Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild boar go on the rampage in Germany

Options
  • 22-10-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭

Just leaving this one here to show how aggressive and dangerous boar can become.
    Mods it's a German newspaper, so I dunno if our crazy censorship laws cover outside the ROI papers? ...Video is great BTW.Heard of a bull in a china shop, but a wild boar in an opticians? Maybe the boar did need to go to spec savers, as they are very short-sighted.:P

http://www.dw.com/en/wild-boars-terrorize-northern-german-city-of-heide/a-41051858

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just leaving this one here to show how aggressive and dangerous boar can become.
    Mods it's a German newspaper, so I dunno if our crazy censorship laws cover outside the ROI papers? ...Video is great BTW.Heard of a bull in a china shop, but a wild boar in an opticians? Maybe the boar did need to go to spec savers, as they are very short-sighted.:P

http://www.dw.com/en/wild-boars-terrorize-northern-german-city-of-heide/a-41051858

I think there's a mistake in the article, the good ole Polizei probably got a hunter in because their firearms immediately to hand were too weak to safely dispatch a boar...not too strong as stated. I for one wouldn't fancy the likely outcome of a boar wounded by a 9mm pistol or submachine gun round in an urban area. The type of 9mm out of Heinrich the hunter his double Merkel on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Does not look like a wild boar in video.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope,that's definitely a scrous scoufla European wild boar.Have hunted and shot enough of them to know one when I see one.:) It does seem to have some odd markings on it, but it could also be the CCTV,.If you pause the film the light play looks like it's got spots like a Tamworth hog.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I think there's a mistake in the article, the good ole Polizei probably got a hunter in because their firearms immediately to hand were too weak to safely dispatch a boar...not too strong as stated. I for one wouldn't fancy the likely outcome of a boar wounded by a 9mm pistol or submachine gun round in an urban area. The type of 9mm out of Heinrich the hunter his double Merkel on the other hand...

Or simply because it is the hunter's problem under German hunting and game laws?:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mods it's a German newspaper, so I dunno if our crazy censorship laws cover outside the ROI papers?

The copyright SI of 2011 states (in layman's terms)
    • You cannot copy and past the entire article
    • You cannot copy and paste paragraphs or parts of the article
    • You must place a link to the article
    • You cannot use the headline in your post or enough of it so as to draw viewers away from the article's/media website
    So once you describe the article in your own terms without using their words or exact phrases and place a link to the article you're fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Or simply because it is the hunter's problem under German hunting and game laws?:)

Same gist as Belgium is it ? The live game on the land belongs to the hunter or hunting syndicate that has the sporting rights while here and in the UK it only becomes your property by killing it while lawfully hunting it ?

Pretty much .If you are a landowner it doesn't automatically give you the hunting rights to the game.That belongs to whoever is leasing the hunting rights.
    BUT that also makes the holder of the hunting rights responsible for any damage caused by the wild game to crops or property.IE a fox massacres someone's pet hens, wild boar dig up five acres of spuds, etc.Hence hunting is a rather expensive pastime or lifestyle choice on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Pretty much .If you are a landowner it doesn't automatically give you the hunting rights to the game.That belongs to whoever is leasing the hunting rights.
    BUT that also makes the holder of the hunting rights responsible for any damage caused by the wild game to crops or property.IE a fox massacres someone's pet hens, wild boar dig up five acres of spuds, etc.Hence hunting is a rather expensive pastime or lifestyle choice on the continent.

My mate near Lubeck leased hunting rights on a neighbouring farm (at an extortionate cost) and then got a hefty bill when a herd of sows and piglets demolished acres of strawberries. He stuck to hunting on his own land after that. From some of his high seats you can watch the trophy Roebucks and big Boar feasting on strawberries just across the boundary.

It hasn't gone quite that far in Belgium but cull plans for boar and roe deer are compulsory and when pigeons, crows or rabbits are decimating a crop you're expected to deal with it. Expense wise it hasn't been too bad at all in Flanders until recently when people with more money than sense have started to "buy" shoots of retiring hunters. Nonsensical behaviour because the landowners can still decide to rescind their permission, which is exclusive, and grant it to someone else. Getting your hands on good roe and boar ground in the Ardennes area has always been a money game.

That's why most shoots are consortiums in Germany.The cost is prohibitive otherwise.There are compulsory cull plans as well in Germany, and the worst of them are the state forests.they do massive drives and just declare basically a "free fire" zone for a day or so and everything is taken.Lucky for us as your let is right next door to one.So we get everything that's spooked coming into our let.

Buying a let is possible, but you still need one vital thing the goodwill of the committee of the local farmers.Being German, they have themselves organised right down to village level to deal with local issues, roads across fields, crops etc.The leases are 10-year leases and they decide if you have been a good tenant or not.Usually decided on how fast you pay up the crop damage bill.:rolleyes:
    By the time you do the maths, your average roe deer and wild boar costs about a grand each PA.As I said it's a lifestyle choice rather than a hobby over there,as actually shooting something is about the 4% of the actual lease day to day life.

• Advertisement

My mate near Lubeck leased hunting rights on a neighbouring farm (at an extortionate cost) and then got a hefty bill when a herd of sows and piglets demolished acres of strawberries. He stuck to hunting on his own land after that. From some of his high seats you can watch the trophy Roebucks and big Boar feasting on strawberries just across the boundary.

So he owns his own land and has his hunting rights on it as well?Not sure what the hunting laws are up in Schleswig Holstein [We are in Bavaria].But he is a lucky [and rich?] fellah to have a set up like that.:)

So he owns his own land and has his hunting rights on it as well?Not sure what the hunting laws are up in Schleswig Holstein [We are in Bavaria].But he is a lucky [and rich?] fellah to have a set up like that.:)

Yes, the farm has been in the family generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Saw some cartridges for sale in France; 12 bore 36 gm containing 16 x 9 mm balls with a picture of deer fox and wild boar on the box. Wouldn'd fancy putting them through my 12 bore but would be curious how effective they were if they did not damage a gun. I assume you would need a cylinder barrel as the choke constriction would be a problem. Same shop had over and under rifles due to the language problem all I could do was look. Always assumed you would need a rifle for boar.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

Had a mate from New Zealand tell me he shoots wild boar with shotgun loaded with slugs and stated literally that if you pull the trigger before you can smell the boar you could be in trouble. Same guy out for a stroll one day had to stand on the roof of his car for hours as protection against an aggressive Boar .

Dai John wrote: »
    Saw some cartridges for sale in France; 12 bore 36 gm containing 16 x 9 mm balls with a picture of deer fox and wild boar on the box. Wouldn'd fancy putting them through my 12 bore but would be curious how effective they were if they did not damage a gun. I assume you would need a cylinder barrel as the choke constriction would be a problem. Same shop had over and under rifles due to the language problem all I could do was look. Always assumed you would need a rifle for boar.

Triple aught 000 9.1mm Buckshot.Work away thru any shotgun no bother. It was all the Germans could use in the very early post-war years for hunting under American army supervision. Still, have a couple of the genuine Winchester all brass military shells here.At close range in forest conditions, they are very effective out to 15 meters.Reason they work that well is some math formula that figures out that any hit from more than one 9mm pellet becomes an equivalency of three hits.If I understand that right.
    In some cases boar hunting you are better off with a shotgun and slugs than a rifle.Shots can be literally almost upon you or out to 100 meters.Hence the German invention of the Drilling. SXS shotgun with an underslung heavy cal rifle barrel.

Hence the German invention of the Drilling. SXS shotgun with an underslung heavy cal rifle barrel.

There's a story which may or may not be true about a German family who moved to Ireland in the 60's and bought a farm over here. They imported some guns including a Drilling. They licensed it as a shotgun by the simple expedient of storing cleaning rods down the rifle barrel and telling the Gardai that's all the 3rd barrel was for......;)

Never have seen an actual German Drilling here in Ireland. Bar a pic in the old Irish shooting news of a German lad here in Ireland who had a 12 GA sXS with a .22 barrel... A so-called "wald Laufer" [Forest runner]Rumour has it, there might be one or two about, courtesy of a Luftwaffe delivery via crash landing in the 1940s.Nice ,if someone does have one tucked away, they are sitting on about 50 grand if it has the gun and the survival kit with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Curious how some US States ban rifles for deer hunting, and stipulate shotgun+slugs instead.

Gamebore sold their "Special Game" cartridge here some years ago. Contained 9 9mm balls.

Probably they are states with populations of deer next to or close to urban areas??

Probably they are states with populations of deer next to or close to urban areas??

That's exactly what I was told by a hunter in Georgia.

• Advertisement

Never have seen an actual German Drilling here in Ireland. Bar a pic in the old Irish shooting times of a German lad here in Ireland who had a 12 GA sXS with a .22 barrel... A so-called "wald Laufer" [Forest runner]Rumour has it, there might be one or two about, courtesy of a Luftwaffe delivery via crash landing in the 1940s.Nice ,if someone does have one tucked away, they are sitting on about 50 grand if it has the gun and the survival kit with it.

Some of Sauer's finer guns I believe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Never have seen an actual German Drilling here in Ireland. Bar a pic in the old Irish shooting times of a German lad here in Ireland who had a 12 GA sXS with a .22 barrel... A so-called "wald Laufer" [Forest runner]Rumour has it, there might be one or two about, courtesy of a Luftwaffe delivery via crash landing in the 1940s.Nice ,if someone does have one tucked away, they are sitting on about 50 grand if it has the gun and the survival kit with it.

I've seen a couple in Hilltop over the years. Latest was several weeks ago when I was looking at what I think was a Sauer with a Charles Daly brand in 12G and what we thought was a 3030 barrel. It's an underlever double trigger with a top lever used to switch to the rifled barrel.
    Beautiful gun - probably still there.

Some of Sauer's finer guns I believe ?

Correct built from 1941 to 1942.2,456 of them issued.Current value with the complete kit 25,000 USD.Might pick up one in the UK a bit cheaper , as a few of them were found there, and were buggered up by having the rifle bore chopped out to 9mm Flobert or sleeved to .22
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/j-p-sauer-m30-luftwaffe-survival-drilling-12-gauge-9-3x74rmm-s6822/
    I've seen a couple in Hilltop over the years. Latest was several weeks ago when I was looking at what I think was a Sauer with a Charles Daly brand in 12G and what we thought was a 3030 barrel. It's an underlever double trigger with a top lever used to switch to the rifled barrel.

That's an oldie and an antique! Charles Daley imported them into the US from 1900 to 1915, and yes the 30/30 fits alright. That gun has some well intresting history behind it no doubt. Any idea of the price tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

[QUOTE=Grizzly 45;
    That's an oldie and an antique! Charles Daley imported them into the US from 1900 to 1915, and yes the 30/30 fits alright. That gun has some well intresting history behind it no doubt. Any idea of the price tag?[/QUOTE]

No idea of a price, it had just arrived when I saw it. We reckoned it was probably a late build from the serial number.

Rosahane wrote: »

The Charles Daly branded gun would make a lot of sense. I think they originally were actual gunmakers but switched their main activity to importing and branding good quality guns from Europe to the US after WWI. If my memory doesn't let me down Germany and Belgium were the principal source countries for Charles Daly branded guns.

Advertisement