Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Swing ?

Options
  • 22-10-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Spanish Masters

Garcia a major champion now, has a very unconventional swing.

Then you have a few other top golfer who didn't fit the perfect idea either.

Any swings you have loved - I think for me I always loved Faldo at his best but the game changer for me was the raw speed and power of Tiger as a young lad

Anyway - I was self taught and have struggled to accept that the swing I have is the one I have - I've tried to change it with some success (most guys above have changed too) , I've still a long swing , a bit disconnected, over the top and too fast.

But there is hope in that - you can hit the ball ok with a swing that isn't perfect. Better than ok - some have won majors .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

You’re mistaking form with function. The perfect swing is the most functional one not the one that looks the best.

Your swing also can’t be too fast unless you’re hitting the ball too far. Fast means speed. Your swing maybe too quick but it’s rarely too fast.

By over the top, how much over the top? A swing path that’s 2 degrees out to in is over the top but that swing path would be very desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You’re mistaking form with function. The perfect swing is the most functional one not the one that looks the best.

Your swing also can’t be too fast unless you’re hitting the ball too far. Fast means speed. Your swing maybe too quick but it’s rarely too fast.

By over the top, how much over the top? A swing path that’s 2 degrees out to in is over the top but that swing path would be very desirable.

A good swing is - 1.7 degree Club Path - but when I have bad days or lazy days, I'm - 6 - 7 . It is a constant battle to reduce that.

I didn't say anything about function and I'm saying it is interesting that people get results with all sorts of swings. Even at the top of the game.

I don't get the distinction of fast - speed - quick. I know you do a bit of work in this area - but they seems poor words as technically similar ?

By too fast - I have a high swing speed of 112 mph with driver - yes I accept this speed/fast is useful - but my tempo over the full swing makes the action very inconsistent and lacking repeat-ability. This combined with a disconnection of arms with body is a combination of anything can happen from a score of 72 to a 90+.

I still live with it and love it. But bloody frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tigers swing for me was just incredible. Like a coiled spring unwinding.

Tigers swing for me was just incredible. Like a coiled spring unwinding.

Love it.

So much speed - but looks in total control.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Raphael Jaquelin probably has the most "perfect"ly smooth swing I've ever seen. It has made him a nice living but hasn't really done an awful lot. However, it's the type of swing that could earn him a fortune on the Senior Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A good swing is - 1.7 degree Club Path - but when I have bad days or lazy days, I'm - 6 - 7 . It is a constant battle to reduce that.

I didn't say anything about function and I'm saying it is interesting that people get results with all sorts of swings. Even at the top of the game.

I don't get the distinction of fast - speed - quick. I know you do a bit of work in this area - but they seems poor words as technically similar ?

By too fast - I have a high swing speed of 112 mph with driver - yes I accept this speed/fast is useful - but my tempo over the full swing makes the action very inconsistent and lacking repeat-ability. This combined with a disconnection of arms with body is a combination of anything can happen from a score of 72 to a 90+.

I still live with it and love it. But bloody frustrating.
    Read and article many years ago go that argued that all the speed in the world is fine and you in essence can never swing fast enough. However, it’s tempo that’s the killer for most ametuers. That’s the hardest part to get consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

A few years back i 'decided' i would be a better golfer if my swing 'looked' better and was more 'similar' to a modern conventional swing. What followed was a few wasted years as I really didn't have a clue what I wanted to achieve or how to achieve it.

For the past year my only focus has been tempo and strike and my long isn't as long but my average is better and straighter. ie one 260 yard carry every 10 drives vs 240 yard carries every 6/10 drives.

I'm a better golfer since I restrained my urge to take a 'big swipe' at it. I've also learned a bit more about where i should be striking it on the driver face as opposed to assuming if I take a monstrous hit at it it will go further no matter where i impact the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If you wound all those swings on they well be very close to identical at impact.

Swing speed is something that you either have or haven't to add additional speed is one of the hardest things.
    When learning you should be hitting it as hard as possible without loosing posture or balance.

As amateurs the most we do is make tweaks to what we first learned, I see the juniors in my club and they have had great coaching and all have a almost picture perfect swing.

Most are now into single figures as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cellosid

Voted the best swing on the European Tour by his peers.

He is a keen student of swing mechanics, .......has a largely self taught swing and is now Coach to some Tour Pros when not competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Freddy Couples.

Just so smooth - a joy to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Freddie's swing is nice. Not overly impressed with Rock's.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Rock the best swing on tour , really ? If it is then his short game must really stink the joint out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Are swings supposed to be perfect? Thought impact is all that matters. It's not a feckin fashion show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Adam Scott's swing is considered the most admired one on tour I believe. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, he modeled that swing on Woods' swing from 2000.
    For me I've always been an admirer of Oosthuizen's swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I've always liked Justin Rose's swing. And going way back, Byron Nelson had a lovely swing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

The esthetics of the swing is what draws most people.
    Mcilroys does it for me . Scott a close second
    I like Luke Donald's from a timing perspective , beautiful rhythm
    I like the simplicity of spieths swing
    Ernie els , what can you say

Ugliest swing Jim furyk hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I like Adam Scott's and Justin Rose's swings. Justin makes it look very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’d agree Scott and Rose probably have the best looking swings on tour but impact is king as was mentioned above - just look at Furyk, one of the best drivers and ballstrikers in the last 30 years

I love Jim furyks swing. Keeps club head outside the hands right to the top and when he begins his descent he's right *in the slot* the whole way down.

Peter kostas does an analysis of his posture on a slowmo up on youtube and its magic to see just how perfect his spine angle stays right through the shot.

Check it out. Furyks swing is a great lesson in mechanics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rikand wrote: »
    I love Jim furyks swing. Keeps club head outside the hands right to the top and when he begins his descent he's right *in the slot* the whole way down.

Peter kostas does an analysis of his posture on a slowmo up on youtube and its magic to see just how perfect his spine angle stays right through the shot.

Check it out. Furyks swing is a great lesson in mechanics
    This one?

Edit: Actually this one is also very good:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Freddy Couples - end of debate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

I love Furyk's swing as well. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Notice that from hip level through impact all pro swings , Furyk's included, are practically the same. They have to be to square the club face consistently.

Sure it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as some swings but Furyk is an example of what golf is actually all about in the final summation, your score. He has enjoyed a very lucrative career and has a major to his name with that swing.

If I could have a swing that I could trust that helped me score but made me look like 'an octopus trying to chop wood inside a phone booth'* I'd take it 10 times out of 10.

*Gary McCord and Feherty describing Furyk's swing.

lads. I get the whole impact thing.

But Furyks swing is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree totally.. how it works is beyond me!

lads. I get the whole impact thing.

People say he has an awful swing, but his swing is textbook. Its his body movement which makes it look so wierd.

Lets take a look at the back swing first of all.

Screenshot_2017_10_27_Perfect_Swing.png

First of all, top screenshot - As he takes his hands back, when the head of the club and his hands are in parallel, they represent a "perfect" line straight down his target line. Look at his feet. If you draw two lines out, one along his toes and one down the shaft of the club and point them into the distance, they will point to the same target always, no matter how far into the distance you are looking.

Second screenshot then shoes his club position at the top of his backswing and once again toes/club head, completely perpendicular to each other and once again, the toes and the shaft are paralell, so you can imagine the shaft as an infinite line into the distance and his toes, they are heading to the same place.

So many people, myself included, take the club back way inside or way outside and when we get to the top, the shaft is pointing way right or way left and then there's a whole lot of making up that needs to be done. Not so with Furyk, everything is perfectly on plane!

Screenshot_2017_10_27_Perfect_Swing_1.png

Now lets look at the down swing - Once he begins his descent looking at the bottom screenshot, if you take a line out from the top of the shaft and point it at the ground, it will point directly at the ball. Moving to the top screenshot, a little further down in the swing, again take the same line and again it will point straight at the ball. textbook!

Why his swing looks so horrific, his body turn - you can see how much he has already thrown his body forward. When he makes contact with the ball, his belt buckle is already pointing straight at the target. Thats where he generates his power. His body is like a coiled spring and the coiling moves laterally rather than vertically as with most other golfers. Golfers with *beautiful* swings.

I wouldnt want to move my body in the same was as Furyk, but I definitely wouldnt mind my swing to look like his

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

lads.  I get the whole impact thing.

If you think Furyk's swing is rotten, you don't get the whole impact thing at all.

If you think Furyk's swing is rotten, you don't get the whole impact thing at all.

Your the one who said there is form and function - I agree. Jim has a legend career - but from thread above you can see aesthetics of a golfer is something people enjoy - the same names come up.

I do understand the impact thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I think David Feherty compared Fury's swing to an octopus in a phone box. Funny man. (no doubt I'll be corrected shortly by someone saying "nah what actually said was....")! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nobody knows what a good swing is.
    All they discuss is cosmetics and style.

Furyk and Boom Boom are virtually identical in their ranking of how well they have played golf compared to the general golf playing population, and even among a very tiny subset of worlds best golfers. Yet people can say Freddy has a great swing and Jim's is faulty. It is nonsense.
    As if people were saying Hamilton is going to win the F1 because his car is painted silver, and silver is faster than red.

The search for the perfect swing is a very interesting topic - but the surface hasnt even been scratched in truly inderstanding it. Instead, people talk cosmetics at best, and bullshît otherwise.

Advertisement