Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a car in USA

• 20-10-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Going to Las Vegas soon for a few days but going to carry on and do San Fran to San Diego.

Looking to drive it all.

Has anyone rented a car in US for 2 weeks and any tips/recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Hiya Keano,

We rented a car over in Florida a few months ago and there was no issue. Just make sure you have your driving licence and a credit card and you'll be good to go. As for recommendations, what are you looking for? Car hire companies to avoid? Usage on toll roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Whats the story with insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

My husband and son did the LAST lad Vegas San Fran trip a few years back and hired with Avid L.A..the car they wanted wasn't available and they ended up with a Mustang. They had a great trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

My husband and son did the LAST lad Vegas San Fran trip a few years back and hired with Avid L.A..the car they wanted wasn't available and they ended up with a Mustang. They had a great trip.

Was insurance covered in rental price?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

keano25 wrote: »
    Was insurance covered in rental price?

Insurance is usually extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Economycarrentals.com

I've driven San Fran to LA/San Diego twice now. 09 and 15.

Used them 2 years back. Everything included in the price, think I paid 260 bucks for 8 days in a convertible mustang.

The Pacific Coast highway / 101 / CA1
    Is the ONLY way to go!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that drive!!!

Hooked wrote: »
    Economycarrentals.com

I've driven San Fran to LA/San Diego twice now. 09 and 15.

Used them 2 years back. Everything included in the price, think I paid 260 bucks for 8 days in a convertible mustang.

The Pacific Coast highway / 101 / CA1
    Is the ONLY way to go!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that drive!!!

My advice? Fly from Vegas to SFO
    50 bucks with southwest
    Pick up car in SFO. Head out over Golden Gate Bridge (don't forget the tolls) before you head down the coast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

pre-pay for the car using Nova.

I travel to USA a lot (and other counties) and use them every time.

Just did a check and 2 weeks picking up in Las Vagas and dropping off at San Diego with all insurance is around $500 for two weeks for a mid sized car but there are cheaper options for smaller cars. I tend to book small and then just be really nice to the people at the desk and you usually can get an upgrade.

https://www.novacarhire.com/

PS: Nova is an Irish company based in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you book a car in the US as a foreigner then you will get an all inclusive price with insurance (generally no excess) etc. These can be very good rates, away from the peak seasons. Be careful not to get into some US site for locals in which case insurance will not be included.

If you are doing a one way then rates can vary a bit. A site like autoeurope.ie will give you a good idea and then check the individual companies also.

Obviously, make sure you have good travel insurance for any general health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭fire_man

I was looking at booking Car in San Francisco and dropping it off in La and it was costing 300 dollars for 3 days with Enterprise car rentals.Does that sound dear?

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    I was looking at booking Car in San Francisco and dropping it off in La and it was costing 300 dollars for 3 days with Enterprise car rentals.Does that sound dear?

Sounds pricey.

I booked San Fran to LA
    8 days
    260 or 280 it was

With economycarrentals.com
    Back in 2015 that was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks I will check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

fire_man wrote: »

not if you compare to Nova!

I can get 2 full weeks for $450-$500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Always have a look at http://www.autoeurope.ie

I've used them for rentals in USA and have the best deal for a free tank of gas + additional driver cost etc.

Don't forget about GPS. It's super handy and always pre-book it as they will charge a hefty rate if you try pick one up at the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Additional drivers can be added at no extra charge if the rental is starting out in CA.
    In most other states (for example NV), there is an extra charge for additional drivers.
    Taxes also vary state to state.

When in Las Vegas in September, we rented a car to drive to Los Angeles. We were staying in LA for four more days (and wanted a car during this time also). It turned out that keeping the car which we rented in Vegas for the full 5 days was a couple of hundred dollars more expensive than if we immediately returned the car in LA and then took out a new rental for 4 days. Both rentals were from Avis and both were for the same category car.

Advertisement