Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny Flat WiFi Query

Options
  • 20-10-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Evening all

I have a quick query about resolving no/weak WiFi in a granny flat. It's on a separate electricity circuit so TP-type extenders won't do it.
    There is a cat5 cable direct from the Sky router in the house to a smart TV in the granny-flat so TV fine for Netflix etc. What's the simplest device that will generate WiFi from this cable ?. I'm assuming I'd need to "intercept" the existing cable with something - then feed the TV from there to retain its direct connection.
    Hope I'm making sense and thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You should be able to buy a cheap router and bridge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

stevek93 wrote: »
    You should be able to buy a cheap router and bridge it.
    This. Using a router / wireless access point in bridge mode. Plug the network cable that's currently going into the smart tv into the wan socket on the new router / wireless access point and connect a network cable from one of the new router / wireless access point lan sockets to the smart tv. Depending on the router / wireless access point there may be a switch to put it in bridge mode or you might have to configure it through its web admin page.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Raven_k42

Final question - as this is newterritory for me !. Is there a typical or recommended - and readily available - device that I could use for this ?. Sounds like if it has bridge mode then I can avoid the config steps.
    Thanks for the info,
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You will need to configure the wireless settings through the admin configurarion page(s) anyhow so selecting the bridge mode (or access point mode depending on the manufacturer) would just be another tick box in the settings if it's not set by switch on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you move the current modem closer to / to a less obstructed route to the granny flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Raven_k42

The Sky connection/modem at the front window of a terraced house - granny flat at end of an angled garden - almost 45 degrees to house. In essence - WiFi had to go through neighbour's house to get to granny flat !. I think exploiting the TV cat5 cable already in the granny-flat the best way to go.
    Thanks for all responses,
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Advertisement