Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to quit?

Options
  • 22-10-2017 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Hi all,

Been working in my job for 2.5 years. It was the first thing I applied for after finishing college, has nothing to do with my degree (which I don't mind as it's an arts degree so not particularly in demand), but it was a full time paid position so I jumped at it.

I was initially hired under the role of general office admin but quickly it seemed they realised I had a bit of potential and I got more and more duties - i'm now an account and project manager though I still have some general office duties which a few of us share as we don't have a designated receptionist or office manager.

I have often felt flustered and fed up but the last few weeks things have really come to a head. Essentially, the place is well run in some ways and not in others. A lot of extra things fall on my shoulders. Raising issues with management never really leads to any long term solutions. It is a very stressful environment and often requires a lot of overtime (which in fairness is paid as I am paid hourly for whatever hours I am clocked in for).

I was assigned a huge project which in most places i believe a team would look after but in my place I have been doing it all myself with the help of an external consultant. The place went from essentially 0% compliance to coming out of our first audit in an extremely good position with little critiques. My bosses didn't really acknowledge the level of work I have put in. They had to be prompted by our consultant to thank me for the work I put in. Our consultant was so taken aback by the way they responded he called me a few days later to let me know about a job opportunity he came across. He said he had never seen clients act the way my bosses acted at the end of the audit after doing so well. I should point out I haven't been given any extra money for this project, and it has involved me working evenings and spending whole weekends at home on it unpaid. They know this and haven't offered me anything. They haven't relieved me of any other duties so it has been a very stressful few months.

I am so hesitant to hand in my notice for 2 reasons - 1, it is expensive to live in Dublin and it's full time 35k per year. I am worried about getting something else well paid. The second reason is I am in the middle of this project and am worried it would be very unprofessional to leave during it considering I am the only one working on it.

My colleague called a meeting with my boss on Friday and one other colleague which ended up in me bursting into tears from being so overwhelmed. I was trying to get across how difficult things have been and I just kind of broke. I am deeply embarrassed by this as I am a grown woman and would never want something like that to happen in work in front of my boss, but this is how stressed and downbeat I am feeling at this stage (I should point out I have been present when other colleagues have been emotional and upset while meeting with my bosses).

Sorry for the long post but any advice or input would be much appreciated as I am feeling very down and stuck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In short....yes.
    You owe them nothing. Start applying for jobs, the experience you have will be invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I am so hesitant to hand in my notice for 2 reasons - 1, it is expensive to live in Dublin and it's full time 35k per year. I am worried about getting something else well paid. The second reason is I am in the middle of this project and am worried it would be very unprofessional to leave during it considering I am the only one working on it

Apply for other jobs and leave when you get an offer if it's an offer that you want to accept.

There will always be projects you will be working on. They will have to find someone else to do the work. It may not be the first time someone has left in the middle of a project and frankly you owe them nothing other than the appropriate notice should you accept an offer elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You can leave at any time, the timing is dictated by your requirements and not the company's. You are not irreplaceable; nobody is.

So rework your CV and start applying. Go to interviews, and if you find something that you like, hand in your notice, say thank for the great experience and that you will miss working there (i.e. don't burn bridges and leave on good terms), and move.

It really is as simple as that.

I am so hesitant to hand in my notice for 2 reasons - 1, it is expensive to live in Dublin and it's full time 35k per year. I am worried about getting something else well paid. The second reason is I am in the middle of this project and am worried it would be very unprofessional to leave during it considering I am the only one working on it.

My colleague called a meeting with my boss on Friday and one other colleague which ended up in me bursting into tears from being so overwhelmed. I was trying to get across how difficult things have been and I just kind of broke. I am deeply embarrassed by this as I am a grown woman and would never want something like that to happen in work in front of my boss, but this is how stressed and downbeat I am feeling at this stage (I should point out I have been present when other colleagues have been emotional and upset while meeting with my bosses).

Sorry for the long post but any advice or input would be much appreciated as I am feeling very down and stuck.

Go and interview for the other job and see what offer you get. Then you can make the decision on whether you hand in your notice or not.
    Don't worry so much about the project - it doesn't sound like any of them care anyway. Without meaning to sound trite, if you won the lotto or got hit by a bus tomorrow and didn't show up, they'd manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will go ahead and hand in my notice. I suppose I was looking to see did anyone come back and advise otherwise but everyone seems to be thinking along the same lines.

Thanks again, it was good to get it all off my chest somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Business is business. They know exactly what they have in you. But by the sounds of it. You don’t speak up. So they don’t do anything, management can be like this. Take you for granted. They know they are saving money.

By the sound of things you are an excellent and very hard working person. Tell them you want more money. If they don’t. Talk to the contractor who praised you. I’m sure he has some contact for you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will go ahead and hand in my notice. I suppose I was looking to see did anyone come back and advise otherwise but everyone seems to be thinking along the same lines.
    Just be sure that you have something better in the bag before you hand in your notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The second reason is I am in the middle of this project and am worried it would be very unprofessional to leave during it considering I am the only one working on it.
    From what you say, your job will always be giving you projects to do!
    Our consultant was so taken aback by the way they responded he called me a few days later to let me know about a job opportunity he came across.
    Check it out; it may match your current wage.

NO NOT HAND IN YOUR NOTICE UNTIL YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER JOB!!!

Its actually less stressful looking for a job when you have one already, and you're less likely to jump into a sh|t job as your funds are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JennyZ

Definitely keep applying for other jobs and hand in your notice as soon as you have something else lined up.

Thanks again, it was good to get it all off my chest somewhere!

Don't hand in your notice until you have something else lined up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i wouldn't hand in my notice till i had something in hand. making the decision to leave is the hardest one, but you've done it. now wait until you get something to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

If you can, stay put til you have a new job in writing. Maybe that external consultant would agree to be a referee on your CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

No.2 actually puts you in a better position to ask for more money/title and resources.

Why not have a meeting with them and say that you’ve been looking at the market salary for the skills you are utilising at their company and found you could achieve x figure more elsewhere.

Say that you would like to consider them giving you this plus 16 hours (should cover your overtime and weekend) of assistant resources towards the project.

If they say they can’t or a vague “see what we can do” then simply reply “I understand you may not be in a position to do this, however it is my understanding that other companies can which is why I’m asking”

And then leave it at that or repeat if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Thanks everyone for the responses. I won't hand in notice until I find something else! There's a few posts advertised I am interested in so will get applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will go ahead and hand in my notice. !

I'd advise against handing in your notice without another job to go to.

It can be harder to get another job when you are out of work. You would need to have a really good excuse for the next company as to why you are not currently working

I quit cos I didnt like the old job /couldnt handle it would ring alarm bells with any decent employer

Advertisement