Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Name - Short Name

Options
  • 20-10-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Im in the process of setting up a Ltd. The name I want to have, i like it and its the name of my buisness.. its a short word, 4 letters lets say its XYUS

When I sent the name XYUS ltd to a company shop, they said I have to come up with something else there were already 2 companies different registered called XYUS Kids, XYUS Media.

They also said
    Please avoid words: company, corporation, services, holding, system, group, etc.

ha I was going to ask for XYUS Group Ltd..

I want to keep the name short, can I add a letter or number to to it XYUS2 Ltd

Why cant i just register XYUS Ltd.. its totally different from the other 2 companies and not a place name, its an adverb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My advice would be to register a limited company with a non-descript name...ie Randomsyllables Limited. Then register whatever business name you like...so your company would be Randomsyllables Limited trading as XYUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

exaisle wrote: »
    My advice would be to register a limited company with a non-descript name...ie Randomsyllables Limited. Then register whatever business name you like...so your company would be Randomsyllables Limited trading as XYUS.

One other issue to bear in mind is a domain name. you will probably find XYUS.com etc is gone and its likely the .ie is gone also considering the existence of the similarly named companies

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

dil999 wrote: »
    One other issue to bear in mind is a domain name. you will probably find XYUS.com etc is gone and its likely the .ie is gone also considering the existence of the similarly named companies

have the .ie

was thinking the same, just wanted to have a nice.. XYUS Limited

Like Dell, Apple etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Buttercake wrote: »
    was thinking the same, just wanted to have a nice.. XYUS Limited

Like Dell, Apple etc..

That's not going to happen, given that XYUS Media and XYUS Kids are already happened.

Just one other thing....have you considered using numbers instead of letters...so use 5 instead of S or 2 instead of Z etc, then the likes of SUZE Limited would be 5 U 2 E Limited...then just make the gaps really small on your notepaper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I sent the name XYUS ltd to a company shop, they said I have to come up with something else there were already 2 companies different registered called XYUS Kids, XYUS Media.
    Check if there was a company called XYUS, as it may have gone bankrupt. Having the same name may be bad for business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why cant i just register XYUS Ltd.. its totally different from the other 2 companies and not a place name, its an adverb

My better half went though the same merry-go-round with a 'company shop' too.

They appear to have a particular bee in their bonnet about anything even close to resembling an existing company name.

I'm not sure what the logic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I would ring the companies registration office and if you get through to the right person they might give you good, off the record, advice about whether you can legally choose your desired name or if it is just the company shop that is being awkward.

Depending on what your business is, it could be important to make sure that the name is still available for social media accounts and online marketplaces e.g. facebook, twitter, amazon, ebay, pinterest etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd imagine if this is a popular name in some countries, they may not like it being a company name?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Graham wrote: »
    My better half went though the same merry-go-round with a 'company shop' too.

They appear to have a particular bee in their bonnet about anything even close to resembling an existing company name.

I'm not sure what the logic is.

Imagine you have a successful business, then you find out another company has just started up offering the same good/services. You wouldn’t be happy.

It’s called ‘passing’, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Imagine you have a successful business, then you find out another company has just started up offering the same good/services. You wouldn’t be happy.

It’s called passing off I believe.

Now imagine you’re trying to register your new business ‘The Biscuit Shop’ and the company registation company tells you it’s too similar to a registered business name ‘The Cookie Store’ and you might see the issue.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I think its passing off if you are doing the exact same thing as the other business..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

+1 on the above, particularly as you already have the .ie. Also agree with the suggestion to contact the CRO for a chat - the decision ultimately rests with them.

Advertisement