Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else got a Belkin N1 Vision wireless router?

Options
  • 20-10-2017 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

wondering if anyone else on here has a Belkin N1 Vision wireless router (has Blue LCD display on the front) - bought secondhand one off ebay and it randomly works for ages but then just all of a sudden locks up and needs de-powering and powering up again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a decade old, failure isnt super surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    Its a decade old, failure isnt super surprising.

oh right - didnt realise it was that old when I got it. Good job i didnt pay too much for it then. I liked the gadgety aspect of it with its blue LCD display at the front with its extra info. ~

however I didnt do any research on this particular router before I bought it. I saw pictures of 'download' and 'upload' speeds and predicted that it displayed a real time upload and download speeds graphics on the front (say like if you are supposed to get 12mbps download from your provider I thought the router might show you the present download speed in real time) but it doesnt it just logs/displays who's computer is logged onto the router and what speed they are downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I just found this info on the internet about it. it could be an NTP problem where it checks for internet time and causes the router to lock up. am going to try this fix and see how it gets on. - shame it has to be carried out though every time the router is turned on from off or resets though.

[Problem]Belkin N1 Vision: disconnects on a 2-hour interval
    Fantastic Wireless router.
    After having my last router die on me I found my self searching for a new one and found my way around the internet and stumbled across this little beauty.

It's been absolutely fantastic the LCD screen displays a ton of information such as Internet uploads & Download speed, individual computer speeds for both wifi and hardwired, Who's used what in the last 24 hours, Guest Network access info, a general status screen and the time and date.

It runs like a dream after getting it set up properly and the wifi range is fantastic.

The only problem I found with the router was that every two hours it cut out for thirty seconds. I later found out that this was due to it connecting to NTP Servers (Time Servers) this can be fixed by doing the following.

Using your web browser go to: 192.168.2.1/wukongjiuwo.html

Enter your router password. (It's blank by default.)

In the Console text box type: ps

Look for the NTP process number (PID)

In the Consol text box type: kill then your PID.

This will stop your router connecting to NTP servers. Your time may drift a bit but everything else will run perfectly.

You will need to repeat this process if you restart you router for any reason.

Overall this product is fantastic and except for the NTP issue I've had no problems. I would suggest buying one if you are in need of a new wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have shell access with the ability to kill a system process you likely have root and thus could make it behave with a little bit of linux knowledge. Start by looking for a cron job that triggers that 2hr check.

Advertisement