Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a Beagle

• 21-10-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

We are thinking to have a dog, and a Beagle to be more specific. Apologies if this was asked before, I've seen other post but they were too old.
    What I will like to ask is where can we get one. I was looking for registered breeders in ick but I found only one, also I found some post on Donedeal, can someone tell me if ever had a good/bad experience getting one like that?
    I know about looking in the dog pounds but unfortunately we couldn't found what we are looking for, so that's why I would like to know where we can look and if someone got one and have any contact or place.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

There have been a couple of threads here on boards about sourcing a beagle pup so it might be worth a quick search but there are a couple of breeders mentioned here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057390759 - but the best way to find beagles or hounds is to go to various dog and puppy shows and talk to people who have them.

I may be telling things you already know and if so, my apologies but.....I have a foxhound and 2 beagles and imo the greatest quality required for an owner of either is a robust sense of humour. I worshipfully adore them but they are very smart and very energetic - on the go, into everything and at something almost every minute of the day. They can be totally heedless about instructions and are incurably greedy but are also very loving, loyal, affectionate dogs that generally display little in the way of aggression to people, other dogs/animals or whatever in my experience. You just have to spend a great deal of mental energy out-thinking them to prevent chaos and destruction.

I always wanted to have them as house dogs and I remember being told years ago that hounds and dogs are two completely different species - that a hound is a dog crossed with a goat. 7 years later, I have to concede the point. They are the toddlers of the canine world.

The best of luck with your search and I hope you find an amazing puppy!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

OMG THIS ^^^^

I rescued a beagle/foxhound and everything Pixie says is bang on. He's loyal, loving, needy, mad, energetic, barky, destructive, perma-hungry and smart. :)

They will work best in a family and with lots of energy to interact with them, they need lots of that (something I cant always give but we're stuck with each other so he just has to make do). Learn about planned destruction and dont get too attached to anything left below waist height.
    They also appear to have selective deafness unless food is involved, if you think you are going to have a dog who will pay any attention to your recall commands, forget it. You can tell the beagle owners, they are the ones walking around the park 5 minutes before closing with leads shouting their dogs name.

Great dogs, but these are no poodles (sorry poodle owners!), they are going to challenge you and become part of your family whether you like it or not :)

You make an excellent point - I hadn't thought about it but family is a big part of making hound (of any type) ownership a success. When there are lots of people then there is always someone up for a walk, a game or a cuddle. They are big 'people persons' and they want to be 'helping you' do everything. ALL. THE. TIME.

The foxhound here is great dane sized and so the cut off point is far above waist height for destruction! He is a legend in his own lunchtime this dog and tales of his derring-do will live long after he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

They are a hunting dog and bred to hunt but when they are turned into a house dog they get bored and can go on the rampage, see alot of people out their with springer spanials and setters as house dogs and wondering why they dig up the garden and wreak the house its because they are a hunting dog and when they are not at what they were bred for they get fed up and pull the place apart, my vet says their should be a law about people having a hunting dog as a house pet,its not fair on the dog.

blackpearl wrote: »
    They are a hunting dog and bred to hunt but when they are turned into a house dog they get bored and can go on the rampage, see alot of people out their with springer spanials and setters as house dogs and wondering why they dig up the garden and wreak the house its because they are a hunting dog and when they are not at what they were bred for they get fed up and pull the place apart, my vet says their should be a law about people having a hunting dog as a house pet,its not fair on the dog.

I can't support your vets argument at all. Every dog regardless of breed deserves a loving home that caters to the individual animals needs and in that regard, hounds are no different to any other. I was merely trying to communicate to the OP some of those potential needs in a light hearted way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

blackpearl wrote: »

Your vet doesn’t seem to know what a pet is lol. One of my hunting dogs is asleep beside me on couch and t’other is asleep in his bed (coincidently shaped like a couch) with his football under his chin! They have a charmed life - so unfair on them :p.

OP you’ll need to put in a lot of time and effort convincing a hound that you’re more interesting than the scent of a squirrel who was there 2 weeks ago etc etc lol! :p My friend’s Basset has brought her to tears in frustration at times - and me in tears of laughter at the pair of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Lots of people keep hunting breeds myself included. In fact our breed standard says Essentially a Working Terrier and by God they live up to that. However that does not mean in the right home that they don't make great pets if they get the right amount of exercise and you take precautions to make sure they don't wreck your house. My own dogs are very very lively but they are also great fun.

Having said all this Foxhounds are not a dog for the faint hearted. They are also quite big, larger then your average GSD. I have a friend who keeps and works them. I think it was mentioned earlier about them getting on with other animals. They do tend to be good with other dogs but they have a very strong hunting instinct for smaller furry or feathered creatures. They are highly intelligent and generally gentle with people. Beagles would be a lot easier especially the show lines. Even though they also give the deaf ear if off after a scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

estebanrc wrote: »
    Hi,

We are thinking to have a dog, and a Beagle to be more specific. Apologies if this was asked before, I've seen other post but they were too old.
    What I will like to ask is where can we get one. I was looking for registered breeders in ick but I found only one, also I found some post on Donedeal, can someone tell me if ever had a good/bad experience getting one like that?
    I know about looking in the dog pounds but unfortunately we couldn't found what we are looking for, so that's why I would like to know where we can look and if someone got one and have any contact or place.

Thanks in advance

Hi estebanrc

Just wondering if you managed to get a beagle in the end and if you would be able to recommend any breeders please (you can also IM).

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 estebanrc

natali1982 wrote: »
    Hi estebanrc

Just wondering if you managed to get a beagle in the end and if you would be able to recommend any breeders please (you can also IM).

Many thanks

We got a mini Jack Russell at the end, mainly due to space limitations. Beagle's are slightly bigger. We are very happy with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

natali1982 wrote: »
    Hi estebanrc

Many thanks

Digging up old posts without very good reason is considered poor etiquette. Asking for an update is not good reason. Please do not do it again.

Thanks.

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement