Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Pope Francis sell out Croke Park?

• 21-10-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

The Pope is scheduled to conduct a Mass at croker next August. Will you attend? I know for one that i will. A once in a lifetime experience.

Will you go see the Pope. 99 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 99 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No more than I wouldn't go to see the Head of State of any country, it holds zero interest for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Depends who the support act is I guess.

Would need a full line up...Father John Misty, Jesus and Mary Chain, Marylyn Manson...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I reckon he’ll add a 2nd & 3rd night as demand will be so high.

I’m hoping Nathan Carter is the support act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I preferred his earlier stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Fools and their money are easily parted. I’d say the same for any of the expensive gigs in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

He might put another curse on Mayo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The Pope is scheduled to conduct a Mass at croker next August. Will you attend? I know for one that i will. A once in a lifetime experience.

I'm waiting the reunion gig.
    Won't be the same till they're all on the same stage together.

I love you Benedict!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm assuming it's free to go to mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just as long as he plays this;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I'll go to Quinn's for a few before kickoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

They'll bring in Christian nuts from all over the world to fill it .... I doubt your joe and Mary soap would attend .. can't see the interest in going to see one man in a white dress saying mass tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Won't be able to make it that the day because I'm going to see the flying spaghetti monster in my local church.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I reckon he’ll add a 2nd & 3rd night as demand will be so high.

I’m hoping Nathan Carter is the support act.
    Fr.Ignatius Muarry of St. Cronans ,Roscrea is the support act. He says good Mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Has anyone seen the setlist ?? Will this count as one of the three permissible gigs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It probably won't be as popular as John Paul, even the census confirmed the decline, but tens of thousands will turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Sold out on Ticketmaster but tickets available on seat wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Mr321

It'll be a mortal sin if he doesn't sell out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It probably won't be as popular as John Paul, even the census confirmed the decline, but tens of thousands will turn up.

Sign of the times that they moved from Phoenix Park to Croke Park.. if numbers keep dropping, next tour will probably be an acoustic set in vicar st

emo72 wrote: »
    When the basket goes around though that will add up to some house.80000 people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

He'd never sell out five nights like Garth Brooks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Would love to get backstage for some hookers and coke afterwards, only I'm not sure it wouldnt be boys and wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Ah hahah, have you any experience of the catholic church, the collection plate will go around twice, there'll be "charity" points everywhere - sure the roof on the vatican is very old and will need upgrading soon. All a big scam to get your money into their pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

It will be packed. I know some people like to think we've moved on from this but there are plenty of religious people out there - young and old. Added to that many in the immigrant population are Catholic particularly the Polish and Philippino population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

This is a good question. They would probably say that croake park is not concecrated ground so technically it's not a church so they can charge at the gate.

What's wrong with the Phoenix Park again, like in 1979 when Pope John Paul 2 visited?

It's profiteering imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He usually opens with Welcome to the Vatican to get the crowd going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thought it was 'show me the money'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Won't be able to make it that the day because I'm going to see the flying spaghetti monster in my local church.

lololol

So original and funny! 😂

You must be a riot at parties.

The place which ever Roman Catholic should make the effort to visit at least once in their lifetimes. Im not bulls1ting, it is truly spectaculer, our Mecca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Peatys wrote: »
    Sign of the times that they moved from Phoenix Park to Croke Park.. if numbers keep dropping, next tour will probably be an acoustic set in vicar st

I’d imagine it probably has more to do with security than popularity. Despite living in a country where most people claim to be non-religious, lots of people will want to attend this.

Bit like when people are up sh!t creek, you hear the old “I’m not religious but I said a prayer”...hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely wouldn't be attending. Right up there with a Garth Brooks concert at the top of "must miss" list.

It'll definitely be a full house though. Lots of foreign interest in any case, but there are easily 70,000 Irish Catholics who'd go.

Cue the wailing in the media about people being so callous as to resell tickets to a Mass for €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I would say there is a real fear that a phoenix park event would be tiny in comparison to John Paul II, they don't want the decline if the church to be easily quantified.
    They will fill croke park without an issue and then they can say it's sold out, huge demand, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No doubt Bono, Inda and Mickey D will be there. And the WHOLE Fine Gael party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

RTÉ will be all over this like a rash, wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Speaking of the phoenix park gig, I was 59 black. It was the furthest back if I recall and I remember getting slagged for being the furthest back. Not a good Catholic apparently! I guess 1 white was really holy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

The place which ever Roman Catholic should make the effort to visit at least once in their lifetimes. Im not bulls1ting, it is truly spectaculer, our Mecca.

Yeah, go see all that gilt and gold - it's almost like they are just point blank refusing to compensate all those abuse victims.

I won't be going to see anyone who chairs that corrupt organisation...I'm sure there are no shortage of rug sweepers who will tho. More's the pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

vicwatson wrote: »
    No doubt Bono, Inda and Mickey D will be there. And the WHOLE Fine Gael party

Varadkar will definitely be there to lick Frankie's hole on behalf of the nation :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Will any of the Trinity be going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope he will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Leo won't be allowed in, he's a sinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No I will not, I don't believe in a fictional beardy man in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

He's the head of an organisation that saw fit for it's members to rape and bugger little children among other things that's the bottom line.

I'll be giving it a miss thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll go to Quinn's for a few before kickoff

David Quinn's? :pac:

People can rub shoulders with Rónán Mullen. :D

Yeah, go see all that gilt and gold - it's almost like they are just point blank refusing to compensate all those abuse victims.

I won't be going to see anyone who chairs that corrupt organisation...I'm sure there are no shortage of rug sweepers who will tho. More's the pity.
    Biggest charitable organisation in the word. Even Princes of the Church Cardinals do not have bank accounts of any note. It's a vocation, not a get rich scheme. You'll be taken care of for life but never have any large disosable income to speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’d imagine it probably has more to do with security than popularity. Despite living in a country where most people claim to be non-religious, lots of people will want to attend this.

Bit like when people are up sh!t creek, you hear the old “I’m not religious but I said a prayer”...hmmm...

Yeah, nail on the head. They had to slash the numbers going to the regular Sunday Chant due to security, so no different for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

NEVER NEVER NEVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Poll added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not a follower myself but it will be definitely be a sell out. Obviously lots of people have left the church since John Paul's visit but you only have to look at the eucharistic mass they had about 5 years ago. The Oaps packed out the place

Take the Pope. He still lives to his.Jesuit values. The man has rejected all the trappings of the papacy. For instance he resides in the vat hostel and refuses to take up residence in the Papal.Apartments. A man of honour and conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m sure it will easily fill once of not twice over.
    With a capacity of 80,000 in a country where probably still in excess of 1million people are practicing Catholics I’d say there would be no bother.

Holds no interest for myself although I was dragged along on 1979 to see the pope in knock, one of the wettest most miserable days the west of Ireland must have produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

He's no Fr Klippit that's for sure :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement