Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Absolutely unreal stuff ReeReeG! So impressive. I'm delighted you went for it in the end, and that it paid off. That's a cracking time, and a great performance to get it too. Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Super report there V, enjoyed that, especially the bit about the first two on the podium :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done on your 10 miler performance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thanks everyone!

Sept 24 - 30th
    Mon 24th: Worked in the Amsterdam office for the day and travelled home that evening. Hadn't planned a recovery run anyway as I knew I'd be feeling tired from travelling etc.

Tues 25th: Headed up to Marlay for our last midweek training there until next March :( That means winter is truly upon us. We planned to run 1 mile as a warm-up, with 6 miles in or around PMP, and 1 mile as cool down. We were too quick on some of the PMP miles, but it was hard to pull people back and sometimes I get tired of being the nag shouting "too fast" all the time  (8.38, 8.53, 8.55, 8.42, 8.40, 8.26). PMP should be 8.45-8.50. Anyway, was a glorious evening for it. 

Weds 26th: Yoga at lunchtime. Had to tell the lady (she's a new one) to stop coming over to adjust my shoulders - they are mega tight I know and she was just making me tenser! Felt kinda bad..
    Ran home from work, 6 miles at 9.42/m. It was way warmer than I expected, another fab evening.

Thurs 27th: Ran early Thursday morning as I had club volunteer duties that night. 6 miles again, at 9.56/m. My legs took at least 25 mins to wake up. It was lovely and quiet however, very enjoyable.
    Pilates lady was back, so had this at lunchtime and I finally managed to hold crow pose! Ok, for like 2 seconds, but it's progress! I'd set this as a goal back at the start of summer. 
    Volunteered at the Sandyford 5k that night then, and cheered my sister on to a 5k PB :) she's getting dangerously close to my times though..

Fri 28th: Ran home again, this time just a handy 5k at 10.08/m. Accompanied by the perfect Friday evening soundtrack i.e. Cher's new album of Abba covers :)

Sat 29th: Up to Marlay for parkrun. Did a couple of handy miles beforehand (9.43/m) and then met up with my pace buddies from the club and we had all decided to run this hard. Ideally sub 23 mins (I know, I know, don't be expecting magic on this distance while marathon training). We tackled it badly though; with the hill in the first km, we probably should have set out at a conservative pace and then picked it up for the end but anyway, felt it for the last mile as the splits show: 7.25, 7.26, 7.45 for a 23.11 time. Still a PB by 18 seconds, and I'd actually never gotten sub-24 in Marlay before. I seem to end up doing pre-race or training runs up there. Short cool down then. Oh and only one of us 3 got the sub-23 in the end... I am jealous  :)
    Should be doing my 50th parkrun there in 2 weeks, provided I squeeze one in next weekend en route to Cork. The main thing being that I beat all my siblings to the 50. 

Sun 30th: Headed to the Phoenix Park with the same pace buddies and followed the DCM route until Foster's Avenue. Well, we got lost once around Kilmainham, but we did also make a friend! We became a group of 4 on the Crumlin road somewhere which was nice! New conversations to be had  :)
    Interestingly, we found it very hard for the whole 20 miles to keep the pace down. This bodes well I hope. I felt comfortable all the way, never felt the effort and felt surprisingly fresh at the end. The miles ticked by so quickly too, it was a really enjoyable run! Average pace 9.37/m.
    I did discover that the shorts I wore are not suitable for long runs. Oh. Dear. God. I didn't even notice it when running, but when I stopped... there was actual blood! It's gross. The shower was pure agony. 

Total Miles: 49.3 Highest mileage ever, and highest ever month too: 185! 

On another note, I noticed something this last few weeks. It's not just in terms of running, also daily life, but I'm starting to feel more like myself these days. It's not that the grief is gone completely, but I suppose people are right when they say time heals, or helps anyway. There are still some really crappy days obviously, but I think its that, finally, the good days are actually good, and not just less sh*t. I don't know, but I do think maybe this affects my running positively too. I know I'm not gonna feel amazing every run (like I did this week) but it's nice to feel something like myself again. Just something I wanted to log and have on here to remind myself in future, or who knows, help someone who may have something similar going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done on your ten-mile and parkrun PBs! Really enjoyed your reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great stuff V, you're really finding your groove now. Just the right time too! :-)

Brilliant week! You really do seem to be in amazing shape at the moment. A 5k PB (congratulations!!) followed by a 20 mile LSR the very next day where you felt like you had to hold back the pace... well, wow! :eek:

Nice to hear you're feeling more like yourself generally too.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Volunteered at the Sandyford 5k that night then, and cheered my sister on to a 5k PB :) she's getting dangerously close to my times though..
    Should be doing my 50th parkrun there in 2 weeks, provided I squeeze one in next weekend en route to Cork. The main thing being that I beat all my siblings to the 50.
    Love the sibling rivalry here, ha! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Lovely update. You're really hitting your groove with the training. Your log has been really positive of late and it's great to read that you're feeling more yourself too.

Oct 1st - 7th
    And suddenly we are into October! I find myself torn between loving colder weather for jumpers and boots, but also wanting it to stay warm enough so I can still run in shorts. If that is my main dilemma in life, then I am not doing too badly.

Mon 1st: Gave myself the day off from a run, strolled home from work.

Tues 2nd: Down to training, which is not in Marlay now that we're in winter sadly. Plan was 6 steady. I had checked with the club coach what steady means! She said for marathon steady, we should be looking at 30 seconds slower than marathon pace, which would put me at 9.20m-ish. We averaged 9.04/m :( again an issue of trying to pull people back and failing but I took solace from the fact we were chatting all the way so the effort couldn't have been too high.

Weds 3rd: Yoga at lunchtime. Ran home from work, suuuper easy and I was feeling very tired now. Bag felt heavier, but I don't think it was to be honest! Avg pace 10.15/m. Happy the runmutes are still bright anyway.

Thurs 4th: Down to the club again. The plan had 6 MP, with a warmup mile either side. The 8 mile route we use has Mount Anville all the way up past the Goat, which is disgustingly hilly and meant we were never gonna hit MP, but we at least kept the effort up. I had been feeling shattered all day and then did that! Needless to say I slept well that night. 8 miles at avg 9.09/m.
    Had done Pilates at lunch too, and body was tired going to that, worse afterwards! instructor told me I need a shoulder massage, way too tight there.

Fri 5th: No running, finally met up with friends I haven't seen in ages. Sometimes these things are important too!

Sat 6th: Headed to Mount Lucas parkrun with my dad, we somehow ended up there very early so I decided to do an easy lap of the course beforehand, avg pace 9.34/m. Met a friend at the start line and we were saying we should just take it easy for a chat, but sure we took off with the rest of the herd way too quick! slowed it a little and we did chat around but hit the first mile in 7.37, told my friend if we keep this up she might get in under 24 which she hasn't yet done. Slowed a little again on the second mile (7.51) but had lost her before the last mile (she had already told me once to keep going, I'm not that bad a friend, honest). I was feeling quite good so decided to really kick the last mile. The best part of this was passing out 4 guys :) never happens! Down the last stretch I could hear one of them coming back up near me so I kicked on even more and kept position... there was a brief moment of almost vomiting I must admit! last mile 7.07 :) the joys of a small parkrun also meant 1st F and 5th overall.  AND my mate got in under 24, all good!

Sun 7th: The last BIG run! 20 miles! Did the same as last week in that we ran from Phoenix Park along the route to Nutley Lane and did not get lost this time! Victory. Definitely felt more tired, but I still felt pretty good. We had the problem again of trying to stop ourselves from going too fast despite the tiredness. Avg pace 9.30/m which was the fastest pace we had allowed ourselves, so I'm ok with that.

Total miles: 47.4. Really happy with the week. I am really looking forward to the taper, nothing too crazy in the plan for the next few weeks. I will be doing my 50th parkrun next Saturday, all going well, and that will be the end of the parkrunning before DCM. Need to get more volunteer days in anyway.
    Feet up now for the afternoon :)

First female!! Woooot! That's bloody brilliant, congratulations! Another great week overall, now for the taper :pac:
    And suddenly we are into October! I find myself torn between loving colder weather for jumpers and boots, but also wanting it to stay warm enough so I can still run in shorts. If that is my main dilemma in life, then I am not doing too badly.
    Yes! This is a serious dilemma. Can't even start enjoying hot port season properly yet, till this feckin marathon is out of the way :D

• Advertisement

Great week again! Lots of good quality stuff in there. Well done

eyrie wrote:
    Yes! This is a serious dilemma. Can't even start enjoying hot port season properly yet, till this feckin marathon is out of the way

I LOVE a hot port too! We'll have to arrange a hot port recovery session 😂

I LOVE a hot port too! We'll have to arrange a hot port recovery session ��

McGrattans would be a good place to start! :P

I LOVE a hot port too! We'll have to arrange a hot port recovery session ��
    Now that I can most definitely get on board with!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only heard discussion of hot port yesterday evening! Good week, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on 1st finisher in Parkrun (and a 7:07 min/m :eek:) and a 20m long run at a decent clip the next day too, you're going great guns! Enjoy the taper now ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    Congrats on 1st finisher in Parkrun (and a 7:07 min/m :eek:) and a 20m long run at a decent clip the next day too, you're going great guns! Enjoy the taper now ;)
    When there's only about 30 total in a parkrun, first female isn't that much of a feat! But sure I'll take it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

17 - 23 Sept
    Mon 17th: Recovery run home from work. I had been doing 5 miles for these in recent weeks, but I was very tired from the long run session the day before, so was happy enough to keep it to 5k this week. 10.20/m.

Tues 18th: The club plan had a steady miles run, but I wasn't sure about doing the full 4 given my race on Sunday, and the fact I was still pretty tired from the Sunday before. In the end, myself and a clubmate did 2 easy, 2 steady and back to 2 easy for a lovely evening's run. 9.12/m average. 
    I'd done yoga at lunchtime too, because I knew I couldn't make my Wednesday class.

Weds 19th: I'd planned on skipping my usual Wednesday easy 20-30 miles this week anyway, which worked out well as I ended up with a hectic workday.

Thurs 20th: Hmmm. I went to the core yoga class (pilates woman is back next week, yay) and am getting ever closer to achieving the crow pose. We did a lot of inverted stuff however, and I really went for it. Within 30-40 minutes of getting back to work, I had the beginnings of an optical migraine (only able to see out half of each eye), which is isn't sore, but bloody annoying. I knew if the headache followed, I was done for... and it did :( left work early, Luas was down and no bus for 40 mins.. and then it drove right past because it was full! Somehow got a taxi which took forever, and straight into bed when I finally got home. So yeah, I missed my planned run with a friend. Think I'll be more cautious of this in yoga in future!

Fri 21st: Ended up not trying to chase miles, thanks to sage advice from the Mentored Novices Thread :) 

Sat 22nd: Easy, easy parkrun. Averaged 9.11/m which isn't really easy enough but the effort honestly felt very low. At around 3.5km I came across a man up from Tralee who was starting to struggle so I tried to help him along. He was doing fine from my viewpoint as he was still chatting.. but then he ended up light headed on the last straight. Felt a bit bad then :-/

Flew to Amsterdam later that day. The race was organised through work (our HQ is there), and I was staying with a friend from the office, who very kindly picked me up from the airport and had a carbo-licious dinner prepared for me :)

Sun 23rd: RACE DAY

The Dam tot Damloop is a huge event in Amsterdam. I think the numbers throughout the weekend are in the region of 45,000 participants (there is a 5 mile on the Saturday evening). There are a series of waves, so the event runs really smoothly. Our wave was a Business, and wasn't until 13.45, so I watched some of the elites from the comfort of my friend's couch that morning. The men's was won in 45 mins (sick) and the women's had an exciting sprint finish where one woman basically elbowed the other out of the way!! You could cut the tension with a knife on the podium by the looks of it!

Anyway, made our way over to Centraal Station where the rest of the work crew were, and the bag drop etc. The weather was MISERABLE - rain, wind, kind of cold due to the rain... proper Irish weather. I wasn't too bothered by it though, prefer that to lots of sun for running! Did a bit of a warm-up with one of the lads who runs a lot and appreciated the value of a warm up. Some of the guys would be hitting 10 miles for the first time ever, which is so great! Hope they catch the bug :)

Lined up and listened to the Dutch race briefing and understanding nothing. I was determined to keep the first mile close to 8 mins so I wasn't in danger of going too hard too soon. The ideal would be 8 mins all the way, with a hard last mile to nip under the 80 mins.
    Miles 1 - 3: 8.00, 8.03, 7.54
    The start was smooth enough, as bizarrely everyone walked to the start line and only ran once you crossed it? So it meant very little bunching... not sure I am describing it well but it was good! Concentrated on getting the effort right as I knew 700 metres down the road we were heading into a tunnel which lasts about 1km - and presumed no GPS to guide my pace there! The tunnel was horrible. It was nice to be out of the rain, but it was bloody stuffy by the time we came out of it. The slope up out of it was about the extent of any hill on the entire course too which was nice... Somewhere in mile 2 I got chatting to two Irish girls briefly, who live over there. I didn't want to be rude but they were going a tad slow for me so had to push on.. I knew I was feeling able by this point, and did have to catch my pace sometimes when I noticed I'd be creeping up to 7.45 pace. I think we started to get to the prettier roads around mile 3.. hit the 5k mark in 24.45 which I knew was bang on target really and felt good.

Miles 4 - 6: 7.54 / 7.53 / 7.54
    Into mile 4, ignored a water station as I was feeling totally fine. Can't remember much about the 4th and 5th mile really? I know there was plenty of local support out, which was amazing, and in that weather too! There were random bands, choirs and DJs about the place too. Mile 6, I started to lag a little.. I was finding a niggle in my glute, then my hip.. but really it all came from a mental weakness! Still, was happy to keep the pace up to the end of mile 6.

Miles 7 - 9: 8.13 / 8.02 / 7.51
    Just after mile 6, I took a gel and slowed for some water (was in cups, great for the environment but bloody hard). I felt like my effort was still high but I just couldn't get above 8.30 pace. I was thinking, well I should still get a PB if you stay at this pace etc etc. Then I thought about the session last week with Maria, and remembered how I didn't think I could up the pace for the last 5k but had done so. I told myself to just TRY lift the legs a little higher, and inject some pace, and see how it feels. I did. And lo and behold, I COULD run back at sub 8 pace again. I was still a little mindful that I wanted energy for the finish, but to be honest I was gunning for sub 80 now. I was going to give it everything I had. Once I was into the second last mile, I was happy to let the pace be 7.40 / 7.45 in the parts where I was hitting it, and I was telling myself that I just had to kill it on the last mile (I was doing the maths like no tomorrow).

Last mile: 7.34
    I mean, the last mile should be the quickest right?! I was exhuasted, but still hitting the pace I needed. Started coming across a lot of runners from the previous wave here, which was so annoying as it meant more weaving when I didn't need it and I didn't want to miss my goal! My watch buzzed for 10 miles less than 100 metres (I am bad at judging) before the line but I knew if I hit the line with 1.19 still on my watch I should be safe!
    Chip time: 1.19.47

Could not wipe the smile off my face after I finished! I was so, so happy to hit my goal time! I know I would have been devastated if that was even 1 second over 80 minutes. But really, its not so much the time that I am buzzing about, its the fact I finally dug deep in a race and really gave it everything. I came so close to quitting the goal, and talked myself back into it, which is not something I've ever really managed before. That training session last week helped me so much.
    I do have to admit also that reading all the HM reports from Saturday inspired me too - I wanted my own success story!!
    I loved the race, pretty route even in the rain, and the locals were amazing. There was one street in particular where everyone was boozing in their front gardens and having the best time! I loved them. Pretty much a flat course which is always helpful too.

Total miles: 24... low enough, but given the migraine, the taper for the race.. I'll allow it. 
    Missed a recovery run tonight due to a late-ish flight home, but c'est la vie. Back to business tomorrow.

Only reading this now! Felt like I was running it with you, well done!!!

8 - 14th Oct
    Mon 8th: Was feeling good after the 20 miles the day before, so stuck with the recovery run plan. Leisurely 5k home from work @ 10.23/m.

Tue 9th: Up to club training, plan was 6 easy. We did go a little hard in parts but were chatting so not too high on effort. 6.5 @ 9.14/m.

Weds 10th: Yoga at lunchtime. Met a friend then after work who has done all her DCM training on her own, so I had wanted to meet her for a run at some point. 8 miles at 10.35/m. Beautiful evening for a run, we headed out along Sandymount, just perfect for running really! Then we went to the pub for a sparkling water... oh how times have changed!

Thurs 11th: Pilates at lunchtime. Not sure if the class was easier or I am actually getting stronger, but it felt more do-able :)
    Club training that night, 6.6 miles at 9.45/m and another lovely evening for running.

Fri 12th: Rest day and baking for parkrun on Sat :)

Sat 13th: I'd gotten all nostalgic in the lead up to my 50th parkrun.. I turned up to Marlay parkrun in Feb 2015 having started running in January, and I couldn't get over how many people were up ready to run at that time on a Saturday morning. I had to stop and walk in the 4th km (and did so on the next few iirc), but I loved it so much. Took me a while to get to the 50 what with other plans, races, life and eh laziness from time to time, but I got there eventually!
    It was a miserable wet morning on Saturday, but I didn't care! Had been chatting to one of the women in the club during the week and she agreed to try pace me to a sub-23 for my 50th (she came 2nd in the Dublin novice xc last week - she's faaaaast), and as part of her own long run! Headed up for my usual couple of easy miles to wake the legs up before parkrun, met up with my Dad who had come up especially from Offaly :) as well as one of my sisters and one of my brothers. Lined up with my personal pacer (!) and off we went! She's planned on taking the hill conservatively thankfully, so I felt pretty good heading into the 2nd km and at a decent clip. I'd turned off the pace screen on my watch so I couldn't scare myself and just stuck with her. It was heading into the 4th km (my old nemesis) that I started to feel it, and A was so amazing, talking me through picking people off and swinging my arms etc... it really helped. I was breathing pretty hard by now though! Turning onto the last straight, I really wanted to ask how we were for time but resisted and did sprint as she suggested! 22.48!! I was so happy to see this on my watch! A suggested I have a better time in me as my breathing only kicked in on the last mile but I dunno... that felt super hard!!! Nice way to mark parkrun no.50 :).Followed this with a dreadful breakfast of donuts and cookies... oops.
    Headed down to my parents then and to my physio friend for a not-so-pleasant sports massage. Left calf and eh top part of glutes were the worst areas. More foam rolling needed!

Sun 14th: Wasn't really sure how many miles to do today; knew I didn't want to do the 18 miles on the club plan as I didn't feel I had recovered enough by Limerick when I did it then. Settled on 2 hours in the end, and somewhere in the run I decided to do the last three at MP. MP should be somewhere around 8.45 (hopefully) but I did my last 3 at 8.36 / 8.22 / 8.22 .. definitely think sticking with a pacer is the right option for me given my tendency for poor pacing. 12 miles @ 9.27/m average.

Total miles: 41.8. Decent week.
    Next week will be low enough, probably stick with 8 next Sunday. Interesting pre-marathon weekend in that I will be in London going to an Enrique concert... perfect taper plan.. ahem. It was booked before I signed up to DCM in my defence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great weeks running, well done on the Park run, super stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done at Parkrun. That is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

My PBs to date
    5k:    23:46 (Twilight Challenge, Sept 2017)
    5 mile:   43:04 (Raheny 5 Mile, Jan 2017)
    10k:     50:31 (Dunshaughlin, June 2017)
    10 mile:   1:30:xx (Ballycotton, March 2017 [Goodbye my old friend])
    Half-marathon:  2:01:xx (Donabate, Sept 2017)

I took a quick look back on your opening post and look how far you've come in a year! Super impressive.
    8 - 14th Oct

That 4th km in Marlay is a killer. Well done on the PB and the 50. I was hoping to pop down but couldn't make it.

That's a brilliant time!! Comfortably under the 23 too, really well done. Definitely justifies donuts for breakfast :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    My PBs to date
    5k:    23:46 (Twilight Challenge, Sept 2017)
    5 mile:   43:04 (Raheny 5 Mile, Jan 2017)
    10k:     50:31 (Dunshaughlin, June 2017)
    10 mile:   1:30:xx (Ballycotton, March 2017 [Goodbye my old friend])
    Half-marathon:  2:01:xx (Donabate, Sept 2017)

I took a quick look back on your opening post and look how far you've come in a year! Super impressive.
    Thanks, yeah I hadn't copped that this log started pretty much a year ago... nice to see the progress now you've mentioned it! Might do an update post on the PBs after DCM 8-)

15th - 21st Oct
    Mon 15th: Very easy recovery-pace run from work, even though I didn't actually feel like much recovery was needed to be honest, but did need to keep it sensible! 3 miles @ 10.29/m.

Tues 16th: Up to the club and more easy miles. 6.2 @ 10.06/m.

Weds 17th: Yoga at lunchtime.
    Solo evening miles, wanted to hit some steady pace miles as per the plan. Steady in this marathon place is 10-20 seconds slower than MP so I figured in and around 9 min miles would be best. Steady miles: 8.58, 9.04, 8.53, 9.00 (proud of my discipline)! 6.2 total.

Thurs 18th: Was travelling to London for work so no running. Out for food and drinks with work people that night...

Fri 19th: Was staying on in London for the weekend, but had a half day so went for a run around the area I was staying in. 5 miles at a nice 9.50/m pace, and the weather was just amazing! Out for more dinner and drinks.. (and dancing)

Sat 20th: No running but yet more food and drinks..

Sun 21st: At least I had made sure to book an afternoon flight so I'd have time for my 8 miles in the evening! Felt fairly sluggish to start with but weirdly settled into it fairly ok. Average pace 10.01/m.

Total miles: 28.7. Sensibly low I hope!

Aaaaaand we're into the final week. I'm still feeling rather relaxed about the 26.2 next Sunday. I'm determined to enjoy it. I also accept that I will have at least one "moment" - the route goes past St Vincent's where G died last year, in fact you can see the room window. But I've run past it a few times now, and I'll have that moment and that will be that. Some stark reminders this past month within the family of how lucky we are all to able to train for this event, let alone run it, and of course the post from themadhouse in the Novices Thread has been the biggest reminder of all that sometimes these events are exactly what we all need to get by. No doubt there will be a number of people around me on the day who have needed the focus of DCM this year for god knows how many reasons.

Right, I'm off to fill in the table in the Novices Thread... eeek

Despite telling myself don't change your race plan this week, I have changed my plan! 
    All the talk of not taking the first 10k - 7 miles too hard and being conservative has me worried. The pacers run even splits, which is obviously not starting conservatively. 

Sooooo looking at pace bands, I've figured out what I want to / should hit 10k, halfway etc in, and the average paces within those stages. Looking at the paces I need to hit in the second half though is a little frightening as obviously they are faster than my PMP - although I was doing them too fast sometimes, maybe it was sub-conscious preparation?!
    I'll still go near the 3.50 pacers but allow them to get away and not fret about it in the first half or maybe even up to 20 miles.
    And relax...

It's a minefield! In one of the threads (Sub 4 I think?) RayCun gave advice in response to a question of mine about pacing which made sense to me anyway. He was suggesting starting way at the back of a pace group and allowing them to drift away on the uphills, etc. So you have them there as a general guide but you're not sticking to even splits and you can still run your own race. Then you can up your pace and catch them (or pass them!) later.

Pretty much what you're talking about doing now I think!

Yeah I've been reading all the advice on any thread I see (even the sub 3 ha!) and it does make a lot of sense. Most importantly, it will stop me from taking off like a hare.

I am officially suffering the madness though, hopefully yoga today will help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yeah I've been reading all the advice on any thread I see (even the sub 3 ha!) and it does make a lot of sense. Most importantly, it will stop me from taking off like a hare.

I am officially suffering the madness though, hopefully yoga today will help!

I think you are one of many suffering from that madness today. It’s only going to get worse the next few days. Roll on Sunday morn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I think your plan to not stay glued to the 3:50 pacers for at least the first half is a wise one. Then slowly reel them in. Your training has been fantastic so you really deserve it for it to go well. Weirdly, your 5km PB (so jealous you could get a 5km PB at that stage of marathon training) is now the exact same as mine to the second :) I haven't managed to beat that time in 3 years:o
    Having only recently gone back and read from the beginning of a few logs including yours, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the difficulties you've had to face over the past year. I'm glad that running has helped in some way.
    I'm also quite envious of your club training sessions and having groups to run with, it's something I've been meaning to look into, might do in the new year.

Advertisement