Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncertified to work

Options
  • 21-10-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I recently was out of work as I injured myself. An accident at work. My doctors won't certify me for work as I need more time off. My job has called me in and asked me to do just paper work based work. The doctor hasn't a problem with a few hours a day but with minimal walking as it's a effecting my treatment. I provided a sick cert to them and I'm still on full shifts that i can't do. I arranged a meeting with my doctor as I need an assessment each week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

What is your issue or question? Do you want to do some light work? Are they asking you to do more than you would be comfortable with?

Either way, you can refuse point blank, you are on sock leave and you can do as little or as much as you and/or your doctor think fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Snotty wrote: »
    you are on sock leave
    Can wear socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sarah134

My question is am I suppose to be in the work place, and will I be insured at work. I can do very minimal work as I need 2 more weeks recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Your doctor has said you are unfit to work. Why would you go back if the doctor signed you off and you need to recover? You need to look after yourself, your job will survive without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

You can either refuse to work as you are not fit, or get a list of duties they want you to do and run it by your gp. If you go with your first option, there is probably something in you contract saying the company can send you to their own occ health doctor so it could all get messy.

If you have a cert saying unfit then you do not have to go in but if it's a long term scenario you may be better off cooperating a little and going for the second option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You need to clarify with your GP what you are ok to be doing.

The gp can give a very for light duties or even light duties and shorter shifts to ease you in.

If you get this bring it to your manager and make an agreement, get it in writing and don’t deviate from it.

If your currently uncertified you shouldn’t be doing any work as it’s a grey area regarding insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

You got injured
    Doctor signs you off as unfit to work and required recovery time in his medical opinion
    Employer still asks you to work albeit paper work

IMO the employer should be telling you take the time and look after yourself not thinking about paper work

I wouldn't do it and it's selfish and unprofessional of the employer to ask you if they are aware you were medically unfit and signed off

(people before business Because people are your business )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

If your doctor says you are unfit for work you cannot work. You are not covered by insurance to be somewhere you are not fit to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Any chance the employer is trying to play down your injury in case of a claim against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Return to work on reduced workload and hours is a great tool and I’ve implemented it many times, but it needs to be done right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement