Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cognac/french brandy for mixing

• 20-10-2017 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭

I've developed a bit of a taste for Sidecars recently. I'm working through a 1L bottle of Three Barrels I got free in implausible circumstances but it won't last forever

I know bugger all about cognac/wine-based brandies other than what it is; and that Tesco's own brand is woeful

Any recommendations, considering its really only going to get drowned with ice and fruit-flavoured liqueurs and juices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,640 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you tried LIDL? I think I saw an own brand one in there...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you tried LIDL? I think I saw an own brand one in there...

Pretty sure they have one; and no - not yet.

I'm perfectly happy with Lidl gin and vodka; Aldi 8 year old Scotch and either's bourbon for my lower-end spirit purposes. May as well give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Love Sidecars. A great classic cocktail. You should also try a Brandy Crusta.

I usually buy brandy when going through duty free. Whatever Hennessy or Courvoisier is on promotion usually does me. I have been to some brandy tastings where I've been fortunate enough to sample some of the really good stuff. It can be glorious. But for cocktails, I'd stick with the good, but not excellent category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl's sub-15 quid bottle works more than acceptably. Held back enough for one from the Three Barrels and while there's a obvious taste difference but I couldn't call it worse.

Advertisement