Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanning

• 20-10-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Anybody scan ewes yet and how is results,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What are u breeding when ur scanning this early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Scanned first batch of pedigree suffolks today. Only 29 to scan

2 Barren
    4 Singles
    21 Twins
    2 Triplets

All in all very happy, roll on New Years day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Scanned first lot today 32 ewes, 3 repeats, 8 singles, 20 doubles, and one triplet to lamb over 8 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Scanned first lot today 32 ewes, 3 repeats, 8 singles, 20 doubles, and one triplet to lamb over 8 days.

Pedigrees?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

When you say 8 days, I’m guessing you know that from tracking the days the ram was out - rather than the scanner telling you?

Coz if he could, that’d be fair handy!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

When you say 8 days, I’m guessing you know that from tracking the days the ram was out - rather than the scanner telling you?

Coz if he could, that’d be fair handy!

Sponged

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sponged

Is sponging a good job?

We’re part-time so tightening up lambing would make a huge difference.

How much money, ballpark, are you talking about per ewe?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Buy a no mate harness and let a ram out with it on 2 weeks pre tipping. Much cheaper than sponging and no need for more ram power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

I've only a handy number here. I put the ram at other side of farm roadway for 2 weeks before I left him in. He tipped all bar 1 in 8 days. I'll be changing raddle colour on Wednesday, hoping that most will keep to 1st serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ewes sponged for every 2 days over 8 days, scanned second lot of ewes today,
    25 singles
    20 doubles
    2 triplets
    Half this batch are hogget ewes.
    All should be lambed in 21 days to six different Rams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ewes sponged for every 2 days over 8 days, scanned second lot of ewes today,
    25 singles
    20 doubles
    2 triplets
    Half this batch are hogget ewes.
    All should be lambed in 21 days to six different Rams.
    How much does it cost? Roughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what age can you get a ram vasectomised. i have a few ram lambs i could use for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

12 singles 12 doubles 2 triplets and 5 empty disappointed with the empty rate
    sponged 250units of pmsg and AI. 5 of the singles were recipients from e/t work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

grassroot1 wrote: »

Hearing lot of empties this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Cran wrote: »
    grassroot1 wrote: »

Hearing lot of empties this year

Wonder would that be from a lack of sunshine....you often see years where weather was poor that conception rates in cows suffer,prob the same story for sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

10 doubles,
    4 singles (2 could be doubles yet),
    2 empty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

How long after being tipped would it take before a ewe could be scanned as in-lamb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

DJ98 wrote: »
    How long after being tipped would it take before a ewe could be scanned as in-lamb?

Some say 30 days but at 35 days you would be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Some say 30 days but at 35 days you would be sure.

They can tell if inlamb from 30-50 days & after 100/110 days, but for accuracy on numbers want to be 50-100 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

They can tell if inlamb from 30-50 days & after 100/110 days, but for accuracy on numbers want to be 50-100 days

I have always wondered why they can't tell how many in late pregnancy?? Surely it would be easier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

arctictree wrote: »
    I have always wondered why they can't tell how many in late pregnancy?? Surely it would be easier?

The lambs are gone too big and obscure each other.

Advertisement