Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will humans achieve interstellar travel?

Options

Comments

I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

I'd like to see a colony on Mars before I die though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

No chance ,not happening,ever.
    We aren’t ever even getting out of the inner solar system,anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded and not a grown up
    Let’s focus on the planet we are on ,we’re stuck here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Very very... very very very very VERY doubtful. I dare say it's our destiny to become extinct on this rock, and I wouldn't put that event at too far a distance into the future either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think we'll do something with our own solar system but most become extinct here after we destroy it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes, but

Three ways we could do it

generation ships in hollowed out asteroids, very very slow

send out probes with frozen embryos, artificial wombs and robot teachers,
    ethics on this are a wee bit iffy

Wait until a star gets near ,
    with current achievable technology Ross 248 might be the one we'd get to soonest even though today there's nine stars closer.

525px-Near-stars-past-future-en.svg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nope, we will wipe ourselves out in the not too distant future and become extinct. Humans are ultimately incredibly violent towards each other and other life forms.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Wailin wrote: »
    Nope, we will wipe ourselves out in the not too distant future and become extinct. Humans are ultimately incredibly violent towards each other and other life forms.
    ;)

Not at all. The vast majority of human societies are at peace.

With the advancement of modern nuclear weapons it won't matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

the link actually says we are in the most peaceful period in history, despite what the social media says.

Yes but in 60 years time human population on this planet will exceed 10 billion and won't be slowing down either. Natural resources on this planet won't cope for much longer unless there is a massive breakthrough in scientific advancement. Famines, wars, plagues, etc. Sorry folks but lets be realistic here. In the 60's we landed on the moon with limited and dated technology. With the huge leaps and bounds since then, what have we actually done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Absolutely yes. The technological advances are getting faster and faster. Ion drives are just now becoming 'viable' in a lab environment. Give it a hundred years and who knows. in 500 we can't imagine. Humanity won't be wiped out by war. Maybe we'll be reduced dramatically, but doubtful if we will wipe ourselves out. Then again, I'm an optimist.

I reckon in the next 2-300 years we'll have (at the very least) generational ships or some sort of hypersleep that will allow interstellar travel. FTL ships might be beyond us unless another Einstein comes along and discovers a way to use some kind of 'warp' technology.

With the advancement of modern nuclear weapons it won't matter anyway.

We’ve had nuclear weapons for generations. There are now far fewer of them than 30 years ago. More does need to be done.

Yes but in 60 years time human population on this planet will exceed 10 billion and won't be slowing down either. Natural resources on this planet won't cope for much longer unless there is a massive breakthrough in scientific advancement. Famines, wars, plagues, etc. Sorry folks but lets be realistic here. In the 60's we landed on the moon with limited and dated technology. With the huge leaps and bounds since then, what have we actually done?

Yes we will add about 2B more people by 2050. But the rate of growth is slowing down. Clearly. There’s probably 2B added in your lifetime and 5B in your parents lifetime.

And we got fatter, had fewer wars, and fewer plagues.

Advertisement