Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hopefully its just what you said yourself. Definitely get that physio booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hopefully it's nothing too bad V but best to get it checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

ReeReeG wrote: »
    ...Then I thought, why am I forcing myself out in that horrible weather again, and for what?...

Yeah there's been a lot of thoughts of that ilk rattling around in my head at times over the last few days. So far I've dispelled them all but the day is coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Look after that hammer V, physio visit would do no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Following with interest, aware of my own hamstring twinges. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thanks folks, I managed to get in with my physio and it's much as I assumed. Although the left hamstring isn't weak, in fact it's very strong.. as a result of being massively overworked :rolleyes:
    I am peeved a bit as I thought the S&C I was doing would have been bringing the glute into action more, but I'll be adding a few more specific exercises to help with that and take it easier with running for a few weeks. I also need to make sure I'm actually activating the right parts of my leg when I am doing my home S&C - no point in doing it so religiously if I'm bloody doing it wrong (on one leg anyway).
    No great harm done is the main thing, and I'm allowed run (just less... and not any speedwork). I might end up walking the Feb hills challenge if I get very bored at the weekend :D

Good news!

Before I got to the end of your update there I was getting ready to post - "Drop the 5k block for now". Happy to see its reasonably good news.

MYBAD is a good lad to talk to if you're looking for tips on activations drills etc - he's one of the more religious posters i've seen with doing those before all his sessions.

MYBAD is a good lad to talk to if you're looking for tips on activations drills etc - he's one of the more religious posters i've seen with doing those before all his sessions.

Good point, the physio told me a few as it is but would definitely be interested in knowing what works for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Good point, the physio told me a few as it is but would definitely be interested in knowing what works for others.

Hey, personally I think the deadlift's are great for the hamstrings and the touching toes, whether that's putting your leg up on a wall and reaching to the toes or bending down with a straight back.
    Obviously it depends on how flexible you are but these work for me.

API wrote:
    Hey, personally I think the deadlift's are great for the hamstrings and the touching toes, whether that's putting your leg up on a wall and reaching to the toes or bending down with a straight back. Obviously it depends on how flexible you are but these work for me.

Cheers. I've a lot of single leg deadlifts in my future :)

• Advertisement

I should have read the post more carefully - in terms of activations I was meaning more specifically activations/drills pre session rather than home stuff.

I should have read the post more carefully - in terms of activations I was meaning more specifically activations/drills pre session rather than home stuff.

No I know, the physio had also advised on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's a right pain being injured especially when you've been so dedicated with your s&c work :( The ole glutes not firing seems to be the cause of a lot of runner's problems, I'm convinced myself it's the desk job that is the cause for a lot of us. Hopefully you'll be back up to full throttle soon and in the meantime at least you can still run. Good luck with the recovery, you'll be bullet proof with all the new exercises on top of the old ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ariana` wrote: »
    It's a right pain being injured especially when you've been so dedicated with your s&c work :( The ole glutes not firing seems to be the cause of a lot of runner's problems, I'm convinced myself it's the desk job that is the cause for a lot of us. Hopefully you'll be back up to full throttle soon and in the meantime at least you can still run. Good luck with the recovery, you'll be bullet proof with all the new exercises on top of the old ;)

+100% I blame the desk job for glutes not firing!

So for everyone with desk jobs and working from home desk jobs... absolutely need these in your S&C routine

Squats or jump squats
    Walking lunges, reverse lunges
    Single leg dead lifts
    Any form of glute bridge
    Leg raises, donkey kicks

Nearly every hip, hamstring and quad issue I've had down through the years were a result of the glute not firing. On the opposite side of that when my physio commented that my glutes were strong and firing.. I was in good running shape.

We generally get the aches in the big muscles hamstrings, quads, hips. But because they are big they seem to dull the ache and we push on.

One nugget I've gleaned for thousands of euro spent with the physios, is look after my calves and glutes and the rest will fall in.

Finally I've become an advocate of activation drills before a run. 5 minutes
    I generally do leg swings (forward and sideways) and one or two of this rouotine

Thanks M. I just hopped up from the desk and did a few of those drills - I'm tighter than tight, definitely plenty to work on.

Thanks for sharing that video! And 5 minutes pre-run is nothing really, just need to activate some cop-on as well as my glutes :)

Thanks for sharing that video! And 5 minutes pre-run is nothing really, just need to activate some cop-on as well as my glutes :)

I was thinking the same V. And even if some runs had to be cut 5mins shorter to allow the time - it would be 5 mins better spent doing the activation I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

What I've taken from this is that since you did lots of S&C and still got injured, I may as well not do any S&C.

crisco10 wrote:
    What I've taken from this is that since you did lots of S&C and still got injured, I may as well not do any S&C.

Honestly this crossed my mind too, but I think the key point is it should be done CORRECTLY! Learn from my mistakes

And I refuse to say I'm injured, I'm just on a go-slow.

crisco10 wrote: »

You got in there ahead of me.....:D

I'm gonna be a little controversial here and play devils advocate.

I'm a guy with a desk job - probably worse over the past year with working from home so you would think, in theory I would be more prone to injury over the past year.

All of my worse injuries happened between late 2018 and again mid 2019 at a time when I was probably more active in getting up and about at work than i have been this past year.

I always thought the same about lack of activations/s&c being a problem. It was always my go to panic when I picked up an injury - I must do more s&c, i must do more yoga, its my desk job etc.

While I agree with the benefits of it, and im in no way saying people shouldnt be doing those supplementary things, I think we often jump straight to the conclusion that its the lack of that stuff is to blame and we ignore the training approach.

There's a reason I havent been more prone to injury this past year (at a time when im more glued to my desk) and its nothing to do with more supplementary stuff. It's purely down to training load and building it slowly. Yes I've always had a desk job and yes it contributed to muscles shortening and getting lazy but the culprit at the end of the day was overloading in training and doing too much too soon. I'm taking on a higher load of training and mileage now than I ever have at a time when im glued to my desk more than i ever have been.

So what am I trying to say with my ramble - definitely worth doing supplementary stuff but there's a reason we pick up injuries despite doing s&c - and I suspect its down to doing too much too soon with training.

**crosses fingers I havent jinxed myself**

• Advertisement

I do acknowledge all that, and I have tried to be conscious to not do too much all at once. I tried a few training plans last year, but took easy weeks between, and in fact most of December was easy before getting into a new one again.
    Yes, I increased weekly mileage this year but it was one jump really and stayed around that instead of pushing on more which I know can be a problem.

Now unless someone wants to tell me I failed in being careful :)

So in this instance I am more inclined to blame lack of other movement with sitting around so much - and its probably no coincidence that the problematic leg is the one I always have curled up underneath me when I'm working..or reading in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its all about movement. All those smaller muscles in the body need movement.

We are runners so the biggest muscles we use are glutes, quads, hams, calves, hips and core on top of the big yolk that beats the blood around to those big muscles.

So firstly we move those a lot right?
    Injury risk 1)... we move them too hard/fast/too much too soon and over stretch/strain/tear...
    Injury risk 2)... we run cold, suddenly springing those big muscles to action. Like you can do your back in bending down to lift something
    Injury risk 3).... recovery. I'm super guilty of squeezing every minute from my lunch break to run, only to sit right back down for hours.

Now the small stuff
    Its all the same :) They need movement, warming up and cooling down/stretching too. If you burst into S&C movements you risk the same stuff.

Warm up, activate resting/sleeping muscles!

To Swashbucklers point about S&C being the go to when injured. Its not important enough to do when you are running but its uber important to do when you are injured and want to get back running!

S&C can feel like a chore when injured if you don't usually do it. On the other hand if its part of your running routine already, then you can just build more of it and add variety to keep you occupied and not stressed about not running.

I get the perspective to only work the muscles you actually use for your sport. But your body is an engine. If you constantly tighten certain screws in an engine, the ones that are slowly becoming loose will one day fall off and scrape something or get stuck between cogs. Then the engine is suddenly at risk.

Very waffly post but for once I'd advise to sweat the small stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I was slightly dubious siging up for online s & c in the back of my mind I was thinking "sure I can just do all this myself" but the difference since starting a very well supervised class is exceptional. In the beginning it hurt to sit down because my glutes were actually working properly with proper form on squats, lunges etc. Even this morning doing mountain climbers i was reminded to make sure my wrists were under my shoulders considerably changing how the exercise felt (harder!).

Might be worth considering some supervised classes even for a refresher?

I sometimes think about bringing my yoga mat into the office a la shotgunmcos and doing some random squats/lunges/yoga stretches throughout the day to break up the sitting but thinking about it takes up all my energy so that's as far as I get :D

I do acknowledge all that, and I have tried to be conscious to not do too much all at once. I tried a few training plans last year, but took easy weeks between, and in fact most of December was easy before getting into a new one again.
    Yes, I increased weekly mileage this year but it was one jump really and stayed around that instead of pushing on more which I know can be a problem.

Now unless someone wants to tell me I failed in being careful :)

So in this instance I am more inclined to blame lack of other movement with sitting around so much - and its probably no coincidence that the problematic leg is the one I always have curled up underneath me when I'm working..or reading in the evenings.

Definitely wouldn't say you weren't careful enough (mainly because I've only recently started following your log and I don't really know the full history).

Hope the previous post doesnt come across as preachy. I just know from my own experience that I've always blamed lack of s&c/supplementary stuff when I pick up an injury and, for me at least, its been more down to training load.

When I hear 5k plans, for anyone, I automatically think the risk of injury is higher. The hardest block of training I've been through was a period of 5k specific sessions. The shift in focus towards shorter/sharper/faster sessions can be a jolt to the body. Mightn't be the case for you though and your instinct is better than any eejit online saying otherwise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

its probably no coincidence that the problematic leg is the one I always have curled up underneath me when I'm working..or reading in the evenings.

One thing my physio tries to drum into me is sitting correctly when working or relaxing. I've made a conscious effort recently to sit with both feet flat on the floor when I'm at the desk and it is making a difference. It's harder in the evening when I want to curl up on the sofa! Physio recommends at least changing the side you curl up on periodically as a starting point. I think it's stuff like that that doesn't take up any time but just requires a bit of change in your habits can be effective in the long term.

Its all about movement. All those smaller muscles in the body need movement.

We are runners so the biggest muscles we use are glutes, quads, hams, calves, hips and core on top of the big yolk that beats the blood around to those big muscles.

So firstly we move those a lot right?
    Injury risk 1)... we move them too hard/fast/too much too soon and over stretch/strain/tear...
    Injury risk 2)... we run cold, suddenly springing those big muscles to action. Like you can do your back in bending down to lift something
    Injury risk 3).... recovery. I'm super guilty of squeezing every minute from my lunch break to run, only to sit right back down for hours.

Now the small stuff
    Its all the same :) They need movement, warming up and cooling down/stretching too. If you burst into S&C movements you risk the same stuff.

Warm up, activate resting/sleeping muscles!

To Swashbucklers point about S&C being the go to when injured. Its not important enough to do when you are running but its uber important to do when you are injured and want to get back running!

S&C can feel like a chore when injured if you don't usually do it. On the other hand if its part of your running routine already, then you can just build more of it and add variety to keep you occupied and not stressed about not running.

I get the perspective to only work the muscles you actually use for your sport. But your body is an engine. If you constantly tighten certain screws in an engine, the ones that are slowly becoming loose will one day fall off and scrape something or get stuck between cogs. Then the engine is suddenly at risk.

Very waffly post but for once I'd advise to sweat the small stuff :D

Great post! Having spent my day looking at lots to do with aircraft engines, this analogy works well for me (even though I'm far from being an engineer) :pac:

Might be worth considering some supervised classes even for a refresher?

I sometimes think about bringing my yoga mat into the office a la shotgunmcos and doing some random squats/lunges/yoga stretches throughout the day to break up the sitting but thinking about it takes up all my energy so that's as far as I get :D

Well considering I am usually in the classes until level 5 arrives, it goes to show how much I have needed to pay people to oversee my exercising! I do try remember all the cues for doing each activity correctly, but its hard as you know yourself.

When I hear 5k plans, for anyone, I automatically think the risk of injury is higher. The hardest block of training I've been through was a period of 5k specific sessions. The shift in focus towards shorter/sharper/faster sessions can be a jolt to the body. Mightn't be the case for you though and your instinct is better than any eejit online saying otherwise. :D

No this is definitely true re the injury risks. To be fair the physio asked me outright why I was doing speedwork at all last week and I didn't really have a good answer :pac:
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    One thing my physio tries to drum into me is sitting correctly when working or relaxing. I've made a conscious effort recently to sit with both feet flat on the floor when I'm at the desk and it is making a difference. It's harder in the evening when I want to curl up on the sofa! Physio recommends at least changing the side you curl up on periodically as a starting point. I think it's stuff like that that doesn't take up any time but just requires a bit of change in your habits can be effective in the long term.

I sit terribly all the time. I very rarely sit upright (unless I'm driving) so this needs to change...

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and feedback, even if it makes me feel like a drama queen over some minor enough hamstring woes :D

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and feedback, even if it makes me feel like a drama queen over some minor enough hamstring woes :D

It's the benefit of these logs that we all chat about this stuff. This is where the great nuggets of info are picked up. Otherwise why bother logging!

It's the benefit of these logs that we all chat about this stuff. This is where the great nuggets of info are picked up. Otherwise why bother logging!

Good point. And reassurance I'm not the only one who makes these mistakes!

Good point. And reassurance I'm not the only one who makes these mistakes!
    Definitely not, I wouldn't say you've even made any mistake really, have you! It's a bit of a balancing act for all of us, none of us are elites, we're all juggling work and other things with our running and trying to get the best out of limited time. Lots of nuggets here to take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

ariana` wrote: »
    Definitely not, I wouldn't say you've even made any mistake really, have you! It's a bit of a balancing act for all of us, none of us are elites, we're all juggling work and other things with our running and trying to get the best out of limited time. Lots of nuggets here to take away.

Was just about to say similar, defo no mistakes made. They are all just opportunities to learn.

That sounds awful corporate jargon-y, but you know what I mean! :pac::pac:

Advertisement