Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi Box. Worth a punt?

• 22-10-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I need to upgrade my streaming box and am considering ordering a Xiaomi Mi Box.

I seen there are a few threads on the forum about this box and people seem to have mixed reviews about it.

This box was released quite some time ago so I was just wondering if people think it's still worth buying as the specs are not really that fantastic.

Also it seems to be stuck on android 6.0 and I'm not sure if Xiaomi are still pushing out software updates for it, can anyone confirm?

Would love any feedback from people who are using this box currently.

The cheapest I have found online so far is here

Hope to hear some feedback from some of you

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hardware specs are largely irrelevant IMO and the Mi Box will play any 1080p, 4K content without any issues.

IMO, its the still the 2nd best Android box on the market with the nVidia Shield being the best.
    Official Android TV interface and excellent BT remote means its very very easy to use.
    As it a Google cerified device it'll play Youtube 4K and Netlfix 4K/5.1 sound content that the other cheaper devices won't.

Its got an excellent wireless chip/antenna setup when matched with the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 using 5GHz Wifi will stream high bit-rate 1080p and 4K content with no buffering problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Also, if you are buying, make sure it is the International version, and if you do not mind waiting, i would expect it to drop in price in the coming weeks for a short sale. It normally drops to between €40 - €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Why does it not take an ethernet cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    Why does it not take an ethernet cable?

you can add ethernet via usb if its an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Suckit wrote: »
    Also, if you are buying, make sure it is the International version, and if you do not mind waiting, i would expect it to drop in price in the coming weeks for a short sale. It normally drops to between €40 - €50.

What site do you think it'll be on sale from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

doylefe wrote: »

I just ordered one from eBay using parcel motel.
    About €72 delivered.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122355472779
    Also would this work to make ethernet connection?

USB Network Adapter,TechRise High Speed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JS7U3GQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KME7zbYWX2YP6

I am looking for one too, but i am not in any rush.
    I am watching
    Lightinthebox
    Banggood
    Tomtop
    Geekbuying

There are other sites, but i find these sites suit me if i ever have any issues.
    The sales are usually done with coupon codes so that they can track the amount.

Just missed a code on Tomtop MIBOX54 so hopefully it will come back when they remove the 'promo' tag.
    If i see any codes i will add them here.

iggy wrote: »
    Also would this work to make ethernet connection?

USB Network Adapter,TechRise High Speed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JS7U3GQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KME7zbYWX2YP6

It should, but some do not work. A tried and tested one that does work on the official box is the UGreen adaptor
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=ugreen+usb+ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks for the replies lads.

If anyone does find a code for a mi box can you please post it here

Doing some reading looks like the Mi Box doesn't support refresh rate switching...even with the Android 7.0 beta.

• Advertisement

Doing some reading looks like the Mi Box doesn't support refresh rate switching...even with the Android 7.0 beta.

What does this mean?

Will it still play 4k?

What does this mean?

Will it still play 4k?

It will. Ideally if you are playing 24p (23.976fps) content you want the TV to run at 24hz. If the TV is running at 60hz, you will get judder, or skipped frames because 60 divided 24 is not even. This applies to all resolutions not just 4k.

Most Netflix content and downloaded movies are 24p or 30p.

Depending on your TV there may be a setting which removes judder when 24p content is played at 60hz.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Do these boxes recieve Over The Air updates ? Currently have a Minix x8h which has been excellent but is now stuck on android kikat. Would this be as good as Minix Boxes ?
    Would love to buy a shield but that may be overkill for my streaming needs.

Do these boxes recieve Over The Air updates ? Currently have a Minix x8h which has been excellent but is now stuck on android kikat. Would this be as good as Minix Boxes ?
    Would love to buy a shield but that may be overkill for my streaming needs.

Yes, they have OTA updates or you can perform it manually if you prefer or if it doesn't take etc.

I am hoping in the next week or so that they will be on sale somewhere for singles day (11/11). Sales have started already on some sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Got a Mi box a few weeks ago. Am happy with it so far in terms of response, picture quality, remote, android tv interface, logitech harmony remote use.
    But have 2 issues.

1. The main deciding reason I went for the mi box, was that it can receive full HD 5.1 netflix. So signed up for an account, interface on the app very smooth, but any stream stops after 20 secs. And get an error on screen. After much searching, seems that netflix looks for hdcp handshake on all connected devices. The mi box doesnt pick it up from my 2012 pioneer Av receiver and/or 2012 LG tv (tried different leads, ports, direct, indirect). So not sure is it the TV or the box. Have a splitter on the way, which may sort it. But, as is, I can not use the box for Netflix on my current set up.
    2. I've connected a 1tb external hdd, which is set as internal storage. However, when the box goes to deep sleep, it fails to wake the hdd when reactived, which then tells me that the usb hdd is disconnected. Need to physically unplug and plug the hdd again to get it working. Got around thus by setting it never to sleep, which is fine in short term, but will kill the hdd long term. (have a seagate expansion external hdd). Not sure if this is a seagate, thing or if a powered hdd would work better.

Issue 2, is ok atm with work around. May change to a thumb drive in future. Issue 1 is very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Slevster wrote: »
    Got a Mi box a few weeks ago. Am happy with it so far in terms of response, picture quality, remote, android tv interface, logitech harmony remote use.
    But have 2 issues.

1. The main deciding reason I went for the mi box, was that it can receive full HD 5.1 netflix. So signed up for an account, interface on the app very smooth, but any stream stops after 20 secs. And get an error on screen. After much searching, seems that netflix looks for hdcp handshake on all connected devices. The mi box doesnt pick it up from my 2012 pioneer Av receiver and/or 2012 LG tv (tried different leads, ports, direct, indirect). So not sure is it the TV or the box. Have a splitter on the way, which may sort it. But, as is, I can not use the box for Netflix on my current set up.
    2. I've connected a 1tb external hdd, which is set as internal storage. However, when the box goes to deep sleep, it fails to wake the hdd when reactived, which then tells me that the usb hdd is disconnected. Need to physically unplug and plug the hdd again to get it working. Got around thus by setting it never to sleep, which is fine in short term, but will kill the hdd long term. (have a seagate expansion external hdd). Not sure if this is a seagate, thing or if a powered hdd would work better.

Issue 2, is ok atm with work around. May change to a thumb drive in future. Issue 1 is very frustrating.

That was pretty helpful. Cheers for posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Slevster,

I had an issue with audio drops on a 5.1 surround system using netflix every few seconds. the issue was resolved by performing a hardware reset.. Have you tried this as it appears to fix a lot of issues on the mi box

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Slevster,

I had an issue with audio drops on a 5.1 surround system using netflix every few seconds. the issue was resolved by performing a hardware reset.. Have you tried this as it appears to fix a lot of issues on the mi box

That's true, but how that I have invested time in customisation and putting media on the hdd, before finding the issue with netflix. So to do a factory reset, everything would be wiped.
    Have ordered the splitter , and will see doers it do the job. Will report back

(I assume a factory reset would wipe the internal storage?)

Does "hdmi self adaption" (framerate switching) work on this box?

That's true, but how that I have invested time in customisation and putting media on the hdd, before finding the issue with netflix. So to do a factory reset, everything would be wiped.
    Have ordered the splitter , and will see doers it do the job. Will report back

(I assume a factory reset would wipe the internal storage?)

I understand, it took me an hour to reconfigure everything the way i wanted it..
    If everything else fails i would try it though..

I have the nvidea shield as well as the mi box and to be fair as a streamer it is as good.. I use the mi box for netflix 5.1, iptv streaming and 1080p kodi local playback, all works rock solid now. I dont use it yet for 4k netflix so cant comment on that aspect. You can also cast to the box which can be very handy!

It doesn't have the raw horse power of the shield, or the unrivaled support but I would recommend the mi box as the next best android streamer box apart from the Shield

• Advertisement

I understand, it took me an hour to reconfigure everything the way i wanted it..
    If everything else fails i would try it though..

I have the nvidea shield as well as the mi box and to be fair as a streamer it is as good.. I use the mi box for netflix 5.1, iptv streaming and 1080p kodi local playback, all works rock solid now. I dont use it yet for 4k netflix so cant comment on that aspect.

only certain devices are certified / will get you netflix on 4k.

mi box isn't one of them.

check the answer to "Do other devices support Ultra HD streaming with Netflix?"
    on this link
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444#do-other-devices-support-ultra-hd-streaming-with-netflix-

glasso wrote: »
    only certain devices are certified / will get you netflix on 4k.

mi box isn't one of them.

check the answer to "Do other devices support Ultra HD streaming with Netflix?"
    on this link
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444#do-other-devices-support-ultra-hd-streaming-with-netflix-

Hi

not 100% sure if it can or cant do 4k netflix, lots of reports say it does anyway heres an interesting breakdown on a review of the mi box

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083

Mi Box International version does Netflix 4K by all accounts

Mi Box International version does Netflix 4K by all accounts

fair enough. that's a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mi Box will do Netflix 4K as long as all devices it connects to are HDCP 2.2 compatible, that is TV and AV receiver if used also.

Guys do you think a mi box would be an upgrade from a wetek play 1?

I like how the wetek runs on libreelec and gets constant updates.

I was all for buying a mi box but after watching some videos I'm not sure I like the Android tv interface.

Obviously the wetek doesn't have 4k but it does have an ethernet port unlike the mi box.

What do you guys think?

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-381148.html
    ~€68.58 isn't too bad for European stock, guaranteed no customs / handling fees.

I bought one for €57 a few weeks ago, HK stock. Potentially an extra 23% + 10 euro handling fee if nabbed by customs.

Someone posted this on another thread guys:

Mi box available on Geekbuying for €51 using code AHZKYUGF

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

Haven't tried the coupon code yet myself to see if it works

Someone posted this on another thread guys:

Mi box available on Geekbuying for €51 using code AHZKYUGF

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

I meant to post it yesterday and forgot. Code works.

• Advertisement

Hi Slevster,

So...
    Received the hdcp stripper, but no joy. Wiped and factory reset, but still no joy with netflix. Last thing to try is a different hdmi cable (have been using 2 types with no joy. The cables are from 2012, but should be ok. But in the interest of ruling everything out, will try)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Would Aer TV work on this? Just trying to find a legitimate way for my parents to watch TV without using a phone or a tablet to cast. Thanks a million.

pcadhain wrote: »
    Would Aer TV work on this? Just trying to find a legitimate way for my parents to watch TV without using a phone or a tablet to cast. Thanks a million.

It should yes. I can not see any reason why it would not, but i have not tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

pcadhain wrote: »
    If they watch RTE(not sure why anyone would but tastes differ I know) , this app should soon be available
    [url] https://us.finconsgroup.com/case-studies/rte-next-generation-rte-player/[/url]
    May 31st, 2017
    RTÉ Player is Ireland’s number-one broadcaster video-on-demand service that delivers an average of 4.2 million streams per month, and 1.7 million unique browsers per month.

Signifying changing viewing habits, live viewing on RTÉ Player was up by 74% on 2015 volumes, with 20% of monthly streams being live in 2016.

RTÉ Player’s offering continued to evolve in 2016, moving away from being a purely catch-up service, with the commissioning of more online-exclusive content and extra content around some the most popular RTÉ Television series and events of the year, as well as the addition of new permanent content hubs, including Doc Hub, Food Hub and Arts Hub. Together the online extras and exclusive shorts on RTÉ Player attracted over 3 million streams.

In order to meet the changing needs of audiences, RTÉ has planned to launch, by the end of the 2017, the next generation RTÉ Player.

RTÉ Player will be transformed from being a pure catch-up TV service, to being a world-class live and on-demand online TV and video platform.

The product will be rebuilt from the ground up to ensure technical reliability, and new functionalities will be added, such as live restart and autoplay.

The redeveloped RTÉ Player will be available across web, iOS, Android, connected TVs and OTT services, including Saorview, Chromecast, Android TV and Apple TV and will offer a number of new features:
      - on-demand libraries with hundreds of titles from across the genres box-sets
      - new short-form contents, exclusive to RTÉ Player
      - RTÉ’s television channels live, on any screen

Just a follow up.
    I can not get the box to play netflix for longer than 20 secs with the HD subscription on my 2012 lg tv. (have tried different cables, ports, direct and indirect connections, hdcp stripper, factory reset . Have also tried on a Toshiba tv from about 2012. Have not tried on newer tv).
    I contacted Netflix, got chatting to one of their tech dudes, who said that they are aware of an issue with netflix and mi box. They are working with xiaomi to find a solution. But when and if?

From looking on line, it does not seem to be an issue across the board. Some boxes seem to suffer more. (I have to think that it's some issue with the handshake and details not been recognised. Drminfo, shows hdcp unsupported for any of the connections I tried. My Google of the TV and av receiver doesn't throw up any issues with hdcp on those devices).

I got mine from Gearbest around end of August. It's a good box apart from netflix (can sideboard the tablet version and use that, but lose HD and 5.1).

So, if the reason to buy is mainly Netflix in HD (can't comment on 4k), and 5.1, then proceed with caution, everything else is good.

(question for those with the mi box or android tv - I can't get VLC to output any dolby, eg DTS, DD in anything but 2 channel. I read somewhere that it could be a licence thing. Any else notice this?)

(question for those with the mi box or android tv - I can't get VLC to output any dolby, eg DTS, DD in anything but 2 channel. I read somewhere that it could be a licence thing. Any else notice this?)

Do you have the box plugged directly into an AV receiver? If it's plugged into the TV, then the TV is connect to AVR with ARC or optical, lots of TVs will report to Android that it is a stereo only device.

And yes the Shield and probably Mi box lack licencing for audio, so only support pass through.

• Advertisement

Do you have the box plugged directly into an AV receiver? If it's plugged into the TV, then the TV is connect to AVR with ARC or optical, lots of TVs will report to Android that it is a stereo only device.

And yes the Shield and probably Mi box lack licencing for audio, so only support pass through.

Directly to av receiver. No big deal. But just feel that the pq is a little sharper on vlc than kodi, and perfer vlc layout. But Kodi allows the audio to passthrough perfectly, and it does handle the files very well too. - ( just to clarify, does vlc on the shield allow audio passthrough to the AVR, so that the AVR decodes? - which is what I was hoping for, but can't)

It is €45.69 on Banggood at the minute. But they seem to be having some difficulty. I am not sure if it is traffic or what is happening.

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-Amlogic-S905X-2GB-RAM-8GB-ROM-TV-Box-International-Version-p-1182281.html

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

It is €45.69 on Banggood at the minute. But they seem to be having some difficulty. I am not sure if it is traffic or what is happening.

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-Amlogic-S905X-2GB-RAM-8GB-ROM-TV-Box-International-Version-p-1182281.html

Is there a code or something ? Not seeing that price

Is there a code or something ? Not seeing that price

There seems to be a problem with the page. It loads up and "SALE Black Friday" appears in the image and the price rises.

Must be a mistake. Refresh the page and you should see the price the promotion is supposed to be. No code.

Can't seem To get the 45.69 price

Will keep an eye on the page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

Available for €51.47($60.99) on Geekbuying now, using code GEEKBUYING before checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Got a mi box and Netflix isn't working. Yiutube stalls also. Seems to be the problem I've now seen queried online. Most threads are from 7 or 8 months ago though. Has the issue ever been sorted or should I just try return the box? Don't want it to be money down the drain. Very frustrating that it doesn't just work straight out of the box,especially considering Netflix is a service around for so long.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Got a mi box and Netflix isn't working. Yiutube stalls also. Seems to be the problem I've now seen queried online. Most threads are from 7 or 8 months ago though. Has the issue ever been sorted or should I just try return the box? Don't want it to be money down the drain. Very frustrating that it doesn't just work straight out of the box,especially considering Netflix is a service around for so long.

It may require updates. Afaik those type of issues haven't been issues for a log time, even then I think they were limited. Oreo came out had a lot of issues and they have returned to Oreo beta.
    What version of firmware it is running?

It may require updates. Afaik those type of issues haven't been issues for a log time, even then I think they were limited. Oreo came out had a lot of issues and they have returned to Oreo beta.
    What version of firmware it is running?

As far as I know it's running Android 6.0. I assume Oreo is an update on this?

Internet is rubbish in my house so I'll bring it to a friend's house tonight and see if there is an update available. Hopefully that sorts it. Bought it as a replacement for an old Apple TV I had and was very frustrating that it just kept crashing last night.

As far as I know it's running Android 6.0. I assume Oreo is an update on this?

Internet is rubbish in my house so I'll bring it to a friend's house tonight and see if there is an update available. Hopefully that sorts it. Bought it as a replacement for an old Apple TV I had and was very frustrating that it just kept crashing last night.

Yeah, update should sort it.
    Although coincidentally, the latest update (Android 8.0/Oreo) has caused issues for many, but being fixed now. It won't/shouldn't affect you.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-box-android-oreo-beta-re-opened/
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/07/xiaomi-mi-box-android-tv-oreo-update-halted-returns-to-beta-status.html

I updated my box and it's now on 6.0.1 it's not offering any further update than that.

Netflix issue still occuring.

YouTube stalls also.

I updated my box and it's now on 6.0.1 it's not offering any further update than that.

Netflix issue still occuring.

YouTube stalls also.

Just curious, but where did you buy it?

It is a bit behind in updates, even though there was a couple of stagnant beta's.

Might get some help here - https://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/xiaomi-mi-box-mi-tv-mi-projector.116/

https://beebom.com/how-update-mi-box-android-nougat/

Just curious, but where did you buy it?

It is a bit behind in updates, even though there was a couple of stagnant beta's.

Might get some help here - https://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/xiaomi-mi-box-mi-tv-mi-projector.116/

https://beebom.com/how-update-mi-box-android-nougat/

Bought it from Geekbuying on Monday.

Will give that a lash, thanks.

Looks like the box is just faulty.

Updated to 7.0. still getting the same error when trying to watch Netflix.

It is offering me a further update but when I finalised and install it is shows an error when the box restarts and it just pushes me back to the same spot again.

From reading online the only way people seem to have been able to solve the issue is by exchanging the box for another one.

Anyone ever done a return or exchange with geekbuying before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Quick question before I order. Is this Amazon listing the right / best version? Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement