Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to hear about the job V. Been there myself in the past and it's not nice. Hopefully it all works out, and maybe even leads somewhere new and exciting.

Running wise - the 10k seems like a decent target in the short term... why not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry about the job V. Fingers crossed for you that something new and exciting comes along soon.

You're making great progress running wise. That sub 6 will come before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry about the job situ V. As others have said hopefully something new and more interesting will come down the line for you. No doubt you're a grafter anyhow so that will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the job, I know you enjoyed it. Be good to yourself over the next few weeks. A daily task of running will be good for you as something to keep you motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mon 21st Sept
    Recovery run (ish), 5k @ 9:52/m. 20 mins mobility stuff afterwards.

Tues 22nd Sept
    40mins S&C class. Dug out one of the session from the 80/20 book, 6 x 3 mins in Zone 4. It was a bit of a shock to the system after all the shorter reps I've been doing the last couple of months, but went ok in the end and I even enjoyed it. Reps were between 7.15 and 7.49 pace but there was a wind on my back at times and well against me other times, so it was always going to vary. 5.4 miles total.

Weds 23rd Sept
    Easy 5 miles, 8.57/m. I just keep speeding up on these easy runs, probably should wear the HRM more but it never feels overly taxing. Enjoyed the cooler temps also (for running, not in general).

Thurs 24th Sept
    40 mins S&C in the morning.
    5 easy, 8.56/m. Can't remember anything about this run.

Fri 25th Sept
    Easy 3.4 miles, 9.16/m. The more senisble pace was more to do with red wine the night before than me being smart!

Sat 26th Sept
    Evening easy miles, just didn't bother with a 2nd session this week. 4.5 miles @ 9.05/m. Felt great and might have done more only I was getting hungry.

Sun 27th Sept
    Met my younger brother for a run in Phoenix Park. He's faster than me so I was worried about pace but he was worried about distance as he wouldn't do much more than 5-8k typically, so it balanced out nicely! 8 miles @ 8.41/m avg. Gorgeous morning in the park. I've now managed to get good runs in with 4 of my 5 brothers (the 5th doesn't run.. yet) this last few months, and I'm taking that as a positive of this whole pandemic situation. We never would have organised these things otherwise really and such a great way to catch up.

Total for the week: 35.

• Advertisement

Mon 28th Sept
    I did attempt a proper recovery run but the legs felt good and kept speeding up :rolleyes: 3.2 miles @ 9.39/m avg.

Tue 29th Sept
    Up early to meet a clubmate for a run around UCD. She is quite nervous about the covid cases rising in Dublin again so we were hoping UCD would be nice and quiet, which it mostly was. I jogged over and home so ended up with a longer run than usual for a Tuesday for me! Nice and easy around UCD, but a bit faster to get home. Lovely run. 7.3 miles @ 9.44/m avg.
    S&C class at lunchtime, 40 mins.

Weds 30th Sept
    Easy 5 miles, 9.11/m avg.
    Finished September with 136.1 miles, one of my lower months.

Thurs 1st Oct
    Another lunchtime S&C, 45 mins. Really tough conditioning section.
    Afternoon miles in Marlay which were supposed to be easy but I definitely pushed a little too much at times, 5.1 miles @ 9.05/m avg.

Fri 2nd Oct
    Easy couple of miles in the evening with the thoughts of the 10k the next morning, 2.3m @ 9.30/m avg. Had a nice couple hours strolling around Marlay that morning too :)

Sat 3rd Oct
    A few in the club had arranged that we meet in proper groups over in the Phoenix Park for the virtual women's mini marathon 10k. No more than 15 allowed per group (and max of 2 such groups), strictly no mixing between groups and within those we set off in mini groups of 4. They'd set a route around the acres so 80% grass and minimal disruption to park users really. We'd put down estimate times to try match our mini-groups as well as possible, which I regretted when I realised during the week that the route was mostly grass! I think most of us made that error anyway.
    So, no thoughts of PBs, just trying to get around at a decent effort, especially with the slightly windy conditions when we arrived. I settled into a 7.40 pace for the 1st couple of miles, then surprised myself by increasing a little in the 3rd mile to catch the other woman in my little group who had gotten away a little. We had completed one loop, and just past the 5km mark when something bad (for me) happened.. as we passed a man with a dog, he let it off the lead and I tried to ignore as there had been several dogs off-lead already but they are usually more interested in the park than me.
    Next thing I hear the owner shouting "come back whatever-the-name-was". I see the dog running at my clubmate's heels then it's over to me. I freeze, screaming to get it away from me, hands covering my eyes for god knows what reason and I can feel the dog jumping up on my legs - in all my years of being afraid of dogs, one has never actually gotten close enough to touch off me.. so I was fairly freaked.. it ran off, then came back to me cos I was still frozen in one spot and the owner shouting that its only a pup - so helpful :mad: anyway, evenutally the dog is on a lead but I'm bawling and hyperventilating so had to stop a while :( A couple of men from the club were around to take photos and most know how bad I am with dogs, so came over to check on me. I know it all seems very dramatic, but it is a real phobia.
    After a while, when I calmed down and because I hadn't stopped the watch at first (I seem to have eventually paused it) I decided to finish out the 10km. I wasn't injured so why not. I intended to jog it home but got into a nice pace for the last couple of miles, however forgot to keep going to hit 6.22 on the watch! Elapsed time was 51.50 ish. Ah well. Quite the morning! I did enjoy the route and morning despite my hysterics. I'd happily try it again - with a bodyguard maybe :pac:

Sun 4th Oct
    After a morning of watching very fast people running on telly, I got myself out the door and into the rain. 8 miles @ 8.58/m avg. I really should have taken it easier after yesterday but I seem to have lost all discipline. The HRM and proper pacing returns this week I think..

Total: 38.2 (and I've matched my highest yearly total already)

In other news, I should be starting a new job soon :) It's temp for now but I got lucky with it so delighted really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Cheeky dog owner :eek: Can't believe they didn't apologise. Fair play for finishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

"He's only a pup". Well, put him on a bl**dy lead, then, if he can't behave! Fair play for finishing out the 10k after the fright.

Delighted to read about the new job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Well done for getting your stride on again, you finished strong. Great news on the job front too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Seems the owner was a "pup", more so than the dog!

Well done on the virtual WMM - it surely helped having some company on the way around. I passed your gang before you set off. Also, congrats on the work front :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations on the work front, I’m a 100% dog lover but understand where you’re coming from. The dog owner is a prick, regardless of it being a pup, they seen your reaction and should have acted accordingly. Well done on finishing the VWMM out after that experience. Braver than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

My daughter had a terrible fear of dogs from a very young age, she’d be petrified if one came any where near her.

We decided to try and cure it by getting a young dog ourselves and involving her in the process.

It took a while but the difference now is incredible, she’s on her couch now with the dog asleep beside her.

Congrats on finishing after the trauma

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jesus V, you're having no luck with these 10ks lately! I know another few people with the fear (one of them is a runner) so I understand the reaction. Sounds like a well thought out event, kudos to the club.

Mon 5th
    The HRM returned properly this week, so out for a real recovery run keeping in Zone 1. 3.4m @ 10.17/m, avg HR 135. I also sat down and thought about making a plan for the next while, and decided to give one of the 'fitness plans' in the Daniels book a go. It's 4 phases of 4 weeks so in theory that's well into the new year anyway, but we'll see if I like it. Each 4 week block is the same within each week so I'm not sure if that will get repetitive, or it will be nice to see any progression?! I'll keep the HRM on for all easy miles to bring back some discipline (hopefully).

Tues 6th
    S&C, 45 mins.
    Session of 8 x 400s with 400 recovery. I didn't want to do them at mile pace so aimed for 5kish pace but they came in faster mostly. I walked the first 200 of each recovery then jogged the second bit. I think it's the first 400 session I've actually enjoyed, presumably because I made it more manageable with the target pace :p
    Reps: 1.41, 1.39, 1.43, 1.40, 1.41, 1.38, 1.42, 1.44.
    6 miles total for the day.

Weds 7th
    Easy 5 miles, 9.32/m , avg HR 142.

Thurs 8th
    More easy miles, plan had 30-45 mins plus strides. 4.3 miles @ 9.13/m and 8 x 20 second strides thrown in towards the end.

Fri 9th
    45 mins S&C, tough going. My left hamstring was very tight but the exercises definitely helped so that was good.
    Session in the plan was 4 x 4 mins 'hard' so I decided to have this set as Zone 4. Worked well I think and I actually really enjoyed it. Avg paces were 7.29, 7.28, 7.39, 7.42. Happy enough with it. 6 miles total.

Sat 10th and Sun 11th - Nothing!
    On Thursday my brother who had postponed his May wedding to this weekend coming announced they were moving it forward a week due to fears of level 5... 2 days notice ! I don't know how they managed to get what was needed ready for Saturday but they did it (lots of things went wrong, but not the most important elements I guess, apart from a few missed guests sadly) and a great day was had. Weather also turned out lovely! Anyway, a weekend break from running was only right for an occasion like that :)

Total: 24.8

Starting the new job this Wednesday so will need to figure out running times i.e. will lunch work with expected schedule if I want daylight runs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck with the new job V :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oops, missed the new job news. Congrats and good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the new job V, and the new running plans too. I admire the consistency you've shown this year - nice dedication which will pay off down the road.

Great to hear the wedding went ahead - it's no fun trying to plan a covid wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on the new job V, best of luck with it and your new running schedule :)

What is your current S&C routine?

Congrats on the new job V, best of luck with it and your new running schedule :)

What is your current S&C routine?

Thanks!

Making me feel bad now cos I didn't make it to my S&C class this morning :-/ May do a bit myself this evening to make up for it! Not sure if you mean how often or what I do for it so here's a very detailed answer :pac:

I'm still able to head into the usual classes despite the latest restrictions - as they are physio-led it falls under health as opposed to fitness apparently, plus they have the individual training pods setup which is great and feels safe. Masks when walking through the building etc. So I've been doing 2 a week. I had been adding on some mobility work at home but that's fallen away a little in the last couple of months - may get back into the habit because it all helps.

The class set up is typically 10-15 mins warm-up, which will include exercises to loosen the back and hips, and gentle versions of whatever we might be doing in the strength section. So if we're going to be doing weighted split squats, we'll do a few without weights in the warm-up etc. And they throw in the bloody ski-erg machine to get the heart rate going too.

The strength bit has been progressing nicely since we were able to go back into the place, well I feel I've really gotten stronger anyway. It'll be a combo of 3 or 4 different exercises, usually a nice mix of leg and upper body. For example on Tuesday:
    4 rounds of:
    8 x Goblet squats with a 2 second pause at the bottom, and the heaviest weight we can manage

8-10 TRX reps
    Weighted split squats, 8 each side. (I dread these)
    Renegade Row reasonably heavy weight, 8 each side.
    Always toughest on the last round!

But the exercises vary a lot (i'm sure the usual ones for S&C needs), and they are very keen on people getting the movement right and not causing harm which is obviously important.

I started these classes in Oct last year, and honest to god I couldn't even squat properly, never mind attempt a push-up, so it's been great to see the progress, and I have absolutely felt the extra strength in my running. I'm on track to beat my highest number of miles in a year by maybe 300 miles, and the body is holding up well. I know when I've been a bit negligent towards the pesky left calf, but once I do the bit at home for it, it's back to feeling ok pretty soon.

And then it ends with 8-10 mins of (non-stop) conditioning, which always includes the ski-erg machine these days, and then a mix of high energy and core exercises. This is the bit where I would definitely go easy on myself at home, but there's no hiding in there :) Class is usually about 40-45 mins in full.

So there you have it! Whether you wanted all that detail or not :P

12th - 18th Oct

Mon 12th
    Easy run, but HR not great after a weekend of booze and poor food choices :) 4.6 miles @ 9.51/m, avg HR 142.

Tues 13th
    Morning S&C, 45 mins. Tough.
    Headed over to UCD for the 8 x 400s session. Felt more controlled and steady this week, but the recovery after 3 was longer due to dog issues :-/. Aimed for high 90s: 1.38, 1.37, 1.39, 1.37, 1.37, 1.38, 1.37, 1.35. Bit reckless on the last one! 400 recovery, and same as last week, walked the first 200m then jog the last bit. 6 miles total.

Weds 14th
    Out in the evening after the first day of the new job! 5 easy, HR not great for pace, 9.47/m HR 142. Diet and sleep not the best this week, so will need to look at that (she says as she eats maltesers).
    The most interesting thing about this run was a man who was absolutely HAMMERED as I got near home, hugging a telephone and then stumbling up the road. 7pm on a Weds, in Level 3. HOW?!

Thurs 15th
    More easy miles, but the HRM went right to 170s for the first mile so I'm fairly sure it wasn't working correctly! Ignored it for the rest of the run and probably did take it a bit hard. 8 x 20sec strides thrown in towards the end. Avg pace 9.15/m, 4 miles.

Fri 16th
    Hadn't booked S&C in time to get the earliest class so gave it a miss (and never did any at home after.. tut tut). My new boss encouraged me to go for a run mid-afternoon while it was still daylight, and while I did need to be told twice, maybe even three times, I was delighted to take him up on it!
    4 x 4 mins in Zone 4. I cut the WU to 10 mins, and then into the Zone 4 stuff. Pace was off for the HR compared to last week but I'm not going to overthink it. Paces were 7.54, 8.03, 7.58, 8.03. 5 miles total.

Sat 17th
    Morning walk around Bohernabreena, will definitely have to try make it back there for a run around it.
    Eventually got myself out for a short run in the evening, 3.4 miles @ 9.20/m. Didn't bother with the HRM.

Sun 18th
    Plan had 60-90 mins, so settled for an 8 mile loop I've used before. HR was awful again... and really shooting up on the slightest inclines. I'd love to blame the monitor but I don't think so. Anyway, will aim for more sleep this week and we'll see how I am. 8.1 miles @ 9.33/m, avg HR 147.

Total: 36.2 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hmmm so its classes.. if it was lock down would you have the discipline to do it on your own?!

Hmmm so its classes.. if it was lock down would you have the discipline to do it on your own?!

Wellll I did keep up home stuff during the initial lockdown, at least 2 S&C sessions and one mobility per week. That said, motivation levels are very different on spring days vs winter days so let's see how it would go if I was forced to try do that again! I only have a couple of small weights at home too, so was mainly bodyweight stuff but to be honest that worked out fine.

Mon 19th
    Recovery run trying to keep HR in 130s, mostly achieved. 4.3 miles @ 9.56/m avg, HR 137. Did a short ten mins of mobility stuff when I got home.

Tues 20th
    40 mins S&C at home.
    400s session. I'd planned on doing it in an estate around a green thats approx 400m so I could avoid the fast people in UCD on Tues evenings, but when I got to the green it was busy with about 4 families and their dogs. Nein danke. Down to UCD instead, where there were about 4 different large groups of runners and in every spot possible it seemed! Still, managed to get the session done with no interruptions.
    1.38, 1.38, 1.36, 1.35, 1.37, 1.39, 1.38, 1.38. 400m recovery as usual with the first 200m walked. Happy enough, and 6.4 miles total.

Weds 21st
    Easy miles, but found it hard to keep the HR down at times.5.5 miles @ 9.29/m, avg HR 143.

Thurs 22nd
    More easy miles, but with a few strides. 4 miles @ 9.06/m avg, HR 141. 8 x 20 sec strides.

Fri 23rd
    40 mins S&C at home again.
    4 x 4 mins hard, off 3 mins, with hard meaning Zone 4 for me. First rep got interrupted with a video call to sing happy birthday to my niece :) Paces for the reps: 7.38, 7.39, 7.47, 7.54. Bit tired for the last one, but happier with it this week overall. Enjoy that session to be honest. 5.6 miles total.

Sat 24th
    Easy morning run, well planned to be easy. Forgot the HRM and it ended up being a progression run accidentally. I felt good. 4 miles @ 9.12/m avg.

Sun 25th
    Decided the other day I'd try do 13.1 miles for my long run for the day that's in it. Don't think I've hit this distance since the end of July so no times to be beaten, I just wanted to enjoy it and I did. What a morning! I was stopping a good bit to check my phone as 2 of the brothers were doing the virtual DCM so the elapsed and actual time have a massive difference :pac: Sped up a bit as I went along at times but I just went with it. 13.1 miles @ 8.47/m avg.

Total: 43.1.

Well done to everyone who completed the virtual marathon this weekend. I'm in awe!!! You're all superstars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Fri 23rd

4 x 4 mins hard, off 3 mins, with hard meaning Zone 4 for me. First rep got interrupted with a video call to sing happy birthday to my niece :) Paces for the reps: 7.38, 7.39, 7.47, 7.54. Bit tired for the last one, but happier with it this week overall. Enjoy that session to be honest. 5.6 miles total.

This session jumped out at me on Strava as looking like good fun.

Is it a Daniels plan you're using? How're you finding it so far?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    This session jumped out at me on Strava as looking like good fun.

Is it a Daniels plan you're using? How're you finding it so far?

Yeah, it's just a Daniels 'fitness plan' as its called in the book. With no races to aim for, or no idea what distance I'd want to target, I figured I may as well just keep ticking over with a view to building mileage a bit more consistently. It's grand so far, that's 3 weeks done and next week will be the same. Then the next 4 week block changes up a little. No harm having some routine at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, it's just a Daniels 'fitness plan' as its called in the book. With no races to aim for, or no idea what distance I'd want to target, I figured I may as well just keep ticking over with a view to building mileage a bit more consistently. It's grand so far, that's 3 weeks done and next week will be the same. Then the next 4 week block changes up a little. No harm having some routine at the moment.

Do you know if its available on line or is it only in the book?

Sounds like a nice plan to enjoy over the winter.

crisco10 wrote:
    Do you know if its available on line or is it only in the book?

No clue about online, I just love buying books:) I can send pics of the plan if that's any use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

No clue about online, I just love buying books:) I can send pics of the plan if that's any use

if ya wouldn't mind...;-) if its not a trek obviously.

Mon 26th
    Recovery run in the afternoon, 3.4 miles @ 9.49/m, avg HR 136. Enjoyable bank holiday run.

Tues 27th
    400s session again. This time, with the evening now darker earlier, I was able to use the loop around a green in a local estate without fear of doggywoggies. I've done all previous 400 sessions, both recently and when I was mile training, on grass so the difference in doing them on a hard surface was noticeable. Still, it was nice to feel pretty strong. Also doing them on a loop instead of up and down a stretch in UCD made the whole session feel smoother.
    Reps: 1.37, 1.38, 1.36, 1.34, 1.34, 1.31, 1.30, 1.31. Did the usual walk 200m, jog 200m for recoveries. 6 miles total for the evening.

Weds 28th
    Poor planning of my day meant evening S&C, and a run in and out. 2.4m in, 9.50/m avg HR 144. Not so good on the way home, 10.35/m avg HR 156! Won't be doing that again :)

Thurs 29th
    I'd treated myself to a new watch, one you can load music/podcasts onto cos I am pretty much running solo all the time now ( as we all are ) and have been enjoying listening to different things, especially on easy runs but hate bringing my phone with me. Still trying to figure out different things on the watch and never linked the HRM to it before Thursday's run. 4.5 miles @ 9.28/m. 8 x 20sec strides towards the end.

Fri 30th
    S&C, 40 mins.
    I skipped the Friday session for easy miles, thinking I might try a 'hard' Marlay parkrun the next morning. 5.5 miles @ 9.27/m, avg HR 145. Left calf a bit tight so need to watch it again.

Sat 31st
    I had somehow missed all the warnings of a storm, so when I arrived in Marlay and my poor little polo was shaking in the car park, I realised I probably wouldn't enjoy trying the parkrun route at anything more than an easy to moderate pace! Nice to get a run around the park, and about a mile in I saw 2 clubmates walking the route so stopped and walked a while with them before I started to get a bit cold. 3.2 miles @ 10.10/m. Legs felt quite tired so didn't even bother try get more miles in.
    154.4 miles for October.

Sun 1st Nov
    Waited until after midday for my run, lots of drizzle but I loved it. Really enjoyed this run, headed over to Ballsbridge and back along the canal. Plenty of people out and about despite the weather. HR kept creeping up but I think that was down to running into the wind (no matter what direction I was going somehow). 9.1 miles @ 9.41/m, avg HR 148. Legs felt good.

Total: 36.7

Into another 4 week block of Daniels now, but really that just means different Tues and Fri sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

What watch did you get? Someone I know might be getting a pressie along those lines in a few weeks...

Advertisement