Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos & iphone

Options
  • 21-10-2017 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question is there any disadvantage in buying from argos
    Does anyone know how fast after launch they get stock
    Would wait for them to get the iPhone x in stock if it would not be that long after the Apple store launch
    Have a lot of vouchers to use and would consider argos if it is ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Ya a few weeks after the Xmas rush would be no problem for me
    Will wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Argos are SIM free but often lock to the first network of the sim used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Mr.S wrote: »
    This does not happen for iPhones bought in Argos. It will always be sim free.

Sim free locks to the first network

Network unlocked does not.

However this is not always accurate as some retailers do not officially know the difference so it gets confusing.

For example - Samsung galaxy S8 is sim free in Carphonewarehouse. 100% that phone will lock to the first sim.

Just keep that in mind when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

flexcon wrote: »
    Sim free locks to the first network

Amazon UK sells sim-free phones, including my current phone (Samsung A3 2016) which I moved from 3 (formerly O2) to Vodafone without incident. I have an older Samsung (also purchased sim-free from Amazon UK) which was originally used with an O2 sim, I can put my current Vodafone sim into it and it works no problem.

I have heard that this is an issue with Carphonewarehouse but I'm not aware that it is an issue with other vendors.

My understanding of those two terms is that 'sim free' means the phone was never locked and has been purchased as a piece of hardware to be used on any network whereas 'network unlocked' means that it was once locked to a network but has now been unlocked.

Advertisement