicted. Are you carrying electrolyte tablets? I halved zero tablets for Dublin and put them into those clear plastic zip loc bags that spare buttons come in when you buy clothes. I put them into the bottles of water every so often on the way round then. Add them to your water the day before too - or for two days even.

Good luck on Sunday, RRG. I'll be thinking of you. You've done some great training. Enjoy!

Best of luck ReeReeG! I hope the weather cooperates and it all goes to plan for you, you've the training done so go out confident in that!

Ah thanks all! Amidst all the nerves and fear, I am actually looking forward to it! Did the training so I'm gonna give this my best shot!

Have a great race on Sunday. Keep it controlled early and finish strong. Most of all take it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck tomorrow. Looks like the weather won't quite be as warm as predicted. Get the water into you before you feel thirsty.....run well.

Hope you are excited and carb loading to beat the band and hydrating! I hope you have a brilliant day and looking forward to your report. We might pass each other on the route somewhere :-)

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hope you are excited and carb loading to beat the band and hydrating! I hope you have a brilliant day and looking forward to your report. We might pass each other on the route somewhere :-)
    Thanks Kellygirl! Have had the unwelcome distraction and stress of my phone dying and refusing to turn on today :( I am basically attached to my phone to my shame, so its hitting me hard!! 
    Feeling calmer about the run now though...!

Advertisement