Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Credit Card

• 21-10-2017 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I want to buy my GF a present online now for Christmas which is going to cost €750 ~ €770. This is going to be her Christmas present. We have joint accounts and I can't explain it away when she will see that big a payment online, and I don't want to ruin her surprise.

Ideally I could walk into a shop and buy one of these vouchers and be able to buy the thing online. Buying it in a shop here is €900+ and I want to get it as cheaply as possible and while keeping it secret from her. I remember years ago before I got my credit card using 3V for buying flights online when Ryanair came out first like 10+ years ago.

Any ideas, basically I want a disposable prepaid credit card but I have no idea what or how to buy it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Mr321

Doltanian wrote: »
    I want to buy my GF a present online now for Christmas which is going to cost €750 ~ €770. This is going to be her Christmas present. We have joint accounts and I can't explain it away when she will see that big a payment online, and I don't want to ruin her surprise.

Ideally I could walk into a shop and buy one of these vouchers and be able to buy the thing online. Buying it in a shop here is €900+ and I want to get it as cheaply as possible and while keeping it secret from her. I remember years ago before I got my credit card using 3V for buying flights online when Ryanair came out first like 10+ years ago.

Any ideas, basically I want a disposable prepaid credit card but I have no idea what or how to buy it.

3V or 3 Money card there websites has all the FAQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Try revolut. It's a virtual card that you can top up and use for online purchases via an app. Just search 'revolut' in the app stores of your phone and you'll find it. I know a lot of lads using it, myself included and it's perfect. You can apply for a physical card as well.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Online card providers such as Revolut won't work for the OP though, as he'd still have to transfer the money from one of the existing joint accounts.

What you're looking for OP is a card you can top-up with cash, such as a 3Money Card (you can buy the vouchers for those with cash in their stores, and at Omnivend locations):

http://www.three.ie/money/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I bought a swirl giftcard this evening for €200 + €2.99 + €3 surcharge by the Shop which I think is surely an illegal surcharge and I'll be complaining them to the Swirl company about this. The €3.00 wasn't down the official Swirl receipt so its a shop thing.

I opened a Revolut card in my phone and did the verification and I added the €200 from the Swirl card into my revolut card and all I need to do now is buy is two more Swirl Prepaid Giftcards for €250.00 each and add them to my Revolut which will give me a Revolut balance of €700 allowing me to buy the item I need.

I'm going to search for another shop tomorrow which sells the Swirl Giftcard and only charges the Swirl charge of €2.99 and not an additional €3.00 ripoff.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I bought a swirl giftcard this evening for €200 + €2.99 + €3 surcharge by the Shop which I think is surely an illegal surcharge and I'll be complaining them to the Swirl company about this. The €3.00 wasn't down the official Swirl receipt so its a shop thing.

I opened a Revolut card in my phone and did the verification and I added the €200 from the Swirl card into my revolut card and all I need to do now is buy is two more Swirl Prepaid Giftcards for €250.00 each and add them to my Revolut which will give me a Revolut balance of €700 allowing me to buy the item I need.

I'm going to search for another shop tomorrow which sells the Swirl Giftcard and only charges the Swirl charge of €2.99 and notify an additional €3.00 ripoff.

If you've verified your Revolut account, you now have a unique IBAN attached to it. What you can do now is ask a friend/family member to lodge money to your Revolut account for you using their online banking. Just make sure it's someone you trust enough to give cash to!

Alternatively, if you know anyone else with a Revolut account, they can transfer funds directly from their Revolut to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or top up from their bank card which would be instant.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Or top up from their bank card which would be instant.

The friend/family-member would need to be agreeable to opening their own Revolut account in that scenario, if they don't already have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They don't need a Revolut account, you can use any credit or debit card to top up with once you provide the correct billing address. Revolut advise they set up their own account but it's not against their ts&cs.

TheChizler wrote: »
    They don't need a Revolut account, you can use any credit or debit card to top up with once you provide the correct billing address. Revolut advise they set up their own account but it's not against their ts&cs.

While that may work, they don't officially support topping up that way so I wouldn't recommend it.

Advertisement