Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I think your plan to not stay glued to the 3:50 pacers for at least the first half is a wise one. Then slowly reel them in. Your training has been fantastic so you really deserve it for it to go well. Weirdly, your 5km PB (so jealous you could get a 5km PB at that stage of marathon training) is now the exact same as mine to the second I haven't managed to beat that time in 3 years Having only recently gone back and read from the beginning of a few logs including yours, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the difficulties you've had to face over the past year. I'm glad that running has helped in some way. I'm also quite envious of your club training sessions and having groups to run with, it's something I've been meaning to look into, might do in the new year.

Thank you, and also weirdly I was reading your logs first post earlier and noticed the same thing about the 5k time!

Sorry about your training, really disappointed for you that the hard training has been affected by an injury. Hope you make it through the race pain-free.

If you're near Dundrum come join our club 😀 we can work on that 5k time together 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Thank you, and also weirdly I was reading your logs first post earlier and noticed the same thing about the 5k time!

Sorry about your training, really disappointed for you that the hard training has been affected by an injury. Hope you make it through the race pain-free.

If you're near Dundrum come join our club �� we can work on that 5k time together ��

Thanks. Hmm I actually do live very close to Dundrum. I'll definitely look into it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

You have done a really good block of training for Dublin and you are well prepared, recent race results are testament to that. The last week nerves seem to be affecting everyone but trust in your training, you are more than capable of achieving those splits at the weekend. Best of luck on Sunday and enjoy it.

tbukela wrote: »
    You have done a really good block of training for Dublin and you are well prepared, recent race results are testament to that. The last week nerves seem to be affecting everyone but trust in your training, you are more than capable of achieving those splits at the weekend. Best of luck on Sunday and enjoy it.
    Thank you! Feeling a lot calmer today having read back over my training last night; the work is there.
    Best of luck to you too! I've enjoyed following your training log and you've gotten so strong. Really hope the day goes to plan for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The work IS there along with some nice PBs to give you confidence. Have a really great run on Sunday and if you spot me in Milltown, this time say hi! Good luck and enjoy!

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Wooo, almost there!! Best of luck tomorrow V! You've had an amazing run the last few weeks, great training and great racing! You're going to do brilliantly tomorrow. Looking forward to congratulating you afterwards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great day V, hope it goes as well for you as the training!

Hmmmm. Ok recap the week first.
    Mon 22nd: Nothing, just lovely rest. My cold had gotten worse however, so started taking some druggie wuggies for it, as well as dosing up on Vitamin C.

Tues 23rd: Club plan had 6 miles, but I kept it to 3 as I didn't want to overdo it while the cold was hanging around. Ended up running with some of the ladies who had completed the club couch to 5k. Avg pace 11.20/m. Felt fine, legs felt good. Did yoga at lunchtime Tuesday too.

Weds 24th: Another rest day. Had to head down to my parents for the night.

Thurs 25th: Came back up from Offaly in time for club training, and kept it to another easy 3 miles (avg pace 9.45/m). Legs were feeling lovely now!

Fri 26th: Rest day, but decided to do 30 mins yoga at home. Had some really weird marathon nightmares that night!!

Sat 27th: Very easy 10 mins to loosen the legs, included a few strides, before volunteering at my sister's 50th parkrun (she PB'd :)) Honestly, I was feeling good if not only a little nervy about DCM.

Sun 28th: Marathon Day.
    Had headed to bed nice and early, after a little meditation, and slept really well. Got up at 6 and had the usual breakfast of porridge with banana, toast and tea. Went for the first Luas with some of the clubmates, and we got into town for 7.30, where we had the use of a house near Merrion square for gathering and photo-taking and a bit of a warm-up. (usual bit of a jog with a few dynamic stretches, probably not needed but was nice to contain the excitement and nerves).
    It wasn't as cold as the day before, so I ditched any ideas of arm warmers and just brought an old hoodie to ditch at the start line. The set-up is amazing I have to say, with the waves separated clearly and moving at the right times. So impressed by it all. Myself and one of my clubmates were planning on the same pace for at least the first 7 miles, so we lined up together somewhere near the back of wave 2. It was great to finally get started! 
    Miles 1-4 (9.10, 8.51, 8.59, 8.47)
    I was surprised at people being out cheering at Leeson Street and Stephen's Green cos how would you ever see anyone you know in those congested crowds?! It was good to see we could hit the 9 min pace early on though, not too much bunching really. Anyway, about 5 minutes in, I got this weird ache on my lower left front. I thought maybe it was some sort of stitch, and just ignored it. Massaged the area a couple of times. Didn't say anything to J as that would make it real! Legs were feeling zippy as everyone said they would, given the taper so we were constantly pulling ourselves back. Hard to judge it sometimes too by our watches; think the buildings were knocking them off. By the third mile I think, the ache had kinda moved to the right,but I just kept chatting to try ignore it, and giving it the odd massage.

Miles 5 - 8 (8.54, 8.52, 9.00, 8.40)
    To be honest, I can't remember any specifics about these miles except knowing I was enjoying the race environment but somewhere along Chesterfield Avenue, the pain had settled into a weird cramp kind of feeling all across my stomach. Again, I didn't want to focus on it so chose to concentrate on attempting to keep the pace down and not hit 10k in less than 56 mins! Think we were 56.30 ish, which was close to my target for that stage, maybe 20 secs too fast. Coming up to 9 mile mark maybe, my clubmate said "this is good, I feel great! how are you?" ... and I had to admit I was feeling not so well!!!  She offered to slow down but I said no, it wouldn't make a difference and my legs were fine anyway. So on we tipped.
    Miles 9 - 12 and a bit
    I can't even remember where it was now, but possibly after that hill near St Laurences, but my stomach just started to clench and cramp really badly. I told J to tip on and not worry about me, I'd figure something out. But I was already thinking this might not be a day for carrying on. I knew I had family up ahead between 12and 13 miles so I told myself I'd keep going to there at whatever pace. Coming up near 12 miles I gave walking a go to see if it helped, and yes the pain felt a bit less, but not comfortable by any means. I know people mean well, but it was annoying to have people tell me I'm fine when I thought I was going to vomit!! When I started jogging again, it was even worse, my belly was physically sore :( so I knew, I was just going to find my family and pull out. I had one brief moment thinking, well what if you just try get to templeogue where the first of the club supporters are and all the roads you know, and my stomach clenched massively as if in warning!

Saw my sister-in-law and niece and nephew and jogged over in relief, and explained the situation. Herself and my sisters were great in checking if I'd have any regrets, but really, the thoughts of trying to ignore increasingly bad cramps for another 2 hours (or more, who knows) was not appealing. This is supposed to be fun (or at least, until the 20 mile mark).

Had a lovely walk from Dolphin's Barn along the canal then to try persuade people to let me in to get my bag... grr.
    Stomach was acting up all day yesterday then, not much of an appetite and certainly none for alcohol!

Am I annoyed and disappointed? Yes, I really am. But I also know I tried very hard to get through it so I am not disappointed in myself. Seems like a case of bad luck. It was suggested that maybe the neurofen for my wisdom tooth, and cold and flu tablets might have done a number on my stomach this week, but I could be guessing forever what it was. Diet was nothing new, so it can't be that anyway.
    I still have solid training behind me, am definitely the fittest I've ever been, and on a plus side, I don't need 3 weeks recovery now.

Was great to see and hear about so many great performances yesterday from my family, club and obviously the people on here!! Really thrilled for all who had the best days, and impressed by those who battled on despite things going wrong.
    It was lovely to put some names to faces in McGrattan's also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah no, that’s disappointing. You made the right decision though. Hard luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Really sorry to hear that. You did the right thing though and the training will stand to you.

So sorry to hear that, such bad luck. There are so many unknowns that can be thrown at you when it comes to the marathon. But your attitude is great. Your day will come:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

So sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better. Onwards and upwards.

Really unlucky. You definitely did the right thing though. And you've hit so many amazing PBs recently that the training was clearly worthwhile regardless!

It was great to get to meet you in McGrattan's afterwards, really enjoyed chatting to you! Hope the stomach is better today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

That took a lot of guts to pull out of the race like that. You definitely did the right thing and as you said yourself, you're in a great place fitness wise!
    Onwards and upwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Very honest report there V and as others have said, it was a brave decision to pull out.
    The training will stand to you. Tomorrow is another day x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I was gutted for you yesterday. You did the right thing though. Your attitude was great though and fair play for coming in to McGrattans after. Hope you better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Just getting around to reading these now! Reading your race report, it clearly was the brave decision to pull out and reiterating what others have said, you have a fantastic attitude to it and fairplay for coming to McGrattans! Looking forward to seeing your shorter stuff now, and the gains you'll have gotten from all of this training! Hopefully you'll come back to it sometime and have your win :)

Oct 29 - Nov 4
    This is definitely a dull update :)
    Mon 29th: went for a walk in Marlay, got a weird pain under my right rib almost immediately which came and went. Noted it, and thought maybe the stomach still hadn't settled. Had an appetite thank god.

Tues 30th: Walked to work, pain there again.

Weds 31st: Same thing on the walk. Finally went to the dentist about my wisdom tooth; got put on very strong antibiotics which completely knocked me out that night.

Thurs 1st: Avoided any exercise, even walking.

Fri 2nd: walked to work, still could feel that weirdness on the right side but I do also wonder if I am starting to overthink it at this point.

Sat 3rd: Needed a parkrun to clear the head. Just ran without looking at my watch, but my stomach was totally off! Finished in over 26 mins and honestly came close to getting sick at the end even though I never pushed at all. I do think this was the antibiotic though. Off to a hen then to not drink, the joys!

Sun 4th: Contemplated a run just to see, but in the end left it. I'll try a runmute tomorrow. Also, I think my quads are at me from wearing heels all day yesterday :D

3.1 miles for the week! Didn't even do warm-up miles at parkrun.
    So what's up with me? Most obvious thing seems to be that I might well be run down. I had thought it leading up to the marathon because my skin was so bad, which is a classic sign with me, but dosed up with vitamins in an attempt to counteract it because what else could I do at that point? Not sure if it was the training had me run down, but probably the combination of that, the weather, and a couple of stressing factors elsewhere in my life. But that's how life goes, when will everything ever be perfect?

The plan from here is still slightly up in the air, but only in terms of choosing a plan to follow. My goals next year are improving over 5k and 10k. If I go near half-marathon or 10 mile times, it will be in later part of 2019, but certainly no marathons.
    From now until Christmas it will be base-building and hopefully seeing if there is anything I can do to improve form. I have signed up for the Fields of Athenry 10k on St. Stephen's Day which will hopefully let me know where I'm at heading into the New Year then (insane to be talking about December and the new year..).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've found that both this year and last. The focus is so much on the marathon that Autumn kinda passes you by....then the marathon is over and it's suddenly winter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Mind yourself. I think probiotics are brilliant and take Alforex daily. They’d be especially important after antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yes, please mind yourself. If that feeling of being unwell and the pain persists, go to the dr. Feel better soon x

How are you feeling today V? Be kind to yourself! The running will be there waiting for you when you're ready for it but no rush, need to be feeling good first :)

eyrie wrote:
    How are you feeling today V? Be kind to yourself! The running will be there waiting for you when you're ready for it but no rush, need to be feeling good first

Good! Finished my antibiotic so felt really good running home today thankfully.

Fri 26th: Rest day, but decided to do 30 mins yoga at home. Had some really weird marathon nightmares that night!!
    Mystery. Solved. (maybe)

Went to yoga today, and as will often happen, we do some twists. Oh hello there familiar pain... and then I remember I went deep with the twists during this 30 mins yoga at home the Friday night before the marathon. I was also taking neurofen for my wisdom tooth which likely masked any pain in the immediate aftermath, but I honestly think I must have done some damage in the muscles under my ribs on the right-hand side. 
    No idea if this would have affected me marathon day, but at least I know what the weirdness was all last week when walking. 

No more unsupervised yoga for me just in case :)

Nov 5th - 11th
    Mon 5th: brought in the backpack to work to try out a runmute that evening. Stuck to a 5k route in case I was feeling crappy, but I felt really good. Contemplated doing further but reminded myself there was nothing to be gained from that in this down period. 5k @ 9.58/m.

Tues 6th: Went to yoga at lunchtime and had the lightbulb moment above! Still kept to my plan of running home (and a longer route) and while there was some discomfort in my right side, it wasn't dreadful. The rain may have been a bit of a distraction however! Hadn't any contacts with me so the glasses were basically useless, especially against the car lights and honest to god, I landed in every puddle. Drainage in Dublin is shocking. It was quite exhilarating however ! 5 miles @ 9.44/m

Weds 7th: nuffink

Thurs 8th: Another runmute, and another route home just to keep my life interesting! 5miles @ 10.12/m. Did feel a little tired but nothing major.

Fri 9th: Abandoned plans to drive home to my parents given the rotten weather. So a night in with a jigsaw and indian takeaway. I am WILD I tell you.

Sat 10th: My brother gave me the idea to try a new parkrun en route to my parents Sat morning, Griffeen just being off the N4! Was a bit early so said I'd jog around for a bit to check the place out.. got lost even though it's not that big a park :silly:
    Made it back to the start area and saw coogy :)had a little chat with him and said I would start easy and see what happens, because I know myself I would get caught up in it all eventually! In the end I stuck to about 7.50/m pace for the first 2 miles, which is closer to 10 mile pace really so I told myself I wasn't being too mental, and then increased effort a little for the last mile. Finished with 24.36 which is almost 2 minutes off my fastest 5k time so I don't think I am being too irresponsible after a marathon training cycle (minus a marathon) Chatted to coogy again afterwards who had not taken it easy :Pgreat to hear everyone in the Novice's groups' plans to be honest! Everyone is raring to go again

Sun 11th: Set an alarm for a morning run. Alarm went off but I did not get up! I think my biggest treat I can give myself these days is a lie-in on a Sunday morning! Was looking at Strava later then and felt guilty so headed out in the afternoon. 7.3 miles @ 9.23/m. Probably a bit hard at times but I was enjoying running without looking at the watch.

Total miles: 25.3. Nice week. One where I can say I enjoyed every mile.

Starting the grads base-building plan this week. Have a bit of travel coming up the next few weeks though, so a bit of juggling will have to be done. Also need to study the pace ranges properly. I fear my easy is not easy enough at times. There are a few from the Novice group starting this soon, so safety in numbers etc etc!

Not sure this is updating correctly...

There are 10 different pace ranges on the grads plans. Ye will find out soon enough if your easy pace is too fast as you won't be able to find 8 faster paces than it! :pac: I have a feeling that the very easy pace will be even harder to adjust to. Contact Eyrie for details on how to do it right!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There are 10 different pace ranges on the grads plans. Ye will find out soon enough if your easy pace is too fast as you won't be able to find 8 faster paces than it! :pac: I have a feeling that the very easy pace will be even harder to adjust to. Contact Eyrie for details on how to do it right!

Yeah I will be stalking her Strava and log here for sure :rolleyes:

I think I've been considering my easy pace what is actually moderate pace on that, so I will have to work to adjust that one anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah I will be stalking her Strava and log here for sure :rolleyes:

I think I've been considering my easy pace what is actually moderate pace on that, so I will have to work to adjust that one anyway.

I'm biased but I think it works. I know people say they feel easy on runs so it must be easy but that just isn't the case physically. I could run at 7:27 for a marathon so I could easily bang out relatively easy 5/6 mile runs at that pace. However somewhere in the range of 8:40 is my easy pace. The sessions will be the only tough days and two of those a week is perfect. The rest are basically recovery runs.

Advertisement