Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Pope Francis sell out Croke Park?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

py2006 wrote: »
    Third level I am speaking of. Back in the 70s a lot of people didn't finish secondary.
    Well, University is a Catholic creation...
    Plus, the vast majority of Third-level attendees would have come through the Catholic education system in Ireland.

Relax man, i'm only shooting the sh*t with you...not starting a "thing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’ll be hoping their are Mass protests on the streets the days before to show them people here haven’t forgotten and to show the leaders of this country that the days of the Catholic Church’s influence over Ireland should be removed.

I don’t think he should be getting our National stadium to preach his sh*te in.
    I am also sure the taxpayer will have a bill of some sort.
    World meeting of families.
    I was actually watching Bowling for Columbine last night.
    It’s the same as the NRA arriving to the town after the massacre occurred.

Ah let them have their day. It's the last roar of a dying animal. Might as well let them have a final hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’ll be hoping their are Mass protests on the streets the days before to show them people here haven’t forgotten and to show the leaders of this country that the days of the Catholic Church’s influence over Ireland should be removed.

I don’t think he should be getting our National stadium to preach his sh*te in.
    I am also sure the taxpayer will have a bill of some sort.
    World meeting of families.
    I was actually watching Bowling for Columbine last night.
    It’s the same as the NRA arriving to the town after the massacre occurred.

Croke Park is not our National Stadium,it is the headquarters of the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Allinall wrote: »
    You mean you don't know?

Really?

Charming.

You know you could have just said it without trying to be a smart-arse.

I just think its sad that you have to point it out and then follow it up with the "you mean you don't know?" question.

Do you get a prize for belittling someone on a forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

To any of the 25 going, can you bring me back a missallet in case the mother asks me what the gospel was about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Charming.

You know you could have just said it without trying to be a smart-arse.

I just think its sad that you have to point it out and then follow it up with the "you mean you don't know?" question.

Do you get a prize for belittling someone on a forum?

It’s ok man.
    I know what and where Croke Park is.
    It will always be our National stadium in my eyes.
    Hallowed ground and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks to Catholic schools state funded schools hijacked by religions in order to perpetuate their agenda by taking advantage of the gullibility of innocent little kids ...lol.

fyp.
    Peatys wrote: »
    To any of the 25 going, can you bring me back a missallet in case the mother asks me what the gospel was about?

Hey at least you already know the answer when your ma asks you "who said mass?" :p

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or your mother could be watching the mass on TV, trying to spot you :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Will there be basket collections? Say that could go on for a while. Oh yeah and what about communion, is that part of the admittance or will you have to pay extra I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I suppose they'll only have warm pissy Carlsberg at the bars again like at Springsteen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What's the capacity of Croke Park? 80, 85k? This planned event will easily be packed out - they could add another mass the next day and it would still be packed. Religious devotion may have collapsed in Ireland in the past 25 years but there are still many devout people who will gladly go to see the Pope.

But the fact that it will be held on Croker and not the Phoenix Park is very telling. The numbers who would turn out to see him will be a small fraction of the numbers who saw JPII in 1979.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I suppose they'll only have warm pissy Carlsberg at the bars again like at Springsteen.

Some Jesus juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

After what the Catholic church has put this country and its people through not a soul should attend,but it is Ireland after all and we like to sweep **** under the rug and forget, so I imagine the place will be packed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    He's the head of an organisation that saw fit for it's members to rape and bugger little children among other things that's the bottom line.

I'll be giving it a miss thanks very much.

You can always stay at home and watch the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

spurious wrote: »
    I went to the last Pope tour. Caught him in Galway.

An innocent 16 year old, I spent the night on the bus pretending to be asleep while a couple on the seat behind me had very loud and athletic sex. To top it all off, some thieving bustard stole my Pope stool - holy Catholics how are ye.

I was also at that gig in Galway.I remember those two high profile sex machine clerics Eamon Casey and Micheal Cleary were the warm up acts and then later the crowd went wild when the Pope performed his big hit Young People Of Ireland I Love You.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

How much are pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Pope is scheduled to conduct a Mass at croker next August. Will you attend? I know for one that i will. A once in a lifetime experience.

is it going to be ticketed and sold on ticketmaster?

or distributed through the clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I won't be going but it will sell out. No problem.

To be fair to DELEFTHAND or whatever the username was. If its something you believe in then fine.
    Nice day out.

No matter how the rest of us disagree with the CC teachings, you have to let them at their thing too.

It will be eroded in time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Not only will Francie sell out Croke Park, there will be sizable crowds standing outside feeding off every word on most likely a large tv screen.

Not only will Francie sell out Croke Park, there will be sizable crowds standing outside feeding off every word on most likely a large tv screen.

Story with Kodi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Yamanoto wrote: »
    If the Phoenix Park we're chosen again, I reckon you'd see numbers on a par with the visit of JP ll in 1979. AH may scoff at that notion & Fintan O'Toole would doubtless fling his ethically sourced & carbon neutral hummus sandals at the TV in fury, but there remains a deep affection for & affinity with the Christian tradition in Ireland.

LOL:rolleyes: ill have some of what your smoking

deep affection? maybe among pensioners and others of an age where they were unfortunately brought up under the indoctrination of the church.

a very small minority among the young.

I mean the affection is so widespread that they are building massive new churches and the priest college is bursting at the seams......oh wait;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

LOL:rolleyes: ill have some of what your smoking

deep affection? maybe among pensioners and others of an age where they were unfortunately brought up under the indoctrination of the church.

a very small minority among the young.

I mean the affection is so widespread that they are building massive new churches and the priest college is bursting at the seams......oh wait;)

Give it a generation and most churches will be closed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Will I go to see him? No.

Will he sell out Croke Park? Of course. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vicwatson wrote: »
    RTÉ will be all over this like a rash, wait and see
    It's cheap telly. It's even the channel of choice for the people who are likely to watch this.

They might even make money selling the coverage overseas.

And besides there's over 200 other TV and Radio stations available on Freesat, even if you don't have DVD's or the interwebs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

shamrock55 wrote: »
    After what the Catholic church has put this country and its people through not a soul should attend,but it is Ireland after all and we like to sweep **** under the rug and forget, so I imagine the place will be packed
    Why is the RCC being singled out in this? ( I'm not condoning anything they did) but An Garda Siochana and the government of the day were also complicit in what happened. Wheres the corresponding outrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe.

I hear he gives a good mass, and his chalice work is excellent......right up there with Father Ultan Crosby.....he really works the altar.......

Will he be doing Glastonbury too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe.

I hear he gives a good mass, and his chalice work is excellent......right up there with Father Ultan Crosby.....he really works the altar.......

Will he be doing Glastonbury too?

No Glastonbury until 2019 so I doubt it but who knows. Although they did have a bishop giving a speech one year.

Honestly though would this not be free? Or are the GAA going to make people pay? I suppose they have to be paid for the use of their stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

frag420 wrote: »
    Depends who the support act is I guess.

david miscavige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of course it’ll be sold out.

Country is full of gullible thicks.

And event junkies.

Event junkies reminder: Mass on 25.12. It’s the in thing that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I might go. I might not. TBH, I'd sooner go to one of his home games in the Vatican - plenty of other stuff to see there while I'm at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

He's no Garth Brooks. No chance he'd sell it out for five nights. Being serious, anyone who voted that he won't sell out the place is either having a laugh or deluded. Tickets for that will be like hen's teeth. Why is it being held there? Surely somewhere like the Phoenix park would be better? It'd give more people the chance to go and see it. Won't be going to see him myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Berserker wrote: »
    He's no Garth Brooks. No chance he'd sell it out for five nights. Being serious, anyone who voted that he won't sell out the place is either having a laugh or deluded. Tickets for that will be like hen's teeth. Why is it being held there? Surely somewhere like the Phoenix park would be better? It'd give more people the chance to go and see it.

The vote is if you'll go see him, not if hell sell out (both puns intended)

To be fair to DELEFTHAND or whatever the username was. If its something you believe in then fine.
    Nice day out.

No matter how the rest of us disagree with the CC teachings, you have to let them at their thing too.

It will be eroded in time anyway.

That's all well and good in theory, but when they try to make an entire country run along the lines of their choosing, as they did here, and act with complete disregard to the criminal law, as they did here, then it's no longer all well and good, is it?

Why is the RCC being singled out in this? ( I'm not condoning anything they did) but An Garda Siochana and the government of the day were also complicit in what happened. Wheres the corresponding outrage?

The GS and the government acted as they did because they were made up of devout catholics and the RCC called the shots.

The first cabinet meeting of the inter-party government in 1948 discussed the following:
    [They agreed] a message from Costello to Pope Pius XII. The Taoiseach told the Pontiff that he and his colleagues "desire to repose at the feet of Your Holiness the assurance of our filial loyalty and devotion as well as our firm resolve to be guided in all our work by the teachings of Christ and to strive for the attainment of a social order in Ireland based on Christian principles."

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

@Hotblock

No, its not. But we've all condemned it in our posts.

So you know, is your outrage worth more than our outrage?

Or maybe you're going to be the one to do something about it?

Otherwise, yeah you're pissed off and we're pissed off and status quo remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Who's the support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That's all well and good in theory, but when they try to make an entire country run along the lines of their choosing, as they did here, and act with complete disregard to the criminal law, as they did here, then it's no longer all well and good, is it?

The GS and the government acted as they did because they were made up of devout catholics and the RCC called the shots.

The first cabinet meeting of the inter-party government in 1948 discussed the following:

I thought the defence of "following orders" was done away with in Nuremberg

@Hotblock

No, its not. But we've all condemned it in our posts.

So you know, is your outrage worth more than our outrage?

Or maybe you're going to be the one to do something about it?

Otherwise, yeah you're pissed off and we're pissed off and status quo remains.

I trust you know what a rhetorical question is.

Why are you saying I am outraged? All I have done is describe historical facts, if they appear unpalatable don't shoot the messenger.

Perhaps the strongest weapon the Irish people have against the power of the RCC is indifference, and they are deploying this in increasing numbers.

It's as simple as this.
    If you don't believe, don't tick a box saying that you do. Don't induct your children into a religion you don't believe in. Don't allow them to be indoctrinated at school into a religion you don't believe in. Don't support religious laws like the 8th amendment. It's not hard to bring about change, it just requires a small effort from a large number of people.

I thought the defence of "following orders" was done away with in Nuremberg

The jury can weigh up that argument when the abusers and facilitators of the mass abuse of Irish women and children are brought to trial - which will be never.

I trust you know what a rhetorical question is.

Why are you saying I am outraged? All I have done is describe historical facts, if they appear unpalatable don't shoot the messenger.

Perhaps the strongest weapon the Irish people have against the power of the RCC is indifference, and they are deploying this in increasing numbers.

It's as simple as this.
    If you don't believe, don't tick a box saying that you do. Don't induct your children into a religion you don't believe in. Don't allow them to be indoctrinated at school into a religion you don't believe in. Don't support religious laws like the 8th amendment. It's not hard to bring about change, it just requires a small effort from a large number of people.

I'm big enough to apologise when I take someone up wrong.
    Got your post wrong fella.
    Actually I couldn't have got it more wrong.

I agree with everything you said above about indoctrination, I'm on the same page.
    ****e, my apologies. Yep agree fully.

• Advertisement

Fair play no foul :)

Fair play no foul :)

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The jury can weigh up that argument when the abusers and facilitators of the mass abuse of Irish women and children are brought to trial - which will be never.

Well most of the alleged abusers would be dead and some are in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Who's the support?

The Dalai Lama......

.....btw, residents are already protesting plans for a novena......if Garth can't have 5, no way Frankie is getting 9!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

He'll probably get mugged on O'Connell street

AnneFrank wrote: »
    He'll probably get mugged on O'Connell street

No chance of that, as he'll be in the Popemobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Be a bit disappointed in my country if the Pope (the leader of probably the world's largest cult and pedophile ring) does sell out Croker.

Are we not past all this religious hocus pocus yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

The Pope is scheduled to conduct a Mass at croker next August. Will you a
    Attend

Eh no.
    Why would I attend I'm an atheist
    Does the op presume everyone is a Roman Catholic?

• Advertisement

I'm Catholic, but I probably won't be attending. I might watch it on television though

Advertisement