Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It's ok, I'm still here!

It's been a hectic enough time, between starting the new job, serious car issues, bridesmaid duties for a friend and moving out of the place I'd lived in for the last 10 years. Some amount of 'stuff' gathers when you're in one place that long! I loved living there for the most part, but recently the neighbour situation got worse and worse, to the point of feeling unsafe so I just had to get out of there. Anyway, I'm now super close to Marlay park so I'm delighted with that!

I dug out the HRM this week and wore it for 4 of my 5 runs (5 runs!) and will be using it to try get some sort of decent aerobic base again. I know from before that even 4-6 weeks of disciplined easy running will bring big improvements.

Mon 13th

20 mins easy, really struggling to keep the HR in the 130s and then even the 140s. Any bit of a drag was pushing me into 150s. Now, it had been a particularly boozy weekend at the wedding but even still, it was a shock to see just how poor the base fitness is. Funny, not running much makes you lose running fitness, who'd have thought?! 2 miles, 10:27/m , 145 avg HR

Tues 14th - 40 mins S&C

Weds 15th

35ish mins easy, 3.4 miles, 11:01/m, avh HR 149. Again, struggling to keep the HR low and definitely couldn't still be blaming the booze!

Thurs 16th - Rest

Fri 17th

40 mins S&C. Another easy 30ish mins. 3.1 miles, 10:43/m, avg HR 153. Really struggled to concentrate on keeping HR in the 140s. Nice to have the park for a lunchtime run however.

Sat 18th

Leaped out of bed to get to a parkrun!!! Was down in Offaly so headed out to Mount Lucas parkrun. I'd ditched the HRM for this one as I just wanted to enjoy it, and was going to run it at a comfortably steady pace which seemed to come in at 8.50s ish. Although I don't know if I'd manage that for more than 5k! Pushed on for the last mile and while it was tough, it was good to feel the burn. Finished 26:17 or so. Happy enough with that, and so good to be back at parkrun. Finally got chatting to Omeceron also :) who was cruising with his buggy buddy.

Sun 19th

Had signed up for the virtual mini-marathon as it's club hosted so I felt obliged. I hadn't run 10km since the beginning of April however, so that was a little daunting. I did know I'd get the distance done, it was just how tiring it would feel that scared me. I started out thinking if i keep the HR to 150s I'd be ok with that, but it was creeping to 160s by the end (and even 170s the last bit). Sure we'll get there. 9:39/m, avg HR 163.

A whopping 18 miles for the week :D

Another week with 5 runs, who even am I?

Mon 20th - Rest

Tues 21st

40 mins S&C. Ran over to club training, well the plan was I would join for the warm-up and then do my own slower, shorter run, but one of the women is also just getting back to it so we did a slow 30ish mins together. Lovely to have the chats and company for a run. About 3.8 miles total, 148 HR.

Weds 22nd

I still needed to collect my bike from the old place, so I ran down (literally a downhill run). 3.3 miles, 9.49/m, avg HR 142. The cycle back took the same amount of time, painful.

Thurs 23rd

Over to club training again, and had two taking-it-handy buddies. Barely notice the running when you're having chats at the same time. 3.5 miles with them, 11.11/m, 143 HR. 4 miles total.

Fri 24th

40 mins S&C. No running, just drinks :)

Sat 25th

Over to Marlay parkrun for some volunteering. Smaller crowd than was usual before they were cancelled, but that's not a bad thing as it gets back going. It may have been the few drinks from the night before but I was actually a bit emotional seeing so many in the park at the start! Fab morning for it, and great to see so many familiar faces. I had a short chat with Lambay Island after his nice run, didn't seem to have taken too much out of him :)

Headed out for my own run later that day, HR was brutal, thanks alcohol. 3.1m, 10.15/m avg HR 154.

Sun 26th

Another evening run, I had accidentally waited for the rain, but it was pretty enjoyable. 6.4 miles, 9.57/m, avg HR 147. I felt fairly good on this, but it wasn't as clammy as it has been the past while so I'm sure that helped.

Total miles 20.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yeh, nice to catch up with you. Good to see your running building back up too and fair play for the volunteering.

Another nice week (for me).

Mon 27th - Rest.

Tues 28th

40 mins S&C.

Jogged over to club training again, I knew I’d be able to run easy with the few tapering for London! Nice to have the chats and pretend I wasn’t jealous at all! 4.3 miles with them, 10.01/m, avg HR 146.

Weds 29th

Out in the evening around the park again. 3.6 miles, 10.27/m, avg HR 151. Just couldn’t keep it down.

Thurs 30th

Was meeting a friend for a walk in the park so got a sneaky mile in over to meet her!

Fri 1st Oct

Can’t believe we’re into October, madness. 40 mins S&C in the am.

Out in the evening, and over to the park before it closed at 6. 3.4 miles, 9.49/m, avg HR 150.

Sat 2nd

Volunteered again at Marley parkrun, serious change in the weather from last week! Should be able to get the purple t-shirt now anyway ;) Lovely morning, love seeing everyone so happy. Headed out for my own run late afternoon before dinner and drinks in town later. 4.3 miles, 10:21/m, avg HR 154.

Sun 3rd

Afternoon run in the park and up a little bit of Kilmashogue. The burn! But in a good way. 5.5 miles, 10.24/m, avg HR 149.

22.9 miles for the week, and happy enough with how it’s going.

I’ve mentioned once or 100 times on here about my dog phobia.. I set a new year’s resolution this year to try do something about it as I felt I had gotten worse after the Phoenix Park incident last year, and it was affecting where I would go running etc, and hated feeling like runs were ruined etc. So after many, many CBT sessions… this morning I pet a dog and even walked it for the first time ever. To say I was emotional is an understatement! Obviously not magically cured right away but it was a huge step and honestly one of the proudest moments of my life. Been on a high all day!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow fair play to you on the CBT sessions and congratulations on the amazing progress that you have made V.

It's such a debilitating fear especially for a runner or really anyone who likes the great outdoors 😕

Great to see your running comeback too, we're missing a few good souls around this place.

• Advertisement

Mon 4th Oct – Rest

Tues 5th

40 mins S&C

Ran to where club winter training is on but arrived too late for the early (and slower paced) group, and too early for the later (and fast) group so just did a lap on my own and ran home again. HR still way too high, so much so I was starting to get suspicious that something is up. 5m @ 10:12/m, avg HR 151.

Weds 6th

Out for another evening run. The park closes at 6 now so have to stick to the paths when I’m running after work. The roads which are very draggy and the only way I’d have been able to keep the HR down would have been by walking, but that would have been a lot of walking and you don’t get better at running without actually running. 4m @ 10:42/m, avg HR 155.

I’d had a physio apt that day but for my stupid tennis elbow. Got some dry needling on it, and when they’re twitching like mad you know it’s not good :-/

Thurs 7th

Got a suggestion of a route from Crisco who said he does this one with the buggy… so I thought it can’t be that bad hill-wise. Wrong! If fitter it would be more enjoyable of course. But am now pretty sure I’m low on iron, combined with a few other symptoms. 5m @ 10:21/m, avg HR 156

Fri 8th

40 mins S&C. No running.

Sat 9th

Was down to volunteer at Marlay parkrun again, so I got out early for a run and headed up to the Fernhill running path. I hadn’t been on it before it was resurfaced but it’s pretty good. Don’t think it would be much fun if it was busy, but at that hour (and I may have er hopped a wall) it was only me and eventually a groundsman who didn’t give out to me thankfully 😊. But it was nice to have a flat run (still high HR of course, although I did push a few laps).3.1m @ 9:17/m, avg HR 158.

Sun 10th Unintended rest. I was down in Offaly and the day just got away from me, but tbh I wasn’t much bothered given the low energy feelings. Sleep was probably the better decision! Just 17 miles for the week.

There were texts flying around within the club about Berlin half marathon in April, and I got sucked in so have now registered for that! 5 months to get HM fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Nice one V, that's sounds like a great trip with the club. Lots of time to get race ready.

Mon 11th Oct

Short evening run around Marlay perimeter that I won't be repeating in the dark - one side has little to no lighting and felt far too unsafe (creeps wise, still had footpaths). 3.4 miles @ 9.48/m. Ditched the HRM for most runs this week as I knew my HR would be up anyway.

Tues 12th

40 mins S&C.

Evening run with the club. I was planning to stay nice and easy with a couple of others, but one of the faster men inststed on dropping back and running with us which was a little annoying as he was pushing the pace. I stopped at 5 miles and walked the last bit as I was super tired! 5m @ 9.37/m.

Weds 13th - Rest. Had a half day from work and went to an actual live show! so good!

Thurs 14th

Too late home from work to make club training so headed out on my own. 5m @ 9.53/m. Felt very tired and decided to cancel S&C for the following morning. Sleep was needed more.

Fri 15th - Rest. Long day in work.

Sat 16th

Ran Marlay parkrun this week with a couple of clubmates. I was promised 9.30 pace but ended up a bit faster (as often happens at parkrun!). Great to get around the course all the same, fab morning for it too. 3.1m @ 8.49/m, plus short warm-up and cool downs.

Sun 17th

Stuck on the HRM for my 'long' run and anything past 4 miles seems to send the HR sky high no matter how I slow. Annoying. Found hitting 6 miles tough to be honest, really need to sort the energy (and probably the diet a little bit). 6.2 miles @ 9.48/m, avg HR 161.

24.4 miles for the week.

Mon 18th Oct - Rest

Tues 19th

40 mins S&C in the am. Was meeting my friend (and her dog!) for an evening run but as soon as I started running I knew the calves weren't great. They felt like bricks, super tight. Ran just over a mile and stopped rather than risk doing damage. Stretched them out and walked back to where my friend was still running, and ran another mile with slightly less tight calves. A strong reminder to not be so slack with the foam roller and calf exercises!

Weds 20th - Rest. Was going to head out and then told myself I'd be better off with more foam rolling and calf raises etc.

Thurs 21st

Headed out for a run after work, calves were feeling much looser thankfully. 4.5 miles @ 9.40/m. I didn't bother with the HRM this week.

Fri 22nd

40 mins S&C. Was late enough home from work and other errands so didn't get out for a run.

Sat 23rd

Busy morning! Headed over to Marlay parkrun intending to take it easy, which I mostly did until the last km. It's a fast last km and I just couldn't help myself! 8.41/m avg pace for the parkrun (27.08).

A friend of mine was running her first marathon (DCM virtual) up and back along the seafront between Sandycove and Sandymount, and I'd promised to join for the last few miles. Managed to time it pretty perfectly with parking and finding her right away! She said she was glad of me so I'll take her word for it! Great support from her club (Blackrock) as there were a few from the club doing the same route. She did brilliantly, super impressed by anyone doing a virtual as their first!! 2.9m@ 10.45/m.

Then I had to run back to my car, 2m @ 8.57/m. Calves felt great all morning, and the most miles in one day in a long time!

Sun 24th

Hungover supporting my brother in his marathon in Kildare. He did well, despite nearly fainting a couple of times, but if the man could taper he'd do seriously well. Not sure a flat out parkrun with a 4 year old in the buggy the day before a marathon is in any training plan 🙃 I was at mile 19, spotted a few familiar faces alright, was sorry aquinn had to pull out. Nice to see misterpaul getting around. Also many pained faces. Had me thinking twice about another marathon!

No run for me (apart from about 400m with the brother as i was giving him water).

Mon 25th

Given the rest on Sunday, and it being a bank holiday, I headed out along the canal in Offaly. It was a fabulous day for it, seriously amazing weather for late October. 7 miles total on an out and back route 9.36/m avg. I had one dog off a lead run at me, and I handled it amazingly if I do say so myself 🙂

Tues 26th - 40 mins S&C.

Weds 27th

Headed out after work on a route I made up as I went along, so ended up doing a wee bit more than I'd expected. Drenched to the bone, but still very enjoyable. 5.7 miles @ 9.42/m.

Thurs 28th

Forced myself out for a short run after a busy workday, but delighted I've found my 5k loop and it's not unreasonably hilly. 3.1 miles @ 9.35/m.

Fri 29th - 40 mins S&C. Was off work, but no running just walks with friends.

Sat 30th

Being down in Offaly, I decided to head over to the new parkrun in Tullamore, along the Grand Canal. Handy for parking, where we used to actually when going to matches in O'Connor park. Chilly enough morning and I was thinking I should probably do a warmup but ended up chatting to a woman who has done most of them around the country. Impressive stuff. Anyway, I was going to take it steady-ish but took off with everyone and spotted two women ahead of me and said I'd just try stick with them for a mile and see how I felt. Turns out I could hold the pace better than them. I was huffing and puffing as is normal in a hard 5k, but was surprised with how I held a fairly consistent 7.45 pace for a 24.05 parkrun, especially considering no speedwork in months. Couple minutes away from where I want to be but now I have a time to beat at Jingle Bells hopefully. Thanks to a small turnout of 50 people I was the first woman back - that time wouldn't even get close to top 10 in Marlay i know!

Sun 31st

Was over in Galway for a couple of my nieces' birthdays, so headed out for a run with my brother. His back is at him so he said he can only run slow. Really shows how slow is such a subjective word when it comes to running!! Fairly dragged me around. Nice morning though, as he showed off all the community projects he had a part in :) I even ended up being roped into judging their halloween scarecrow competition 🤣 6.2 miles @ 8.41/m.

25 miles for the week.

Might try get a couple of sessions in before JB over the next few weeks. Any suggestions welcome :)

• Advertisement

Nice parkrun there, nice marker to have set. I really need to get my butt to a parkrun one of the days.

You could take a look at the Grads 5k plan for some session ideas?

I'd get some Tempo in and some short intervals and progress to getting both into the one meaty session, one of my favourites (though not necessarily 5k specific) is 15' w/u, 15-20' Tempo, 5' recovery, 8 * 1' on/off, 10-15mins c/d.

***Disclaimer: I have never specifically trained for 5k so take advice with a pinch of salt 😅

Mon 1st - rest

Tues 2nd

40 mins S&C.

Evening run, nothing wild or exciting but enjoyable. 5.2 miles @ 9.38/m.

Weds 3rd

Had arranged to meet a friend for a session, even though we’d be doing different ones but solidarity in numbers and all that. I decided to go with the 8 x 1 mins on/off suggested by ariana after a 2 mile warm-up. I didn’t really try pace but was hoping to keep them all close enough. The range of paces was apparently 6.55/m - 7.18/m. My friend persuaded me to do her last 200s with her, I didn’t track them but she said 47 for both so not too bad really. 5 miles for the evening.

Thurs 4th

40 mins S&C in the morning. 4 miles easy after work, 9.25/m.

Fri 5th - rest.

Sat 6th

I was travelling down to south Kilkenny for babysitting duties so decided to head early to pop into Kilkenny parkrun on the way. Parked up, jogged over to the castle and lo and behold is that aquinn and misterpaul in front of me?! It sure was! I love how small this country is! Myself and A ran together and had a great chat, and sped up a little too much..lovely parkrun, quite a setting in front of the castle. Tough going up the hill part three times! 28 and a bit for the parkrun.

Sun 7th

Headed for a short hilly run with my brother this morning in a lovely wooded area near where he lives. Very peaceful but damn I’m out of practice on the hills. He of course barely broke a sweat 🙄 Fab morning for it anyway. 4 miles @ 9.19/m.

Just 22 miles for the week. Should really be trying to get more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great to see you and thanks for the company at parkrun. See you at JB.

Week 8th - 14th Nov

Low mileage, oops.

Mon 8th - lunchtime 30 mins. 3.2 miles @ 9.18/m.

Tues 9th - S&C only.

Weds 10th - 5 miles in evening, 9.30/m. Tried my new Adidas SL20s - painful as mentioned in the Gear thread.

Thurs 11th - S&C only.

Fri 12th - Lunchtime session of 8 x 200s. Was aiming for around 7 min pace, and most were about 48 - 50 seconds bar a couple of reps affected by the strong wind (both negatively and positively!). Only 4 miles total.

Sat 13th - nothing. Had a nice spa day with a friend :)

Sun 14th - Just felt really tired, and forced myself to do 5k. 9.14/m.

Week 15th - 21st Nov

Mon 15th - Rest (from what I don’t know)

Tues 16th - S&C in the morning. Sent back the Adidas runners.

Lunchtime progression run. Was controlled until the last mile when I met a club mate and she pushed me a bit much. Ah well. (9.52, 9.45, 9.23, 9.04 and 8.08). Enjoyable.

Weds 17th - evening 4 miles. Legs felt heavy, 9.56/m.

Thurs 18th - out before work. 4 miles @ 9.26/m.

Fri 19th - S&C only.

Sat 20th - Marlay parkrun. My bro and sis were coming over to Marlay for this one which was fun. I’d had it in my head to run it steady, then felt meh jogging over but by the time I’d done the group warm-up and got going I actually felt ok to try steady. Drama queen much? Felt quite controlled which was good. Put the foot down on the last straight to pass 3 men who were blocking me in 😝 thankfully none of them got back past me! 25.48 for the parkrun.

Headed to the running shop in Rathgar in the afternoon and picked up Brooks Ghost 14 after some discussion with the lads there.

Sun 21st - morning 7 miles. Happy enough, though would’ve been happier with 8 but sure there’s always next Sunday. 9.44/m, definitely felt like I kept it easy. Wore the new Brooks and they felt pretty good. Don’t think I’ll be returning these!

Went along to watch National XC then in Santry this afternoon. Fab weather for spectators once you had enough layers! My brother was supposed to be running but got the start time wrong and then hit bad traffic… arrived to hear the Senior race starting :-/ Great runs from the clubs superstars anyway, the men’s team especially. The speed of them, mad. Nice turnout too. First time in Santry park which is likely to become a lunchtime running spot for me when we move into the new office properly, I might stick to the paths more though!

Have my ticket for the Euro XC too so looking forward to that in a few weeks.

Mon 22nd - Rest

Tues 23rd - 40 mins Strength in the morning. The place where I do classes changed up the schedule so it was strength and a lot of core :-/ Felt that last bit for about 3 days!

In exciting club developments, one of the men has arranged a trial (but ideally it will continue) of Tuesday night sessions with Gary c and Maria McC in UCD on Tues evenings. This week was the first one. Ran about a mile with a few before the most comprehensive warm-up drills I’ve probably ever done, was wrecked! The session then was 4 x 1500m at HMP, 10k, 5, HMP (off 60s, 90s, 120s). As always, I find it interesting to see what others deem their HMP to be 😶 but none of my business! I had judged it off the 24.05 recent parkrun and hit the paces intended (8.30ish, 8ish, 7.40ish). Managed to keep reps 1 and 4 the exact same. Another lap for warm down. 6 miles total for the evening.

Great session, good numbers turned up and nice to see everyone motivated. Excited to see how this continues!

Weds 24th - Met a club mate (and her dog!) for a lunch run, easy 4.1 miles, 9.29/m.

Thurs 25th - The office has moved to Santry (not thrilled about the commute but at least it’s hybrid working) and decided to try out the park for lunch running. Busy enough park but feels nice and flat compared to Marlay! 4.6 miles @ 9.04/m.

Fri 26th - 40 mins S&C.

Headed out at lunch, was gonna do a few 200s but ended up pushing to 6 of them. 45, 48, 45, 45, 47, 44. Happy enough with that. 3.2 miles total.

Sat 27th - woke early and decided to drive down to Russborough to try out the parkrun. It was very, very cold but I am determined to make it to December now still running in shorts! Half a mile w/up, then a mix of path, trail and grass for the parkrun. Tried to keep it totally easy but couldn’t help myself on the last km knowing I could make it up the little hill quicker than those ahead of me :-/. Still a 28ish parkrun is keeping it reasonably easy.

Sun 28th - eventually tore myself away from Selling Sunset ..ok I ran out of episodes 😆 to get out for a ‘longer’ run. just can’t seem to push myself to 8 miles for some reason, but happy to get 7 done anyway. Lovely morning/early afternoon in the park. 9.31/m avg.

28.8 miles for the week. JB next week like a lot from on here! Just aiming to beat that 24.05 parkrun, absolutely not in PB shape.

Mon 29th - Rest

Tues 30th - 40 mins strength in the am.

Evening session again in UCD. Long steady hill reps. It had been quite a while since I had tackled hill reps of any kind, so this felt fairly torturous, and I was in fact the slowest of the whole group. Pretttty grim, but anyway. It was 35 mins of as many loops as you could manage. The loop was approx 1200m but the last 400 or so was downhill recovery. I managed six, most did seven and the super speedy lads managed eight. Impressive pace from them all. 7 miles for the evening incl warm up and cool down.

Weds 1st Dec - Evening run to Marlay to see the winter lights around the old house side. Plenty of families strolling about. 3.2 miles @ 9.26/m.

Thurs 2nd Dec - Headed to club training where a pre-race session of 4 x 1 mins, 2 mins off was on the menu. Tbh I probably could have not done this given my legs were still feeling Tuesday night's session fairly badly, but oh well. Wet evening for it. 4.5 miles @ 9.29/m average.

Fri 3rd Dec - Morning S&C. Again, I probably could have taken this easier but no!

Sat 4th Dec

Jingle Bells 5k

Fairly underwhelming race from me. I couldn't find much in the legs to battle the wind along Chesterfield no matter how much I tried. I very much enjoyed the downhill mile and letting the legs just tumble down it. Thought that maybe, just maybe I could get 23.59 but that finish line seemed miles further from the turn than I was expecting! 24.15 chip time. Ah well, nice to have a race experience and a new mug.

Was lovely to see so many faces from here and have the chats, albeit brief (it was way too cold to stand around after). Seem to have missed meeting a few but hopefully there will be more opportunities! Well done to all, some super results.

Sun 5th Dec

Up early for a not long run, 5.4 miles @ 10.23/m. Legs still heavy enough forcing a proper slow pace. Icy but lovely morning in Marlay.

25 miles for the week.

Not too much running done this week between one thing and another!

Mon 6th Dec - Rest.

Tues 7th - Strength in the morning. I’m not doing particularly heavy stuff compared to most really, but I have upped it lately and the body does feel it!

Club training was cancelled with the storm, and I didn’t bother head out myself in the weather. The couch was much more appealing.

Weds 8th - Easy evening 5 miler, 9.50/m. Still reasonably windy out but I’ve definitely run in worse gales.

Thurs 9th - Headed to club training and made sure I hung back from the faster group. Another handy enough 5 miles, 9.34/m. Much nicer evening and barely noticed the miles with the chats. I was in a great mood anyway with the news of my newest nephew’s arrival safe and sound. (15th time to be an aunty, still exciting!!!)

Fri 10th - Morning S&C.

Lunchtime 5k, 9.39/m. Nice to get out in daylight.

Sat 11th - Legs were feeling heavy so I intended on taking it super easy for parkrun, but it more like easy-ish (9.07/m). Nice morning to get out, good crowds at Marlay and nice tae and chats after 😊

Sun 12th - Up early to head north side to the Euro XC. What a day. Loved it all. My brother had arrived before me and sussed a good spot not far from the finish line, near the big screen and across from the podium. The relay handover section was right in front of us too 🤣 I’m hoarse this evening from all the shouting and cheering. It was great to have such super Irish performances in quite a few races, that really got the crowd excitement up. Gas to hear how much of a crowd favourite Jakob Ingebrigtsen is too, even here. I got a glimpse of the main man Gjert too before the Senior race so that made my day 😂 Superb event.

A measly 17.3 miles for the week. Ooops! Time to get serious about getting fit for Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw congrats on your new baby nephew, always such a special time for a family with the arrival of a new baby❤

I'd say the atmosphere was amazing there today, glad you enjoyed it!

Mon 13th - Nada

Tues 14th - morning strength class (40 mins)

Evening session in UCD with the club. Twas a tough one.

1mile warm up, then an extensive lunge series and some strides.

4 x 400 with about 100m off (which I did as a mix of walk and jog). 400m were to be done at mile pace, but I tried to focus on good form while getting close to whatever my mile pace feels like at the moment. Came in at 1.38, 1.40, 1.40 and 1.45.

Then into 3k steady / HM pace. Honestly thought I'd only manage 1 loop but the legs woke up and I settled into it, came in at 8 min mile pace.

Back to 4 x 400s but I knew my legs were tired now, still got coaxed into doing two reps, 1.42 and 1.52 (! proof I was at the end of it). Gentle lap of the 1500m loop to cool down. Tough, but really enjoyable session. I thought I was quite good at pushing myself through sessions on my own during lockdowns but it really isn't the same. I've no doubt I'd be able to run the same reps, but I'm definitely kinder to myself for recoveries when I'm on my own.

Weds 15th - Short run to shake out the legs, 3.4 miles @ 9.42/m.

Thurs 16th - Made it to club training again, nice and gentle 5.4 miles @ 9.54/m.

Fri 17th - Morning S&C, 40 mins. Out to the Coronas in the Olympia that evening. Fabulous.

Sat 18th - Jogged over to Marlay for parkrun, slow run over thanks to a bottle of gin in my backpack 😂 Calves were really tight, so I focused on keeping it calm in parkrun and lifting the legs properly, so not completely easy but not feeling like I was pushing too much either. Came in at 27.18 and bizarrely felt miles better than the 28 mins easy runs the last while so hopefully a good sign, though I'm not sure how when I keep skimping on sunday longer runs...

Sun 19th - Nothing but a couple of walks. There may have been drinks had Saturday night 😶

Mon 20th - Headed out for a run this morning to ease the guilt of not running yesterday. 3.5 miles @ 9.47/m.

Club session tomorrow night, then I'll just get out when I can over Christmas. And an antigen a day to keep the anxiety away.

I thought I was quite good at pushing myself through sessions on my own during lockdowns but it really isn't the same. I've no doubt I'd be able to run the same reps, but I'm definitely kinder to myself for recoveries when I'm on my own.

Interesting V, been thinking about this comment since I read it this morning. As someone who does all my training on my own I sometimes wonder if having a club or group to do sessions with would be beneficial and to what kind of extent. Food for thought.

Anyhow, well done, despite the lack of a long run you are back running consistently which is great to see. I think the long run is probably the last piece of the puzzle that I'd get back in place too. It's a bigger commitment especially this time of year with more sociable stuff happening. It doesn't have to be very long though, for you right now 75 mins could tick the box and leave plenty of room to increase 😊

• Advertisement

That's true, I should think of them in minutes rather than miles! Build up to your level of consistency, you've had a brilliant year, well done.

Oh and I would absolutely recommend trying out a group. i think most clubs let you try before you sign up anyway, so no harm seeing how you like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That sounds like a tough enough session all the same. If I'm doing 400 reps at milepace it could be a 400m recovery. If it's more of a fitness test type workout then maybe 1-1.5 minutes recovery. It sounded even more insane though when I first read it as I thought you went straight into 3k pace stuff after that and then more 400s. 🤢

Haha I don’t think I’d be fit to write anything even now if we did that 😂

After I managed to get the morning run in on Monday last, I started to feel a little under the weather by that evening. Got worse the later it got so cancelled my S&C class for the next morning, and booked a PCR for as soon as I could get one which was Weds morning.

Did a home workout Tues morning and while bunged up, I was ok energy wise. Didn’t do the silly thing of going to club training but headed for a solo run with the session in mind, 3k at 10k pace, almost like proving I couldn’t possibly be sick… anyway, really felt sh*t after that and properly ill going for the PCR. Long story short, positive text came through Thursday evening and I had to ring my mother to say I wouldn’t be home for Christmas. I can only assume I got it at the gig.. hadn’t been near any confirmed COVID positive people. ‘Tis fairly rampant alright. Hopefully the only Christmas I ever spend entirely alone (obviously plenty of video calls but its not the same).

Anyway, I’ve never slept so much in my life. The bad symptoms have passed (was due my booster this week, not needed now), so the boredom is starting to hit. I was supposed to be running my 100th parkrun on New Year’s Day, but that is now postponed as its my last day of isolation - I think, HSE website is a bit contradictory, but I’d rather play it safe and not infect people. I was also due to run for the club at the Dublin Master’s XC, and while I’ll be out of isolation, I don’t think I’ll want to come last or thereabouts??

So the year ends with about half the running of 2020 at 949 miles. Zero PBs. One very irritating injury, but I rehabbed it well. One race, JB, nothing to write about tbh. But it’s ok, I still love running.

At this point, I’m reluctant to even put down any goals for 2022 cos it seems what is the point?? The rug will probably get ripped from under me anyway. I’m signed up for Raheny, Berlin Half, Connemara Half and DCM. I’ll keep going with the new club coaches and see where it takes me sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw V sorry to hear this! Glad the bad symptoms have past now. All we can do is look forward & hope this craziness will subside in the near future.

Best wishes for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear about the solo Christmas. Glad you are recovering already. It’s a weird virus. In my circles booster seems to be helping but only if it’s had the recommended week to kick in. Totally unscientific survey though!

All going well you’ll be well recovered for the Masters. You should do it - definitely won’t be last, but even if you were (and you won’t) it’s still a great race. If it happens of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Ah crap, that's unfortunate timing. Glad you are on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a balls V. Sorry to hear that.

In terms of the running, the love is still there and ultimately that's what WILL get you back to your previous levels of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Sorry to hear that, horrible timing. Don't worry about the fitness it will come back. The main thing is to recover now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sorry to hear about the solo Christmas. Just take it a day at a time for 22. Keep at the S&C, you will last longer in the long run than most runners because of it.

Advertisement