Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    I'm biased but I think it works. I know people say they feel easy on runs so it must be easy but that just isn't the case physically. I could run at 7:27 for a marathon so I could easily bang out relatively easy 5/6 mile runs at that pace. However somewhere in the range of 8:40 is my easy pace. The sessions will be the only tough days and two of those a week is perfect. The rest are basically recovery runs.

No I do agree and I know that while I've been mindful of effort, I've never been strict on myself with paces. And I've certainly seen results of it working for other people, not just here but in the club too.
    I'm going to get a big lesson on patience with this too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

One of the lads who is a 15min 5k/2:32 marathon runner recently got a new coach who done all the lactate tests and such on him to measure his intensities. Guy used to run 6:30 to 7 pace most days. He's strapped up with a heartrate monitor on those runs and his easy days are now 8:10 to 8:20 no joke. He can run 5:50 pace for 26 miles but he never paid much attention to his lower intensity levels so he is still aerobically underdeveloped. He won't even run around his own town now out of fear of embarrasment:pac: but he ran he ran a 5k PB 3 weeks ago.

There was this guy as well and probably one of the best articles on running I've ever read. He was a stud but the principles scale down to everyone imo.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2006/09/wejo-speaks-why-i-sucked-in-college/

I know a lot of people will look at that and go he was running 30 minutes for a 10k but the jump from 30 to 28:06 is astronomical and if guys at that level can make huge performance leaps from those simple aspects of training, it shows just how important those aspects can be. Anyway, good luck with the plan, it's a good un:)

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    One of the lads who is a 15min 5k/2:32 marathon runner recently got a new coach who done all the lactate tests and such on him to measure his intensities. Guy used to run 6:30 to 7 pace most days. He's strapped up with a heartrate monitor on those runs and his easy days are now 8:10 to 8:20 no joke. He can run 5:50 pace for 26 miles but he never paid much attention to his lower intensity levels so he is still aerobically underdeveloped. He won't even run around his own town now out of fear of embarrasment:pac: but he ran he ran a 5k PB 3 weeks ago.

There was this guy as well and probably one of the best articles on running I've ever read. He was a stud but the principles scale down to everyone imo.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2006/09/wejo-speaks-why-i-sucked-in-college/

I know a lot of people will look at that and go he was running 30 minutes for a 10k but the jump from 30 to 28:06 is astronomical and if guys at that level can make huge performance leaps from those simple aspects of training, it shows just how important those aspects can be. Anyway, good luck with the plan, it's a good un:)
    Great article, thanks for sharing! 
    I think I will have a very easy pace which will be properly embarrassing but as my mother often reminds me, "sure who's going to be looking at ya" :O:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

ReeReeG wrote: »
    brought in the backpack to work to try out a runmute that evening.

What did you think of the runmuting?

All my mid-week runs at the moment are runmutes, and I love it. Easiest way for me to fit them in. At the start, the hardest part was the logistics of what I needed to bring with me and what I could leave behind. Generally end up at the end of the week hauling a massive gear bag on the bus with me tho, so I haven't quite figured it out yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great article, thanks for sharing! 
    I think I will have a very easy pace which will be properly embarrassing but as my mother often reminds me, "sure who's going to be looking at ya" :O:P

When you're running 13-minute miles like me, then you can get embarrassed :D I actually get more embarrassed when I'm running a session and huffing and puffing past people rather than when I'm lumbering along at my easy pace.

It's funny, from marshaling parkrun and watching the marathon, it's not really that easy to tell what pace people are running at. So I keep telling myself, anyway.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    What did you think of the runmuting? 

All my mid-week runs at the moment are runmutes, and I love it. Easiest way for me to fit them in. At the start, the hardest part was the logistics of what I needed to bring with me and what I could leave behind. Generally end up at the end of the week hauling a massive gear bag on the bus with me tho, so I haven't quite figured it out yet.  :)
    Hey! I'm actually fairly used to it, would do it now and again this last year but before I started going to the club it was how I was getting most of my midweek runs in. I love it, such a good way to wind down from work and also be smug while everyone on the road is stuck in their cars :)
    When I started doing them, I realised one of the smartest purchases I could make was a good raincoat i.e. something decent for heading into work but also something that rolls up easily into the backpack for running home. I somehow avoid having to haul stuff home at the end of the week but I suspect its easier to transport a dress and tights home in the backpack than trousers and shirts or whatever men do be wearing :P
    Couldn't plan one today anyway cos I need to bring my laptop home tonight, that's where it gets messed up!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's funny, from marshaling parkrun and watching the marathon, it's not really that easy to tell what pace people are running at. So I keep telling myself, anyway.
    I agree, and even more so when you're running solo, no comparisons around.

Hey! I'm actually fairly used to it, would do it now and again this last year but before I started going to the club it was how I was getting most of my midweek runs in. I love it, such a good way to wind down from work and also be smug while everyone on the road is stuck in their cars :)
    When I started doing them, I realised one of the smartest purchases I could make was a good raincoat i.e. something decent for heading into work but also something that rolls up easily into the backpack for running home. I somehow avoid having to haul stuff home at the end of the week but I suspect its easier to transport a dress and tights home in the backpack than trousers and shirts or whatever men do be wearing :P
    Couldn't plan one today anyway cos I need to bring my laptop home tonight, that's where it gets messed up!

I invested in a North Face Thermoball for this purpose - it's tidy enough to wear to work but folds up really small for shoving in the backpack for the runmute.

When I started doing them, I realised one of the smartest purchases I could make was a good raincoat i.e. something decent for heading into work but also something that rolls up easily into the backpack for running home.
    I invested in a North Face Thermoball for this purpose - it's tidy enough to wear to work but folds up really small for shoving in the backpack for the runmute.

Definitely something I need to sort, cheers for the tip! At the moment, I run home on, say, Tuesday evening (leaving a jacket in work) and run into work on the Wednesday morning. And even then I still end up with a load of gear in work come Friday. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry that's how DCM worked out for you. Listening to the body applies as much to races as training. Right call. Hope the tail end of 2018 involves some crisp mornings, fun to train in. :) Also dipped my toe on the yoga front (DIY/Youtube), eh..we'll see. :P Inishbofin will be something to look forward to. Good luck with the grads plan.

• Advertisement

Sorry that's how DCM worked out for you. Listening to the body applies as much to races as training. Right call. Hope the tail end of 2018 involves some crisp mornings, fun to train in. :) Also dipped my toe on the yoga front (DIY/Youtube), eh..we'll see. :P Inishbofin will be something to look forward to. Good luck with the grads plan.

Careful with the home yoga :) Thanks, have enjoyed this first week of it anyway!

Nov 12-18th: Grads base-building plan Week 1

This is my first time following a plan from Boards, and also my first time running by minutes as opposed to distance. Well, apart from when I started running and was trying to keep running for 10, then 15 then 20 mins etc. I was nervous about it, purely because I am not used to running the slower paces prescribed by the runfastcoach calculator but I was also determined to do this right, so it has turned out to be a not-so-bad start.

Mon 12th
    Plan: 20 mins recovery or off
    Actual: 50 mins very easy
    I was going to be travelling with work and wouldn't have an opportunity to run on Tuesday so I did a little switching about. Target pace was 10.46-11.34/m, and I averaged 10.54/m. I used the opportunity of running slower to try focus on technique a little bit; only a couple of things as I don't think I can improve or work on everything at once. This week I decided the focus was on bending the knees a little better, or at least working from the hips more - it kind of feels that goes hand in hand? And also looking straight ahead as opposed to down on the ground. I noticed when I slacked off on these I automatically sped up! It was tough on the concentration side but that's to be expected. 4.6 miles total.

Tues 13th
    Plan: 45 mins very easy
    Actual: Nothing.

Weds 14th
    Plan: 60 min progression
    Actual:Nothing
    I had fully intended on heading out for a run as soon as I got home from the airport, but I was truly exhausted. I looked at the plan and thought this could be my Thursday i.e. 45 mins or OFF and take the OFF option. In one way, I actually thought this was smart because then I'm not increasing miles again by too much..

Thurs 15th
    Actual: 60 min progression run, plus warm-up and cool down
    Having checked in with Huzzah! about her approach, I decided to go for 4 splits of 15 mins each as this meant just picking 4 paces from easy to MP (MP seemed to match the easy tempo pace from the calculator). It went pretttttty well, I was really pleased with my discipline for the most part.
    1st 15 mins: 10.30, 10.43(0.42 miles) -- target pace was 10.20-10.40
    2nd 15 mins: 9.55, 9.50 (0.52 miles) -- target pace 9.40 - 10.00
    3rd 15 mins: 9.16, 9.24 (0.61 miles) -- target pace 9.10 - 9.25
    4th 15 mins: 8.41, 8.41 (0.73 miles) -- target pace 8.40 - 8.50
    Total miles for the evening 8.1
    It felt really good. There were moments where I wondered how the hell I was going to be able to pick up to 8.40ish pace as it felt laboured at 9.50 but I think that was the concentration levels! I was trying to focus on lifting from the hips again but I do think I forgot a lot during the last section. Was really pleased with this though.

Fri 16th
    Plan: 45 mins very easy or OFF
    Actual: 30 mins very easy
    I couldn't run that evening so I sneaked in a little lunchtime 5k as anything more than 30 mins-ish would be taking the p*ss with my lunch break when you consider showering etc. This was lovely. Went down to Merrion square for a few laps. Average pace was 10.49/m which is right in the required range.

Sat 17th
    Plan: 40 mins easy with 10 x 100m strides
    Actual: 40 mins easy with 10 x 100m strides, plus warm-up and cool down
    I thought about doing this within parkrun but admitted to myself that I would never keep it easy enough due to my stupid competitive side.Timed it so I would finish at the same time as parkrun however so I wouldn't miss out on the chats :)
    I was mostly ok on my easy part except for one mile which was a little quick but averaged out ok at 10.50/m. The strides were not very good. I took the AP from the plan to mean Aerobic Pace which meant 7.09-7.18... I only got that right on 2 of the 10 reps, close enough on 2 more, and then either way too fast or way too slow on the others. It's very hard to get the effort right on only 100 metres... total miles for the morning: 6.1

Sun 18th
    Plan: 90 mins easy
    Actual: 90 mins easy
    After a night in my sisters complete with red wine and a fry this morning (oops), I headed up to the Phoenix Park to make the most of the amazing day that it was! This went really well, apart from losing concentration slightly on miles 6 and 7 which were 3 seconds too quick each :p but averaged the 8.7 miles at 10.24 which is in the correct range. One possibly bad thing however... I tried to run on grass for most of it as my left shin is a little tender.. not enough to stop me running but enough to be noticeable. Getting out the ice later, and will keep an eye on it.

Total miles: 30.6.

Really enjoyed this week, and it went better than I expected, as in, I didn't find it as hard to slow down as I thought I would.
    Will have to do some more juggling of days this week because I am away in Amsterdam with work for a few days, but will definitely be packing the running gear.
    I had a look at what races I want to do next year and it's almost working out at one or two 10ks per month from March - July, which is possibly too much but I'll have a look again.

Nov 12-18th: Grads base-building plan Week 1

Thurs 15th
    Actual: 60 min progression run, plus warm-up and cool down
    Having checked in with Huzzah! about her approach, I decided to go for 4 splits of 15 mins each as this meant just picking 4 paces from easy to MP (MP seemed to match the easy tempo pace from the calculator). It went pretttttty well, I was really pleased with my discipline for the most part.
    1st 15 mins: 10.30, 10.43(0.42 miles) -- target pace was 10.20-10.40
    2nd 15 mins: 9.55, 9.50 (0.52 miles) -- target pace 9.40 - 10.00
    3rd 15 mins: 9.16, 9.24 (0.61 miles) -- target pace 9.10 - 9.25
    4th 15 mins: 8.41, 8.41 (0.73 miles) -- target pace 8.40 - 8.50
    Total miles for the evening 8.1

Nicely done. I only twigged that easy tempo = MP after you asked how to structure the run, despite there being a discussion on this very point in the Random Running Questions thread during the summer.
    I had a look at what races I want to do next year and it's almost working out at one or two 10ks per month from March - July, which is possibly too much but I'll have a look again.

I'd be interested to know what are the potential targets if you wouldn't mind? I was struggling to find some suitable 10ks apart from perhaps the Great Ireland Run.

I'd be interested to know what are the potential targets if you wouldn't mind? I was struggling to find some suitable 10ks apart from perhaps the Great Ireland Run.

Sure... my list of want-to-dos are:
    Jan - Raheny 5
    Feb - Ras na hEirean (xc, a vengeance run after this year's struggle)
    March - Craughwell 10k
    Apr - GIR
    May - Inisbofin 10k, would also like to try some of the track meets again, they start from May on I think. I'm also thinking I might try persuade some of the clan to do the Limerick Marathon RELAY - legs are between 5-7 miles I think

June - Mini Marathon and Dunshaughlin
    July - Race Series.. day of irish PBs if it happens again

I know there's the Bob Heffernan 5k somewhere early summer too, that boardsies seemed to like...?
    I'll be broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nicely done. I only twigged that easy tempo = MP after you asked how to structure the run, despite there being a discussion on this very point in the Random Running Questions thread during the summer.

Have you looked at the BHAA site? They have a very good 10k at the K Club

skyblue46 wrote: »

Have you looked at the BHAA site? They have a very good 10k at the K Club

I’ve actually done it twice but thanks for the reminder. I’d checked recently to see when it was on in 2019 but had forgotten again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enjoyed reading your week’s report as I’m starting the grads plan tomorrow. How do you like the slow days?

I'm also thinking I might try persuade some of the clan to do the Limerick Marathon RELAY - legs are between 5-7 miles I think

I've been looking into this one as well (trying to persuade some of the family to do it, but having no success. Yet. :)) One of the legs is 8 miles I think, but aside from that, one thing I really like is you get to all meet up and run the last .5 mile together.

Not sure if that's standard practice for other relay marathons but it's a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm delighted you're enjoying the plan so far! I loved it (and am more than a little jealous of you all doing it now...). That's a great week to have done. Personally I wouldn't worry about hitting a particular pace for the strides at all. Mind the shin though, hopefully it's nothing?

13-25th Nov

Mon 13th
    Actual: Nothing. Was traveling over to Amsterdam for a customer event so did nothing but the exhausting task of networking :p

Tues 14th
    Actual: 45 mins very easy. Really boring Amsterdam miles around the office area which I was warned was dodgy so didn't want to stray too far... apparently this was false info and I needn't have worried. Oh well, got it done. 4.2 miles @ 11.12/m. Shin wasn't great but I ignored it.

Weds 15th
    Plan: 45 mins moderate
    Actual: Nothing. Was traveling home so said I'd swap this for Friday's "off" option.

Thurs 16th
    Actual: 45 min moderate incl warm up and cool down. Was looking forward to this after a lot of slow running. One mile warm up (11.03) and then some moderate paced miles (9.10, 9.19, 9.09, 9.08, 9.21) and a cool down (10.44). Look, I'd be lying if I said my shin was perfect. It was less sore when running the moderate miles but presumably because I was springing off it quicker. Enjoyed the run though.

Fri 17th
    Plan: 45 mins easy or off
    Actual: 45 mins very easy. 4.6 miles @ 10.57/m. Shin was very sore. I tried to ignored it but let's be real here: that's not sensible.

Sat 18th
    Plan: 40 mins easy, last 5 @ threshold.
    Actual: Nothing. I was a bit eh, tired and emotional, but planned to run. However, my shin was now aching me while walking so I decided to skip this.

Sun 19th
    Actual: Nothing. I was thinking about my shin and how this pain is not normal for me; very sore to touch and had been sore when walking. Do I prefer to take 2 weeks off now or be forced to take longer off in a few weeks? I know what I prefer.

Total:15.9

I went along to watch the National XC today and it was amazing; the standard is just unreal. It was so exciting to watch!
    I don't think I'll ever make that standard but I need to listen to when my body is in distress if I ever even want to entertain that notion. My brother also decided to be a spectator and was trying to tell me I could probably run through this pain and be okay, but I think I'd rather err on the side of caution on this one. Gonna bench myself for a couple of weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

13-25th Nov

Mon 13th
    Actual: Nothing. Was traveling over to Amsterdam for a customer event so did nothing but the exhausting task of networking :p

Tues 14th
    Actual: 45 mins very easy. Really boring Amsterdam miles around the office area which I was warned was dodgy so didn't want to stray too far... apparently this was false info and I needn't have worried. Oh well, got it done. 4.2 miles @ 11.12/m. Shin wasn't great but I ignored it.

Weds 15th
    Plan: 45 mins moderate
    Actual: Nothing. Was traveling home so said I'd swap this for Friday's "off" option.

Thurs 16th
    Actual: 45 min moderate incl warm up and cool down. Was looking forward to this after a lot of slow running. One mile warm up (11.03) and then some moderate paced miles (9.10, 9.19, 9.09, 9.08, 9.21) and a cool down (10.44). Look, I'd be lying if I said my shin was perfect. It was less sore when running the moderate miles but presumably because I was springing off it quicker. Enjoyed the run though.

Fri 17th
    Plan: 45 mins easy or off
    Actual: 45 mins very easy. 4.6 miles @ 10.57/m. Shin was very sore. I tried to ignored it but let's be real here: that's not sensible.

Sat 18th
    Plan: 40 mins easy, last 5 @ threshold.
    Actual: Nothing. I was a bit eh, tired and emotional, but planned to run. However, my shin was now aching me while walking so I decided to skip this.

Sun 19th
    Actual: Nothing. I was thinking about my shin and how this pain is not normal for me; very sore to touch and had been sore when walking. Do I prefer to take 2 weeks off now or be forced to take longer off in a few weeks? I know what I prefer.

Total:15.9

I went along to watch the National XC today and it was amazing; the standard is just unreal. It was so exciting to watch!
    I don't think I'll ever make that standard but I need to listen to when my body is in distress if I ever even want to entertain that notion. My brother also decided to be a spectator and was trying to tell me I could probably run through this pain and be okay, but I think I'd rather err on the side of caution on this one. Gonna bench myself for a couple of weeks..

I think you're right to take some time off V and rest your leg. Would you consider going to see a physio, seeing as you have pain when walking? Mind yourself.

I think you're right to take some time off V and rest your leg. Would you consider going to see a physio, seeing as you have pain when walking? Mind yourself.

To be honest, even this morning after the couple days rest, it's much better. No pain at all. Doesn't mean I'll be running yet though, just means even more days off will be good for it!

Sorry to hear you're benched, but glad to hear you're feeling better already. Hopefully the downtime will see you right.

I just think males are less conservative than females. You're right to listen to your body. Apart from anything, it's the right time of year to take some time to recuperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Recover well ReeReeG, you've had a big year, a few down weeks now will pay dividends in the long run (excuse the pun :P)! This is what i'm trying to tell myself anyhow. Hopefully we'll all be able hit the ground running in 2019 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds like you're being extremely sensible! If it's even sore to walk on or just to touch, that can't be ignored. But the fact that it's responding well and you're feeling better already is great!

Soooo... watching XC: I take it it doesn't look like there's a whole other bunch of people who are slow and just do it for the craic, no? There goes my hope... :eek:

eyrie wrote: »
    Soooo... watching XC: I take it it doesn't look like there's a whole other bunch of people who are slow and just do it for the craic, no? There goes my hope... :eek:

Not so much at the National champs no! But there are plenty other xc races for you try like the Novice and Open races. And a couple on the BHAA calendar too I believe. There is also Ras na hEireann in Feb, but not sure if you need to be a club runner.. it's on the Battle of the Boyne site, great event :D

Eek my poor neglected log. Had to go hunting down the pages for it!

Not much to log anyway. Took two weeks off fully, and apparently for me that meant taking a break from eating well also :( disaster. Worked well though as I had a bit of work and personal travel, and my friend's hen to plan, and I'm changing role in work so things have been fairly hectic.

Got in a couple of runs towards the end of last week, and just decided to take them from the base building plan still
    Thurs 6th Dec: 60 mins very easy
    Sat 8th Dec: 50 mins with 9mins easy, 1 min hard.
    Mon 10th: Ran home yesterday and did more than the plan has, but only because I wanted to pick up longer spikes for this weekend. Kept it easy paced.

About 16 miles total in the last couple of weeks. I agreed to join the club for the National Novice XC this Saturday in Navan, which honestly terrifies me the closer it gets. I'm not going to be making any great shapes at this, but I'll try enjoy it somehow. At least I won't be turning up with track-length spikes again a la Ras na hEireann last Feb :rolleyes:

I've also signed up for the one mile race at NIA live on 18th because Happy Christmas to me :D

Fields of Athenry 10k on St Stephen's Day with some of my family then, but otherwise will stick to base building plan just to keep me ticking over and ease the guilt of chocolate consumption until New Year's.

Then, I am at a loss. 5k/10k grads plan looks great, but I need to see how to combine it with club training. I don't like to go against the grain too much there.

Then, I am at a loss. 5k/10k grads plan looks great, but I need to see how to combine it with club training. I don't like to go against the grain too much there.

Welcome back :)

Could you just substitute the midweek session in the plan for the club session or is that too simplistic?

Welcome back :)

Could you just substitute the midweek session in the plan for the club session or is that too simplistic?

Thanks!
    Yeah possibly. The simpler the better to be honest; less risk of effing it all up :)

• Advertisement

I can't believe I forgot my most exciting update:
    At yoga yesterday, it was the instructor who I had started with summer of 2017 and haven't been in many of her classes in the last couple of months AND... apparently my shoulders are much looser! I am honestly so happy with that. My shoulders are where all tension and anxiety gathers so to have made some progress in that respect is quite lovely. Only took 16 months.

Advertisement