Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing NYC hotel, wife going with work

Options
  • 21-10-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My wife is due to be flown and put up in New York with work for 5 days. Her boss knows I'm interested in tagging along, as it would be a cheap holiday for us.

My question is, if the top brass in the company book and pay for her room, her flight, etc... Can it get messy for me to tag along - we would of course intend to inform the hotel, it's just I'm curious if we'd get hit with extra charges.

Rooms in New York seem to be the same price regardless of single occupancy or two?

Anyone been in this situation?

I'd like to book the same flight as her ASAP, but the hotel stuff isn't sorted - so I'm just curious as I don't want to jump the gun. Hopefully she'll be booked into a double/queen room as standard... and I can just inform them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There should be no problem as long as you are upfront and agree to pay any extra charges.

You should bear in mind also that the company may require her to attend to work duties outside normal hours on such a trip.

Have a nice time in NYC!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

Wudnt even bother informing the hotel mate, especially if its a big spot they dunno who's walking in and out. Me and the wife never do.Never mind the company either have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

kyogger wrote: »
    Wudnt even bother informing the hotel mate, especially if its a big spot they dunno who's walking in and out. Me and the wife never do.Never mind the company either have fun

Tis a huge conference and huge hotel. I guess I'm worrying about nothing.

Been to NYC twice, but en route to Vegas. Looking forward to spending 5 nights there!

Thanks

elperello wrote: »
    There should be no problem as long as you are upfront and agree to pay any extra charges.

You should bear in mind also that the company may require her to attend to work duties outside normal hours on such a trip.

Have a nice time in NYC!

I know (work duties), I know... Her boss will prob drag me to a dinner or two - I know she's 'technically' at work, just be nice to see the city on the cheap!

Can't wait!

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Hooked wrote: »
    Tis a huge conference and huge hotel. I guess I'm worrying about nothing.

Been to NYC twice, but en route to Vegas. Looking forward to spending 5 nights there!

Thanks

I usually just ring ahead and ask if there’s a charge for an extra occupancy. I’ve seen some places here and there charge 30 euro per night etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 simonphoto

Rooms in NY are almost always priced regardless how many people stay there. Wouldn't worry about it. Check out the Jekyll & Hide club in greenwich if you fancy a late drink. It's a bit different but cool

I usually just ring ahead and ask if there’s a charge for an extra occupancy. I’ve seen some places here and there charge 30 euro per night etc.

I'd be only too happy to pay the extras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

hotels in US are usually *per Room* not *per person* . Only downside might be if breakfast is included or in some cases, only registered guests in rooms.

Depends on the hotel really.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Hotels in the States charge per room, not by the number of people in the room

I would definitely let the front desk know who is staying in the room just in case you get locked out and needed to get a spare key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement